Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

I'm an RPG virgin... Is this a bad idea?

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TwoOneFive

Something about this game intrigues me a lot.  
    The difficulty people brag about this game having is making want to take up a challenge.  
    The online features sound brilliant 
    And gamespot giving it goty was out of left field.  
    Seriously, I've played RPGs here and there but I have never bought one and I have never played one start to finish.  

Are there any better recommendations, or should i just walk right in to this and get my ass kicked?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Do you hate yourself but love video games? Then Demon's Souls is probably for you. Genre has nothing to do with it.

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Damien

No, go for it!

Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Kinarion
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " Do you hate yourself but love video games? Then Demon's Souls is probably for you. Genre has nothing to do with it. "
    He's not wrong.  No one has ever put down Demon's Souls because it was too much of an RPG.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TwoOneFive

XD i dont hate myself, but i do like games that are actually challenging, which I haven't really come across in a while. Especially this gen. 

skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By skunk

Pick this beast up. If you have patience and don't just run into things willy nilly you will enjoy it. My one word of advice: NEVER put your guard down just because you've been through the level, especially if you just died and need to retrieve your souls.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By pause422
    @TwoOneFive said:

" XD i dont hate myself, but i do like games that are actually challenging, which I haven't really come across in a while. Especially this gen.  "

If you want a good challenging game, Demon Souls is the RPG for you. Its not as overly hard and frustrating as some people will have you believe or anything though, at least to me.  If you're looking for, and expecting an alright challenging game though, you are definitely picking a good one. Its never difficult in an unfair way really, if something is ever seeming unfair in it, its just you, and you will realize you are doing something wrong, or not looking at everything you could be doing. That's why I like the game so much.
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By frankxiv

starting out at the high point probably isn't the best idea. play some oblivion or something first so you can appreciate what it does more

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Skytylz

i'd play a simpler one first, this might be a bad idea.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By luce

Might want to skip unless you have the patience and determination...and possibly friends (Giantbomb can help you out with that)

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EvilTwin
    @onimonkii said:
    " starting out at the high point probably isn't the best idea. play some oblivion or something first so you can appreciate what it does more "
    Not that I would agree that Demon's Souls is the high point for RPGs, but it's so different than most that it probably doesn't matter anyways.
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Supermarius

Its difficult, but its not the best that the RPG genre has to offer. The storyline is almost non-existent, no character development, limited dialog, it looks kinda drab. Yeah its hard. But difficulty is not the only worthwhile thing in gaming. Its not really representative of RPGs either. Its more like a fancy roguelike with realtime combat and static zones. I think you would be better off playing a Tales game, or a final fantasy game, or dragon qest, or persona.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Karkarov

Uh RPG's have a crapton better to offer than the recent jokes called Final Fantasy too.  RPG's are about more than 30 minute long cut scenes featuring boring characters you don't really care about and Blacksmith Ed manages more personality in 5 minutes than the entire cast of FF 12 did in the entire game.  That said the question is basically do you like action games, because this is an action RPG.  If you want to get into more basic/traditional RPG's this is not it but if you like games with stellar gameplay that challenge you without ripping you off and provide atmosphere out the wazzo and a community this is it.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Romination

I think a JRPG like Persona 4 would have been much more odd for you. Starting out with something that can be played a simpler way is easier.

That said, Demon's Souls more depends on the amount of patience you have. Do you have a lot? Then word. Don't know if you have enough, go play Ghosts n Goblins. If it doesn't make you wanna kill someone, you're good!

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Gabriel

Demon's Souls is a beast, doesn't really bother with story but that means no emo teenagers which is great, and the bosses are probably the best since MGS, those motherfuckers are BOSS FIGHTS

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Shadow

I'm constantly wrestling with myself over whether or not to get this...I still am on the fence

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dbz1995
    @Shadow said:
    " I'm constantly wrestling with myself over whether or not to get this...I still am on the fence "
    Dude, get it for my sake...I still haven't completed a level not because it's hard, but because the atmosphere in that game is fucking scary. I need a friend to help me out.
    VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By VanderSEXXX

Good choice go for it. But if you're really looking for a real challenge then go get Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, only thing is that game is not an RPG but i guearantee its difficulty.

