Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Desert Golfing

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Sep 03, 2014

A minimalist golf game designed for touch screen mobile platforms.

Free Hole Advice Clinic

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Quipido

After listening to this week's podcast I decided to start this topic to offer advice to anyone who has a trouble beating certain holes. I am currently at hole number 10008, I have encountered 4 different holes that seemed impossible but I managed to beat them all so far. I am posting a screenshot to prove I am not making it up.

10k done, moving on!
    10k done, moving on!

This one almost made me quit, but I didn't! Took me 3 weeks.
    This one almost made me quit, but I didn't! Took me 3 weeks.

Feel free to post here and I will try and help anyone who still plays this awesome game! Some solutions are pretty crazy. I was under an impression there is no randomness in the algorythm that generates the playing field, but anything is possible, so I am not sure I have seen everything there is (up to where I am obviously), but I will try and offer suggestions on anything you throw my way.

Also everyone else feel free to help each other of course!

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By iamjohn

I appreciate this thread so much. Seriously, what the hell am I supposed to do with this?

http://i.imgur.com/ka8iAKrh.jpg

(On my iPhone so I can't fix the link, sorry.)

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamjohn: I am not 100% sure, but if I remember correctly, there is actually a piece of ground outside the right side of the screen on that one - you can hit it even though you can't see it. I discovered that randomly at one point - you'll notice sometimes the ball bounces back from off-screen. If you ask me that is a design flaw, you should be always able to see what you need to use, but hey..it's the way it is.

No Caption Provided

I marked where to look for, give it a shot - If I am actually mistaken (it's hard to remember every hole...) and there is nothing to bounce off, I would try this approach:

No Caption Provided

In this way you would need to climb the hill and stop in the top part of it as marked with a cicle and then make a steep and long shot, hitting the small landing pad in a way that it bounces just enough to not drop all the way to the water. Make no mistake, sometimes you'll need to hit it exactly right, in this case the ball should stop at the very edge just before dropping off to the water, which might take dozens of tries even if it looks you can not do it any better. Hope this hepls, let me know how it turned up!!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the second Hole Advice Clinic I've been to today.

... The last one was very different.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ajamafalous

@shagge said:

This is the second Hole Advice Clinic I've been to today.

... The last one was very different.

I was at that first one, too. An eye-opening experience for sure. Who knew people were so passionate about three-hole punches?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous: Right!? That and Courtney Love's musical career.

Personally, I feel that all hole advice can be boiled down to the following: Never stick your stack of paper into a three-hole punch without being sure that you have enough leverage and strength to really get the job done. Especially in an office setting... improper hole procedure can waste a lot of time, and it's always professional to keep your eye on the clock.

Why yes, I *am* 5 years old, why do you ask?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Wait... Why is that screen shot blue and the other one green? The game is just one color.... What the fuck... What the fuck is this devil game!!!!!?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ajamafalous

@sackmanjones said:

Wait... Why is that screen shot blue and the other one green? The game is just one color.... What the fuck... What the fuck is this devil game!!!!!?

You haven't gotten far enough friend :)

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Which holes require more care, desert's or mario's?

Also i may finally try this.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

That's the best thread title I've seen in a while.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made into the 3000s and then quit. Never regretted it. I feel like this thread should be a front for grabbing people and giving them a Desert Golfing intervention.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

This is a hell of a thread and I give it a gigantic thumbs up. Not that that means much, but, seriously. Nicely done.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Okay, I've been stuck here for MONTHS. I practically gave up playing because it takes me 10-20 shots to get out of the starting area, then I end up in the water. Help earns you unending gratitude.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-629e67805815f
    deactivated-629e67805815f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like I'm on the right track here, but the precision to get the ball up that vertical wall, and to make it stay up there to shoot it across, seems impossible. Can this be done?

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By ShadowConqueror

This makes me never want to play this game ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Quipido
    No Caption Provided

@asmo917: Once you get out of the hellpit, try shooting the ball pretty much straight right below the breaking point on the hill, making the ball bounce up the hill and stop on it. From there you can either climb up so you can go over with as less force as possible or make a full power shot upwards and hit the hole directly.

No Caption Provided

@meathat: I think the trick here is togain as much of an angle at the start as possible, with two strokes you should be able to get in a position and try one of the solutions shown in the picture. In the yellow one try also hitting the vertical slope instead of the hill - you need to find just the right angle to bounce it back. Unfortunately I can not load back those old holes and try for myself.

@shagge@believer258@ajamafalous: I originally wanted to name this thread "Post your darkest hole" and go on with this by offering "helping to put your balls in the hole if you stumbled upon a tight one", but I resisted the temptation!!

Jamsque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So on the bombcast this week there was an email from a dude who said that he got to 4471 and it was 'impossible' and he emailed the developer of the game, who confirmed that it was impossible and that no-one he knew had made it past that point. I was pretty sure that this was bullshit given that I'm at hole 6730 so I am glad to find other people who have blown past the impossible hole.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By mikemcn

You people need to stop. Too much desert golf makes anyone lose their minds. I'm on hole 356 and i'm not excited to go much farther.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikemcn: It's the perfect podcast game, I work night shifts at a hospital so sometimes there is not much to do - perfect time to knock out a couple of hundreds holes..! I remember the first night I played it at work months ago I did over 1500 holes basically in one go.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By mikemcn

@quipido said:

@mikemcn: It's the perfect podcast game, I work night shifts at a hospital so sometimes there is not much to do - perfect time to knock out a couple of hundreds holes..! I remember the first night I played it at work months ago I did over 1500 holes basically in one go.

After commenting on this I did another 150 holes in Desert Golf... I'm a hypocrite... it's spectacularly engaging for how little is there! It's definitely great for playing while listening/watching/doing something else! I'm a Three's addict but even that requires a bit too much thought, with DG I can just take the occasional shot and still pay attention to what else is happening.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikemcn said:
    @quipido said:

After commenting on this I did another 150 holes in Desert Golf... I'm a hypocrite... it's spectacularly engaging for how little is there! It's definitely great for playing while listening/watching/doing something else! I'm a Three's addict but even that requires a bit too much thought, with DG I can just take the occasional shot and still pay attention to what else is happening.

Exactly, I listened to many old Ryan-era podcasts while playing DG. It's the second screen experience at it's finests!

GerbilsInSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hole 317. No problems here, just my first cactus. I don't want to leave you, cactus. You are my only friend in this cruel, uncaring world.

omatsei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I have no ideas... I already tried shooting randomly off the right, and it rolls too fast down the hill to try the slow method...

omatsei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By omatsei

I finally managed to shoot just barely enough to bounce on the little ledge, dropping it near the hole.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.