Help me figure out this game?

#1 Posted by Neezie (114 posts) -

I just got it after hearing Vinny talk about it more on this weeks Bombcast, and I have no idea where to start. When I was choosing a class I had no idea which one to pick because certain ones started out at different levels and I couldn't tell the difference between some of them. Any other tips to help me figure it out?

#2 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

Royalty is overpowered as shit in the beginning.

#3 Posted by James_ex_machina (905 posts) -

I don't recall the QL mentioning this in great depth but the QL was informative.

#4 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19304 posts) -

The classes barely matter, except for in the beginning, as the skill system is extremely flexible. If you want to have an easy time at first, take Royalty. Other tip you need is be extremely patient and methodical with everything you do and don't ignore the blood stains.

#5 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

The classes barely matter, except for in the beginning, as the skill system is extremely flexible. If you want to have an easy time at first, take Royalty. Other tip you need is be extremely patient and methodical with everything you do and don't ignore the blood stains.

This. Demon's Souls wiki can help with more specific questions.

#6 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1723 posts) -

Yeh Royal is the easiest class to start with, you have decent melee attacks/armour that isn't too heavy/a brilliant ranged attack in Soul Arrow. You'll want to dump points into magic, a bit into vitality for the HP and strength as well. 

#7 Edited by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

As per usual with these type of threads, the Royalty class is the easiest class to begin with. When you've gotten better at playing then just branch out your skills from there. Whilst it's a type of game that rewards exploration and experimentation, the DS Wiki is great for explaining some stats, mechanics and so fourth.

#8 Edited by Humanity (8706 posts) -

Google the Demons Souls Wiki - it has a ton of info on the game at this point - I'd say probably everything you'd ever want to know about it including maps etc.

These are starting out tips:

As the person above said, Royal is quite overpowered early in the game but thats only if you've played the game and understand how everything functions and you can exploit that by using magic.

Your best bet is to make a character that will be 1/3 magic users and 2/3 melee oriented - just get weapon buff spells and small stuff like that.

A big part of the game is your encumberance - how much weight you're WEARING. You need to have your ITEM EQUIP at least half of the max value (i.e. 19/40 ITEM EQUIP) in order to properly roll.

Rolling is key to dodging attacks in this game, especially during boss fights.

LUCK is basically a worthless stat you shold never put points into.

As a melee oriented character you want to concentrate on VIT and END with enough points going into STR so that you can handle larger shields and swords properly.

The weapon you choose to use throughout the game is up to your personal preference. You basically have Swords that SWING in an arc, PIERCE in a stabbing motion and SWEEP. So thats like a knight sword, a rapier and the third round ended sword I can't remember the name of. See what animations suit you best and stick with it.

When you get to the Nexus for the first time you will be in SOUL FORM which means you deal more damage but your health is lowered. You will now have to play through the 1-1 archstone all the way to the first boss and beat him in order to return to BODY FORM and open up the ability to level up at the Maiden, and visit the other archstones. Beating 1-1 is basically the watershed moment for most players - if they will continue playing or not. You can either look up videos online on where to go or wonder around until you finally get to the boss. It might seems really open but when you get down to it it's actually a pretty straightforward path from beginning of 1-1 to the boss fight.

Once you defeat the fist boss all training wheels are off and you are fully let loose on the game. You can visit any other area of the game, with the ultimate goal of defeating all the bosses of each archstone, in any order you wish. You will realize from trial and error that some areas will be more difficult than others based on your current level/build. Generally people play 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3 then either world 3 or 4 and world 5, the Valley of Defilement is last with the exception of having to go back to 1-4 to trigger the endgame.

Souls earned are your way of leveling up and repairing items.

The difference between soul and body form is that in soul form you do more damage but have less health. In body form you do less damage but have considerably more health. In soul form you can enter other peoples worlds but others can't enter yours. In body form you can't enter other peoples worlds, but others can invade yours.

Theres no real reason to play through the game as either soul or body. A lot of people just remain in soul form because you do die a lot on your first playthrough.

The key factor of playing Demons Souls is repetition and memorization. You will play the levels, get jumped by enemies, learn their patterns and positions and anticipate them the next time around. Thats really the way to play the game. Same thing with bosses - you will fight them, die, learn their patterns and try again.

