Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

Quick Look

• 84 results
    THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By THE_END

Giant Bomb Crew,

Please tell me you guys are working on a Quick Look on Demon's Souls.
    I know Jeff was playing this game recently.......maybe a QL with him and Brad.
    I know I'm asking for alot (especially by asking for specific staff to be in it) but.......pretty please with a cherry on top.  :)

timay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By timay

I am really interested in what they have to say about this game.  I think a quick look will involve lots of dying.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By luce

i would like a quicklook also but idk if they could survive a QL of it..especially with Brad..

THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By THE_END

@luce said:

"i would like a quicklook also but idk if they could survive a QL of it..especially with Brad.. "

Brad might die once or twice but I love the reaction he makes in QLs when he is in trouble or close to dying.  :P

yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By yyZiggurat

Brad and Vinny seemed interested in it during the bombcast.  Ryan just shat on it =(

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187

I would also like to see a QL for this.  If it's seriously as awesome as it's being made out to be, then I may be willing to buy a PS3 finally...even though I'm STILL holding out for Dark Cloud 3, dammit!

cowdrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cowdrunk

I'm just waiting for my coppy to show up via snale mail (3-5 days my ass!) but i too would love to see a quick look of Demon's Souls  
    Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Out_On_Bail
    @jakob187: I'd be willing to bet you would enjoy this game. It's got loots, lots of enemies, good difficulty. It's a dungeon crawler of sorts, and if I remember correctly that is something you enjoy.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187
    @Out_On_Bail said:
    " @jakob187: I'd be willing to bet you would enjoy this game. It's got loots, lots of enemies, good difficulty. It's a dungeon crawler of sorts, and if I remember correctly that is something you enjoy. "
    I love the fuck out of some loot whoring, good sir.  However, this is From Software...on a console that I don't own.  Therefore, it's gonna have to be the goddamn Messiah in order for me to pick up a PS3 just for this game.  If it isn't the second coming, then I'm just going to have to wait for Level 5 to get their heads out of their asses with this White Knight Chronicles bullshit and say the words "Dark Cloud 3".
    ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ververdan0226

Ryan tweeted that Vinny was playing it this morning... so, uh, maybe? Ryan really seems to have it out for that game though...

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By rjayb89
    @ververdan0226 said:
    " Ryan tweeted that Vinny was playing it this morning... so, uh, maybe? Ryan really seems to have it out for that game though... "
    And that Jeff was wearing long pants for some reason.  Something must be wrong.
    ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ververdan0226
    @rjayb89 said:
    " @ververdan0226 said:
    " Ryan tweeted that Vinny was playing it this morning... so, uh, maybe? Ryan really seems to have it out for that game though... "
    And that Jeff was wearing long pants for some reason.  Something must be wrong. "
    Indeed. I don't think I've ever seen Jeff in a video while wearing long pants...
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By rjayb89
    @ververdan0226:PANTS! (just remembered he was in a video with pants)

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Gabriel

Yeah a quick look would be awsome, especially Bolterian Palace (level 1-1)
    yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By yyZiggurat
    @Gabriel: As much as awesome as that would be, I have a feeling it would end up like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0F1glN9JjE#t=9m48s 
    THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By THE_END
    @HomemadeZiggurat said:
    " @Gabriel: As much as awesome as that would be, I have a feeling it would end up like this:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0F1glN9JjE#t=9m48s  "

Nice find dude.  This guy actually did a decent job walking us through the game.......
    HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By HypoXenophobia

I feel the quick look might come probably in a week or so. Generally, they tend to get far enough within the game where they have a firm grasp of the play mechanics. As a person whose gotten insanely frustrated, but constantly comes back to demon's soul, I feel that might take quite a bit. But Vinny has been known to chug through a game for long play sessions (Fallout 3). So he could easily be at 4-1 by monday, with Pure Black World Tendency. May God bless his soul.

Avatar image for carolinafan3515
    CarolinaFan3515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By CarolinaFan3515
    @jakob187 said:
    " I would also like to see a QL for this.  If it's seriously as awesome as it's being made out to be, then I may be willing to buy a PS3 finally...even though I'm STILL holding out for Dark Cloud 3, dammit! "
    Dark Cloud 3 would be AMAZING, but Level-5 has White Knight Chronicles coming out next year and are working on other IPs for the moment so I wouldn't hold my breath.
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By donchipotle

If there's a quick look, I think Ryan should be the co pilot. If only because of how dismissive of the game he was on the Bombcast. It might not change his mind, but it's always funny to have an uninterested guest host.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EVO
    @CarolinaFan3515 said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    " I would also like to see a QL for this.  If it's seriously as awesome as it's being made out to be, then I may be willing to buy a PS3 finally...even though I'm STILL holding out for Dark Cloud 3, dammit! "
    Dark Cloud 3 would be AMAZING, but Level-5 has White Knight Chronicles coming out next year and are working on other IPs for the moment so I wouldn't hold my breath. "
    "Level 5 would consider new Dark Cloud if community shows interest"
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By animateria

Nah, a QL is probably will mostly consist of deaths, and more deaths.

