Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Depression Quest

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Feb 14, 2013

Depression Quest is an interactive fiction, choose-your-own-adventure style visual novel, dealing with depression in a realistic way.

TKTK.

• 187 results
    pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 23

I played the game some time last month, strangely on a night where I had been feeling too down to do my homework, too down to eat, too down to talk to anyone. I was seriously considering not going to class the next day, which many years ago was the beginning of a line of events that eventually led to me dropping out of college the first time round, this being my second go at it. It was late and was sitting and thinking of all the things I should be doing but wasn't. That was how I spent most of the night, sitting in the dark, hating myself, occasionally checking the internet. I don't remember exactly how I found this game, probably a tweet by Patrick I'd guess, but I did. And I almost didn't play it.

But I did, and I felt better afterwards. I don't know why. At first I made horrible choices in the game, reflecting the horrible state I was in, but eventually I started making choices that were better, and by the end I got an ending that seemed about as upbeat as it gets for the game, I'd guess. And I felt better. After I finished I immediately did my homework. And I went to class.

Why post this? I don't know. Felt like sharing. Kinda hoping no one reads it, though. It's not interesting or insightful, but it's what happened.

TJUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@boozak said:

@milkman said:

@tjuk said:

OK that's it, I have to say it:

Fuck this kind namby-pamby indie game.

I'm sick of all the games in recent years that want to make me "feel" something. Just shut up. I'm 33 years old, I've been been playing video games my whole life and am certainly a million miles from being a "bro gamer". I'm looking for interesting game mechanics as much as the next gamer.

I swear it's crap like this that makes people crave a game that just gives them a gun and something to shoot at.

FUCK FEELINGS LET'S SHOOT SOME SHIT WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

In his defence there's been a lot of 'games' like this as of late, that and the general lack of innovation from games that i'd actually like to play is kind of frustrating, but it's not the indie dev's fault's it's AAA developers being hamstrung by greedy publishers. (The Last of Us looks kind of interesting though)

It's easy for someone with depression to get pissed at hearing someone else complain about their problems because yours (of course) will always be worse. That's why I like to stay as far away from this stuff as possible, I know it pisses me off and I advise anyone who saw the title of this article and sighed to do the same. (I dont lack empathy i'm just not a people person ;p)

Amen to that. Lesson learnt.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@ooame: I had the same feeling, too. It didn't really ruin the experience for me, but it did kind of make me wish there was a way to sort of pick the situation you're in. As a result of that though, I just took the experience to be seeing depression from a different perspective, and that could very well be part of the design; depression is a result of different things to different people.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#104  Edited By Milkman

@boozak said:

@milkman said:

@tjuk said:

OK that's it, I have to say it:

Fuck this kind namby-pamby indie game.

I'm sick of all the games in recent years that want to make me "feel" something. Just shut up. I'm 33 years old, I've been been playing video games my whole life and am certainly a million miles from being a "bro gamer". I'm looking for interesting game mechanics as much as the next gamer.

I swear it's crap like this that makes people crave a game that just gives them a gun and something to shoot at.

FUCK FEELINGS LET'S SHOOT SOME SHIT WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

In his defence there's been a lot of 'games' like this as of late, that and the general lack of innovation from games that i'd actually like to play is kind of frustrating, but it's not the indie dev's fault's it's AAA developers being hamstrung by greedy publishers. (The Last of Us looks kind of interesting though)

It's easy for someone with depression to get pissed at hearing someone else complain about their problems because yours (of course) will always be worse. That's why I like to stay as far away from this stuff as possible, I know it pisses me off and I advise anyone who saw the title of this article and sighed to do the same. (I dont lack empathy i'm just not a people person ;p)

I can't think of any possible reason why the very existence of this game would piss you off. But whatever, do what you want.

@dvorak said:

@xerxes8933a said:

I tried a bit, and from the choices given it seems that the writer might know someone who's depressed, or did some research. So that's a plus. But honestly, who in any mind wants to play games like this? A depressed person plays game for their escapism factor. This game, if it's close enough will only make them more depressed, and if it's too far away will just make them upset that now people are gonna think they feel this way. As for a non-depressed person, is this supposed to make them change the way they treat others with depression? If so, all that's gonna do is push those people further into depression, or cause them to lash out at the person in anger.

