Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

It is official, that Demon's Souls game did ok.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Karkarov

Atlus U.S.A. just made an announcement on their forums that Demon's Souls was going to be released in NA as a PS3 Greatest Hit's release with a slightly retooled cover art to show that it won game of the year from Gamespot.  Here is a link to the article.  MSRP is going to be 29.99, if you got a ps3 and you haven't checked this game out why not give it a shot?

fourby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By fourby

I was getting on here to make the exact same post, but looks like i'm a bit late. This games worth the price at 60$, but 30$ makes it way better! 

All ye who wish to test themselves, STEP FORTH!

HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HaniBall

So deserved. Hopefully it means they extend the lifetime of those servers too!!

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By jimi

One of my favourite games :) 

Nice to see it do well!

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Gabriel

Damn an Atlas game as a greatest hit? 

Thats just crazy.

HODGEY3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By HODGEY3000

i've been meaning to finish this
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ninjakiller

Brutal.

yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By yyZiggurat

I don't understand why people on that forum are congratulating Atlus USA, all they did was release a game that was already an Asian/worldwide sleeper (importers and word of mouth) hit.  I don't mean to sound ungrateful, I love my Limited Edition DS copy but I think this should be more of a From Software victory.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel
    @HomemadeZiggurat said:
    " I don't understand why people on that forum are congratulating Atlus USA, all they did was release a game that was already an Asian/worldwide sleeper (importers and word of mouth) hit.  I don't mean to sound ungrateful, I love my Limited Edition DS copy but I think this should be more of a From Software victory. "
    Because Atlus took the chance on releasing the game in North America after Sony Computer Entertainment America (Sony was the game's original publisher in Japan) pretty much said "Fuck this game."  If it wasn't for Atlus, we might not have gotten a North American release.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By TheHT

Sweet! I think I ended up paying 70 bucks for this thing, though it was totally worth it.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Raymayne

Best game on PS3 imo, awesomeness.

The_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By The_Joker

People love a good challenge from time to time.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By valrog

It did more than "ok".

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CaptainCody

Atlus is the only videogame company pumping out good JRPGs. They deserve some form of "best developer" award.
    yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By yyZiggurat
    @Hailinel:  I understand that.  I saying the people who made the game should get some recognition.  Even if they hadn't released an NA version, importing isn't impossible.  Granted, the fact that it's available stateside gives a lot of people a chance to play it without taking the risk of importing.

@CaptainCody: Atlus didn't develop Demon's Souls.  They're a publisher.  Developers make games, publishers package them and send them out to the public.
    NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NekuCTR

Good to see a game with legitimate challenge do well. Sorry MegaMan 9 & 10, your just cheap.

skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By skunk

I was surprised as hell when I saw the Greatest Hits announcement. Awesome job by FromSoftware and Atlus for taking a chance! Can't wait for Demon Souls 2.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Awesome!  Definitely deserves it.  It's easily one of my top 10 favorite games of all time.

EvilEmpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EvilEmpire

Great to see this game do well.  The controller smashingly brutal level of difficulty is a turn off for some in this age of tutorials and hand holding in video games, but the payoff is great when you finally do beat a level or figure out the best strategy to pass a certain portion of it. 

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Devil240Z

Fuck that game! ...in a good way. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

As a PS3 owner I have yet to purchase this game even though I probably should have, now I definitely will.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lego_my_eggo
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MrKlorox

Cool. I wanted to try it but I was highly skeptical of the standard price to enjoyment ratio. I can probably stand paying $30 for what might be a bad gaming experience. But not $50.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#24  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I find that surprising, considering that DS is one of the single most sadistic games to be released in the last decade. Nonetheless, if I had a PS3 I would probably buy it. Because I hate myself.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#25  Edited By tearhead

I didn't buy this game at $60 because I was worried it would be too frustrating, but at $30, I don't know. I'm pretty interested in the game, can anyone tell me their experience with the game? It may be hard, but did you get super frustrated to the point where you stopped playing the game entirely? Or is the new price point enough to justify any problems you had with it?

