Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

So, Demon's Souls. Why do I like it?

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By coaxmetal

So, I very recently tried Demon's Souls, and it is now one of my favorite games. Listening to Vinny describe it though, it really is nuts. He may like Dark Souls a lot more though, since both the World Tendency system and the grinding for stones system are being removed. 

The talk about it though made me think about why I like it so damn much. First of all, I do enjoy the lack of handholding, just dropping you in. That and the tone make it seem very very different from other games, it doesn't try to teach you how to play, you are just there to experience it. More than that though, I think they way it works, slowly coming to understand the different systems in place, is very rewarding, especially giving the unforgiving nature of the game. The story too is good, I like that it isn't fed to you, its there, but you need to draw it out but talking to NPC's and looking at things, and making inferences, it is never spelled out for you. 

In addition to all that though... its also just a lot of fun to play.  I can't really articulate why, but the gameplay itself is rewarding to me. I don't find it clunky like some, but obviously if you aren't into the gameplay then the game would not be too enjoyable. I just make a point of saying this to make it clear that I don't think the game is something I have to suffer through to get the satisfaction of the story or of beating a challenge. The classic example of suffering through poor, repetitive gameplay for a future reward is an MMO, but this is very unlike that. ALso, it gives no promise of any rewards =P.

Anyway, I hope that answers some of the questions Vinny and maybe others have about what people see in the game.  

Also, for those having difficulty,  http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/ (made by Goons and Gaffers) is the ultimate resource. If you are an SA member (or even if you aren't and just want to read it), the thread ( http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3106674) is also pretty amazing.  

Anyhow, there is my 2 souls, hope someone finds it helpful or interesting. 

Edit: also, I found this on the thread and was amused: 

No Caption Provided
    coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By coaxmetal

So, I very recently tried Demon's Souls, and it is now one of my favorite games. Listening to Vinny describe it though, it really is nuts. He may like Dark Souls a lot more though, since both the World Tendency system and the grinding for stones system are being removed. 

The talk about it though made me think about why I like it so damn much. First of all, I do enjoy the lack of handholding, just dropping you in. That and the tone make it seem very very different from other games, it doesn't try to teach you how to play, you are just there to experience it. More than that though, I think they way it works, slowly coming to understand the different systems in place, is very rewarding, especially giving the unforgiving nature of the game. The story too is good, I like that it isn't fed to you, its there, but you need to draw it out but talking to NPC's and looking at things, and making inferences, it is never spelled out for you. 

In addition to all that though... its also just a lot of fun to play.  I can't really articulate why, but the gameplay itself is rewarding to me. I don't find it clunky like some, but obviously if you aren't into the gameplay then the game would not be too enjoyable. I just make a point of saying this to make it clear that I don't think the game is something I have to suffer through to get the satisfaction of the story or of beating a challenge. The classic example of suffering through poor, repetitive gameplay for a future reward is an MMO, but this is very unlike that. ALso, it gives no promise of any rewards =P.

Anyway, I hope that answers some of the questions Vinny and maybe others have about what people see in the game.  

Also, for those having difficulty,  http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/ (made by Goons and Gaffers) is the ultimate resource. If you are an SA member (or even if you aren't and just want to read it), the thread ( http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3106674) is also pretty amazing.  

Anyhow, there is my 2 souls, hope someone finds it helpful or interesting. 

Edit: also, I found this on the thread and was amused: 

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for freezingvibrations
    FreezingVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Dude, I love demons! But I'm on the fence regarding their souls.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By iDarktread

DEMON'S SOULS FUCK YES.

Loopah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Loopah

Love the game.  I need to get it back out and muscle through it though.  Final Fantasy XIII interrupted me back when it came out.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By kingzetta

I like me some Demon's souls

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By coaxmetal
    @FreezingVibrations said:
    " Dude, I love demons! But I'm on the fence regarding their souls. "
    Yo, but you can use their souls to get some sick swords and shit.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mordukai

FUnny you talked about Demon's Souls. I told a friend of mine to pick up and he did. He went through the first boss and then got himself ass raped by the dragon...LMAO! He msg me  "How to I get through the dragon " I go " Well, very patiently. Pay attention to his routine and time your runs right " He replies " but even I do time it I die because I don't health at full.  How can I get my health back " I say " you have to wait until you kill your next boss " I get back " WTF WTF WTF WTF!!!!!! FUCK THIS GAME "  

LMFAO DS brakes another. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

I loved that part of the bombcast so much. It's become like a running joke for how little the GB team just don't get it with Demon's Souls. Still, bless Vinny for pushing through and trying! <3

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My Demon's Souls chart was more like - You put in the game -> You do the tutorial and immediately love the combat -> Not sure if I was supposed to kill that boss or not -> Ok, thank god I was supposed to die -> Go to 1-1 -> Get lose -> Go to the Demon's Souls Wiki and learn how to be good -> Top 5 games of all time

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BraveToaster

I haven't played in a few days. 

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By RenegadeSaint

It really is an intriguing game. It's so divisive, but I get the feeling I would really enjoy it. Hopefully I will get to it one day.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @RenegadeSaint said:
    Hopefully I will get to it one day. "
    As someone who took a year and a half to "get to it" I totally recommend "getting to it".
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Doctorchimp

My favorite PS3 game...easily

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By coaxmetal
    @RenegadeSaint said:
    " It really is an intriguing game. It's so divisive, but I get the feeling I would really enjoy it. Hopefully I will get to it one day. "
    Give it a shot, I actually though I would not like it before i played it, but a friend convinced me to pick it up for cheap late last year, and it's now one of my favorite games. So, join the late-to-the-Demon's-souls-party club. We really need to work on getting a better name for the club though.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Azteck

I wish I had a PS3 'cause I really want to try this game. It looks like a ton of fun.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By animateria

Finally beat it on NG+... It was agonizing! 