Depression sucks, and some of the choices listed in this game are spot on. But it doesn't matter if someone is depressed or not, you should treat them like any other. This game is just hurtful to the people it's trying to help.

This is it exactly. I couldn't have said it better.

You're wrong. Just look at the comments here (or hell, maybe even just look at the article). Plenty of people with depression are saying that the game was either helpful or a good look into what it was like to be depressed. It's not hurtful at all. A person without depression would play the game to get a better understanding of what depression is like. A person with depression would play the game to understand that they're not alone in their condition.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#105  Edited By Humanity

I think that media such as Cart Life or this title begin to fall beyond the category of "video game" at some point. Like Patrick wrote, it seems more reminiscent of an interactive novel rather than something you "play" in the sense that we as video game players understand the word. I don't mean to say that it's not worthy of discussion as obviously for some people with real emotional issues these mediums of expression have been helpful in one way or another. It's just that I can see how some people like @tjuk might get frustrated with articles concerning titles like this as they seem to fall beyond what the site should cover. Yes, technically it's a game but a lot of people come to sites like GiantBomb for more mainstream coverage - stuff like interviews with Ken Levine, exclusive gameplay reveals like Dark Souls 2 etc.. if GB is your only source for gaming news then it can seem a bit frustrating when you see another lengthy article about an indie barely-video-game title while the site stays eerily quiet during other big name reveals.

This is also largely due to the fact that Patrick is beginning to be one of the only staff members to take a really active role on the site while the rest of the guys seem to grow ever more passive with their involvement. As such his voice seems louder than others and Giantbomb appears to be skewed a bit more towards the indie side of things since no one else is really taking the time to write about things they're involved with.

Avatar image for deactivated-61abb009b221e
    deactivated-61abb009b221e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This game is like looking at a mirror. Fuck.

Dohers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I can believe that I have just read a comment in which the term "namby-pamby" is used unironically

Truckalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Hmm I thought I was just a cynical, misanthropic introvert, but it seems maybe not. Ah balls.

Glad I played it though.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's kind of stupid how any loser who is addicted to the internet throws around the term "I'm so depressed" when they really mean lethargic/apathetic

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I think that media such as Cart Life or this title begin to fall beyond the category of "video game" at some point. Like Patrick wrote, it seems more reminiscent of an interactive novel rather than something you "play" in the sense that we as video game players understand the word.

This one isn't a videogame at all, so it's not really a worry as to whether it fits into that category or not. It would be kind of bullshit to call foul for Patrick writing about an interactive fiction after people were so adamant that he cover 999 and VLR which are, as far as I'm aware, Visual Novels with puzzles.

Looking on the bright side, perhaps we'll get some coverage of Hate Plus: Mute's Golden Days on GB if it comes out on Steam. Seems like it would be a thing that Patrick could be made to do!

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

After finishing playing this, I want to thank @patrickklepek for this article (and Jennifer, the anonymous user) for this article and for bringing my attention to Depression Quest. This is something that is meaningful to me on several levels. I hope that people play this, so that maybe they can gleam even a touch of insight into what someone with depression goes through, but also for those out there that may suffer from depression (whatever the severity of it), but are unsure of if it is something that is affecting them or not - not as some way to self diagnose, but maybe as something to make them think about it more seriously. If this can help someone, even just one person, then I cannot express how thankful I am both that this was made, and that it has been given an article like this to get more eyes on it.

TDot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By TDot

Just played through it. Answered it the way I would have and have been answering similar issues in my life. The girl broke up with me, I got fired, and fell deeper into depression.

However, I wonder if this game acts as some sort of depression diagnoses when it does not have really the authority to do so.

I felt like it may as well just but writing about me at some point, change around a few points, get rid of the parents and the brother. Oh and lose the having a job part.

I... probably shouldn't get this personal on a videogame comments thread.

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By dvorak

Hmm I thought I was just a cynical, misanthropic introvert, but it seems maybe not. Ah balls.

Glad I played it though.

You may very well be just that. The fact that you even doubt that due to Depression Quest is kind of the problem.

wariomona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#115  Edited By wariomona

I can either drown out my sorrows with video games, or pay more attention to reality and feel crap all the time. It'll suck if video "games" like these start reminding me of the latter.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome writeup Scoops, keep up the great work.

crisping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By crisping
    @dvorak said:

Yeah I'm definitely trolling. That's it. It's definitely not irresponsible to recommend a piece of interactive fiction as a diagnostic tool to help you figure out whether or not you are depressed.

