Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Skipping DLC?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Having recently gone back to Destiny, and after quickly getting to level 30 (soon to be 31 or 32) without any of the DLC, I've been wondering about the third expansion..

I'm still miffed by the general lack of content in the base game, and don't really want to blow £35+ on both the current DLC packs. If the rumour that the 3rd expansion will add a new planet is actually true, that might be the only thing that would persuade me to actually spend money on Destiny.

My question is, does anyone think that skipping the first 2 expansions would cause me a problem in terms of playing the third? So far it doesn't seem like it'd be a problem, but it would be good to know before the third comes around.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

There will probably be a bundle released when the fall expansion comes out that will include all of them. Regardless, there won't be any issues if you do decide to skip out on the first two and go straight to the third.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bollard

@ll_exile_ll: Yeah, I was thinking the same. I just hope it's less expensive.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well in a game lacking content, skipping content will probably give you problems as far as having things to do. I tried to go back and play, but it seems all the daily and weekly stuff is locked behind the dlc now, so without spending more money the game is pretty much dead.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have any DLC. I'm lvl 24 or 27... I forget. How easy was it to get to 30? I haven't played since before the first expansion came out.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@oursin_360 said:

Well in a game lacking content, skipping content will probably give you problems as far as having things to do. I tried to go back and play, but it seems all the daily and weekly stuff is locked behind the dlc now, so without spending more money the game is pretty much dead.

The majority of the time the daily and weekly stuff is vanilla content. They simply added the new content to the rotation, so 2/7 weeks the weekly and nightfall will be a DLC strike, and like 8 of the 28 missions that could be a daily are DLC missions.

Still, anyone that wants to be playing Destiny regularly really should have the DLC at this point.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have any DLC. I'm lvl 24 or 27... I forget. How easy was it to get to 30? I haven't played since before the first expansion came out.

I was level 24 last Thursday. I played ~6-8 hours since then and I'm now 30, and 60 Vanguard Marks away from being 32 probably.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Devil240Z

@bollard said:
    @devil240z said:

I was level 24 last Thursday. I played ~6-8 hours since then and I'm now 30, and 60 Vanguard Marks away from being 32 probably.

hmm. ok. I logged in a few days ago to check it out but it seemed like most stuff was locked behind the DLC so I gave up, maybe Ill give it another go. But I don't really have the means to do raid/non match making stuff so if thats required then I'm buggered.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:
    @devil240z said:

hmm. ok. I logged in a few days ago to check it out but it seemed like most stuff was locked behind the DLC so I gave up, maybe Ill give it another go. But I don't really have the means to do raid/non match making stuff so if thats required then I'm buggered.

I've literally just been doing bounties and the Cruicble. A full set of faction gear will get you over 30 on its own, and I got The New Order from halfway to level 1 to over level 2 in just that amount of time.

Mageknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Mageknight

You can probably safely skip The Dark Below (though you're missing out on a handful of cool items, and I guess Crota's End is cool the first time), but House of Wolves is pretty great (especially if you're still rocking vanilla gear). It's easier than ever to get into endgame content with the new progression system.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Gear is the most important thing in this game though. It's more important than your character level. You'll be missing out on gear and will not be able to cherry-pick gear for each situation. You'll have to make due with what will be in that third expansion and general consensus is that each piece of content (base game, DLC1, DLC2) offers fantastic pieces of gear in some categories, and pretty shitty ones in others.

So it depends on how far you want to go with this game. My guess is not very far since you aren't interested in the first two DLC's, and if that's the case gear is far less important; if you don't want to run (hard) Raids and higher level Prison of Elders and Trials of Osiris.

That said, if you're not that interested in that stuff, I don't think you're going to be having a fantastic time with Destiny to begin with.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bollard

@zevvion: I still haven't run the Vault of Glass on normal yet. Once I get the final piece of faction gear and reach level 32 (?) then I'm gunna try and do it for the first time - providing I can find 3 more people. I don't really care about doing it on hard, I just want more things to do more than anything else. And it'd be nice to be able to do Nightfall Strikes again so I can actually get enough strange coins for when Xur comes each week. Only just bought my first exotic - a sniper.

From most of the responses so far, I'm tempted to pick up House of Wolves at least. How soon is the 3rd expansion?

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@bollard: There are tons of things to do now. Too much to do in one week. But it's all endgame stuff.

The Vanguard and Crucible gear gets you to 32. You can Ascend it to get to 34. You can do Vault of Glass at 28 comfortably so you'll be pretty overleveled at 32.

Comet (the big new expansion) will likely come out this november.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.