Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

Free for ps+ members tomorrow.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JZ

If your a ps+ member you can finally experience the magic of demon's souls for free.

There now there is basically no reason to not at least give it a go.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nice, first game in a while I already own. Fair warning it's not nearly as good as Dark Souls for a large number of reasons; but back before Dark Souls existed Demon's Souls was the shit. Flamelurker might not be as Gwyn and the DLC bosses but it's still a damn good fight. Warding = way more broken version of Iron Flesh.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well you just stand in the ribcage and the flamelurker can't hit you.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JasonR86

...son of a bitch. I just bought it last week. Fucking piece of shit.

Bleshoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Bleshoo

Demon's Souls is pretty awesome, and a bit harder than Dark Souls in my opinion. I might have myself another go at it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz: I suppose if you want to trivialize the only difficult fight in the game then sure; have fun with that. I've sort of come to grips with my hatred of the Souls community and enjoin more assholes to buy the game so that they keep making more and more Souls clones come out as well. Also I can just kill them in PvP and that makes me feel better.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JZ

Oooooh your a real tough guy, everyone is real impressed.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Is this for U.S.? If so, neat. I just recently beat Dark Souls and I'll totally play this one.

@jasonr86 said:

So much anger. Here's a thought: you've supported the devs in a more significant way, so be happy about that.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, really? You know, was always afraid to try it, but for free, I'll take a stab at it.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes the us psn

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

People! Play this game!! I remember looking at the quick look and the combat reminding me of Ocarina of Time, something I never got much of outside that game.

Malicious is also gonna be free this month. Kinda bums me out cause I bought it months ago and only beat the airship boss, but whatever, that's my fault for frequently buying things and not playing them.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JasonR86

Is this for U.S.? If so, neat. I just recently beat Dark Souls and I'll totally play this one.

@jasonr86 said:

So much anger. Here's a thought: you've supported the devs in a more significant way, so be happy about that.

I can't. I CAN'T!

I guess I'm ok with supporting Atlus.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you insane? This is nothing like zelda combat.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

@jjweatherman said:

@jasonr86 said:

I can't. I CAN'T!

I guess I'm ok with supporting Atlus.

And From!

@jz said:

I can see where he's coming from with that. I mean, think about it. You lock on, circle strafe, and poke dudes.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjweatherman: It's Zelda if Zelda wasn't made for 3 year olds first and foremost I suppose. I'd be down for Zelda also becoming a Dark Souls clone in the future. Zelda: Prepare to Die Edition

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjweatherman:

Would From Software get money from this? I thought only the publisher would. From already got paid.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

@jjweatherman:

Would From Software get money from this? I thought only the publisher would. From already got paid.

No idea. I'm not a business man, I'm a business, man.

Or something.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By TheHT

@jjweatherman said:

@jz said:

I can see where he's coming from with that. I mean, think about it. You lock on, circle strafe, and poke dudes.

That's it. Simple really.

After Ocarina I moved to mostly PC gaming and a lot of shooters, so I never got more of that lock on, back up, lunge forward, etc. Seeing the way Vinny was playing in the quick look reminded me of it and is what piqued my interest.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@jjweatherman: It's Zelda if Zelda wasn't made for 3 year olds first and foremost I suppose. I'd be down for Zelda also becoming a Dark Souls clone in the future. Zelda: Prepare to Die Edition

So that means it's also Darksiders for people who aren't angsty goth teens?

I'd like to give this a try, I liked what I played of Dark Souls (which I'll get back to someday).

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Item burden ...that's the real soul right there, I love Demon's Souls is such is a great game.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ThunderSlash

Have fun guys. It's quite possibly the most accurate Bladestone farming sim ever made.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ajamafalous

Yayyyyyyyyy

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By Humanity

Everyone who has PS+ should go and get it - especially if you really liked Dark Souls.