It's cool to say, 'this is a good thing' but you haven't referenced any professionals, you messed up! Any psychiatry professional will tell you that self-diagnosis is extremely dangerous and can lead to more people not seeking professional help because they think they can sort things out on their own. A dangerous emotional spiral that can lead to people closing themselves off entirely from outside help. It's the same reason why doctors never want their patients to browse the DSM, they'll think they have 30% of everything in the book.

Where are the interviews with her family, to verify and support the profile? Where are the professional opinions? If this is 'real journalism' you need all those things. Mental health is a dead serious issue that shouldn't be bandied about on a website for video game news without taking it as seriously as you would in a legitimate venue for something like this.

I came to say something like this but bam, there it is.

genpatton7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#118  Edited By genpatton7

@milkman said:

@dvorak said:

@xerxes8933a said:

I tried a bit, and from the choices given it seems that the writer might know someone who's depressed, or did some research. So that's a plus. But honestly, who in any mind wants to play games like this? A depressed person plays game for their escapism factor. This game, if it's close enough will only make them more depressed, and if it's too far away will just make them upset that now people are gonna think they feel this way. As for a non-depressed person, is this supposed to make them change the way they treat others with depression? If so, all that's gonna do is push those people further into depression, or cause them to lash out at the person in anger.

Depression sucks, and some of the choices listed in this game are spot on. But it doesn't matter if someone is depressed or not, you should treat them like any other. This game is just hurtful to the people it's trying to help.

This is it exactly. I couldn't have said it better.

You're wrong. Just look at the comments here (or hell, maybe even just look at the article). Plenty of people with depression are saying that the game was either helpful or a good look into what it was like to be depressed. It's not hurtful at all. A person without depression would play the game to get a better understanding of what depression is like. A person with depression would play the game to understand that they're not alone in their condition.

Yes, because appeal to popularity completely invalidates these statements.

As a psychology student, I echo the statements made by @dvorak: self-diagnosis is very dangerous. The recent trend of pop psychology has resulted in over-diagnosis of other disorders, such as ADHD. People going through the tumult of adolescence suddenly believe they have Major Depressive Disorder. The want to categorize behavior and personality traits has resulted in a narrower range of 'normal.'

If Jennifer really believes she suffers from a depressive disorder, she is doing herself a disservice by looking for empathy in a game/forum, rather than being properly diagnosed by a clinician.

Also, while I appreciate Patrick trying to tackle serious issues on this site, his off-the-cuff style does not lend itself to investigative reporting. If you are going to write about serious issues, respect the topic and do your homework. Seeing Patrick reference the CDC, rather than the APA, for a definition of depression was startling to me and solidified the amateurish nature of this article.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#119  Edited By Blackout62

I think I played the game wrong. By the end the protagonist was attending therapy, his girlfriend had moved in with him, he was only having a few bad days, and had a cat. That sounds like a pretty good life to me. What was this about the game not having a happy ending?

Hogshead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I eventually bailed out of the game due to boredom and irritation with my available choices, while someone suffering from depression doesn't have that option with their illness. I guess what I'm saying is this seems like an effective look at depression to me. If you're suffering, please ask for help!

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Chop

I thought the game was poorly written. Too many times the actual writing, not the concept or whatever, took me out of the experience.

Still, it's really cool that so many people are strongly affected by the game, good or bad.

BittenHand19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cart Life, and Depression Quest truly hit a nerve for me. When I first heard about Cart Life I thought, "Why would anyone want to play this game? You play as someone with not enough means to survive. I do that every day." Just now I thought I'd try Depression Quest and I can honestly say I stopped at the first page and closed the tab in my browser because it was my life I was reading.

I can't begin to describe how thankful I am that games like this exist. Thank you @patrickklepek for bringing it to GB's front page.

biozal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing article Patrick - well written.

artreus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By artreus

This game is like looking at a mirror. Fuck.

Same, I'm in a mostly healthy place right now and I had to quit playing like 3 pages in because it was getting to me.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#126  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Interesting article.

Also, this Depression Quest is good at showing how not-depressed I am compared to people who actually are depressed. That's good.

