Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

Favourite boss battle?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

After completeing the game yesterday, sadly through accidently taking the evil route, I've faced the majority of boss battles but each one has been an absolute beast of a battle and easily some of my favourite boss battles this year. 

Favourite one though easily goes to the Old Monk,
    after all with the actual boss battle going against a random player that alone has it with so many possibilities. First time i went up against some dude equipped with the what I could tell, the Dragon smasher who also had himself a good deal of healing items. Second time it was a total turn around when i owned some lightly armored guy who was using glorified fingernails aka the claw weapons =P 

HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HaniBall

Yeah, the guy I fought had LOTS of grass on him. We went back and forth forever. Part of my strategy is to light them on fire with a dragon axe and then go around the back. The constant spells spamming from him didn't make that easier. But I got him eventually :p

p.s. I think I read somewhere the claw guy is the offline default opponent?

My fave? ... Probably maneater. Following him around the dark night skies to see where he is landing next and then timing my next R1 roll is priceless.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By dbz1995

Fighting that Tower Knight was awesome.

yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By yyZiggurat

The False King was fun.  He made me put all my skills to use and I'm looking forward to fighting him again in NG+.  Sadly, my friend just beat him by sniping him before the fight started.

@joest01 said:

" p.s. I think I read somewhere the claw guy is the offline default opponent? "
    Yeah, I fought him on my first playthrough because

If anyone within 10 levels of 110 wants to fight, message me.  I don't have a Red Soulstone but we'll figure something out.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Gabriel

Probably Maiden Astrea, felt really bad for killing her, And the Adjucator because you get the meat cleaver my favorite weapon
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By trophyhunter

Maiden Astrea's fight was actually really sad 

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dbz1995

I was scared out of my life when the Old Monk made me a Black Phantom. It was pretty awesome, though. I did have one problem-it was annoying that you could use healing items. It quickly became a fight for who had more healing items, and, because I store mine up when I really need them, I had none. So technically, I killed the dude 3 times and he killed me once-but he won.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Abyssfull said:

"
    After completeing the game yesterday, sadly through accidently taking the evil route, I've faced the majority of boss battles but each one has been an absolute beast of a battle and easily some of my favourite boss battles this year. 

"

All the bosses were great--and I never used a blue phantom helper, btw.  False King soul sucked my character, the first time I fought him--I finally got him on the 3rd try.  Even the blue dragon was fun--with clever rat's ring (with life <30%), sticky compound long bow +5 (dex ~30), I was dealing ~140 damage per heavy arrow and the fight wasn't tedious at all. 

The dragon (EDIT) god was my favourite boss...the whole sequence was great: from the hallway run up to the epic music in the end.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Turambar

Tower Knight via melee is pretty awesome.  The fight is far less of an adrenalin rush when you're shooting him from the ramparts.

Also, while it's pretty much a gimmick fight, the Dragon God was very cool just because of the sheer size and scale.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By aurahack

Tower Knight. The sense of scale, the music, the strategy when going at him with spears/swords and the constant "OH SHIT!!!" as he moves. And when he falls down... Man... so glorious. I felt like I had beaten the game when I beat him.

Penetrator is also pretty neat just by how insane his attacks are. Shame he's such a pushover. Storm King is also awesome. Most boss battles that came off as awesome for me really were the big-scale ones. The game pulls off that "This is too much for me!" feeling really well. The music and the arenas you fight the bosses in quickly establish a really strong atmosphere.

Avatar image for everybody_poops
    Everybody_Poops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Everybody_Poops

Man Eater was really hard for me. It forced me to get really good at my mellee skills and I grinded up to the Vicous Compound Long Bow +4. So far, Maneater was my favourite fight just because of how hard it was. Perhaps the Flame Lurker or w/e he's called would have been harder but I wanted to try out summoning so I did and the dude went and completly pwnd him.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By handlas
    @Everybody_Poops said:
    " Man Eater was really hard for me. It forced me to get really good at my mellee skills and I grinded up to the Vicous Compound Long Bow +4. So far, Maneater was my favourite fight just because of how hard it was. Perhaps the Flame Lurker or w/e he's called would have been harder but I wanted to try out summoning so I did and the dude went and completly pwnd him. "
    I'm fighting him now.  Frustrating as hell.  He really seems like an incredibly easy boss but he manages to bullshit me ever single time and then I gotta run all the way back up the stairs to fight him again....god it is annoying.

