Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

Worth getting a PS3 for?

JackOhara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JackOhara

I'm a PC/360 guy, and I fucking LOVE Dark Souls. If I added up the play time on all of my characters it would be around if not well over 400 hours. I've watched a bunch of footage of this game and it seems pretty sweet, but definitely different than Dark Souls in some key ways. I kind of want to play some older PS2 titles as well (PS3 has some backwards compatibility, right?), so I'm wondering, would you buy a PS3 to play this game?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Sackmanjones

I am also a huuuuuuuge fan of Dark Souls, one of the best games this generation. However, Demon's Souls never really clicked with me, I find it quite different in a ton of ways (combat is pretty similar though). For what its worth I did enjoy what I played of it but overall I think Dark Souls is much better by leaps and bounds.  

So to answer your question, I don't think its worth it for one game. But if you wanted to expand to like the God of War series, Uncharted Series, and some upcoming exclusives I'd say go for it.

RustySanderke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RustySanderke

@JackOhara said:

PS3 has some backwards compatibility, right?

That stopped three years ago, unless you count random PS2 games on PSN.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Miketakon

PS3's BC is limited to PS1 games downloadble PS2 games and HD collections. I'd wait for the Holidays to get one cheap.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mwng

@Sackmanjones said:

I am also a huuuuuuuge fan of Dark Souls, one of the best games this generation. However, Demon's Souls never really clicked with me, I find it quite different in a ton of ways (combat is pretty similar though). For what its worth I did enjoy what I played of it but overall I think Dark Souls is much better by leaps and bounds.

This is very much how I felt, though I'm not committal enough to say "huuuuuuuge" fan, just "fan" here.

Also, only the original fat PS3s retain backwards compatibility with PS2 games. Though you can download a select few PS2 titles from the PSN store for the new models.

Plus if you do decide to buy one, I don't care what you're into, buy Valkyria Chronicles.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Phatmac

PS3 has a huge list of great exclusive so I say go for it.

Binarynova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Binarynova

Just to throw an alternate viewpoint in here, I actually much prefer Demon's Souls. I don't think it's a matter of which game is better though (at least once Dark Souls got a patch or two). With these games it's all preference. I just liked Demon's Souls's setup more (Mega Man style levels instead of Metroid style). I like glowy Soul Form more than the nasty Undead Form. And the server architecture works much better for me than Dark Souls' peer-to-peer seems to.

Like I said, it's all preference. I don't know that I'd buy a PS3 just for Demon's Souls, but when I bought my PS3 I only had two games to play at first: LittleBigPlanet, and Demon's Souls. And I was hooked.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Spoonman671

If you literally only plan on playing one game, then no, do not buy a PS3 for this game.

And, since it has become a discussion in this thread, I feel I should mention that Demon's Souls is definitely better than Dark Souls.

NeVeRMoRe666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NeVeRMoRe666

I think they cut out community/internet support for Demon Souls, although I may be mistaken. That was a huge part of the game for me and I think that it's quite significant if it is gone. Other than that, I say go for it. The PS3 is sweet!

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Spoonman671
    @NeVeRMoRe666 said:

I think they cut out community/internet support for Demon Souls, although I may be mistaken. That was a huge part of the game for me and I think that it's quite significant if it is gone. Other than that, I say go for it. The PS3 is sweet!

They must have claimed to be shutting down the servers 5 or 6 times and then kept extending the dates.  I stopped paying attention after awhile, so I honestly don't know whether the servers are still running or not.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Seppli

It was when it came out. I caved and bought a PS3 specifically for Demon's Souls. Now there's Dark Souls. So getting a PS3 for Demon's Souls ain't quite the same. If you don't mind that it's essentially just more of the same, then sure - the game's great. It's just no longer as unique as it was back in the day.

btw. a PS3 is a neat thing to have. If you've not got a Blu Ray player, that'd already be reason enough to own one.

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By sodacat

The PS3 has a lot of varied exclusives that are all at least worth checking out. Demon's Souls is also a great game, but it's stronger on the first playthrough while Dark Souls is stronger on repeated playthroughs.

@Seppli said:

If you've not got a Blu Ray player, that'd already be reason enough to own one.

