Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

Why would I...ever want to use heavy armor?

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By ventilaator

I've gotten most of the way through the game while wearing some leather armor I got in basically the beginning of the game. The red-eyed skeletons hit for about a third of my health.

I got some better stuff, but it was too heavy, which meant dodging was impaired. But I need to dodge, that's what I do to not die :( 
    Maybe the defense bonus makes up for it? Nope, the red-eyed skeletons still hit me for about a third of my health.

Then I fought the Old King miniboss in 1-1, and got a full new armorset from him that was even better.
    I moved even slower, but the red-eyed skeletons still hit me for about a third of my health.

Then Biorr died at the dragon in 1-4 and I got his armor.
    My movement slowed down to a crawl, I couldn't run and dodging was completely out of the question.
    The red-eyed skeletons STILLLLLL hit me for about a third of my health.

Solike...why's that even there? I figured there's a specific stat maybe tied to your ability to handle heavy armor, but I'm stii unable to wear a goddamn steel helmet without automatically being unable to dodge.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

There's a ring you can receive that'll give you great agility even while wearing the heaviest of armours. In general, though, the heavy armour just looks cool. The main reason why I wore it with my Priest.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#3  Edited By vager

One of the stats determines how your move in heavy armor. 
    Raise that stat any you'll be able to move in it like any other piece of armor.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @Ventilaator:  The effectiveness of heavy armour is directly tied to your stats - endurance I think. If you stay below a certain percentage of your carry weight you can still dodge, or run. If you don't have the right stats/class then it is useless to you. As for heavy armour, it provides defensive bonuses against certain kinds of attacks that do make a difference. However, there are some instances (like when you need to run really fast) that it's better to strip off all armour.
    Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lemoncookie01
    Ring of Herculean Strength +  Eternal Warrior's Ring = fast rolling and stamina regen with any armor.
    Also if you want great defense,you should really be using the warding spell. 
    ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ventilaator
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " @Ventilaator:  If you stay below a certain percentage of your carry weight you can still dodge, or run.  "
    I specifically tried this by giving everything I was carrying to mr Thomas and trying to equip the tower shield.

Dodging still sucked.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael
    @Ventilaator said:
    " @owl_of_minerva said:
    " @Ventilaator:  If you stay below a certain percentage of your carry weight you can still dodge, or run.  "
    I specifically tried this by giving everything I was carrying to mr Thomas and trying to equip the tower shield.  Dodging still sucked. "
    Well, the tower shield is the second heaviest (I think) piece of equipment in the game. You'll need crazy endurance if you want to run around with that -- unless you've been focusing specifically on endurance (and perhaps one other stat) since the beginning, it won't be of any use to you on your first playthrough.
    Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Raymayne

It's all to do with stats and how you build your character. If you put a ton of points into magic and speed based skills then the heavy armour will do nothing for you. However if your build your character's strength and endurance up then he can wield the biggest weapons and move around easily in the heaviest armours. It's common sense really :|

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gargantuan

The tower shield is very bad. Sure it got great damage reduction, 100% normal/ 60% magic/ 90% fire and awesome guard break reduction but it's so heavy. It's better to use a Purple Flame Shield. It only has 30% magic damage reduction and the guard break reduction is a bit lower but it's much lighter. It only weighs 8 instead of the tower shields 30! The purple flame shield is also much easier to upgrade since it doesn't require colourless demon's souls. If you're fighting a lot of magic users then you should use the Dark silver shield since it has good stats and 100% magic damage reduction.

Edit: A fully upgraded Purple flame shield has 82 guard break reduction vs the fully upgraded tower shields 85.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ventilaator
    @Raymayne said:
    " It's all to do with stats and how you build your character. If you put a ton of points into magic and speed based skills then the heavy armour will do nothing for you. However if your build your character's strength and endurance up then he can wield the biggest weapons and move around easily in the heaviest armours. It's common sense really :| "
    I figured as much, and have been increasing my strength and endurance, but still, whenever I try to equip anything that is not the current leather armor set I have, it automatically makes the dodging super slow
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Icemael
    @Ventilaator said:
    " @Raymayne said:
    " It's all to do with stats and how you build your character. If you put a ton of points into magic and speed based skills then the heavy armour will do nothing for you. However if your build your character's strength and endurance up then he can wield the biggest weapons and move around easily in the heaviest armours. It's common sense really :| "
    I figured as much, and have been increasing my strength and endurance, but still, whenever I try to equip anything that is not the current leather armor set I have, it automatically makes the dodging super slow "
    You can always check the stat screen to see your maximum equipment burden, and how much what you're currently rolling with weighs.
    Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gargantuan
    @Ventilaator said:
    " @Raymayne said:
    I figured as much, and have been increasing my strength and endurance, but still, whenever I try to equip anything that is not the current leather armor set I have, it automatically makes the dodging super slow "
    I recommend that you get 40 endurance since that maxes out your stamina and allows you to have pretty heavy stuff and still be able to dodge quickly.
    ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ventilaator
    @Icemael said:
    " @Ventilaator said:
    " @Raymayne said:
    You can always check the stat screen to see your maximum equipment burden, and how much what you're currently rolling with weighs. "
    Okay, thanks.
    Is the number the specific number I should keep my stuff below if I want to dodge quickly?

