Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Can we talk about Shotguns?

Sniper26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sorry if this has been posted before, but man the one complaint I have about crucible in this game are the shotguns. Now I am capped out for crucible this week already (and last week). I am level 26. I cannot play a single game mode without a person who only uses a shotgun. They are one hit kills. If you are within 10feet they will slide one hit you. I am still usually first in most of my games, but man do the shotguns get annoying. The bounty today was for Rumble. Once I finished my 5 games I won't go back, literally every player is using a shotgun. It has to be the most un-fun thing. You basically have more or less unlimited ammo with it too. You even start off with ammo for it. Does anyone else agree with me or am I just imaging how un-fun shotguns make PvP?

I feel like they could somewhat balance it by not giving everyone ammo for the shotgun to start and limiting the availability of secondary ammo. Would make PvP way more fun. I don't have a problem with heavy ammo as it is usually fought over and it is one-two rounds for a rocket launcher.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It's almost useless at even medium range so isn't that a healthy trade-off? I've noticed people picking me off with automatics from a mile away more than the shotgun stuff. Or the Titan power killing everyone instantly at a cap point.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think its fine.you have to get in close to get that one hit kill,and alot of times it takes 2 or 3 shots to kill with a shotgun up close.i get kills with all the other weapons against shotguns just fine.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

All games have one hit kill shotguns.

By far my biggest gripe with the game is the hunter special. Overpowered in the extreme.

Sniper26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nasp said:

i think its fine.you have to get in close to get that one hit kill,and alot of times it takes 2 or 3 shots to kill with a shotgun up close.i get kills with all the other weapons against shotguns just fine.

What level are you? It was like that in the lower levels, but it seems that with all level 26s, the shotguns all have extended slides. I can slide super far. If you are a hunter and have speed boost + extended Slide + one hit shotgun, it pretty crazy. Also, sure Autos are better at long range, but most people don't let you get that far and just one hit you at medium range, not even close range.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

As a hunter I find double jumping backwards is usually a reliable tactic when you can recognize a shotgun user heading towards you.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I really don't have a problem with them. They are only effective at very short ranges, you just need to be aware that everyone is probably going to use them in a mode like rumble and change tactics accordingly. If you are going into a close quarters situation take out your shotty so you are on even footing. And for big open spaces take out your rifle where you can put some distance between them and you, you will win that fight every time.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sniper26 said:

@nasp said:

What level are you? It was like that in the lower levels, but it seems that with all level 26s, the shotguns all have extended slides. I can slide super far. If you are a hunter and have speed boost + extended Slide + one hit shotgun, it pretty crazy. Also, sure Autos are better at long range, but most people don't let you get that far and just one hit you at medium range, not even close range.

im lv 26,and i get kills with autos all the time.you just have to learn how to separate yourself from the enemies to give you space.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I solely use a shotgun and have been outgunned more often than not. I would just watch your mini-map more closely, and maybe be careful about close engagments? I mean, find distance between you and the target and people like me will be completely useless.

Seems like a fair trade.

Sniper26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sniper26

@nasp said:

@sniper26 said:

@nasp said:

im lv 26,and i get kills with autos all the time.you just have to learn how to separate yourself from the enemies to give you space.

Like I said, I still consistently get first. almost a 2.0K/D, but usually when I do die, it is from a sliding hunter or going around a corner to a one hit shotgun. I may be imagining it, but it seems like 90% of people are using shotguns and just one hitting full health people from decent range. I don't mean this to sound like I am just mad that I am dying, it just feels like a no-skill everyone has weapon. My Auto is pretty ridiculous, but I still have to get headshots to kill someone first. A shotgun is just boom, you're dead.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

My bigger problem with them is how they seem to be inconsistent across players. Several times, I've run up to someone with my shotgun and hit them, almost killing them, just to be shot by theirs and die in one hit. It seems that something about the way the damage normalizes (probably based on stats like Impact and Range) means that it may take more than one shot at anything other than point blank range. This inconsistency seems like it could be a bit unbalanced in the long run.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I die way too much to the overpowered one shot punches. I'm a titan, level 24 and I can not one shot kill anyone in the crucible. Yet everyone can do it to me.

Sniper26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

I die way too much to the overpowered one shot punches. I'm a titan, level 24 and I can not one shot kill anyone in the crucible. Yet everyone can do it to me.