Seems like he can't handle being rushed at.  I keep rushing at him with my long sword and hitting him and he leaps at me afterwards and I just dodge it.  I keep doing that until he takes to the air.  Then he floats around so I can't hit him seeing how I'm a priest with no good long range weapons other than God's Wrath (which they still need to be pretty close to get hit).  I've almost beat him a couple time just to get hit by a projectile and pushed off the side of the walkway.

....and don't get me started on when he randomly decides to duplicate himself.  At that point I just say....ya I'm screwed now.  Almost beat them both using God's Wrath until...yep...pushed off the ledge.  The most annoying thing, however, is when he hits you and right as you are standing back up (when you can't do anything to block or dodge) and he hits you again.  3 hits and I'm dead.  1 if he is glowing green.

Most annoying boss thus far.
    Avatar image for everybody_poops
    Everybody_Poops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Everybody_Poops
    @handlas: I pimped up my bow and then would run across the bridge and get some good shots in while he tried to catch up to me.
    If you need to mellee then just circle around him and hopefully dodge his attacks, roll backwards when he does cause that means a magic wall is coming. If you dodge to the left or right every time he attacks you while dodge both the punches and the charge thing.
    Man eater was really hard, but boy was it fun. As soon as you walk through that fog wall it just felt like balls to the wall action. The next boss I fought was Old Hero. I was hoping the fog wall wasnt a boss because I still had my real body from beating maneater. I expected to get raped by Old Hero. I didnt even get hit. He's peanuts compared to Maneater. Hell, I think even the Penetrator is peanuts compared to Maneater.

Just persevere my friend. Or you could do what I did and farm 4-2 for souls and rank up.

Edit: The first time I managed to kill one of the maneaters, Nelly Furtado's "Man Eater" was playing. And it happened by random.  Unfortunetly the 2nd one killed me and I was so close. Fuck that wouldave been a great co-incedence.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By handlas
    @Everybody_Poops: Welp I beat him finally.  Just went on an all out attack.  Killed the first one quickly and then took my time on the 2nd one.

Then comes the Old Monk boss...haha so easy.  But that boss can actually be another player sometimes can't it? 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xyzygy

So far my favorite was the Penetrator. I don't know why. I really liked timing the dodges to his attacks. The fact that he had a one hit kill move was exhilarating too. The Dirty Goblin (Goblin? Colossus? Golem?) was an absolute joke, same with Leechmonger. I died the first time with Leech cuz I fell of the edge, but when I went back I took some fire arrows with me. My trusty Sticky Compound Long Bow +4 :P But don't even get me STARTED on how much I hate the Valley of Defilement...

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By handlas

Old King was the best.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MeierTheRed

Beating the tower knight up close and personal was pretty cool. Flamelurker was hectic and challenging but i found that one fun also.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Slippy

Wait, what? The Old Monk battle was against an actual player? Mind blown.

I loved the Storm King battle as it reminded me of Shadow of the Colossus, but it was too easy.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By handlas

how do you become the black phantom during the Old Monk battle?  I tried to go there after beating it but it wouldn't let me use my black stone.  When I fought the old monk I'm positive it was just he CPU because all it did was run at me the entire time.

Is that how some people have that big head wrap?  They were the blank phantom during that battle.

I beat the game but I feel I'm missing out on a lot of stuff.  I never got any magic, only miracles.  I have TONS of shards, stones, etc. that I never used because I never understood where those came into play.  I assumed you use them to upgrade weapons but they never let me use them to upgrade stuff.  I pretty much used the same armor the entire game that I got near the beginning of the game because I never found anything better.  Same with the weapon.  I only picked up one good sword the entire game.  The sword was good but it also drained my health, but I had a regeneration ring to counter it.  I got the soulbrant (think that is the name) at the end of the game which is better tho.  How do you get the other sword that was mentioned.  Do you let the Old One kill you?  I don't remember what it was called...demonbrant maybe?

edit:  Well I'm on my second playthrough and finally can get magic.  The first time I saved Sage Freke but the guy would always tell me to go away.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

FlameLurker, probably because he was one of the few bosses that I got on my first try using straight up melee (went in unprepared, out of arrows and no attack spells memorized, I was so sure I was gonna die!). I've noticed though that the bosses get less and less impressive as you get further in the game, particularly the bosses in stage 5... But I'm on 1-4 now so hopefully the last boss makes up for it.

