Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

Increasing damage with bow

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By markini6

Just a quick question wondering what stat I improve to increase my damage with the compound short bow. Thanks in advance

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By Timing
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Karkarov
    @markini6: 
    What Timing said is true but your top damage will ultimately be quality if you keep both str and dex at close to the same levels.  If you don't work either of those two stats you need to either go with straight +10 and know you will suck with bows (faith build) or go with a Lava Bow (magic build).
    markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By markini6
    @Karkarov:
    I'm playing as a Royal and Magic is my highest stat because I've been focusing on that, Vitality and Intelligence, so should I try and go for the lava bow then?
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Fallen189
    @Karkarov said:
    " @markini6:  What Timing said is true but your top damage will ultimately be quality if you keep both str and dex at close to the same levels.  If you don't work either of those two stats you need to either go with straight +10 and know you will suck with bows (faith build) or go with a Lava Bow (magic build). "
    This dude is spot on. Good advice.
    markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By markini6
    @Fallen189:
    Will I really need 21 strength and 16 dexterity  to use it?  That's a lot of souls I'll need to level up :)
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Karkarov
    @markini6 said:

"I'm playing as a Royal and Magic is my highest stat because I've been focusing on that, Vitality and Intelligence, so should I try and go for the lava bow then?" 

Pretty much but be prepared for bows to not hold water the farther you go.  By New Game + 2 or 3 no matter how good your magic is the lava bow just doesn't keep up.  By then you should have enough experience to handle most encounters in a stand up fashion though without needing the bow.
    markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By markini6
    @Karkarov: I'm ashamed to admit this but I was mainly only going to use a bow to kill the reaper(s) in 4-2 from range. At the moment it takes about 4-5 shots and by that time his ethereal croines begin to descend upon me :)
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Karkarov
    @markini6: 

Best way to deal with them is a dragon weapon, a theives ring, and moving fast.  You run along the top level, drop behind the reaper, rush him, and let the dragon weapon do the rest.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fallen189
    @Karkarov said:
    " @markini6 said:

"I'm playing as a Royal and Magic is my highest stat because I've been focusing on that, Vitality and Intelligence, so should I try and go for the lava bow then?" 

Pretty much but be prepared for bows to not hold water the farther you go.  By New Game + 2 or 3 no matter how good your magic is the lava bow just doesn't keep up.  By then you should have enough experience to handle most encounters in a stand up fashion though without needing the bow. "
    Something else you should know is the variance arrows make. I believe that White arrows have less "fall off", which means it can go further before it starts losing damage for range. Holy arrows are the highest damage, Rotting arrows can infect plague I believe, then heavy ones just do more than regular. I think that's right!
    markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By markini6
    @Karkarov: I won't lie, I've seen lots of videos with people farming the reaper at the start with a bow and I thought I'd try it. Hell, the strategy guide that comes with the European Black Phantom edition actively encourages farming (which, imo, a guide should never do). It just looks like it's easiest with a bow.
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Karkarov
    @Fallen189: 
    Sounds right to me brotha!!!  There are other types of arrows but honestly almost everyone just uses heavy ones since the only ones that do more damage cost a boatload of souls.  Maybe I will make a vid where I kill a reaper just to show how fast it can be done minus the bow....
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Fallen189
    @Karkarov said:
    " @Fallen189:  Sounds right to me brotha!!!  There are other types of arrows but honestly almost everyone just uses heavy ones since the only ones that do more damage cost a boatload of souls.  Maybe I will make a vid where I kill a reaper just to show how fast it can be done minus the bow.... "
    The way I do it is to rush the back of his crypt on the top floor with Dragon Bone Smasher, drop down, and just smash his face in. 60 second job. It used to be good souls, now it's better to do 1-4.
    HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HaniBall

Hmm, I havent done the math but I would think that for quality to pass sticky in damage you need to be way up in the diminishing returns soul level region?
    Early to Mid game+'s I would say lava bow works well for a little while and sticky will keep you company for quite a long time. Plus, if you dont scare away the 2-1 lizards its fairly easy to get.

No?

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Karkarov
    @joest01: 
     Actually because quality has higher base damages and how stat scaling works it only takes having str and dex at around 40 most of the time for it to pass the single stat equivalent (crushing for str, sharp for dex).
    HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HaniBall

OK, Thanks. 
    Thats lower than I thought.
    But higher than I took either of my 2 characters :) I guess they'll stick with sticky.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By SpiralStairs

If you've beaten the World 4 archdemon then you can farm those annoying flying things for like 20k souls in less than 3 minutes. And that's with pure white world tendency without any soul collecting boosts.

HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HaniBall
    @SpiralStairs: Thanks for the advice. But thats not it I carry a million souls on me at times. I have beat the game 5 times. I don't level any higher to stay in the sweet spots for pvp and to keep things interesting. In the higher levels everyone is basically the same build anyway.
    My guy is lvl128 and my gal lvl38. She casts second chance and has a dying attack of 6 or 700. I have never deleveled on purpose either!! I assume that a lot of the people that put up a good fight these days have deleveled.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.