Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

Is this a common issue with the game or is my PS3 screwed?

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#1 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Watching Brad play Demon's Souls got me wanting to go back and finish it. I had started the game several years ago and only made it past Phalanx. Started it back up yesterday, and made some decent progress, beat 2-1 and 3-1, then quit to have dinner. After eating I came back to the game and decided to try playing 1-2, got a little bit into it and the textures started unloading eventually to a point where the entire world was transparent except for enemies and a few of the bits of debris.

At this point, I carefully made my way back to the archstone and tried to return to the nexus. After sitting at a black screen for a minute or two, I decided to try to quit the game from the xmb. That didn't work, so I tried to turn of the console from the xmb, that didn't work either. I had to use the switch on the back of the console to turn it off.

After turning the system back on, for about 15 minutes it wouldn't even register that the Demon's Souls disc was in the drive. Once it finally did read the disc, I tried playing again. My save was right at the Phalanx archstone and the textures were loaded, so I decided to try to play the level again. I got halfway through the tunnel and it started unloading the textures again. It didn't unload all of them thankfully, and the second it started I went right back to the archstone. Cue a repeat of the last time I tried.

I have an 80 GB PS3 that I bought in 2009, and the disc looks pristine, so I am wondering if it is software related and thought someone here might know.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I think your PS3's Bluray player might be dying. Something like this happened to me a few years ago. My fat PS3 started to not read discs and I noticed that loading screens would display the "no disc in drive" icon. The drive ended up dying. The PS3 works fine, but it can't read discs anymore.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy

That never happened to me ever. In fact the only issue I had with Demon's Souls was sometimes the game would CHUG and I mean at like 5 FPS. It would only really last for about 2 seconds but it was still really weird.

So no I don't think that's normal... :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.