Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Destiny is so boring!

Venekor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't understand why everyone loves it, all my friends loved it when it launched and played together for months on it. The game sold massively and people just seem to love it.... why? For me it feels like they took all the bad parts of MMOs and chucked out the good stuff like the world. All the missions feel very grindy and there is one mechanic to Destiny and that is shoot waves of enemies. I expected big open environments like Fallout 3 or something, I expected lots of interesting side quests and an epic story line and there is nothing but boring linear levels to kill all the mobs in. Destiny had that amazing opening cinematic, I was so pumped, but then I got into the game and had to wonder what that opening had to do with the game? It feels totally disconnected because it's nothing like the game in the slightest..

It's just so one note to me and I'm bored of it after only a handful of hours, where are the vast expansive environments? Why do I always feel like I'm in a corridor? When I played half-Life 2 back in the day it felt very much like a Mario game in that they were always introducing a new mechanic, a new way to play the game. Each area had something new, you were never bored as they always switched it up, heck even COD 4 back in 2007 felt very fresh as they did the same thing throughout the game. Destiny is just shoot, that is all they have, it feels like a game from the 90s but with modern graphics and modern day mechanics, there is no depth to the gameplay.

I've never played a Halo game but the first one back in 2001 and I don't remember much about it, however if this is what Bungie is......

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The gunplay is some of the tightest out of any of the next-gen FPS'es, the multiplayer is legitimately fun, the raids are fun, PoE is fun, you just gotta grind it out to level up to play that fun stuff.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Everyone loves Destiny? That's news to me. Any time anything about it gets posted anywhere, half the comments are people shitting on it, most of whom I would wager haven't even played the game, but I digress...

Different strokes for different folks. I like Destiny. Not really sure what to tell you. If it's not for you then it's not for you.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By shivermetimbers

I think comparing Destiny to Half Life is pretty disingenuous. If you want a good paced and varied single player shooter, don't look for it in a multiplayer only shooter that relies mostly on other people for enjoyment.

grtkbrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: According to Brad (I think), the Destiny subreddit hit like record numbers when House of Wolves hit.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

It definitely didn't live up to the hype, but what is there has provided tons of fun for myself and friends.

However, I realize that you really do have to grind to get to the good stuff, and that does suck.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@venekor: Moved to the Destiny forum. Please keep all topics in their relevant areas of discussion. Thanks.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

gunplay is dope. if you play it for any other reason, well, more power to ya.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By BisonHero

While I think the feel of the gunplay and the visuals are defensible, everything about the mission design and writing in Destiny feels like they really halfassed it/gutted it compared to say Borderlands. Even if Borderlands is a swing and a miss on a lot of its quest writing, at least they fucking swung. Destiny barely even picks up the bat.

Also I'd take Borderland's system where you can actually spec your character with different abilities any day of the week, over the very limited ability to spec in Destiny where it's more just about how much did you grind so that your weapon has the best possible reload time or whatever. It's too much grind for ability/gear upgrades that are boring 90% of the time anyways. You can't fundamentally change much about the actual output of your abilities except in some very minor ways.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually stop reading after "I don't understand why people like ____". I dunno... Some people enjoy things that you don't? I had a blast with Destiny up until about level 22. The shooting feels good and I played with friends. Not that much of a stretch for me to imagine that people enjoy the end game stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.