That isn't everyone though. With shotguns, I am forced to use them just because they are so good. I can slide one hit everyone. Most of the time I die because I didn't hit first or I went around a corner. I would much rather use my auto, but on a lot of maps I don't have choice. Shotgun it is.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually I've been encountering the same problem but I feel like I've been getting sniped by shotguns. They are extremely effective at even a medium range and it's really annoying

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wemibelec90: they might have leveled up their toughness on their character

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By mbradley1992

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but you sound like you're complaining because you're not getting better stats. You're already "usually first" in the games, so what does it matter? If you're winning a football game, do you complain because you can't win by 20 instead of 15? It just seems silly that you're fussing about getting killed some when you're obviously a good player.

And no, it's not unfair. It may be "un-fun" because you don't want to get killed, but it's fair. They can't shoot from across the map, so to be honest, it's more impressive that they are getting up close to you and getting the kill.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As a person who has used a shotgun I can attest that under many, many circumstances they are not a one hit kill.

Sniper26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but you sound like you're complaining because you're not getting better stats. You're already "usually first" in the games, so what does it matter? If you're winning a football game, do you complain because you can't win by 20 instead of 15? It just seems silly that you're fussing about getting killed some when you're obviously a good player.

And no, it's not unfair. It may be "un-fun" because you don't want to get killed, but it's fair. They can't shoot from across the map, so to be honest, it's more impressive that they are getting up close to you and getting the kill.

The reason that I think that it is unfair is because someone who is less skilled then someone else can instantly get a one hit kill, consistently without a penalty to anything. I honestly don't care about being first every time, I just play to have fun, if I am first, great, if not whatever. I don't care about my states, but when someone who is not close range is one hitting people with a shotgun, there seems to be problem. The thing though is that it isn't every shotgun, just most. Impact differences are the only thing that matter in PvP.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By spraynardtatum

@sniper26 said:

@mbradley1992 said:

The reason that I think that it is unfair is because someone who is less skilled then someone else can instantly get a one hit kill, consistently without a penalty to anything. I honestly don't care about being first every time, I just play to have fun, if I am first, great, if not whatever. I don't care about my states, but when someone who is not close range is one hitting people with a shotgun, there seems to be problem. The thing though is that it isn't every shotgun, just most. Impact differences are the only thing that matter in PvP.

Counter with hits on approach and a melee when they are close.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Anund

Funny, I went into this thread thinking you would complain about them being completely useless. Which they are. Unless you're in their face. I have two level 20 weapons: a handcannon and a shotty, and I never use the shotty because it's so completely useless. I would much rather use my sniper if it's an open map, or a fusion rifle if it's close quarters.

Sure I get killed by shotgun users occasionally, but always at extremely close range. As soon as you get some distance on them they are free kills.

Here's the link to my character so you know what I play and how much time I spent in PvP (not a huge amount, but not insignificant).

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shotguns are fine. They might kill you in one hit or one hit and then a quick melee, but the opponent needs to get right up in your face for that to work. Out in the open, they're generally useless.

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sold!

I love shotguns in Bungie games. I loved running around with a shotgun in Halo 3 more than life itself. It's a thrilling, daring, dangerous sensation.

Also, Infection was amazing. Because shotguns.

Man I miss Halo 3.

Shotguns are powerful, but they are very limited in their rate of fire, "magazine" size, and range.

It's not unfair and while SOME kills might require less skill, in order to really succeed you have to be pretty on top of your game with a shotgun. Any weapon can find itself in the hands of an inexperienced player who's in the optimal situation to engage that weapon. Shotguns aren't the only ones. And even inexperienced players will get kills occasionally. But with something as risky as a shotgun? A couple of kills doesn't make a winner. A shotgun is very limited. You can't use skill to snipe with a shotgun, but you could theoretically use skill to shotgun with a sniper. At least in most games.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I find fusion rifles more of a problem than shotguns. I don't feel that I get one-shotted by shotguns nearly as often as I get by fusion rifles.

Though I don't want to complain too much about those either, considering the wind-up on them gives you a bit of a lead in at most times.

tp0p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tp0p

the way I play shooters is that I'm rarely in close quarters with enemy players. There is usually a good distance between me and them. So, I'm actually using the pistol and getting into mid range fights. It all depends on the map though. Some maps are good for getting up close and personal with the shotgun and some maps it's better to use the sniper rifle.

randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By randyf

While I haven't played the multiplayer in Destiny, I can say that I've heard people complain about shotguns in many, many games. The reason being is that nobody likes to be killed in one shot. They want a chance to retaliate, and if you die in one shot, you can't. It can be frustrating while you're in a groove to run around a corner and instantly die. I get it.

