Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

What should From Software do next?

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Slippy

It seems this game has been an unexpected success for them. It's gone from a completely unknown game to one with critical acclaim, strong word of mouth and probably good sales by now. Do you think From and Sony should start working on a sequel now, or concentrate on new IPs such as the upcoming 3D Dot Game Heroes? Or even just *shudder* dissolve the talent behind Demon's Souls and settle back into their old roots making Tenchu and Armored Core games. What say you Giant Bomb?
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

Actually make even a half-decent Armored Core or Tenchu game.  -_-

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By pause422

Make a game that doesnt suck again in their life other than just Demon Soul. I still to this day cannot believe this game came from them, yes no one needs to inform me about the Kingsfield games or anything..but that was a long time ago, FromSoftware as of late has put out nothing but complete shit..the fact that they put out such a unique great game at all in the last few years is beyond me. Its like the Sonic Team coming up with something wonderful at this point.

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By C2C
    @jakob187 said:
    " Actually make even a half-decent Armored Core or Tenchu game.  -_- "
    This.
    Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I was incredibly surprised at how well this is doing. When I went to the first store, they were sold out. At the second store I bought the last copy. I haven't seen any hype for this game at all either. Honestly though, I don't care what they make next. I can only hope it's as good as Demon's Souls. 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel
    @jakob187 said:
    Actually, Tenchu is back in the hands of Acquire.  At least, Acquire made the most recent one on the Wii.

I'd love to see From Software make a Lost Kingdoms III, though.
    MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrGetBonus

Super Demon's Souls.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Red

A game that doesn't seem dated. 

HEY-O!

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By calidan777

A new Otogi game.

MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrGetBonus
    @calidan777 said:
    " A new Otogi game. "
    They did Otogi?! Yes, new Otogi please.
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By calidan777
    Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Lashe
    @jakob187 said:
    I'd be happy with just the latter.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Diamond

What From Software IS doing next is 3D Dot Game Heroes, the Zelda-clone which looks awesome.

I don't get the feeling they really work on more than one thing at a time, at least in public.  I may be wrong.  Anyways I want to see how 3D Dot Game Heroes turns out before I start thinking about what they'll do after that 

DasDamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DasDamen

Go bankrupt. I'm convinced that people are pretending to like this game. I was actually suckered into spending my hard earned cash on the Deluxe Edition only to find out that I can no longer stomach this game after 5 hours of gameplay.

I seriously can't see why this game is garnering such great reviews, across the board.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By trophyhunter
    @jakob187 said:
    yeah
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By trophyhunter

a better thing to ask is what should atlus take from them next

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @DasDamen said:
    " Go bankrupt. I'm convinced that people are pretending to like this game. I was actually suckered into spending my hard earned cash on the Deluxe Edition only to find out that I can no longer stomach this game after 5 hours of gameplay.   I seriously can't see why this game is garnering such great reviews, across the board. "
    What is so bad about it? The difficulty or is it repetitive?
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By trophyhunter
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " @DasDamen said:
    " Go bankrupt. I'm convinced that people are pretending to like this game. I was actually suckered into spending my hard earned cash on the Deluxe Edition only to find out that I can no longer stomach this game after 5 hours of gameplay.   I seriously can't see why this game is garnering such great reviews, across the board. "
    What is so bad about it? The difficulty or is it repetitive? "
    he must just be a FPS guy or a causal guy
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    " @DasDamen said:
    he must just be a FPS guy or a causal guy "
    Eh, I guess... I'll definitely be picking this game up though..Need a good RPG haven't found one since Oblivion, which was a couple years ago.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By trophyhunter
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    " @DasDamen said:
    he must just be a FPS guy or a causal guy "
    Eh, I guess... I'll definitely be picking this game up though..Need a good RPG haven't found one since Oblivion, which was a couple years ago. "
    do you have loot lust if so demon souls is for you, and its not cheap hard when you die its your fault not the game being an ass. its hardness is like ninja gaiden but harder and a rpg.
    DasDamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DasDamen
    @TheMustacheHero: Well I'm not an "FPS guy" nor would I consider myself a casual gamer (although, I'm also not a hardcore gamer). Everything about this game screams mediocrity from the graphics to the sound to the story. Even the enemies are nothing more than glorified zombies which seem to have been cloned en masse. 