Going to be a discredit to the game.

Which surprisingly is getting raving reviews from everywhere.  

Even with it's difficulty!

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CenturionCajun

That's because the difficulty is perhaps the central theme of the game. As has been stated many times this game isn't cheap. It's just hard. Every time you die it's because you timed something wrong, walked off a ledge, or simply got too cocky and let a gang of weaker enemies get the upper hand. I agree that a Quick Look would likely not show this feature as it has taken me literally hours to get the swing of certain sections so far. In the half hour or so that most Quick Looks last this wouldn't come across well.

Avatar image for carolinafan3515
    CarolinaFan3515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CarolinaFan3515
    @EVO said:
    " @CarolinaFan3515 said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    Dark Cloud 3 would be AMAZING, but Level-5 has White Knight Chronicles coming out next year and are working on other IPs for the moment so I wouldn't hold my breath. "
    "Level 5 would consider new Dark Cloud if community shows interest" "
    *CarolinaFan begins holding breath*
    ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By ventilaator

Guess what

There's a quick look.  Just search for it.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Andorski
    @Ventilaator: Just checked.  There isn't one.

Screw Quick Look though... I'm thinking Endurance Run.
    dingraha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dingraha
    @animateria said:
    " Nah, a QL is probably will mostly consist of deaths, and more deaths.  Going to be a discredit to the game.  Which surprisingly is getting raving reviews from everywhere.    Even with it's difficulty! "
    I don't think so, considering that dying and learning from your deaths is worked in as a primary mechanic of the game. Plus I think the game is made out to be much harder than it actually is; there might be a spate of deaths amongst players just starting out, but that's mostly because near every modern action RPG emphasizes making the PC feel like a walking tank and allows for wading in to a mob of enemies and coming out unscathed, usually with a backpack full of loot (I am not implying that this is a bad thing, Diablo II is a fun game y'all). If someone tries to play Demon's Souls like this they're gonna get wrecked consistently, once they learn how to read signs, interpret other players deaths, and fight cautiously, the amount of PC deaths drops off dramatically. At least, this has been the case with me.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By CL60
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By delta_ass

Jeff should give shants a try. Kevin Smith wears em all the time.

What's a shant, you ask? Why, short pants. Or pant shorts. They're shorter then pants, but pantsier then shorts.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Andorski
    @CL60: Are they still uploading the video, because the video player doesn't show up for me when I clicked the link.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By CL60
    @Andorski said:
    " @CL60: Are they still uploading the video, because the video player doesn't show up for me when I clicked the link. "
    I know, but it's still there, so we know a quick look is coming.
    Jerusahat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jerusahat
    @animateria said:

" Going to be a discredit to the game.  "

They aren't supposed to be spot-on play-throughs. They don't even qualify as reviews. Most people here understand that it's hard to talk about a game while you're playing it, and show off a lot in a short period of time.

We expect Brad... or whoever, to die a lot. This is normal. It's just nice to see a game in action, and hear the guys crack a few jokes while talking about what's going on.

Honestly, you need to be a little less precious about this. This goes for the Dragon Age fans too. You're being silly.
    THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By THE_END
    Moztacular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Moztacular

Man that quick look was rough! I'm not shocked that jeff was turned off by the game, and it was nice to hear Dave step up and admit his curiosity towards the game. Vinnie did suprisingly well considering he spent 100 hours hitting x on the endurance run the past 6 months (kidding, i know persona is more than hitting 'x' trust me)

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By unsolvedparadox

Thanks to Vinny, I had no idea what this game was about but had kept eyeing the Collector's Edition on Amazon (disclaimer: I am a sucker for collectible anything in video games).

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By animateria
    @Jerusahat said:
    " @animateria said:

They aren't supposed to be spot-on play-throughs. They don't even qualify as reviews. Most people here understand that it's hard to talk about a game while you're playing it, and show off a lot in a short period of time. We expect Brad... or whoever, to die a lot. This is normal. It's just nice to see a game in action, and hear the guys crack a few jokes while talking about what's going on.  Honestly, you need to be a little less precious about this. This goes for the Dragon Age fans too. You're being silly. "

Reading the responses to the QL, I think I was pretty spot on.

