Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

The difficulty level of this game

Badalight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Badalight

So Demon's Souls has been getting a lot of attention because of it's supposed "extreme" difficulty level and learning curve. Anyone who plays the game for only 1-2 hours might agree, however having beat the game I can say for a fact the game is not as hard as it's made out to be.

No, it doesn't hold your hand. It's not easy but it's no where near impossible. Do people not remember the difficulty of older games? Games havn't always been so easy. Demon's Souls is no harder than Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry 3. It's difficult but not nearly as much as people say.

So the game starts off basically with you dead and leaves you with little healing items. This is the hardest part of the game, if you can get past this then trust me, the difficulty won't seem so bad.

People complain that you loose your souls when you die. There are a few reasons why that doesn't matter much.

1. You have a chance to get your body back.

2. Later in the game the amount of souls you'll lose is laughable. It's incredibly easy to get souls in 4-1, 4-2, and 4-3 that you won't care if you lose souls anymore. Your first few tries on a level will be hard as everything is so new, but once you have everything figure out like what enemies are weak against then it'll become really easy. Yes, when you die you start the level over, but once you've memorized the level it won't take you more than 3 minutes to get all the way to the end.

4-1 is acessible as soon as you beat the first boss in the game, and it gives you CRAZY amounts of money.

You're able to summon 2 blue phantom online players to help you beat levels. You can level messages that people can recommend which will heal you. People's bloodstains show you dangers up ahead. People's ghosts show you how to deal with certain enemies or encounters. Possibly the most important are the messages that players leave. If there is a hard part coming up, chances are there will be a message that will give you great advice on how to get past it.

The messages really will save your life in this game. 

I consider myself a bad gamer. I can't beat 2D mario or sonic games. I had to cheat to beat Devil May Cry 3, and I could only beat Ninja Gaiden on the easiest difficulty. I get frustrated easily at games, I have real anger issues.

So why did I like Demon's Souls? It's just a great game. I know it's not for everyone, so if it's not your cup of tea that's fine. But to say it's down-right a horrible and broken game is completely false. From software doesn't make the greatest games (Chromehounds is a piece of shit) but Demon's Souls was really a hit.

Like I said, I suck at games. Wanna know how many times I died in all of Demon's Souls? (Not counting suicides)

57, I kept tallies at how many times I died.

Over 20 of those were on the first level. Another 10 were on the last level. 

As soon as you get used to the game and it's mechanics it's really not that bad. People say it's fighting system is "clunky". I don't think so. It's not a hack N Slash game like Dynasty Warriors or God of War, it takes some strategy. They have a dodge button for a reason. It's incredibly useful.

I'm not gonna go into the discussion about it being GOTY on gamespot or it being dismissed by Giant Bomb almost completely, people have opinions. It just irritates me when people don't give a game a chance or simply dismiss it because of things they've heard.

Honestly when i first heard about this game I was totally turned off. Difficult game? No, not for me. I HATE difficult games. Yet no matter how many times I died in Demon's Souls I didn't get upset or angry, plus it's really not as hard as people make it out to be.

So in conclusion if you havn't tried it out atleast rent it for a few days. Also, if you are really getting frustrated trust me, it gets a LOT easier after you kill the first boss. The game does sort of throw you into the lion's den at the beggining, but that's part of how you learn to deal with certain threats. At first I was really mad at the developers for that, but in the end it was worth it because I figured out how to face certain enemies and how the game was going to be from then on out. The game didn't hold my hand so I had to learn to walk on my own, but boy walking for the first time sure felt good.

This game has a lot of hate and an equal amount of praise on this forum, and I don't want this to turn into some flame war. I just thought I'd clear up some misconceptions about the game. People like "milkman" just like to create drama. If you don't like a game that's fine, but we don't want to hear about it in every single thread. Also if you don't like the game then why would you be in the Demon's Souls section of this forum in the first place? That's just a bit odd to me.

Additional info:

Playtime: 15 hours (Longer than most games nowadays, but certaintly not long for an RPG)

Level I completed the game at: 65

Also, a lot of people say this game gets to much attention. That's a pretty bold statement. Last time I checked this game hadn't even sold 1 million copies. When GameSpot made it GOTY half of the comments were "Never heard of it". It's a very under the radar game. The game has been out in Japan for almost a year, and in america since October and it's just now reaching the 1 million units sold mark.