Avatar image for gtoresurrection
    GtoResurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great article Patrick, happy to see someone talk about that game in depth.

Andy_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have depression and Depression Quest made me happy. ...no, really. It was great to have a game I could show other people and say this! Me this! Me feel crap this way! Me want cat too can you buy me a cat pls

It did also make me sad, because it was almost my experiences to a tee, and that was both disheartening and a little uncomfortable. But overall, I'm just glad such a game exists.

And I'm also glad such an article exists. Thanks, Patrick, for taking the time to put this of all things under your spotlight. :)

ZeroV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#130  Edited By ZeroV2

I hated this game.

No, you can't CHOOSE to be social and happy! You MUST be depressed! Because it's like, a never ending cycle bro!

Yeah, no.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By envane

@sweep said:

Just played through Depression Quest and was actually kinda startled by how much of it I could relate to. I don't feel depressed, though? Am I depressed?! I don't think I am. I feel great! Right? Yeah! ....yeah.

I don't know what's real any more!

pretty sure youre just an alcoholic

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

By the end of it I ended up hating the guy. He had friends, family, and a girlfriend that loved him and kept going out of their way to try and help him. To have even one of those let alone all of them would be such an amazing help. I just couldn't relate or feel sorry for the guy given everything he had and was wasting.

If anyone wants to watch a really good movie about living with someone and trying to help them through Depression there is a movie called "My So Has Got Depression". It's japanese and I sadly couldn't find a trailer with subs, but it's easy enough to find the movie with subs online. This failing lady manga artist wakes up one day to find her husband has crippling depression and she has to try and support both of them financially and help him through his depression at the same time while trying to understand what depression is. It's got a fair share of funny bits that are always countered by it's sad parts as well. It's a great watch.

Loading Video...

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#133  Edited By cornbredx

There is no way to “win” playing Depression Quest. There are endings, the story comes to a conclusion, but at no point will you, the player, be granted the satisfaction of a happy resolution.

Actually, I saw Danney O'Dwyer of Gamespot play this on Random Encounter. If there is anything that you'd call a "happy ending" it's what he got. That kind of upset me actually, because life is not quite that simple.

It was an interesting game though. I like that it often gives you options you cannot choose (it lays them out but does not let you select them). That's so like life in general, at least for me.

Anyway, ya. Cool idea for a game. Would be interesting to see if someone could do something similar with visuals. I think it's possible.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's kind of stupid how any loser who is addicted to the internet throws around the term "I'm so depressed" when they really mean lethargic/apathetic

if you're generalizing most/everyone who is depressed as "simply" a lazy person that's pretty sickening.

lethargy is a clear symptom of depression. people idle away their time if they feel stuck somewhere in their lives, use it as a means of escape or deferring their troubles. from personal experience i would say a depressed person typically want more than anything to overcome their own lack of willingness to engage life.

but thanks for finally finding the solution to "depression!" you'll make millions happy i'm sure.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

Finished it a minute ago. Really spoke to me. Sent it to some people, they probably wouldn't even think of it as a game if I hadn't called it that.

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

As someone that comes from a family with a depression background; I can totally relate to these. Depression is an eternal struggle. There's no absolute cure just a temporary, either meds with a lot of side effects or hobbies/activities that would you put your mind into something else.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By mrpandaman

@dvorak said:

It's cool to say, 'this is a good thing' but you haven't referenced any professionals, you messed up! Any psychiatry professional will tell you that self-diagnosis is extremely dangerous and can lead to more people not seeking professional help because they think they can sort things out on their own. A dangerous emotional spiral that can lead to people closing themselves off entirely from outside help. It's the same reason why doctors never want their patients to browse the DSM, they'll think they have 30% of everything in the book.

Where are the interviews with her family, to verify and support the profile? Where are the professional opinions? If this is 'real journalism' you need all those things. Mental health is a dead serious issue that shouldn't be bandied about on a website for video game news without taking it as seriously as you would in a legitimate venue for something like this.

I don't believe it says anywhere in this article it recommends this game as a self-diagnosing tool for depression. All the article is saying, is that it can help those who don't know what depression may feel like understand it better. It's meant to elicit the feelings of being depressed, not diagnose. Then hopefully with being able to have a feel of what it is like, it will lead to understanding. Through understanding, people can empathize better and maybe recognize and try to help people who are going through depression. As Patrick said in the article, while the person was forthcoming, the person wanted to remain anonymous and therefore Patrick probably did not probe any further.