Furthermore, the dieing system (presumably used to replace any Game Over screens which typically break immersion) actually destroys the immersion even more. Why should the enemies teleport back into place after you die? Is it not enough that I only have 1/2-3/4 of my life until I beat a boss? When I die a second time before touching my own blood stain to recover my souls and items, I feel as if I've wasted my entire play session and I have little motivation to continue. As far as I can tell, I'm not leveling up in any manner making the whole session seem even more pointless. 

Further to breaking the immersion, other players' blood stains and messages are littered all over the god damned place. The messages rarely help you (and when they do, you don't expect them to), and the dieing animations hardly give you any idea as to how they died since the object or enemy is not visible.

Oh yeah, the menus are terrible. I'm not sure what half the symbols actually mean, and it's incredibly difficult to tell whether a new weapon you picked up is better than the one you have equipped. It seems as if the developer is going against every gaming convention out there whether they're good or bad - for the sake of it (seriously, no pausing?!).

These are my opinions, and I don't intend to offend anyone; however, I think it's only right that I give a dissenting opinion on this game given the ridiculous hype this game has been given.   
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @DasDamen: I see. Thank you for your insightful post and clarification of your frustrations.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jakob187

Hey everyone, that's all cool... 

...but seriously, I need a new Armored Core game that doesn't suck like crazy.  Since Square Enix decided to change how Front Mission works (those muthafuckers!!!), I need a good mech game that doesn't involve me busting out this: 

And anyone who talks trash about Steel Battalion simply just sucks shit at the game!
     And anyone who talks trash about Steel Battalion simply just sucks shit at the game!
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By trophyhunter
    @DasDamen: so do you even know how to play the game, its not to be played as a hack and slash 
    I've been play since tuesday and I love the game I've only died twice.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By Diamond
    @DasDamen said:
    Even the enemies are nothing more than glorified zombies which seem to have been cloned en masse.
    There is a lot of variety in enemies as you progress.

@DasDamen said:
    When I die a second time before touching my own blood stain to recover my souls and items, I feel as if I've wasted my entire play session and I have little motivation to continue.
    This is where the game will kill of casuals.  The game is like a MMO before they made everything casual.  It's not a fraction as bad as permadeath though.

@DasDamen said:
    As far as I can tell, I'm not leveling up in any manner making the whole session seem even more pointless.
    You spend souls to level up, if you haven't even beaten the first area I don't think you can do it yet.

@DasDamen said:
    The messages rarely help you (and when they do, you don't expect them to)
    Look how many ratings a message has, you rate up good messages (or bad ones if you're a jerk).  This is how you can tell if a message is legit or not.  Low rated messages disappear quickly.

@DasDamen said:
    I'm not sure what half the symbols actually mean, and it's incredibly difficult to tell whether a new weapon you picked up is better than the one you have equipped.
    Gotta look in the manual I guess.

@DasDamen said:
    It seems as if the developer is going against every gaming convention out there whether they're good or bad - for the sake of it (seriously, no pausing?!).
    They've gone against the causal conventions modern games have for the most part.  Demon's Souls is definitely a game for old school or hardcore gamers who are tired of the simplicity and ease of modern games.  It's definitely not a game for gamers who haven't played many games.

@DasDamen said:
    These are my opinions, and I don't intend to offend anyone; however, I think it's only right that I give a dissenting opinion on this game given the ridiculous hype this game has been given.
    I'd say you might as well stick with it since you've bought the game, right?  The game definitely gets easier when you start knowing what you're doing and can level up.  It'll still be hard but when you're really not sure how to play the game it's really hard.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jeffsekai

A good Armored Core game.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ArchScabby

Close

xero273

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xero273

get back with banpresto and do A.C.E 4
    ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ShadowSkill11

What should From Software do next?