Modern Warfare 2 on it's first day sold 4.7 million. Saying this game is over-rated or gets too much attention is just plain false. Save that for games like MW2 or Uncharted. Not saying those 2 games are bad, just that they're extremely popular.

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By Heartagram

So are you saying Its hard but still play it? Thats a lot of text for that

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Akeldama

lol i read the first and last paragraphs...such a random topic change.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By mordukai
    @Badalight:  
    Good blog. I am also enjoying Demon's Souls very much. like you said.. Learn your enemies and their patterns and know when to strike and when not too and if you have patience then you'll do just fine. 
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By mordukai
    @Akeldama said:
    " lol i read the first and last paragraphs...such a random topic change. "
    LOl. man when Killed that Tower Knight I fucking got up and screamed. I don't even remember the last time I felt so happy about killing a boss. I just love the feeling I get when I see Black Phantoms running towards you.  
    CuddlyKnife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By CuddlyKnife
    @Heartagram said:

" thats a lot of text "

At least you kept it short and pointless. Thanks

On topic, I think that most reviewers don't really have much time to adjust to the game like us normals can, because they have weekly deadlines and such that prevent them from maximizing their abilities in the games they play.

That, and most people these days are pussies when it comes to difficult games. Or, if not that, they just don't take kindly to frustration in a world ruled by quick-saves, infinite lives, and health regen. Personally, I love a challenge, but not if it's challenging because it's cheap. i like to be able to say I failed at something because I didn't do what i should've to advance, and from what I hear of DS, you get that kind of cheap death a lot.

I'm also sore at From Software for not giving me a new Otogi.
    Badalight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Badalight

It doesn't take a lot of time to beat. A few hours a day for a few days. I played probably 2 hours a day for a week and finally beat it, and i felt like I was playing it very Casually.

Yeah, sorry I ended up ranting a bit, but I just wanted to clear everything up in one post.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#8  Edited By King9999

Wow, it took you 15 hours to beat?  It took me around 50.  But I did a lot of stuff, so maybe that's why.

Anyway, I pretty much agree with everything you said...I share the same thoughts regarding Demon's Souls' difficulty.  You will die a lot, but that's actually an important part of the game.  Dying has some major benefits...what other game can claim that?

ProfondoRosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ProfondoRosso

yeah, i don`t think the game is hard to the point of being unplayable, on the contrary, it`s a game that rewards thoughtful playing. And i have zero tolerance for games like Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry on the hardest settings.

it's unforgiving with begginers though, the first hours in Castle Boletaria until you beat Phalanx are basically one long learning curve. The pacing is military, for the lack of a better word.

Badalight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Badalight

The first tower isn't that hard either. Just make sure your shield is up when turning corners, save turpentines, time your blocks and parries, etc.

Phalanx is really easy aswell, I did'nt even use turpentines and I beat him on my first try.

Also when I said I died 20 times in the first level,  I meant 1-2 which is right after the first level, but it's the still in the first archstone. I didn't die until I got to the tower Knight who is the boss of 1-2.

Ratcabbage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Ratcabbage

Great article. I agree that Demon's Souls isn't as crazy hard as some people make it out to be, but there was one time where I felt the game was unnecessarily frustrating. I had just finished grinding enough to use a certain weapon and I went to fight the last boss...

and that bastard grabbed me and decreasded my soul level a few times. So my weapon was useless and I got rocked. So now, not only did I have to fight my way back to him, I had to go grind levels AGAIN before I could. I probably could've beat him with different weapon, but fuck that, I wanted to use my giant mace. 

It was the only time I felt Demons's Souls was being cheap because there was no precedence for it. I love Demon's Souls but that really pissed me off. And now I'm off to cry about it some more haha.  
    Badalight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Badalight

Yeah, happend to me to. But grinding end game is easy in 4-3 using sword of storm + ring of avarice. 

Almost 20k each run, and it only takes about 1 minute to kill all of the mantas.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.