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By dogbox

Demons Souls is a pretty good game, but I don't know if I'd recommend it for your first real RPG experience. I'd say check out something a bit easier than DS first. But then again, I'm not quite as enthusiastic about really difficult games as a lot of people on GB are!

evreche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By evreche

I know it is an RPG but it plays more like an action/adventure game than other jRPGs. While it is a good game and it has its difficult moments, I would agree with earlier posters and play something a little more straightforward. 

Persona 4 is an excellent choice with a great story, gameplay, and the right amount of quirkiness. 

Final Fantasy X is also an easy to understand game and a lot of fun. 

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GunnBjorn

If you're a RPG virgin, be prepared to be brutally deflowered by Demon's Souls!
    DS is hard in the sense that it's unforgiving; Charging blindly, not paying attention to your environment, not taking ten seconds to use your brain to determine what tactic you should be using... are sure-fire ways to an untimely demise. 
    Good luck with this one. ;)
    zorzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zorzer

Been waiting on the European release for this. Each day brings more anxiousness about getting fucked by a skeleton over and over.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bhhawks78

Rent it, I could never get past the clunkiness/slowness of the controls even though I thought it had some interesting ideas.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Shadow said:
    " I'm constantly wrestling with myself over whether or not to get this...I still am on the fence "
    I have decided for and against this game like 5 times now, watching others play it makes it look like my kinda game (Third person, with sword) but it looks kinda janky in a way and yes the "SUPER HARD" stuff got to me when it came out and have kept me from touching it, and when I say hard I don't mean "Waah its hard" People were saying this game would rock you so you could understand my reservations.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EvilTwin

This thread is 3 months old people.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @ZoRzEr said:
    " Been waiting on the European release for this. Each day brings more anxiousness about getting fucked by a skeleton over and over. "
    It's fantastic.  Definitely deserved the game of the year/RPG of the year awards.  Ignore the giantbomb children above.
    Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Demons Souls is a great game. It has unique bosses, unique gameplay, unique atmosphere. But the shine of DS comes from the multiplayer. The way the multiplayer is integrated seems almost genius. IMO, THAT is the reason to play the game. The game is difficult, but with a friend or two its not that challenging, but really fun. Also, always afraid of death is a nice twist. You don't get that in most games. If you die, it just respawns you with no penalty. But with DS its the worst thing. 

In terms of its "RPG-ness" There is practically no story. No dialogue, well, no good dialogue anyways. You don't care about anything in the game. It's not like a regular RPG, it is more like an action game. But the aspect that surprised me the most was the weapon customization. That system is very deep and fleshed out. I liked it a lot and was astounded at how many options there are. 

In conclusion, Demons Souls is a great game. It is not your epitome of an RPG though. So if you are looking for an RPG, this game is not for you. If you are looking for a challenge, you can just turn the difficulty level up in any other game.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Shadow

I totally just bought it for $26.99 at Gamestop.  Can't really argue with a huge price drop

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Gabriel

Your gonna bleed.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @Supermarius said:
    " Its difficult, but its not the best that the RPG genre has to offer. The storyline is almost non-existent, no character development, limited dialog, it looks kinda drab. Yeah its hard. But difficulty is not the only worthwhile thing in gaming. Its not really representative of RPGs either. Its more like a fancy roguelike with realtime combat and static zones. I think you would be better off playing a Tales game, or a final fantasy game, or dragon qest, or persona. "
    yeaaaahhh im more into gameplay when i play GAMES so that how storyling stuff doesnt matter to me. at all. 
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @EvilTwin said:
    " This thread is 3 months old people. "
    hey look, somebody learned how to read dates. 
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sagesebas

HOW would you says this ranks up with Dragon Age. In the future I'd like to get either a PS3 or XBOX 360 and Demon's Souls is one of the reasons I'm considering a PS3.

