Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Destiny's problems explained using Empire Strikes Back

DocPorpoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DocPorpoise

Having read a bunch of reviews talking about the game & it's issues with story and now having played it myself i kind of understood what they were talking about. How ever being a big star wars nerd and reading this (whole article here) by Carolyn Petit it gave me a good reference point to clearly understand my feelings about the game.

"The game’s narrative doesn’t develop your character at all, but to me, her look suggested that this was a person with an interesting story. I was reminded of the rogues gallery of bounty hunters from The Empire Strikes Back, most of whom get almost no screen time, but whose looks are so distinctive and memorable that as a child, I was thrilled by the idea of their stories, and the larger universe their existence seemed to suggest. I wanted the action figures for them, so that I could create their stories on my own.

And as I played through Destiny’s hollow story, a story full of vague mumbo-jumbo that doesn’t mean anything at all and is only the flimsiest excuse to send you from Earth to the moon to Venus to Mars, killing things all the while, this was the feeling that I kept coming back to. That I was playing with elaborate playsets and action figures that suggested stories and that have tremendous potential to tell them, but that don’t actually bother to do it."

I encourage you to read the whole thing as she (like most) liked the game but in the end found it lacking.

confideration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Not getting it

Sorry that's all I got

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Uhhhhhh...... no, actually I was thinking about Star Wars but was thinking how good Star Wars world building was. In most fictional story sometimes the universe is so consistently harsh or evil you don't want to live in it, but in the original star wars universe I could imagine being a Jawa and dodging Empire stealing droid and then scamming moisture farmers to make a living for my family. Here..... outside of being a robot man who shoots with other robot men or ladies, I can't imagine a world where we just shoot things for our giant sphere in fear of darkness....... At least let me imagine something more in this universe. And to be honest, when I start rolling into Venus and Mars I did try to imagine that universe, but even still it's presented at several hundred years later. Apparently humanity is also being hunted down in earth, but then we don't see much of humanity in the Tower and skyboxes. And yes the Bounty Hunters in empire get a fraction of secton of screen time but you at least get the idea "they work for the top bidder, empire or the mob." Here, everyone has an identical origin, you have part of the storyline that's all standing to say the same line, very dumb ending which hopes your still there for 10 year run...... at least cut off an arm, tell someone is evil or what the hell were the vex making a garden for worshiping a evil god? Religious robots why?

My point is, this is a really shallow world for a sandbox environment, but I think other fictional worlds do it better. And it's interesting since I did think of Star Wars but not for the same reason.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By TheHT

Not getting it

Sorry that's all I got

She's saying it's the sort of thing you find your own enjoyment in. Use your imagination to fill in the blanks, that sort of shit. Which is all well and good. I love that sort of stuff, but I think there needs to be enough of a narrative around it for those things to be really effective.

confideration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

On the other side of this though are the failed Star Wars MMOs. I love Star Wars to death but when it stopped telling me it's story and asked me to "be a part of it" or whatever, I lost the thread.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Extended Universe of Destiny will also be ruined by R.A. Salvatore.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Extended Universe of Destiny will also be ruined by R.A. Salvatore Kevin J Anderson.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.