And then I proceeded to start to go through NG++... 

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Fallen189

You like it because it's challenging in a way that modern gaming shys away from. It goes back to older NES games when challenge was purely on player skill and rote memorization, as opposed to random stuff. 

And also, because it's a really good game.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By mutha3

Eh, its not that hard if you're willing to actually pay attention to the tutorial and think for yourself.

Demon Souls isn't hard per-say, its just unforgiving and doesn't hold your hand in the least bit.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RenegadeSaint
    @Riboflavin: After listening to Vinny's hilarious description of his experiences with the game on the latest Bombcast, I'm convinced I have to play. Need to finish working my way through Killzone 2 first, but then my PS3 queue is empty.
    PatriotsAreGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PatriotsAreGod

Best game on the PS3.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By tourgen

Great post.  I love the flow chart.  I thought a a lot about why I love this game too after their podcast. 

I love this game.  I love that it has no in-game map or mini-map.  I love that each weapon attack and recovery animation is different and it's duration/length depends somewhat on stats.  I love how it handles shields, parries, weapon reach and range weapons.  I love that a caster class is a viable way to play the game and isn't arbitrarily punished.  I love each of the worlds and how different they are, and how non-linear parts of the level geometry are designed.

Weapon upgrades are interesting and very in-depth.  The bosses are all pretty different in visual style and type of gameplay.  There is a whole bunch of secret and hidden items and areas.  You are absolutely encouraged to spin the camera around and look for secret ledges or interesting/useful bits of the world geometry.  There are a whole lot of hidden or discoverable interactions between items, stats, and upgrades.  The online modes are AMAZING and groundbreaking.  Replay is absolutely encouraged through a new game+ mechanic and just the variety of viable ways to build a character and play through the game.

The game requires you to think and build strategies.  There is definitely some trial and error required too.  That part can get a little frustrating but it's not that bad really.  Death is just part of the game.  That's what it takes to figure out enemy weaknesses and attack types. 

I think it comes down to how you like to play a game and how much time you have.  I see a lot of people who want to play every single game that comes out.    This game isn't for that type of person.  I think people who review games tend to fall into that compulsive trap too (Bombcast guys know this and account for it I think).  If a game is a little impenetrable or requires significant time investment they just like it less or not at all.  It's one of those games where you really have to get into it and play it.  It's unforgiving but very rewarding.  There is a whole lot going on under the cover that you have to earn the right to experience.  It punishes those seeking instant gratification. 

Demon's Souls is absolutely destined to become a classic RPG taking it's place among the best RPGs of all time. 

P.S. I bought a PS3 to play this game.

PatriotsAreGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PatriotsAreGod
    @tourgen:

Absolutely. The fact the game requires more attention than most is why it's so awesome. It demands patience. It demands your time. Thank God we have a game that you can't run and gun through in 5 hours.

It's worth every, single penny. I'm thinking.....and I have yet to think of a game that camouflages it's depth as well as Demon's Souls. In other words: The more time you spend with it, the more you are rewarded.

Excellent post, my Demon's Souls friend.
    Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gilsham

just started playing this (finished 1-1 started 1-2 and 2-1), I find it funny how people don't slam this game like they do monster hunter they are quite similar, I also thank them for putting dodge roll on a button as apposed to the GoW3 stick style which really pisses me off.

I find it funny that you can two hand every weapon it is a really cool concept with each mode having different attack etc but h2 a dagger looks crazy.

looking at all the people in the leader boards there is some sick look gear to get in the game

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Enigma777

I like the combat system. It's pretty good. Also it has a fantastic atmosphere. Probably one of the best I've seen in a videogame.

PatriotsAreGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PatriotsAreGod
    @Enigma777 said:
    " I like the combat system. It's pretty good. Also it has a fantastic atmosphere. Probably one of the best I've seen in a videogame. "
    I think having little soundtrack music is what really makes it shine.
    Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pezen

I got just before the weekend. I spent most of Sunday with it and I'm about to sit down with it in a few minutes again. When you start the game, it feels sort of as if by accident you walked into a private club and you were not invited. Nothing makes sense. What are the stats about, which should be high and.. dude that hunter has a double sided axe, sold! Then you begin the tutorial part of the game and suddenly you're killed by some huge monster. Still, it leaves a sour impression because you feel lost.  

Then you sit down with it, and stick with it for a little while and somewhere in those moments, it just clicks. I don't know what happened, it's not like my initial impression were horrible or anything, just lukewarm. But after an hour or so, I was into it somehow. The last thing I did sunday (aside from dying and giving up for the day) was taking down the red dragon in the beginning of 1-2.. and I should note that it died on my last projectile: a throwing knife.  

What I truly like about this game though is that it has the confidence in the player to let he or she figure it out on his own. It's not pointing me and telling me exactly what to do, I figured it out and that makes the tasks I finish feel that much more gratifying.  

Sure, dying and reclaiming your lost souls are a chore sometimes, but that's also why cautious play is rewarded. You plan ahead. You use your brain. It's refreshing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.