Looking for an explanation for something that happened

#1 Posted by Nate (702 posts) -

So I picked up Demon's Souls again tonight for a good ass-whooping and ran into an issue I can't figure out. I was in 2-2, and was killing guys with one strong and one weak thrust of my sword, or in one shot with soul arrow. I got on some weird path of tunnels that I hadn't found before (love when that happens) killing all these beatle things. Anyway, eventually I got too close to one on this switchback mess of trails (once you get out of the tunnels) and died.  Before going to try it again, I went back to the Nexus and leveled up.  I increased my magic by 1, and went back to try again.  Now this time, when I would cast soul arrow on the same enemies, it didn't quite kill them.  With my sword (Kris blade) it now took 2 strong swings to kill them instead of strong, weak.  
I tried to think of everything. I was in soul form for both of these runs, I know I was.  I was wearing wizard's clothes and that bandana face covering thing (can't remember what it's called), and switched those out for the binded cross body and headgear for one run. When I realized the problem I switched back to my original armor and deposited the other stuff again, but still not dealing the same damage.  It's really weird. I did level up my magic and if anything should now be dealing MORE damage, not less.  Any possible explanations?

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -
#3 Posted by Karkarov (3054 posts) -

What that guy said minus the link the the highly over used/rated wiki site.  You are sure you were soul form for every run yeah?  Cause that makes a difference.  Also did you kill any of the BP's in the zone or maybe any bosses?  That also has an impact.

#4 Posted by Keenblaze (471 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Nate: Dying in a world makes the world's tendency blacker, making for tougher enemies. That is most likely it. 

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency
Dying makes the game harder? What? 

Now I begin to understand why people complained about the difficulty.
#5 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1414 posts) -

If you were in soul form when you first died then I'm not sure what's wrong. Are you connected online, or are you playing offline? I've read that some times you world tendency can change when you're online without you dying in human form. I think that's what I read, or something similar to that. But if you died in human form then, yeah, what FluxwaveZ said.

#6 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -
@Keenblaze said: 
Dying makes the game harder? What?    
 Now I begin to understand why people complained about the difficulty.
And some people like the challenge/punishment. When a tendency goes blacker, enemies give out more souls as well as getting harder so it balances out.
#7 Posted by Karkarov (3054 posts) -

Rare drop rates increase as well in darker soul tendency areas.

#8 Posted by Nate (702 posts) -

Okay. I definitely was in soul form (I rarely am not) and I died twice - once on the flamelurker, and once when I killed one of those beetle things and it exploded.  So, that makes sense that world tendency would get blacker. Thanks everyone.

#9 Posted by Karkarov (3054 posts) -
@Nate said:
Okay. I definitely was in soul form (I rarely am not) and I died twice - once on the flamelurker, and once when I killed one of those beetle things and it exploded.  So, that makes sense that world tendency would get blacker. Thanks everyone.
Except that world tendency is not affected by deaths that take place in soul form.  Shadowblade made a good point though, were you playing online or offline?
#10 Posted by Nate (702 posts) -
@Karkarov said:
@Nate said:
Except that world tendency is not affected by deaths that take place in soul form.  Shadowblade made a good point though, were you playing online or offline?
I was playing online - always do. By myself, but online.
#11 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

@Nate said:

@Karkarov said:
@Nate said:
Okay. I definitely was in soul form (I rarely am not) and I died twice - once on the flamelurker, and once when I killed one of those beetle things and it exploded. So, that makes sense that world tendency would get blacker. Thanks everyone.
Except that world tendency is not affected by deaths that take place in soul form. Shadowblade made a good point though, were you playing online or offline?
I was playing online - always do. By myself, but online.

That's probably what did it. It's difficult to control the tendencies while playing online, which is why I usually play offline.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.