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HypoXenophobia
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " @Supermarius said:
    " Its difficult, but its not the best that the RPG genre has to offer. The storyline is almost non-existent, no character development, limited dialog, it looks kinda drab. Yeah its hard. But difficulty is not the only worthwhile thing in gaming. Its not really representative of RPGs either. Its more like a fancy roguelike with realtime combat and static zones. I think you would be better off playing a Tales game, or a final fantasy game, or dragon qest, or persona. "
    yeaaaahhh im more into gameplay when i play GAMES so that how storyling stuff doesnt matter to me. at all.  "
    The story exists, it's just not force feeding it to you. Talk to NPC, be a bit deductive about the settings as there's quite of bit of detail in the settings( World 5-3 will make no sense to you if you never bothered to pay attention), and don't be afraid to try coming back under different World Tendencies. The games difficulty really exists while you're learning the controls, but you could beat the game as a level 1 Royal if you mastered parrying. After I beat six bosses, I went the rest of the game without dying.  But back on point, the story exists in a unique way, and it's quite an interesting way of going about it. Despite this topic being 3 months old, more people should play this game instead of blindly accepting criticisms and praises that are generally embellishments.
    PDC_Emulator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sagesebas
    @PDC_Emulator: I have to admit that was pretty funny.
    Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Azrail

demon souls is barley a rpg, its more an action game, more so than diablo 

so your still pretty much an rpg virgin

CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CandleJakk

I generally hate RPGs, but have been trying to enjoy them more lately. I started with something really light ( Borderlands),loved it and then jumped in the deep end with Demon's Souls and have had immense fun with it. Go for it!

I imported it, then three weeks later, it gets announced for the PAL territories. >:(

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By EvilTwin
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " @EvilTwin said:
    " This thread is 3 months old people. "
    hey look, somebody learned how to read dates.  "
    Eh?  I can't really tell if that's meant to be snide or not.  I just figured you would have decided whether or not you wanted to play Demon's Souls by now, and since you weren't the one who bumped the thread, that peoples' advice was probably falling on deaf ears.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By c1337us

This game will murder you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

If you're an RPG virgin, Demon's Souls is a craigslist ad so hardcore you have to sign a waiver.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#42  Edited By Jazz

Demon's Souls is more of an action RPG, so if you're totally new to the genre..it might be a good way of getting used to the idea of RPG mechanics. 
    Its hard at time, and very unfair..but its worth it if you have the endurance..and it'll keep you busy for a long time.

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Fbomb

I like how everyone's still responding to the question when it was posted 3.5 months ago.

starrjack1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By starrjack1
    @TwoOneFive: If you are really looking for challenge than go for it.  But as someone who plays a whole hell of a lot of Mount and Blade and deals with meh graphics and janky gameplay, you have to be able to deal with that a lot.  The ragdolls suck in a pretty funny way, some of the art assets are shit, the combat is..... divisive?  Hard to describe, it looks more complicated and interesting than it is but once you figure out it's tricks it seems less cool.  And the tutorials suck and a lot of the game mechanics are too hidden. 

But now that I have shit all over it, heres this.  You know when a game reeks of a suits influence?  No one but game designers touched this game, it is a niche game that got more mass appeal than it should have, and it shows.  The dudes who made this had goals and things they wanted to do and they did them and no one told them no and it's refreshing.  If a major Japanese publisher was calling the shots you can be there would be more tits on skinny female characters, ridiculous powers and so on.  But instead you get a game that is distinctly Japanese in feel but also very reserved with some of the best aspects of western RPG's included. 

Dude, go play Demon's Souls!  I am gonna get my copy back from my friend and start a new character, I love that game!
    Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Azrail

also borderlands , not rly an rpg 
    action rpg, its own subgenre for a reason

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Virago

In the words of Nike:
    Ya'll go on and give that there a try, now.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Supermarius
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " @Supermarius said:
    yeaaaahhh im more into gameplay when i play GAMES so that how storyling stuff doesnt matter to me. at all.  "

Then you probably shouldnt play RPG's. They make gameplay sacrifices to include character development and story. You should probably be playing character action games (Bayonetta, darksiders, God of war) or 1st/3rd person shooters which are more just about gameplay.Or fighting games, those are pure gameplay. Same deal with racing games.
    Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Detrian

It's more action rpg anyway. Who cares?

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By ATrevelan

Demons Souls never struck me as an RPG. I think its an absolutely unmissable experience if you have a PS3. If you don't have online, however, stay away.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Shadow

I've been hooked on this game for the past few days and I gotta say something.  In the second section of the third world (tower/swamp), there will be a guy in a cage asking you to free him.  When you do, he thanks you and walks around for a while.  However, kill him immediately because if you don't, after every boss you beat for then on, he will go back to the nexus and start KILLING THE GUYS WHO SELL YOU STUFF!  AND THEY DON'T RESPAWN!  EVER!  GAAAAAAH!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.