Also this.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By foggel

It's worth getting for the exclusives.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

if there's other things you're been interested in sure, but buying it just to play Demon Souls does not sound like a good idea at all.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jozzy

I think I am finally going to get one too if they do a price drop this holiday season. Aside from Demon's Souls I really want to take a crack at Tokyo Jungle.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

I never understood the PC/360 thing. It just seems the most limiting option.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By mordukai

@Sackmanjones said:

I am also a huuuuuuuge fan of Dark Souls, one of the best games this generation. However, Demon's Souls never really clicked with me, I find it quite different in a ton of ways (combat is pretty similar though). For what its worth I did enjoy what I played of it but overall I think Dark Souls is much better by leaps and bounds. So to answer your question, I don't think its worth it for one game. But if you wanted to expand to like the God of War series, Uncharted Series, and some upcoming exclusives I'd say go for it.

I am the exact opposite of you. Huge Demon's Souls fan and Dark Souls never really clicked with me. Mainly due to the lesser online capabilities of Dark Souls.

JackOhara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JackOhara

Thanks for the feedback, all. I'll have to think about it some more. I've played several of the most popular exclusives (Uncharted, LBP, etc.) and I'm not really interested in those, so justifying the purchase becomes even more difficult.

@RustySanderke said:

@JackOhara said:

PS3 has some backwards compatibility, right?

That stopped three years ago, unless you count random PS2 games on PSN.

Shitty, I'd really like to play some Timesplitters 2

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By huntad

@Spoonman671 said:

If you literally only plan on playing one game, then no, do not buy a PS3 for this game. And, since it has become a discussion in this thread, I feel I should mention that Demon's Souls is definitely better than Dark Souls.

I agree with both statements.

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Aquablak

Well, if you take to Demon's Souls like you did Dark Souls, I would argue that it could be worth it for one game. 400 hours of high quality entertainment, by purchasing a "Demon's Souls Machine?" *shrug* There are worse ways to spend your money.

I played a few hours of Demon's Souls and I liked it, although I enjoyed Dark Souls (which I finished) more. I do think that with the Dark Souls experience under my belt I would appreciate Demon's Souls a whole lot more, though. I could even see myself getting a PS3 to play through it one day.

Caliginous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Caliginous

I'd say it's probably worth it if you wait for a really solid holiday bundle. I used to use my 360 for everything and moved over to PS3 mainly because no one I play online games with uses a 360 and have moved to steam. There's pretty much zero exclusives for xbox 360, with the exceptions being a few notable XBLA titles, Gears of War 3, Forza and anything Halo. I'll admit that I readily dusted off my 360 to play all those games when they arrived, but honestly my 360 will barely get used until Halo 4 arrives.

PS3 also had some really entertaining stuff built up for me since I bought it fairly late into this generation. If you're not particularly interested in Uncharted but still like 3rd person action stuff, then try Infamous which is a lot of fun. Demon's Souls is obviously a huge game for me personally and I played through it right before Dark Souls came out and then went back for more afterwords. In addition I enjoyed Journey, buying the thatgamecompany collection is definitely something I'd do if I was new to PS3, Gran Turismo 5 was really fun for awhile (still Forza > GT5 though), bought some cool PS2 HD collections as well for cheap, having ICO, SOTC and the MGS collections are awesome, Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction is also a very good game, MGS4 if you've never played it as well and I just got Tokyo Jungle.

If you can get a deal on at least 1 game bundled with the system that you'd be interested in then I'd pull the trigger at $200-250 dollars. Playing through Demon's Souls while the servers are still active is honestly worth the price of admission alone, I hope that FROM learns from the horrible online connectivity Dark Souls has and at least attempts a fix for future titles. Overall if you have cash to burn on Black Friday I'd definitely lean towards a yes.

KingX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By KingX

If you enjoyed dark souls then yes this is worth buying a ps3 for. Its an amasing game just as dark souls.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By Humanity

@JackOhara: It's mever worth it to get an entire system for just one game, even though I know you're thinking you'll play some older titles but that usually doesn't REALLY happen. If you can think of like 5 games you really would love to play on a PS3 then I'd say yah. Demons Souls is great and in my opinion superior to Dark Souls in several ways, but to get an entire PS3 just for it? I dunno about that.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#24  Edited By Timing

It's what I did.

I regret nothing.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Dark Souls is much better than Demon's Souls, and playing Dark Souls first will only make this more obvious. But it's still worth playing, just be ready to cringe your way through some of the zones and just remind yourself that there's a couple of great bosses you'll eventually run into after going through a bunch of crap. Worth playing just for Flamelurker.

Edit: Uncharted 2 is the best game of the generation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.