I *hate* the protagonist and a few other things

#1 Edited by Brenderous (1079 posts) -

I bought it off Steam after watching the trailer and thinking it looked pretty ok. Rufus is one of the most unlikable protagonists I've played in a long time. Every stupid quip he says is wrapped in a really obnoxiously annoying voice, in a way that I imagine the creators thought would be endearing. It's not. I sympathise with all the other characters when they talk shit about him. He's a piece of shit. Hopefully this is what the creators were going for.

The puzzles I've run into so far are very convoluted, even for an adventure game. I ended up just going around picking up everything and trying to combine it everything else because the game's "funny" answer is so obtuse (again, very obtuse even for an adventure game).

Use a wasabi pea and a mousetrap to catch your toothbrush which has come to life (??) even though he goes on and on about how his socks smell like cheese? What did I just type?!

Whoever made the music decided to throw in some "wicky-wick" record scratch noises into the cutscenes like it's some "edgy" early 2000's cartoon the aired after midnight.

This is all nit-picky stuff, I guess. Am I crazy? I'm also only about 2 hours in, so maybe Rufus' character develops and he becomes less of a piece of shit.

If you're thinking of playing this, I would recommend playing Gemini Rue, Resonance, and anything else from Wadjet Eye instead.

EDIT:

In the game's defense, Rufus is really the only piece of shit character. Some of the other characters seem interesting, and I'd rather play through the game as them. The puzzles aren't bad enough to make me stop playing the game, which I guess means the story is good enough that I want to see what happens next.

But Rufus is seriously the worst.

#2 Posted by Deusoma (2972 posts) -

Weirdly enough, you've just about convinced me that I want to check out this game now. I must know if his douchebaggery truly reigns supreme.

#3 Posted by SuperWristBands (2265 posts) -

Weird. Rufus is a douche but I actually do find him kind of endearing. This is also the first adventure game I played so I can't say too much about the puzzles but I don't have a problem with them.

The game looks soo good though which is why I am interested in it. That and I wanna see what Rufus is gonna do. Dude seems like he could be an okay douche.

#4 Posted by Brenderous (1079 posts) -

Admittedly, I was raging a bit before, but I stand by what I said. You should totally check it out if it looks interesting though. I'm probably going to keep playing it.

#5 Edited by Roland_D11 (168 posts) -

I played this a few months ago (it has been out in Germany for quite some time) and I disliked Rufus, too. But only in the beginning, he really started to grow on me the more I played of the game. So, if you are just starting, stick with him. I am waiting for the next game in the series, which is supposed to come out next month. Deponia is going to be a trilogy (what explains the ending).

#6 Posted by ryoken81 (11 posts) -

Indeed, Rufus is highly dislikable and rather antagonistic as a protagonist as the the game begins, but once the story starts rolling, you start to warm up to him and understand the reasons for his personality and attitude; furthermore, the game's obviously built on the plot forcing Rufus to change and become a better person, so while he might start as a bad person, he isnt a bad protagonist in the slightlest. However, dislikable as he is at the start of the game, Rufus is pretty much Guybrush Threptwood without the later's charming naiveness and optimism; while Guybrush is either oblivious or unfazed by the fact his world and most of its inhabitants dont take him seriously or mock him, he takes it in stride and just keeps pursuing his objectives regardless; Rufus is the same, except that he is fully aware of his situation, and ends up being cynical and hostile about it (this also makes it all the funnier when he ends up the victim of his own schemes and jerkness); however, by the end of the game, you see Rufus grow up quite a bit and start to change, which makes him all the more endearing.

(Also, im not going to spoil anything, but once more of Rufus's past is revealed in the game, i couldnt help but sympathise with the guy; honestly, i'd be a jerk too if those things happened to me...)

#7 Posted by AssInAss (2393 posts) -

@Brenderous said:

I bought it off Steam after watching the trailer and thinking it looked pretty ok. Rufus is one of the most unlikable protagonists I've played in a long time. Every stupid quip he says is wrapped in a really obnoxiously annoying voice, in a way that I imagine the creators thought would be endearing. It's not. I sympathise with all the other characters when they talk shit about him. He's a piece of shit. Hopefully this is what the creators were going for.