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lego_my_eggo
    @Tearhead said:
    " I didn't buy this game at $60 because I was worried it would be too frustrating, but at $30, I don't know. I'm pretty interested in the game, can anyone tell me their experience with the game? It may be hard, but did you get super frustrated to the point where you stopped playing the game entirely? Or is the new price point enough to justify any problems you had with it? "
    its not so much hard as you cant just go around swinging your sword and expect to get anywhere. even the easy enemies can take out someone with all the best gear and a high level if they do something stupid. so i was never pissed off because it was the games fault i died, it was me taking a risk or not paying attention. it also has a great atmosphere, even with blue phantoms you fell like your in this world facing insurmountable odds alone. the only technical problems i had was it would kick you offline sometimes. but with the way the online works that just means you will not be able to summon or see signs posted by other players, it will never boot a player. i believe it released as a budget title at $50-$40 and was well worth my money.
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Karkarov
    @Tearhead said:
    " I didn't buy this game at $60 because I was worried it would be too frustrating, but at $30, I don't know. I'm pretty interested in the game, can anyone tell me their experience with the game? It may be hard, but did you get super frustrated to the point where you stopped playing the game entirely? Or is the new price point enough to justify any problems you had with it? "
    Demon's Souls is NOT hard, that is a straight up myth propagated by people who played without reading the manual or paying attention in the tutorial.  It is just exceedingly fair.  I have over 500 hours on it and I can count the number of times I died to something I felt was "cheap" or due to bad design on one hand.  Pretty much all of those come down to internet lag and accidentally auto targeting the wrong thing on a cliff.  PROTIP: Don't use auto target when you are standing on a cliff! 

It is not Diablo, it is not God of War, it is not a hack and slash game don't care what the wiki page says.  Your character can die very very easily, but at the same time with the right prep, proper strategy, and good play every enemy and or boss in the game can die just as easy as you can.  Just ask yourself how would you really act if you the human being were really in the same situation (baring run away like a chicken, you can't do that) and you will be fine most of the time.

As for the "value" considering I own 3 copies of it and have created literally hours of youtube vids dedicated to it's pvp community...  Yeah I would say the price point is pretty good, especially at 30 bucks.
    tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#28  Edited By tearhead
    @Lego_My_Eggo:  @Karkarov: OK. You guys have convinced me. I ordered it off of amazon and it should be getting here tomorrow. I'll probably post something later on about my experience with the game. So many people love this game, it's kinda hard to ignore.
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By luce
    @Gabriel said:
    " Damn an Atlas game as a greatest hit?  Thats just crazy. "
    Didn't Disgaea for PS2 get into the greatest hits?
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Cool. I got it for 30 dollars anyways, but still, It's a great value. It took me over 70 hours to beat it once.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cstrang

Easily one of the best games out there for the PS3, despite the pseudo-hate it received from the GB crew.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Diamond
    @luce said:
    " @Gabriel said:
    Didn't Disgaea for PS2 get into the greatest hits? "
    Atlus just published Demon's Souls
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By xyzygy

I've played so much of Demon's Souls. This just makes me more excited for Project Dark :D

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By matiaz_tapia

Less grindy action rpg I've played, strangely enough.  I thought it was at first...played some and got tired after a while without finishing it. Later on I picked it up and I went pretty fast with the right equipment and strategy.  

It's an RPG that rewards learning you for learning how to play it. 

I would even argue the idea of not spending much of your souls on leveling up early on unless is for equipment requirements. That way you spend it on upgrading equipment, giving you the edge in case you invade/get invaded by people around your own level ( Ratio is 10 bellow or above I think)

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
    deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I am glad to know it sold well. It was my favorite game of last year. Loved that game to death.
    Avatar image for infinitestatemachine
    InfiniteStateMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

awesome, this sho0uld mean the servers should be nice and full this winter :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

