Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

Just got the game and don't know which class to pick.

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By ComradeKhan

Can someone help de-mistify the classes for me and explain what importance my soul level will have, how important the starting equipment will be, and starting stats like luck... Any help would be greatly appreciated and any tips or words of wisdom would be great.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Class isn't all too important in Demon's Souls, since the best way to play is by putting a little bit of your experience into all stats.

Personally, I went with the Knight, since he starts out with some decent weapons and a shield. If you go with the knight though, make sure you ditch the armor you start out with as soon as you get something lighter. Being able to move and dodge quickly is more important than having a strong defense stat.

Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Noodlearms

I liked Thief the most, but it doesn't really matter.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By onarum

well, there's a wiki you know... you can find anything you want there.

That said, if you want a easier start pick the Royalty class, you'll start with a good spell and a ring that regenerates mana, I like starting with the hunter because you'll have full leather armor, and it gives you a decent protection while maintaining full mobility, and that's key, being able to  roll freely is a million times more important then heavy armor, also your starting soul level doesn't mean anything, you can spec your character any way you want after the first boss.

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By 02sfraser

I think I went for Knight but there is a class very simliar that gives you a small healing spell as well. Temple Knight or something like that.... Check the descriptions and you'll see.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By benjaebe

Depends on what kind of character you want to play - usually, Temple Knight or Royal (which starts with Soul Arrow, a useful goddamn spell) are good places to start.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By animateria

Overall Royal and erm... Templar are the best I think. 

Royal is good because it starts at level 1, giving you more options to put your stats into. And they get a mana generating ring which is nice in the beginning. The starting gear isn't great, but it's easy to find replacements (Especially female characters). 

Templar (Edit: I meant Temple Knight.. But close enough) is great because it has decent gear and a healing spell in the beginning.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mordukai
    @FancySoapsMan said:

" Class isn't all too important in Demon's Souls, since the best way to play is by putting a little bit of your experience into all stats.  Personally, I went with the Knight, since he starts out with some decent weapons and a shield. If you go with the knight though, make sure you ditch the armor you start out with as soon as you get something lighter. Being able to move and dodge quickly is more important than having a strong defense stat. "

New people will find the Royalty class the best class to start with. On one hand it's starts with the lowest soul level but on the other hand it's the only class that has a rare item from the get go. Start with that one. Classes in this game just basically means how you wanna start the game. It really depends which attribute you invest that defines your style of play. WHat it means is that even if you start as a melle class you can still end up as a magic user.   

@onarum
    said:
    " well, there's a wiki you know... you can find anything you want there.  That said, if you want a easier start pick the Royalty class, you'll start with a good spell and a ring that regenerates mana, I like starting with the hunter because you'll have full leather armor, and it gives you a decent protection while maintaining full mobility, and that's key, being able to  roll freely is a million times more important then heavy armor, also your starting soul level doesn't mean anything, you can spec your character any way you want after the first boss. "
    As much as the Wiki web sites helps I would recommend only using as a last resort. The game is based on observation and learning and the site will ruin the game for you by letting you know how to defeat a boss or where treasure is at. 
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CL60

Royalty is the easiest to start with.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Spoonman671

I recommend the Temple Knight class.  I feel it's a good class for beginners because it has a strong defense, great armor, and it starts off with everything you need to use miracles (healing spells) right away.  Also, the halberd is a badass weapon.

Don't worry too much about what class you're going to start with, since you'll be able to take the character in whatever direction you choose once you start leveling up.

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ComradeKhan

Thanks for the quick responses. Its good to know that I'll be able to spec however I want, so now I don't have to stress about which one I choose... I'm still not totally sure yet, I just tried a bit of it as the Royal class and I can already see how extremely useful that starting spell is, but I really want to get in and do some hack n slash. The Hunter sounds appealing with a mix of ranged and melee potential, plus the leather armor seems like a good starting set... I'll figure it out i guess... Thanks for the comments, keep posting any other thoughts on the subject since i'm still open to suggestion. Any other stuff I need to know would be cool to, since I don't plan to look at any guides or wiki info. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By xyzygy

I started out with a hunter and had a blast. A good bow is essential in DS, so make that one of your top priorities and picking the Hunter will help you start out getting used to it. Although, class doesn't really matter after you gain a few levels.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By kingzetta

Royal is the only way to play

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By McGhee
    @ComradeKhan:  
    I would say don't sweat the armor. If you're getting hit a lot then you're not playing right anyway. It's all about your shield and rolling for defense. Once you get to really high levels the armor won't make much of a difference anyway.
    Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chop

Temple Knight or Royalty are the best starting classes. 

Avoid Thief because luck is useless and a waste of soul levels. 

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ComradeKhan

What effect does the luck stat have exactly? Is it just item drop chance or does it change your encounters in the game at all?

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By onarum
    @ComradeKhan said:
    " What effect does the luck stat have exactly? Is it just item drop chance or does it change your encounters in the game at all? "
    just item drop.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.