The puzzles I've run into so far are very convoluted, even for an adventure game. I ended up just going around picking up everything and trying to combine it everything else because the game's "funny" answer is so obtuse (again, very obtuse even for an adventure game).

Use a wasabi pea and a mousetrap to catch your toothbrush which has come to life (??) even though he goes on and on about how his socks smell like cheese? What did I just type?!

Whoever made the music decided to throw in some "wicky-wick" record scratch noises into the cutscenes like it's some "edgy" early 2000's cartoon the aired after midnight.

This is all nit-picky stuff, I guess. Am I crazy? I'm also only about 2 hours in, so maybe Rufus' character develops and he becomes less of a piece of shit.

If you're thinking of playing this, I would recommend playing Gemini Rue, Resonance, and anything else from Wadjet Eye instead.

EDIT:

In the game's defense, Rufus is really the only piece of shit character. Some of the other characters seem interesting, and I'd rather play through the game as them. The puzzles aren't bad enough to make me stop playing the game, which I guess means the story is good enough that I want to see what happens next.

But Rufus is seriously the worst.

This coming from a Zelda avatar?

WELL EXCUSE ME, BRENDEROUS!

#8 Posted by Brenderous (1079 posts) -

@AssInAss: Hah!

#9 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4477 posts) -

I had the same problem with Book Of Unwritten Tales. Got it based off the Quick Look and it was great... right up until Ivo took a larger role. Wilbur was great but as soon as they partied up and I had to listen to that horrendously boring elf cunt all the time, I had to tap out.

#10 Posted by Brenderous (1079 posts) -

Nope, can't do it. He's just too awful.

I'm gonna finish Space Marine instead.

#11 Edited by MeAuntieNora (358 posts) -

@Brenderous: Your spoiler immediately reminded me of the worst parts of Discworld. Playing that game felt like some sort of uncomfortable dream where everything works according to different rules of logic. "Adventure game puzzles" remain a breed of their own, but if Deponia is anything like Discworld I know exactly the feeling you're talking about. As a kid me and my friends rammed our heads against some of those puzzles for hours, and eventually we'd relent and use a guide we had printed out (lol) It reminded me of some of those King's Quest items that were literally a pixel against similarly colored backgrounds. Realizing we had missed items just laying around all over the place was bad enough. Even the direct and simple steps in the guide didn't help at times; there were animation cycles that wouldn't trigger (to catch a mouse or some shit) or characters that were supposed to be there to talk to etc... just a crazy mess. At times we had had the right idea but hadn't clicked just so, or our timing was off and the game made no effort to encourage you to try again or differently. The right way felt wrong a lot of the time and it only got crazier past where we were stuck. Looking back on it it's kinda vindicating to find that a lot of the "enthusiast press" label it one of the hardest in the genre.

At least Rincewind is likeable. Though if the world and characters weren't straight out of Pratchett's books, you'd think the developers had you play as a bumbling failure of a wizard to add insult to confused and bloated with whimsically comic, sometimes magical items. I don't know what I expected to happen when I tried combining rotten apples with stolen lady's bloomers, but I'm confident the actual solution makes LESS sense, and THAT item gets used in something painfully obscure half the world away.

I really liked those Wadjet games as well. I'm as happy and shocked as anyone else that the adventure game has had a resurgence, but one thing that could just kill it again is the nudging and winking at you, the player, about how "surprising it is that that worked!" or "I'm sure this discarded plastic bag will come in handy... don't ask me why, or how... I'm plucky, call it a hunch!." Look at how far The Walking Dead is from that, and it's depressing to think that there are still games in the genre that crib so much from the design docs of over 20 years ago...

#12 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

He really is an insufferable fuck at the start of the game.

Keyword start. I know, generally when somebody says "don't worry it gets better" in video games you can counter with "fuck you I'm not playing your 8 hour tutorial fuck you Ubisoft and everything you French-Canadian assholes stand for."

And you'd be right because, jesus christ Ubisoft.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.