But shotguns are not unfair, just like sniper rifles aren't unfair. They kill people in one shot with the trade-off of being absolutely useless except in their ideal scenarios. The reason you use an assault rifle, for example, is because it's a jack-of-all-trades/master-of-none sort of deal. It's GOOD for just about any situation, but it's bested by weapons that are designed for specific situations. Wouldn't it be unfair if an assault rifle was better at close range than a shotgun while still retaining its range and fire rate?

If someone is good at staying in close range and picking people off with a shotgun as they run by, then that's how he or she should be playing the game. If everyone was running around with the same basic assault rifle, it would be super boring and tactics would never change.

Edited for typos.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I've heard of people having more issues with fusion rifles than shotguns in the crucible because they have a little bit of range to them.

Kain55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually don't find them to be too problematic. They're not the threat they were in Halo because of your many abilities to escape, double jump and the like, so I don't mind them. However, I had to use a fusion rifle because I needed void damage kills for my exotic bounty quest, and I actually started to feel like I was cheating. The fusion rifle is ridiculous especially with an aim down sights modifier. The range at which you can one shot kill someone with it is insane. Fortunately it seems like most people haven't really discovered how crazy they are yet.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I'm not into videogames where the shotgun isn't a one hit kill at a given range.

Same goes for sniper rifles.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've heard of people having more issues with fusion rifles than shotguns in the crucible because they have a little bit of range to them.

This. Shotguns are very powerful at close-range, but put even a tiny bit of distance between you and your target and it becomes almost useless, reckless even if you consider its rate of fire. The fusion rifle on the other hand can be used at medium range and will often result in an instant-kill.

jhajha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love shot guns. :)

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@humanity said:

It's almost useless at even medium range so isn't that a healthy trade-off? I've noticed people picking me off with automatics from a mile away more than the shotgun stuff. Or the Titan power killing everyone instantly at a cap point.

Shotguns are only good for the Thrall swarms, as far as I can tell at least.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I think the plasma is better because it travels through the pack and can be fired at range. The shotgun is too slow and you get swarmed. Overall fuck those enemies. Even at level 22 when I get mobbed by like 4 of those at level 4 they still manage to really bang me up.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@theacidskull said:

@humanity said:

I think the plasma is better because it travels through the pack and can be fired at range. The shotgun is too slow and you get swarmed. Overall fuck those enemies. Even at level 22 when I get mobbed by like 4 of those at level 4 they still manage to really bang me up.

I found the titans punch really helpful during these swarms. Hey, is the game really devoid of story? I mean I started a while back and gameplay wise it's fucking fantastic so far.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Humanity

@theacidskull: After leveling and doing other stuff for ages I finally finished the story today, and yes it is devoid of story. The last mission has a pretty cool looking location but other than that is completely anti-climactic. There are quite literally about 3 cutscenes in the entirety of the game and just as much story exposition. If you would be tempted to go online and read the 'lore' as I was you'll find it just as lacking there as it is in-game.

If you're enjoying the gameplay thats awesome, because don't expect the narrative to pick up anytime soon. Maybe several DLC's down the road, but after 8-10 hours spent in Destiny you'll barely even know who you are much less anything else around you.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@theacidskull: After leveling and doing other stuff for ages I finally finished the story today, and yes it is devoid of story. The last mission has a pretty cool looking location but other than that is completely anti-climactic. There are quite literally about 3 cutscenes in the entirety of the game and just as much story exposition. If you would be tempted to go online and read the 'lore' as I was you'll find it just as lacking there as it is in-game.

If you're enjoying the gameplay thats awesome, because don't expect the narrative to pick up anytime soon. Maybe several DLC's down the road, but after 8-10 hours spent in Destiny you'll barely even know who you are much less anything else around you.

Oh fuck, that's a bummer. This was one of my top anticipated games, hope the gameplay fills in the gaps.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All games have one hit kill shotguns.

By far my biggest gripe with the game is the hunter special. Overpowered in the extreme.

Yeah, Hunters are way more annoying than shotguns. Sometimes fusion rifles are more annoying than shotguns. At least with shotguns it was kinda your fault for getting too close if you're using your primary. With fusions it can be a random one hit kill from any range. If you get a purple or yellow one and it upgrade it then the charge time is barely there at all. Hunters using their stupid dash bugs me too. I'd prefer it if we had more health like in Halo, rather than being completely twitch and one hit kill like COD.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.