Demons Souls has arguably better atmosphere and levels since they don't have to waste any assets for transition areas. Of course it might be just nostalgia talking as it was the first Souls game I ever played and beat before the series really blew up and everyone on the internet was talking about it. Kinda weird how being a PS3 exclusive limited Demons popularity as no one was really talking about it that much and it had a small but dedicated "cult" following - unlike the huge blowout that Dark Souls experienced.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nice. Having this plus membership with a ps3/vita is keeping me from getting bored and blowing money on new games. Just finishing Darsiders now, this will be next.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@humanity: Demon's Souls is in no respect a cult classic as it still sold extremely well especially for a Japanese game in the western market; having nostalgia because "you were there" back when dumb mechanics existed and most of the bosses were trivial doesn't really hold up. If you want to make an argument based solely around the Nexus music, Yurt, and Mephistopheles then go ahead, but Dark Souls has MUCH stronger arguments (better bosses, Castlevania feeling, better realized world, better "plot," DLC fucking destroys anything in either game aside from Gwyn and so on and so forth). I will say this: Dark Souls has fan service, Demon's Souls doesn't and it is really really rare for a game to not have fan service of some sort, Japanese or no.

If anything Dark Souls has only marginally outsold Demon's Souls on the PS3; so as far as the PS3 is concerned the community hasn't grown much from its "Cult Classic" million seller status.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@fredchuckdave: First of I don't understand why your entire post has this aggressive feel to it like I'm trying to slight you personally. I suppose I made the cardinal sin of not preempting my post with "in my opinion.." in big bold letters.

So IN MY OPINION: A lot of things about Demons Souls were better. I think Boletaria is a much more interesting castle environment than Undead Burg or Anor Londo. There seemed to be a lot more going on and it felt like a place where people fought and died. Places like the bridge leading up to the boss in 2-1 with all those dead soldiers and the red dragon trying to once again toast you seemed more detailed and lived in than the more pristine and empty hallways of Anor. Valley of Defilement while somewhat annoying to play was a much better "dirty" environment than Blighttown where you really felt this sense of rot and decay. The 4-2 area was much better conceived than Tomb of the Giants. As a whole 4-1 was striking the first time you visit as compared to any similar area in Dark Souls. Tower of Latria's 3-1 was so extremely moody and atmospheric that it instilled this sense of dread when you entered that Dark Souls never came close to reproducing. The final boss zone on the beach was amazing when compared to the leadup to Gwyn.

In terms of bosses I also think they were all much better. The Tower Knight was this quintessential Demons Souls boss that made you think "oh shit they expect me to fight THAT?" and when you beat him it was amazing. Flamelurker was a lot more intense than Smough and Ornstein especially as he powered up in the same way those two did but he was a lot more deadly and aggressive. The Old Hero boss who was blind was more interesting than Nito and the Stormking fight with that special sword which only worked in that area was also amazing - nothing came close to that in Dark Souls. The False King was much more satisfying to fight than Gwyn as well. In stark contrast - the Bed of Chaos leadup level is terrible as is the boss fight. The centipede boss also not any fun to fight. The Moonlight Butterfly was another boss that had a shitty area for you to fight in and was generally pretty boring. Nito was a snooze. Ornstein and Smough were kind of cheap although at least interesting to fight. Gwyn is a joke. I suppose in terms of pure looks Gaping Dragon was cool.

Mechanically both games are almost identical. They added a few more levels of roll speed in Dark Souls which I actually didn't like. I preferred the grasses as a healing item because they let you prepare better for a boss fight instead of forcing you to perfect an area before the boss fight. I thought the Nexus was not only a beautifully conceived area but also a better way of tackling on new zones than having to walk through the land, running past enemies. Sure you get to teleport later on but for the first half you're just trudging along, and it's easy to get completely fucked if you get to a bonfire in the wrong area and then can't make it back. The tendency system was the one thing that was completely fucked in Demons Souls and upgrading weapons could turn into a bit of a chore but that's about it.

So let me just sandwich this with another fat IN MY OPINION.

Also if Dark Souls has outsold Demons Souls on PS3 in the little over a year it's been out when compared to the fact that Demons has been out since 2009 then I'd say it's doing pretty damn good. I wasn't talking about sales figures though, but more about the fact that not a lot of people were really this hyped about Demons when it came out as compared to how many people are talking about Dark Souls now.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice. Too bad I already own and have beaten it more times than i can remember. I might do another run of it. Maybe a quick one (magic user) so i don't get too bogged down in playing it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.