Not a lot of people understand the brief nature of QL and take it almost as a review.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By dbz1995
    @animateria said:
    " @Jerusahat said:
    " @animateria said:

They aren't supposed to be spot-on play-throughs. They don't even qualify as reviews. Most people here understand that it's hard to talk about a game while you're playing it, and show off a lot in a short period of time. We expect Brad... or whoever, to die a lot. This is normal. It's just nice to see a game in action, and hear the guys crack a few jokes while talking about what's going on.  Honestly, you need to be a little less precious about this. This goes for the Dragon Age fans too. You're being silly. "
     Reading the responses to the QL, I think I was pretty spot on.  Not a lot of people understand the brief nature of QL and take it almost as a review. "
    Thats exactly what I said to that dude who has made it his life objective to argue the fuck outta every dude that has posted on that QL.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Diamond
    @RsistncE said:
    This game is fucking poo.
    This is what's wrong with Giant Bomb today.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#38  Edited By wefwefasdf

This game looks really fun from a couple other websites that I have seen footage from. I'll have to watch this QL though.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By handlas
    @HomemadeZiggurat said:
    " @Gabriel: As much as awesome as that would be, I have a feeling it would end up like this:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0F1glN9JjE#t=9m48s  "
    This assertion was pretty accurate.  Vinny seemed to enjoy the game but it seemed like it was just being met with sighs and criticism.
    Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By Out_On_Bail
    @RsistncE: Why, because it's hard? That makes sense.
    Jerusahat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jerusahat
    @animateria said:
    "Reading the responses to the QL, I think I was pretty spot on.  Not a lot of people understand the brief nature of QL and take it almost as a review. "
    You said the QL would be a discredit to the game, but I disagree. The only thing that's going to put people off are the death penalties, which Vinny thoughtfully showed off multiple times. ;)

Anyway, I've read your other comment, and I think we're pretty much saying the same thing. I stand by my final statement - people are taking video games far too seriously, and they're being very silly.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By animateria
    @Diamond said:
    " @RsistncE said:
    This game is fucking poo.
    This is what's wrong with Giant Bomb today. "
    Yup. But hey, they'll miss out on games for being so hasty in judgment. 

And it keeps them out of the game as well. I'm just thinking it as a player filter for the game at this point.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Diamond

I think the GB crew did an OK job with the QL.  Even Vinny didn't really know everything about the game, he didn't talk about shortcuts, he didn't know you don't get the stone for invading other people until later, he didn't show the dual wielding or female sex option (which may be confusing to people who only saw the slider).  Yet they showed it off reasonably.

The reaction from GB users in the QL comments has been downright pathetic, however.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44  Edited By carlthenimrod

So, the quick-look really put me off of the game and I haven't read any reviews. I'm still intrigued though. Might check it out.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dan_CiTi

They should have tried to kill NPCs in the Nexus. That's the way to play.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#46  Edited By hinderk

I thought they did a good job on the quick look.It made me really want the game. I was thinking of getting this after I had beaten uncharted 2, but now I think I'll get it today or tomorrow and buy uncharted 2 later next week.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RsistncE
    @Out_On_Bail said:
    " @RsistncE: Why, because it's hard? That makes sense. "
    Actually no. From the look of the trailers and what I heard from a couple of my friends with import copies it apparently had a mature Zelda-esque gameplay style to it....but the quick look confirmed for me that it didn't. Good job on just making a random guess though, well done.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Diamond
    @RsistncE said:
    Logical fallacy: it doesn't matter whether or not I like or dislike something, the topic was about the Demon's Souls QL and I put in my opinion which is I feel it doesn't look like a great game.  Maybe it's "trolling" to you because I'm not jerking off over a game you feel is amazing, but unfortunately they're called opinions. Seriously are you guys on Atlus' payroll or something? "
    Logical fallacy : going into a thread and saying a game 'is fucking poo' and you haven't even played it is not expressing an opinion.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RsistncE
    @Diamond said:
    " @RsistncE said:
    Logical fallacy: it doesn't matter whether or not I like or dislike something, the topic was about the Demon's Souls QL and I put in my opinion which is I feel it doesn't look like a great game.  Maybe it's "trolling" to you because I'm not jerking off over a game you feel is amazing, but unfortunately they're called opinions. Seriously are you guys on Atlus' payroll or something? "
    Logical fallacy : going into a thread and saying a game 'is fucking poo' and you haven't even played it is not expressing an opinion. "
    Sorry should have said "this game LOOKS like fucking poo".

Happy?
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By handlas

well, he said his "friends" said the game is like Zelda.  And he said, based on the quicklook, that the game doesn't look like Zelda.

So ...ya... he's a dumbass is what I'm getting at. 

@Diamond said:

" @RsistncE said:

Logical fallacy : going into a thread and saying a game 'is fucking poo' and you haven't even played it is not expressing an opinion. "

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.