Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

Looking for a heavy 2H weapon

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By peacebrother

I finished my second playthrough of Dark Souls with a no shield 2H Zweihander character and I had a blast.

I've started up Demon's Souls again and I want to do something similar. I've already got the bastard sword to start me off, but I want something bigger. I want a giant thing to smash enemies to pieces with. I've seen the Dragon Bone Smasher, but that seems like it's a while away. Is there anything (relatively) early on that will satiate my lust for a giant weapon? The great sword seems pretty good, and that's in 1-3, so I suppose it's not too far away.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Spoonman671

You'll probably want to check out the Flamberge. You'll have to switch to a dexterity build though, and focus on the sharp or tearing upgrade paths. Alternatively, you go down the quality path and balance your stats. This would be preferable if you want the strength to switch over to the Dragon Bone Smasher later on.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks, I restarted so I have room to fiddle with stats before I stick with a weapon. I'll get the Flamberge asap.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Spoonman671

@melvargh: I was assuming you wanted to go with a sword. If you're willing to try a blunt weapon, then the Great Club is also a good choice, and attainable very early in the game.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@melvargh said:

I finished my second playthrough of Dark Souls with a no shield 2H Zweihander character and I had a blast.

I've started up Demon's Souls again and I want to do something similar. I've already got the bastard sword to start me off, but I want something bigger. I want a giant thing to smash enemies to pieces with. I've seen the Dragon Bone Smasher, but that seems like it's a while away. Is there anything (relatively) early on that will satiate my lust for a giant weapon? The great sword seems pretty good, and that's in 1-3, so I suppose it's not too far away.

Get pure white world tendency in world 2, and then get the Dragon Bone Crusher sword from 2-3. It's basically the Dragon's Tooth of Demon's Souls.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@turambar: He has his eye on it but honestly that sword is quite an investment, has limited use and is tricky to get - maybe things changed since release but pure white tendency used to be hard to get.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The greatsword (http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/great-sword) is basically identical to the zweihander, if you want that. The flamberge is fun too though.;

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@turambar: He has his eye on it but honestly that sword is quite an investment, has limited use and is tricky to get - maybe things changed since release but pure white tendency used to be hard to get.

It certainly does need offline play to get reliably, but it's not too hard to obtain if you do so. Just kill a boss, and suicide in the Nexus.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
    deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's the Flamberg in 3-2 near Yurt.

The Dragon Bone Smasher in 2-3 (As mention above) But it's attack animations are kinda weird in my opinion.

And then there is the Claymore. (1-1 Blue eye Knight. 1-2 Merchant and 1-3 Merchant) The Claymore is stronger than the Flamberg, has basically the same attack animations as Dark Souls Zwiehander and can be obtained really early in the game. I'm doing a play through with it right now and it's doing a butt load of damage at just +3.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#10  Edited By jacksukeru

I started a new character in Demon's Souls recently too. Rediscovering that game has been weird, but fun.

I'm doing a Strength build and bought the Claymore for 6000 souls from the Dregling in 1-2, it's basically a larger version of the Bastard Sword that I used before that, just finished farming Greystone Chunks in 2-2 for it too. I wish there was some way to fuse shards into chunks, even if it took like 40 of them, cause I had over a hundred before I got the 6 chunks I needed. Ironically the effort I put into obtaining a Pure Greystone from Scirvir was kinda for naught 'cause one dropped when I was farming chunks.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Humanity

@turambar said:
    @humanity said:

It certainly does need offline play to get reliably, but it's not too hard to obtain if you do so. Just kill a boss, and suicide in the Nexus.

IT does have an awesome backstab animation and the overhead strike is also kinda crazy.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@turambar said:
    @humanity said:

IT does have an awesome backstab animation and the overhead strike is also kinda crazy.

It's also one of the very few ultra-great class weapons in the game. Demon's Souls has a general lack of those, really.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By slyspider

Meat cleaver is the weapon you want to work to. Its got S in strength, S in dex and A in faith.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Akeldama

@melvargh said:

The easiest and probably most effective weapon you will want to go for is the Meat Cleaver

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh yeah the meat cleaver is one of the best weapons in the game and it's a big slow weapon. Only Weapon with double S scaling.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By peacebrother

The meat cleaver sounds awesome, that's next on the hit list. The Flamberge is good, but it feels almost identical to the bastard sword, so I'm gonna check out the MC.

Yeah, I just watched a video of the meat cleaver, that's exactly what I want. Slow, heavy, and devastating.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fredchuckdave

The Dragon Bone Smasher is gated behind by far the hardest boss in the game so dunno if that's the one to start with.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ahhh for early game i dont know, maybe flameberg as everyone else says
    i use a +5 dragon tooth, its does amazing dmg, but its so slow
    or you can use Greatsword Of Artorias (Cursed) or Black Knight Great Axe

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By soldierg654342

The lack of poise in Demon's Souls makes things like the Greatsword of the Dragon Bone Smasher kind of terrible. Weather or not your attack animation can be interrupted depends on the weapon class, and I think the only class of weapon with uninterrupted attacks are large hammers (like the Meat Cleaver). I have a Greatsword, no shield build now and it's sucks fighting faster enemies because you can't stack some poise and tank hits. Their move-sets are also terrible, nothing like in Dark Souls, if that's what you are after.

Also, the Dragon Bone Smasher can be gotten very early. It all depends on when you can take the Flamelurker, as you don't have to engage the Dragon God to get it.

Large swords are very much doable, however. The combat in Demon's Souls is so much faster that the large swords like the Claymore and Flamberge swing about as fast as the regular straight swords in Dark Souls.

Also, for reference, the sword classes in Demon's Souls are: Straight, Large, Very Large, Curved, Katana.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just forged the Meat Cleaver, and it's awesome. Huge and slow as fuck: forces me to wear light armor and encourages rolling/dodging/positioning.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.