I do agree, however, that this game can lead to a lot of self-diagnosing which as you said can be very dangerous as they will not seek professional help.

Jnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are some parts of Depression Quest that were quite accurate for me like social anxiety, the constant overthinking of what somebody says, the fog that seems to pervade everything, always tired. I also keep my feelings to myself and constantly get frustrated at work. Yet some of the others things I have never experienced. I don't know what that says about myself. Over all I think Depression Quest does what it does very well. It at least got me talking more about my own feelings on a public forum.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zerov2 said:

I hated this game.

No, you can't CHOOSE to be social and happy! You MUST be depressed! Because it's like, a never ending cycle bro!

Yeah, no.

Welcome to the mind of a depression sufferer. Your own mind blocks those pleasant choices without you realising it.

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I am actually quite interested. I will 'play'.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@selbie said:

@zerov2 said:

I hated this game.

Yeah, no.

Welcome to the mind of a depression sufferer. Your own mind blocks those pleasant choices without you realising it.

I think it's safe to say that he didn't understand the point of it.

AlphaDormante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By AlphaDormante

I played this game a while ago when I learned about it through a friend. I, too, suffer from depression, and playing it was a painful yet somehow cathartic experience. They hit so many nails right on the head--from nearly-crippling anxiety being the very first emotion you wake up to, to despising the way people can't understand so much that you eventually just give up on social interaction entirely.

At one point I found myself plodding through screen after depressing screen despite the tears going down my face. The tears surprised me, in fact, because I'd otherwise settled effortlessly into the flat numbness of routine this game is excellent at portraying. I'm pretty sure I pulled a full-on Stoic Cry for the latter half of this thing. Weird.

Again, it was a difficult experience, but also a cathartic one. While depression isn't something I would ever wish on another person, it still helps to know that you're not alone in feeling this way. Establishing a sense of solidarity with other sufferers is surprisingly easy. And I'm very glad that non-sufferers have been able to play it and get a better understanding of depression. The fact that they even try is uplifting enough.

(Unrelated, but I think this is the first thing that's gotten me posting here in months. Now that's depressing.)

bgdiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

First off, great article Patrick; I'm glad the stance you took wasn't the "distant gamer" stance (as in "this is an interesting little game but I'm going back to Infinite now"). I think the interview with Jennifer (hopefully she gets well) was the real sticking point here.

I feel as though we in the gaming community often discard any game trying to help or explore real concepts as artsy trash. Granted, many people in the gaming community look to games as an escape, or at least as something with which to pass the time; I certainly wouldn't fill my free time with games as depressing (forgive the word choice) as this.

As someone who considers himself rather happy and content with his life, I was surprised at some of the symptoms my "character" experienced in the game. I had always figured that depression was something else, something that didn't really make sense, and so I had never thought about it further. Though it's not a medical device to diagnose depression by any stretch of the imagination, Depression Quest allows us to gain a glimpse into how someone struggling with depression might move through his or her life.

I implore everyone to at least give this game a shot, so, as the developers intended, we can collectively nullify the stigma surrounding mental health problems. The blue choices weren't what surprised me so much as the crossed-out choices--the healthy ones--that just weren't options. With more and more episodes of gun violence throughout the country, I wonder how many could be prevented if the perpetrator got help before committing his act. Instead of seeing people struggling with mental health issues as others, we should laud them for deciding to get help, as I'm sure (as the game illustrates) it is quite difficult to do.

Sorry about the rather long passage, but I'd hate for something as revealing as this game to fall by the wayside. It's not a perfect game, nor is it fun, and hell, it's not even a game, but it is a step in the right direction. Call me idealistic, but I don't think it's too much to hope for a world where mental health problems and thoughts of 19th century asylums aren't connected.

Avatar image for legendarychopchop
    LegendaryChopChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game should be advocacy for people to not feel threatened by anything and get psychiatric and psychological assistance. The help is there, just get it done.

The problems you feel, if depressed, are more or less a lack thereof or far too many chemicals in your brain to "properly" react. Please, people here with depression, do what you can and get some help because this "game" and experience write-up, nobody should be living like this and considering it "living".