Side question, what's with "Lever" being written on dead horses?
    Both in 1-1 and 1-2 there's a dead horse and some other player has always left a mesage that says "Lever" on it, but I can't see any levers no matter how hard I look.
    Also a stone at the start of 4-1 right behind your starting position often has "Lever" on it. There's nothing there though, just rocks.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Icemael
    @Ventilaator said:
    " Is the number the specific number I should keep my stuff below if I want to dodge quickly? "
    You need to keep it under 50% of your maximum equipment burden. 

By the way, if you've got a Ring of Great Strength (I think Biorr drops one, so you should), that raises the maximum burden by 50%. It's pretty handy.
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Karkarov

Biorr doesn't drop the ring you find it in the 1-1 dragon area.  Purple flame shield is crap, the brushwood shield has superior fire cut and matches it in all other aspects for only a minor stat/weight gain while the steel shield matches it 100% except you lose fire cut but weighs less and takes less str to use.  None of them can parry though so eh.  There are reasons for using heavy armor though, for example, the high fire resistance of the brushwood set helps alot against this one flamelurker guy...

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Karkarov said:
    " Biorr doesn't drop the ring you find it in the 1-1 dragon area.  Purple flame shield is crap, the brushwood shield has superior fire cut and matches it in all other aspects for only a minor stat/weight gain while the steel shield matches it 100% except you lose fire cut but weighs less and takes less str to use.  None of them can parry though so eh.  There are reasons for using heavy armor though, for example, the high fire resistance of the brushwood set helps alot against this one flamelurker guy... "
    Hell yes. Steel shield is where it's at. 

@Ventilaator: You know, man... Maybe you should just stop complaining and figure these games out on your own. ...Like we all did.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
    @Vager said:
    "One of the stats determines how your move in heavy armor. Raise that stat any you'll be able to move in it like any other piece of armor. "

Pretty much this. 
    Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gargantuan
    @Karkarov said:
    " Biorr doesn't drop the ring you find it in the 1-1 dragon area.  Purple flame shield is crap, the brushwood shield has superior fire cut and matches it in all other aspects for only a minor stat/weight gain while the steel shield matches it 100% except you lose fire cut but weighs less and takes less str to use.  None of them can parry though so eh.  There are reasons for using heavy armor though, for example, the high fire resistance of the brushwood set helps alot against this one flamelurker guy... "
    Brushwood shield requires colorless demon's souls for upgrades and the Purple flame shield has higher guard break reduction when it's fully upgraded and it only needs hardstones. The purple flame shield is much better IMO.
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Karkarov
    @Gargantuan said:
    " Brushwood shield requires colorless demon's souls for upgrades and the Purple flame shield has higher guard break reduction when it's fully upgraded and it only needs hardstones. The purple flame shield is much better IMO. "
    True true but uh read what I said carefully eh?  Brushwood is better for fire, even at plus 0 versus purple +10 this is still true.  Steel shield still matches purple pound for pound on everything except fire cut, still takes less stats, still weighs less, and needs fewer of those hardstones.  There is no reason to ever use a purple flame shield it is that simple.  It is easily the most over rated over used shield in the game. 

Truthfully the best over all shield in the game if you ask me is a Knight Shield +10 it almost matches the hit res of the steel shield and unlike the large shields it can actually parry.  Sure Dark Silver has the magic deal with it but it also lowers your magic damage if you care about that and frankly once you actually have talent in the game all spells are fairly easy to dodge anyway.   Don't forget the number one rule of success to Demon's Souls "it is infinitely better to just plain not get hit than get hit but take no damage".
    Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#20  Edited By Timing
    @Karkarov: A couple of things.
    1. Biorr does drop the Ring of Great Strength, see here.
    2. The Purple Flame Shield does not take more stones to upgrade than the Steel Shield.

I would also argue that, when trying to stay under an equipment quota of 50%, a weight of 13 of the Large Brushwood Shield is not a just a minor increase over the 8 of the Purple Flame Shield, especially considering the fire damage reduction is only 10% more, the fully upgraded guard break reduction is actually lower than that of the PFS, and fully upgrading it (legitimately) takes significantly more effort.

I'll agree that the Knight's Shield is great though.
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Karkarov
    @Timing: 
    Let me break it down as easy as possible.

Brushwood is only used for fire cut as in at certain theme moments where mitigating fire is more important than anything else.  Like say walking across lava.... So the weight etc doesn't matter, nor does it even need the full upgrade.  You should hardly ever be using it...

Steel shield outside of fire res matches purple, the end.  Considering it is easier to get and has less usage requirements and weighs less it is sort of a no brainer on which you should use.

Point:  If you need fire cut you use brushwood, for the other times when all you want is top hit res you use steel.  It isn't really that complicated.  There is never a time you really need both aside from MAYBE flamelurker if you go the tank route and guess what?  If you do that you will likely wear full brushwood anyway which means you probably won't be moving fast regardless so you still go with the brushwood shield.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.