@handlas:
    If you go into 3-x in soul mode and put down your stone to join another player's game, randomly you can be summoned by the monk, it happened to me once and I kicked the guy's ass with a Crescent Falchion right when he came through the door, I think he wasn't expecting to be attacked right away. And yes, that's how you get the crazy robe headwrap thing. I'm not sure if you have to win the fight to get it though.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By handlas
    @SuperfluousMoniker said:
    " FlameLurker, probably because he was one of the few bosses that I got on my first try using straight up melee (went in unprepared, out of arrows and no attack spells memorized, I was so sure I was gonna die!). I've noticed though that the bosses get less and less impressive as you get further in the game, particularly the bosses in stage 5... But I'm on 1-4 now so hopefully the last boss makes up for it.

@handlas: If you go into 3-x in soul mode and put down your stone to join another player's game, randomly you can be summoned by the monk, it happened to me once and I kicked the guy's ass with a Crescent Falchion right when he came through the door, I think he wasn't expecting to be attacked right away. And yes, that's how you get the crazy robe headwrap thing. I'm not sure if you have to win the fight to get it though. "
    Oh so you need a red stone?  I've never even seen one ;/
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By luce

The Penetrator was a pretty awesome boss fight. Especially since i forgot to free that dude that helps you fight him.

-sigh- if only you could get his armor...
     -sigh- if only you could get his armor...
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas: No, the one you would use to help another player, not the PVP one. I'm pretty sure you get it automatically after you beat 1-1...
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By luce
    " I've noticed though that the bosses get less and less impressive as you get further in the game, particularly the bosses in stage 5... But I'm on 1-4 now so hopefully the last boss makes up for it.
      "
    Oh boy..someone's going to be disappointed
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By handlas

" @handlas: No, the one you would use to help another player, not the PVP one. I'm pretty sure you get it automatically after you beat 1-1... "

oh alrighty.

but no I only have a blue, black, and white stone.  I beat 1-1 twice now from different play throughs (same character)  and haven't gotten one :(.

@luce said:

" The Penetrator was a pretty awesome boss fight. Especially since i forgot to free that dude that helps you fight him.

"
      I liked that boss too but, man, it got choppy as hell when he destroys all the statues.  Seemed to be if I look in the direction down the stairs is when it got bad.
    Avatar image for outofbounds9000
    OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By OutOfBounds9000
    @dbz1995 said:
    " Fighting that Tower Knight was awesome. "
    This.
    PenguinNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PenguinNerd

3-3 Boss fight by far.  Probably one of my favorite parts of that game.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By animateria

Finally killed the Maneaters on NG+ using Firestorm. A lucky shot would cut half their HP down with the Ring of Magical Sharpness equipped. Besides the False King I have the most challenge fighting those two.

As for the Maiden Astraea I went the hard way the first run through, killing Garl with my Dragon Longsword. But decided to snipe her directly in NG+. She pleas to you when you do it so it felt a bit messed up while I did it though.
    Also Garl is susceptible to Death Cloud, I killed his Black Phantom form by just applying Death Cloud and shooting him with an arrow when he tries to heal.

The Penetrator goes down easily with ranged attacks, if you saved Biorr. Biorr helps you out with the fight if you do, and all you need to do is make Biorr do the tanking and you do the damage.

Black Phantoms are tougher than the bosses. I had the most challenge killing all of them during Halloween. A lot of them drop unique weapons, so it's definitely something to go after. Of course the Death Cloud method also works with them if you want the easy way out.

So I'll say any Black Phantom or the False King are my favorites. (Though I really hate to deal with Black Phantoms ever again!)

Avatar image for thebeastinbeast
    TheBeastinBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By TheBeastinBeast
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#30  Edited By Yummylee
    @TheBeastinBeast:
    Yeah I know now of course, was months ago when I first done the Old Monk boss battle.
    fourby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By fourby
    @SuperfluousMoniker:  Win is a loose term. The other player just has to die.

My favorite's are Storm King for sheer size, and Old Hero for actualy gameply mechanics and looking cool. I lost to Old Hero so many times, then went online for help and read that he was blind.  I was like "WTF IVE BEEN LOSING TO A BLIND GUY?!" First try after that.
    Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Reuben

I didn't really have 1 specific boss that I liked the most. They were all fun and challenging.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.