Good Luck.

#9 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

I had difficulty with the Royalty class when I first started. I eventually got about halfway through the game but then stopped for a long, long time. I picked it up again and watched a speed run (which showed me some shortcuts and interesting ideas on how to get through some of the levels) and I started a Temple Knight (or whatever the name of the warrior class with the spear and heal spell was). With the Temple Knight I was able to take more hits before dying allowing me a better chance at figuring out what I needed to do instead of making a mistake, dying, thinking about what went wrong and then failing to execute anything better when I get back and dying again.

As for rolling, I played through a few worlds with heavy armour and being unable to roll. It was tough and I didn't even know how useful it is to be able to do so. I played a female character and got the Dull Gold Armour in world 5-2(light-ish with good defense, usable only by females) and was able to roll properly with some points put into Endurance.

Anyway, that was my experience, anyone who feels otherwise, please say so. This is just how I was able to grasp the game by being able to make more mistakes without being horribly punished. (after I finished the game once, I played a Royal and went all magic and managed to get though most of the game very quickly and without dying often before I got bored)

(also I wrote this while listening to TV and I didn't realize how hard it is to keep a straight thought so sorry if some of this doesn't make sense.)

#10 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

@Humanity said:

Generally people play 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3 then either world 3 or 4 and world 5, the Valley of Defilement is last with the exception of having to go back to 1-4 to trigger the endgame.

People actually play Valley of Defilement last? That is one of the first ones I do.

#11 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19304 posts) -
@SuperWristBands said: 

People actually play Valley of Defilement last? That is one of the first ones I do.

I did. It was crazy easy. The whole game was fairly easy as a Magician. Never understood any of the boss complaints (except for maybe the Old King) as they all fell pretty fast for me.
#12 Posted by WarlordPayne (694 posts) -

Get yourself a shield that blocks 100% damage and a polearm as soon as possible. I prefer halberds but the polemace or scythe would probably be fine, too. Walk around(don't run) with your shield up at all times so nothing gets in a surprise hit on you. When you encounter an enemy switch to two hands on your polearm and poke them from a distance with it. If the enemy is ranged, very fast, or there's a large group you may need to keep your shield out, but with two hands on that polearm it will mess guys up real fast and it's great for knocking an enemy's shield out of the way.

I chose the Temple Knight on my first playthrough and his shield/halberd combination made the majority of that game fairly easy. As other people have said Royalty is a very good choice since he has a powerful starting spell and a mana regen ring. So if you want to be more ranged focused definitely choose Royalty, if you prefer melee fighting give the Temple Knight a shot.

#13 Posted by Largo6661 (331 posts) -

@Neezie:to be honest all the classes are ok to begin with exept the barbarian. but your best bet is royalty because of their magic.

#14 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@SuperWristBands said:

I did. It was crazy easy. The whole game was fairly easy as a Magician. Never understood any of the boss complaints (except for maybe the Old King) as they all fell pretty fast for me.

Yeah, my magician play through was pretty simple. I stopped before killing False King/Old King (whatever his name was) and also before killing the boss of 4-3 as it was the last one I was going to fight since I didn't need it's soul for anything....

Anyway, I just used that five-soul-arrow-spell-thing and murdered a lot of the bosses really easily. Also, Warding.

#15 Posted by Neezie (114 posts) -

I started as a Royalty and I am very excited to put more time into this game. I got about halfway through the first real area before I died, but I had plans so I had to stop. It seems really interesting, but I am nervous I am going to hit a wall with this game at some point and never want to look at it ever again. But right now I enjoy it

#16 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@Neezie: Demon's Souls is an absolutely fantastic game. Hope you enjoy it!
#17 Posted by Neezie (114 posts) -

I beat the first demon and I only died once! I got the soul and at the nexus a woman told me to go see the statue. I went up to where I was supposed to do but I have no idea what to do to make whatever's supposed to happen happen

#18 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

@Neezie: There will be a bunch of dead... monarchs lining the edge of the room. One of them will be alive and his head will follow you, there is also a candle by him. Go talk to him and the rest of the levels unlock.

#19 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

demon souls seems like a game i could really enjoy... i just dont have that kind of time on my hands anymore, stupid adulthood.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.