Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

What do you make of the "I'm in trouble" messages

HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HaniBall

Personally. I hate them. The last thing I will do is recommend that message. I don't even read messages anymore because most of them are "I'm in trouble" messages. If those people needed help so much, I'd imagine it wouldn't be sooo hard to use an ephemeral eyes and summon me. I drop the blue stone frequently, yet summons are extremely rare.

Anyone else frustrated by this?

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By pause422

I dont really see how its something to be worked up about really. Yeah, I would never recommend those messages, but thats all there is to it. I just ignore it and keep moving. Not actually hurting me in any real way.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Red12b
    @joest01:
    What?
    yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By yyZiggurat

I'll recommend them if they haven't been recommended too many times yet.  Some "I need help -- please recommend this message" have been rec'd hundreds of times, which I don't understand.  I always assume the person genuinely needs help, so the fact that they're there doesn't bother me really.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MeierTheRed

All i know is that this is harsh please evaluate me.... like right now.

HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HaniBall

Haha, I guess I do get worked up about silly things.

But seriously, why not just summon a blue? The messages really do distract from the ones that are actually helpful (or deceiving...). When I explore a new dungeon, I tend to go forward slowly, shield raised. Fairly common approach? Well, to read a message I need to stop and lower my shield for a second to be able to click read. We all know that can be a pretty bad idea. Plus it just ruins the experience.

I just realize I'm as much of a whiner as those cry babies are. At least I do it outside of the game :D

Eisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Eisen
    @joest01: Well to summon a blue you have to be in human form, which I'm guessing someone in trouble likely is not.  I just ignore the message and go on.  The only thing that annoys me is when I see "I'm in trouble" messages being voted up and yet when I place a message to warn about a fall ahead I'm lucky to get a single recommendation.
    HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HaniBall

@Eisen: My best guess? They aren't even reading your recommendations, fall to their death and then post an "I'm in trouble" message.

Hmm, if people were using up their ephemeral eyes like crazy, I think I should get summoned more often. Maybe I'm wrong...

Or am I being too hard on them. It's just that I can't think of any valid reason to "be in trouble". Really. At least none that a little health boost at a random time would help with...

yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By yyZiggurat
    @joest01 said:
    " Hmm, if people were using up their ephemeral eyes like crazy, I think I should get summoned more often. Maybe I'm wrong "
    Being summoned depends on your level (because of the level cap) and where you place your mark.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Ineedaname

Messages give you health when some one rates it, that's the incentive to leave them, the I'm in trouble ones is probably someone looking for a little health any means necessary, if people rated it, and he got health maybe he'd do someone else, then we'd have a cycle of people using the system for why it was designed besides just helping.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By eroticfishcake

What's the point of the "I'm in trouble" messages anyway? Wasn't the note system designed to help you first THEN the note inscriber?

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Evilsbane

Is there a good writeup of this game somewhere it is confusing the shit out me I watched the quicklook and I am still scratching my head WTH is the point of all this whats the story WHATS GOING ON?

yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By yyZiggurat
    @Evilsbane: 

The voice overs aren't too great but they're good walkthroughs if you're too lazy to look up an article about the game.  There is also this site called "giantbomb.com" its like a wiki, maybe you should read the summary there.
    HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HaniBall

@Evilsbane: Gamersnode gives a pretty good overview of the game. Not a very good review perhaps, but it should give you an idea of the game itself. 
    http://www.gamernode.com/reviews/8300-demons-souls/index.html

@HomemadeZiggurat: Good point. Perhaps a bit off topic, but do you really think the range of soul levels in the various levels is that narrow? I mean after 1-1 it is really quite open where to go next. And I'm a lvl42 I think, so it should put me pretty much in the meat of things.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ineedaname
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " What's the point of the "I'm in trouble" messages anyway? Wasn't the note system designed to help you first THEN the note inscriber? "
    It's not just that though, people leave messages because there's an incentive, I'll admit people could leave more helpful ones, but if they're stuck in the same location throwing something like that down might get you health, I once left a vendor this way message, and I came online having just dropped out still in the main location, and got a tonne of health back, and a thing saying "Message rated", so if you're desperate there's no harm trying to help yourself along.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Ineedaname: Well the incentive is the main reason I know but it's a little selfish if you leave it all around the place just to help yourself. That's a harsh way of putting it but I guess some people just need that help every now and again. But yeah, leaving a helpful message is the best way for everyone, that is, if somebody else already hasn't done it before you.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ineedaname
    @eroticfishcake: Indeed it is, but if you're stuck in a section, and you're having to say brute force yourself in the right direction, then you'd want health, and if it's your first time in a section then I suppose you'd not know what to do, most of the time you can just tell where something is, then the message confirms it, it's pretty easy to distinguish between random message and actual ones, and also, I'm want to say some messages are random anyway because of something I read in the tutorial maybe saying "be wary of messages", but that may have been referring to the random ones people leave.
    aliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By aliss
    @joest01: yeah they are pretty annoying