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#145  Edited By MormonWarrior

Depression is such a hard disorder to live with. I've struggled with it pretty intensely for six plus years, and it's created some weird situations for me. On the one hand, you want empathy and understanding when you find it super hard to do things normal people wouldn't find difficult. But on the other hand, nobody is obligated to wait up for you and using it as an excuse or crutch will just make you left behind in career, school, etc. even if your complaints are valid. For me, medications have only helped briefly before the side effects (weight gain, delirium, and many others) became unbearable and the positive effects disappeared. So I just have to learn how to condition myself and live with my disorder while accomplishing good things. It's a tough burden to carry for sure. I'll need to check out this game and see what I think.

seamus85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#146  Edited By seamus85

wow that was thought provoking

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its ironic im about to head off for my fortnightly therapy session , ive been discussing similar topics of how people perceive and relate to depression , trying to find ways to communicate my problems without making them a problem etc ... this game seems like a step in the right direction and i appreciate the effort to bridge the gap .. but that said i probably wont be checking it out , mainly given the warning , as i am pretty susceptible to triggers or how i like to put it "reminders"

I played the game some time last month, strangely on a night where I had been feeling too down to do my homework, too down to eat, too down to talk to anyone. I was seriously considering not going to class the next day, which many years ago was the beginning of a line of events that eventually led to me dropping out of college the first time round, this being my second go at it. It was late and was sitting and thinking of all the things I should be doing but wasn't. That was how I spent most of the night, sitting in the dark, hating myself, occasionally checking the internet. I don't remember exactly how I found this game, probably a tweet by Patrick I'd guess, but I did. And I almost didn't play it.

But I did, and I felt better afterwards. I don't know why. At first I made horrible choices in the game, reflecting the horrible state I was in, but eventually I started making choices that were better, and by the end I got an ending that seemed about as upbeat as it gets for the game, I'd guess. And I felt better. After I finished I immediately did my homework. And I went to class.

Why post this? I don't know. Felt like sharing. Kinda hoping no one reads it, though. It's not interesting or insightful, but it's what happened.

actually now i think i might give it a go , mabye when im in a better state and more open to analysis .. i dunno .. thanks

machinerebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

This is a great write up, thanks Pat! I'm going to check out the game for sure.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Interesting thing, but I'm a little tired of this kind of crap as well. I suffer from depression, so maybe it's that talking, and this could potentially help people understand what people like me go through, but from my perspective this seems like pandering crap. I hope at the very least it was made by people who truly understand depression (ie people who suffered from depression for more than a couple weeks after a bad fucking breakup or whatever. That's not at all the same thing as chronic depression, which is mad bad.)

I guess I'm not a super touchy feely kind of guy for the most part. But for me to see this as anything but pandering and trying too hard to seem "intelectual" it needs to be like, a free thing some psychologist created as a tool in his practice, not something being sold with "some" of the proceeds going to research. It's a fucking text adventure. It's about as simple to program as you can get, and could have been written in the off time. If any real money was expended making the damn thing, then these people did it for all the wrong reasons.

I'm curious about the game, but I won't go anywhere near it any time soon. I already know what it's like to be depressed. I don't need to be reminded. lol. Hopefully it's as accurate as What's Her Face thinks, because I think more people could stand to understand this stuff better, but ultimately I think it's damn near impossible. Especially for significant others, because they tend to feel like they should be able to help, and when they can't "make you feel better" like they want to, they think that means something is wrong in the relationship or some stupid shit like that when it has nothing to do with them and can't really be helped in the ways they could "help."

Maybe I am just too sick and tired of hippies and hipsters to see crap like this as anything more. I'm an old grouch in a young body, I'll admit. Still. They should do the right thing, give all the proceeds to helping people, not some of them. They didn't write an 800 page novel or make some intricate game. They did something potentially good, but should focus it all on doing something good.

PS: Dear world, please find a medication free solution to being depressed. Shit sucks when you aren't comfortable taking pills for the problem. Or just give me a damn diploma. Just drop one off in the ol' mailbox and ship me off to MCRD already.

Avatar image for internetdetective
    InternetDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right now I am designing a game called Micropenis Quest, I just want to show people what it's like to live with this condition. Oh, I do not suffer from this it is for a friend. Seriously. You probably don't know him, he lives in Canada.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.