Hentai Souls
    ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ShadowSkill11
    @jakob187 said:
    " Hey everyone, that's all cool... 

...but seriously, I need a new Armored Core game that doesn't suck like crazy.  Since Square Enix decided to change how Front Mission works (those muthafuckers!!!), I need a good mech game that doesn't involve me busting out this: 

"
    Lol, I still have that controller in my closet somewhere. I never did get past the second 2nd gen mech mission. For those that don't know. If your mech gets blown up and you don't physically press the big red eject button in time the game "kills" your character and you need to start all over again from level one with nothing.
    yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By yyZiggurat
    @ShadowSkill11 said:
    " Lol, I still have that controller in my closet somewhere. I never did get past the second 2nd gen mech mission. For those that don't know. If your mech gets blown up and you don't physically press the big red eject button in time the game "kills" your character and you need to start all over again from level one with nothing. "
    Wow, what the fuck.  I guess the next worse thing would be having to buy another copy of the game when your character dies.
    Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Dan_CiTi
    @trophyhunter: lol, Ninja Gaiden isn't fair in its difficulty.
    Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ket87

As with everyone a good Armored Core. I used to love that series, I had almost every game in that ridiculously expansive series and AC4 was such a let down and For Answer I didn't even buy because of reviews and the disappointment with 4. That was such a in depth game and so competitive and 4 just killed it with little customization and terrible online play. And the absolute worst control scheme ever.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By Milkman

Make good games?

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By upwarDBound
    @calidan777 said:
    " A new Otogi game. "
    What this guy said. Otogi was one of the best games for the xbox. The second one was good, but not as good as the first imo.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Turambar
    @Milkman said:
    " Make good games? "
    Correction: Make more good games.
    Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Famov

If this game were on a system I owned, I would probably make the mistake of getting it knowing full well that I am not hardcore enough for a game like this.

I hate to echo the quicklook, but this game has a lot of great ideas.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MeierTheRed

Chromehounds 2 thank you very much.

shulinchung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By shulinchung

Otogi please! 
    A sequal or 1+2 remake, since Microsoft seems to forget to give this cult classic a much deserved backward compatibility on 360.

Avatar image for krossmojination
    krossmojination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By krossmojination
    @pornstorestiffi said:
    " Chromehounds 2 thank you very much. "
    I second.
    yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By yyZiggurat

Demon's Souls II.  They could fix some of the things that this game needed (a map in worlds 2, 3, and 5 would have saved me a lot of time, they could even integrate it into the game - you could find maps on corpses like you do with items maybe some of the maps are incomplete or wrong) but they'd probably have to make it more accessible and forgiving to appeal to more people.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PureRok

They should do another Tenchu game like Tenchu Z.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#43  Edited By CenturionCajun

If they make Demon's Souls more accepting or appealing to a wider audience then it loses some of what makes it so unique and good. I don't want the game to "sell out" as it were. At the moment Demon's Souls II seems like the most apparent choice since the game is getting such rave reviews and seemingly much better sales than they expected here in the US. What are their other options? Another Armored Core game?

Cadmus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#44  Edited By Cadmus

This game is a masterpiece.  From Software must have hired some new blood - good for them.  But as much as I love this game I hope Demon's Souls doesn't turn into a franchise.  Let From Software make something new and awesome; they're proved they have the talent.  This game proves it.
    DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By DukeTogo

Make an XBLA/PSN version of Frame Gride.

aliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By aliss
    @Diamond: 3D Dot hero FTW! can't wait to get this game after i get platinum trophy in Demon's Souls lol

the joke is that i could never get a platinum in DS; 3D Dot hero looks great i'm getting that for sure
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By flaminghobo

Make a good next-gen Tenchu game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.