Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

Why I killed Stockpile Thomas and how it made me a better person

Jerky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Jerky

Ever since I met him, I knew there was something wrong with him.  His off-kilter speech, his pile of crap, his complete lack of interest in anything besides me..  Stockpile Thomas just rubbed me the wrong way.  Whenever anyone just wants to "hold onto your things" without any sort of payment in return, I become suspicious.  Especially if that person is a demon in disguise.  

When we first meet Stockpile Thomas, he regales us with his origin story - he was fleeing from the Scourge and the fog, when he blacked out...  and came to in the Nexus.  He doesn't remember anything besides leaving his wife and daughter behind to run, in his own words, "like a madman."  We're often reminded that the demons of the fog steal your soul, which then drives you into madness - which Stockpile Thomas freely admits.  This soulless madness is the first step to becoming a demon.  He is also quite callous if you deny him his daughter's jade hairpiece, laughing oddly and saying that he's over it anyway.  Furthermore, this jade hairpiece is not even found on a little girl!  It is found on a lynched demon (lynched probably for abandoning its post, much as Thomas did), next to a cross-dressing male demon with witch's clothes on.  He also claims that The Maiden in Black nursed him back to health, which seems altruistic until it is made apparent that she only helps other demons, or those corrupted by demon's souls.

Perhaps the most damning evidence against Thomas comes from Yurt, the assassin.  He is sent to kill those Mephistopheles wishes dead, and after he slays a number of people in the Nexus, he says "I have murdered every human left, except for one..." and then attacks you.  Yurt does not go after The Maiden (who is obviously a demon) or Boldwin (who, by conjecture, is also a demon due to his ability to consume souls - when he says "with your souls, I can eke out a living").  Yurt also does not go after Stockpile Thomas, even after he tells us he's killed every human.  

After I discovered this, I confronted Thomas, who told me he was worried, and that I had a heart of gold.  I struck with my Magic Sword Makoto...  and it turns out Thomas has over 2000 hit points, and a limitless supply of grass to heal himself with (I'm pretty sure he was dipping into my stocks).  After a trying battle, he fell..  and relinquished 250 souls. 

Where would I keep my unused crap, you may ask?  Thomas can take the 15 slave shields, useless darkmoonlight stones, and extra suits of armor I never wear to the grave.  I'm a demon hunter, I don't need a bank - and I definitely don't need an evil demon to watch my stuff for me.  One more demon down on my quest to put the Old One back to sleep.

Jerky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Jerky

Ever since I met him, I knew there was something wrong with him.  His off-kilter speech, his pile of crap, his complete lack of interest in anything besides me..  Stockpile Thomas just rubbed me the wrong way.  Whenever anyone just wants to "hold onto your things" without any sort of payment in return, I become suspicious.  Especially if that person is a demon in disguise.  

When we first meet Stockpile Thomas, he regales us with his origin story - he was fleeing from the Scourge and the fog, when he blacked out...  and came to in the Nexus.  He doesn't remember anything besides leaving his wife and daughter behind to run, in his own words, "like a madman."  We're often reminded that the demons of the fog steal your soul, which then drives you into madness - which Stockpile Thomas freely admits.  This soulless madness is the first step to becoming a demon.  He is also quite callous if you deny him his daughter's jade hairpiece, laughing oddly and saying that he's over it anyway.  Furthermore, this jade hairpiece is not even found on a little girl!  It is found on a lynched demon (lynched probably for abandoning its post, much as Thomas did), next to a cross-dressing male demon with witch's clothes on.  He also claims that The Maiden in Black nursed him back to health, which seems altruistic until it is made apparent that she only helps other demons, or those corrupted by demon's souls.

Perhaps the most damning evidence against Thomas comes from Yurt, the assassin.  He is sent to kill those Mephistopheles wishes dead, and after he slays a number of people in the Nexus, he says "I have murdered every human left, except for one..." and then attacks you.  Yurt does not go after The Maiden (who is obviously a demon) or Boldwin (who, by conjecture, is also a demon due to his ability to consume souls - when he says "with your souls, I can eke out a living").  Yurt also does not go after Stockpile Thomas, even after he tells us he's killed every human.  

After I discovered this, I confronted Thomas, who told me he was worried, and that I had a heart of gold.  I struck with my Magic Sword Makoto...  and it turns out Thomas has over 2000 hit points, and a limitless supply of grass to heal himself with (I'm pretty sure he was dipping into my stocks).  After a trying battle, he fell..  and relinquished 250 souls. 

Where would I keep my unused crap, you may ask?  Thomas can take the 15 slave shields, useless darkmoonlight stones, and extra suits of armor I never wear to the grave.  I'm a demon hunter, I don't need a bank - and I definitely don't need an evil demon to watch my stuff for me.  One more demon down on my quest to put the Old One back to sleep.

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By simian

Hrm I should try playing this again. I didn't even make it out of the first world before I got slammed with other more pressing releases.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

Heh.  He had it coming.  BTW, I accidentally put plague on Thomas.   After reloading the game, he was fine. :]

Jerky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jerky
    @teh_pwnzorer:  on my first playthrough, when you attack those chains in 1-1 and make the bodies fall, my wife (who was watching me play) thought I dropped something ON his daughter and killed her...  So whenever he'd tell me I had a heart of gold, my wife would yell at me and call me a murderer, and wonder why I didn't tell him what really happened.
    Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Let the world be mended.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ToxicFruit

Interesting, I never liked him but I had so much stuff and I am quiet the hoarder so I needed him. 
    I never heard yurt say that sentence because I killed him as soon as I found him in the nexus for his armor 

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By SonicFire

haha...well, if you've done multiple plays, you'll have lots of stuff you want to keep for emergencies. I've got setups for different objectives- like if I plan on dueling, if I want speed, or if I need a particular item effect. 

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

You ever think the game just leaves you with him and boldwin after the Assassination side quest so you can still play and obtain items/upgrade?

Jerky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jerky
    @xaLieNxGrEyx:   I'm wondering if the developers used it as an out so you could continue to store stuff, or I might just be seeing things that aren't there...  But I feel better about stabbing that guy repeatedly anyway, and nobody can take that away from me!
    xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @Jerky:
    All the power to you you then =)
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Karkarov

You do realize that by your own logic you have to commit suicide?  Remember, the Maiden in Black only helps other Demons.......

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

Nice read. Man that was a good game :D

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Karkarov said:

" You do realize that by your own logic you have to commit suicide?  Remember, the Maiden in Black only helps other Demons....... "

I had committed suicide dozens of times (to shift world tendency to black) on my path to the platinum trophy.
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Karkarov
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    "I had committed suicide dozens of times (to shift world tendency to black) on my path to the platinum trophy. "
    For some reason I don't find it surprising Agent York is your avatar pic....  Of course I suicided plenty of times too... but I didn't inhale and that makes all the difference.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Karkarov said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer said:
    "I had committed suicide dozens of times (to shift world tendency to black) on my path to the platinum trophy. "
    For some reason I don't find it surprising Agent York is your avatar pic....  Of course I suicided plenty of times too... but I didn't inhale and that makes all the difference. "
    Jerky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jerky
    @Karkarov:  True - and I have suicided many times, also to drive my world tendency down. 
    JellyFish_Gsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By JellyFish_Gsus
    @Jerky:  I also committed suicide many times. I am now stuck on False King Allant in world 1-4. The bastard is hard.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Jerky: Awesome read. Post more.
    Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Carlos1408

Coolness!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.