on an (un?!)related note, has anyone got the "Your message has been recommended" screen while you're actually playing? it only happens to me when i start a new session....don't get me wrong it's a moral boost for sure, but it would be nice to get while playing lol
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Ineedaname: Being a brutal game that it is, especially for newcomers I suppose you do need all the help you can get. I guess that the best you can do is to plop that message down and hope for the kindness of others. I don't see anything wrong in that although it wouldn't be a tactic I would use since it feels a bit "off" to me if I did. Still, what other people do is of no business to me in the end I guess.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By Yummylee

I tend to ignore them, specially since they usually have like a rating of 100+ so whoever needed the health has got himself plenty, those messages should dissapear after one recommendation really.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ineedaname
    @eroticfishcake: I'd have never done it myself, and probably agree with you, if it wasn't for that one vendor message I left getting rated and seeing the benefits first hand, so I can understand why they do it, personally though, I've never rated one. Even after all what I've said =D I just get why they do it.
    DeBurgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DeBurgo

I don't really have a problem with them, and I think it's kind of funny people are apparently getting upset by them. I'll rate them up occasionally, it depends on how I feel. Sometimes if their placement is cute or clever I'll rate them up. You saw them all the time in the asian version (albeit in the hilariously awkward translation of "This is harsh, evaluate me")

There are other things in this game that are a bit more broken.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By End_Boss
    @Ineedaname said:
    " Messages give you health when some one rates it, that's the incentive to leave them, the I'm in trouble ones is probably someone looking for a little health any means necessary, if people rated it, and he got health maybe he'd do someone else, then we'd have a cycle of people using the system for why it was designed besides just helping. "
    Beat me to it. The "I'm in trouble messages" basically serve as begging stoops for health points.
    squirtle_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By squirtle_squad
    @HomemadeZiggurat:
    what exactly is the level cap?
    Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Expletive

Oh god, it took me a while to realize that you were talking about Demon's Souls.  
    I Had no clue what any of you were talking about. lolz

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EvilTwin

I haven't used them myself, but I usually try to rate them at least once just to be nice.  If I start to see a ton of them in quick succession I do tend to get a bit annoyed, though.

aliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By aliss
    @EvilTwin said:
    " If I start to see a ton of them in quick succession I do tend to get a bit annoyed, though. "

Agreed if there are two in the same spot just SUCK IT UP AND DIE ALREADY

jk, that was too harsh :p
    HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HaniBall

max soul lvl is 712 I believe. 8 stats, each maxed out at 99 and a starting level of 80.

@expletive: Well, sorry if I wasn't more clear that this was about demon's souls but I did post it in the demon's souls forum...

On a positive note though, the blood stains entertain me as much as the I'm in trouble messages annoy me.

And, I LOVE "this is harsh, evaluate me". PURE poetry!!

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#29  Edited By strangeling
    @Ineedaname said:
    " Messages give you health when some one rates it, that's the incentive to leave them, the I'm in trouble ones is probably someone looking for a little health any means necessary, if people rated it, and he got health maybe he'd do someone else, then we'd have a cycle of people using the system for why it was designed besides just helping. "
    This sounds vaguely similar to the idea behind torrents. 'Nuff said.
    yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By yyZiggurat
    @squirtle_squad: I was told its a 10 level difference.  You won't be able to see soul signs if they're not withing 10 levels of your current soul level.  I've also read on the wiki that 150 was a good level because you would still be able to find co-op/pvp drops and you'd be at a high enough level to have high stats.  I know this by word of mouth, I could be wrong.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.