So, from all the love this thread has given it, I should get this game right?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hailinel
    @Diamond said:
    " @luce said:
    " @Gabriel said:
    Didn't Disgaea for PS2 get into the greatest hits? "
    Atlus just published Demon's Souls "
    Atlus only published Disgaea as well.  In Japan, it was a Nippon Ichi Software game, and the sequels have all been published in the U.S. by NIS America.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TwoOneFive

i know gamespot is the site everyone here likes to hate, but, i think they deserved a lot kudos for naming Demon Souls GOTY. it was a great choice.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hailinel
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " i know gamespot is the site everyone here likes to hate, but, i think they deserved a lot kudos for naming Demon Souls GOTY. it was a great choice. "
    I found that decision to be far more thought out and explained with more skill than Game Trailers awarding GOTY to MW2 on every platform it appeared on.  Demon's Souls deserves its accolades.
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TwoOneFive said:
    " i know gamespot is the site everyone here likes to hate, but, i think they deserved a lot kudos for naming Demon Souls GOTY. it was a great choice. "
    Eh, that was a little extreme I think. A GOTY should be a game anyone can enjoy, DS seems to appeal to a small masocore audience. I know there are quite a few people that say they like it, but I feel like its a vocal minority. Either that or the only people who bought the game knew they were going to like it before they bought it.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hailinel
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " @TwoOneFive said:
    Eh, that was a little extreme I think. A GOTY should be a game anyone can enjoy, DS seems to appeal to a small masocore audience. I know there are quite a few people that say they like it, but I feel like its a vocal minority. Either that or the only people who bought the game knew they were going to like it before they bought it. "
    I think what you ask for is an impossibility.  No game is going to be liked by everyone, whether it be due to disinterest in the game's genre, stylistic choices in the game, or what have you.  Demon's Souls kicks my ass, but I'd sooner play it than Mondern Warfare 2 or Starcraft II.  They made their decision and they were able to back it up.
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel:  Alright, I didn't mean absolutely everyone. It just seems like DS really only appeals to a small sector of players (really hardcore gamers). I think a Game of the Year should be something with a little bit wider appeal. Your average gamer is going to be completely turned off by DS.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Hailinel said:
    " @President_Barackbar said:
    " @TwoOneFive said:
    Eh, that was a little extreme I think. A GOTY should be a game anyone can enjoy, DS seems to appeal to a small masocore audience. I know there are quite a few people that say they like it, but I feel like its a vocal minority. Either that or the only people who bought the game knew they were going to like it before they bought it. "
    I think what you ask for is an impossibility.  No game is going to be liked by everyone, whether it be due to disinterest in the game's genre, stylistic choices in the game, or what have you.  Demon's Souls kicks my ass, but I'd sooner play it than Mondern Warfare 2 or Starcraft II.  They made their decision and they were able to back it up. "
    I agree. A good game is a game that does what it's trying to do, and does it well. Demon's Souls did it more than well. It almost perfected the feel for its combat system and made the tightest action-rpg that this kid's ever played. ...Don't know if I'd name it GOTY 2009, myself... but... well, actually, I think I would.
    WEGGLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By WEGGLES
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " @Hailinel:  Alright, I didn't mean absolutely everyone. It just seems like DS really only appeals to a small sector of players (really hardcore gamers). I think a Game of the Year should be something with a little bit wider appeal. Your average gamer is going to be completely turned off by DS. "
    I don't think rewarding "wide appeal" is a good thing.  

Demon's Souls did something kind-of different. And it did it well. Totally deserved Goty over something like MW2.  

Just because everyone won't like it doesn't mean it's not a excellent, and well made game.  

We don't get new groundbreaking shit going for mass appeal.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " As a PS3 owned I have yet to purchase this game even though I probably should have, now I definitely will. "
    same i wanted to buy it so many times. seriously i feel like a jerk for not. ive played it enough to know its great though
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @President_Barackbar:  I don't see how that's relevant. It's meant to be a measure of quality, not an ass-kissing contest a la Gametrailers.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Hailinel said:
    " @TwoOneFive said:
    I found that decision to be far more thought out and explained with more skill than Game Trailers awarding GOTY to MW2 on every platform it appeared on.  Demon's Souls deserves its accolades. "
    MW2 was only chosen as GOTY because of popularity, they know a ton of people will love the decision and Gamespot actually pulled the right move by picking a great game.

MW2 is highly over-rated, kiss my ass COD fanboy's.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.