Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

so if the darkness...

sumjugei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So the darkness is supposedly out just beyond or in the asteroid belt--or the rift --whatever... Shouldn't most of the fun space stuff in the skybox not be visible?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I don't think "The Darkness" is a literal thing like that. It's like the force or the Reapers or something - some unknown thing that lends its power to the enemies of Earth.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Loading Video...

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I don't think "The Darkness" is a literal thing like that. It's like the force or the Reapers or something - some unknown think that lends its power to the enemies of Earth.

I thought that too.... unless that black blob was it? and yet it dies when statues are destroyed? which I don't know how that works? It's like what if you turned on 3 roombas and they die you die?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

@chaser324 said:

I don't think "The Darkness" is a literal thing like that. It's like the force or the Reapers or something - some unknown think that lends its power to the enemies of Earth.

I thought that too.... unless that black blob was it? and yet it dies when statues are destroyed? which I don't know how that works? It's like what if you turned on 3 roombas and they die you die?

And now you know the terrible truth about Roombas. They run on your very soul!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
    deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Everytime I hear "Darkness" I can't help but think of this:

Loading Video...

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

This is also the game that thinks you need a warp drive to get from the earth to the moon (actual distance: around 1.5 light-seconds). I don't think much of it makes a whole lotta sense.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

This is also the game that thinks you need a warp drive to get from the earth to the moon (actual distance: around 1.5 light-seconds). I don't think much of it makes a whole lotta sense.

Well to do it in seconds you would

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By doctordonkey

Well you see, the darkness is this evil force right, and the opposite of dark is light, so you are like, made of light or something, or maybe the Traveler is. See, the Traveler is this giant ball thing that floats on earth, and uh, you guard it I think, cause you are a Guardian. Which is made of light. The opposite of light is dark, or the Fallen, or the Vex.

The hive.

Space.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well you see, the darkness is this evil force right, and the opposite of dark is light, so you are like, made of light or something, or maybe the Traveler is. See, the Traveler is this giant ball thing that floats on earth, and uh, you guard it I think, cause you are a Guardian. Which is made of light. The opposite of light is dark, or the Fallen, or the Vex.

The hive.

Space.

Your Ghost is cool because it's yours and it has like, ultimate knowledge.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By development

I haven't played this game. Is it just gonna turn out to be Oblivion? Because Tom Cruise already did that... it was alright.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Niceanims

The darkness isn't the aliens you're fighting. They just follow it like scavengers follow a predator. The darkness wants to kill the Traveler, couldn't care less about the humans in the way. Traveler blew itself up to push back the darkness so we could recover. The darkness use Pyramid-shaped ships.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

I just hope the expansion(s) or Destiny 2 will feature Descent style asteroid dungeon crawling and space shooting. Those ship designs seem fit for that.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@itwongo said:

The darkness isn't the aliens you're fighting. They just follow it like scavengers follow a predator. The darkness wants to kill the Traveler, couldn't care less about the humans in the way. Traveler blew itself up to push back the darkness so we could recover. The darkness use Pyramid-shaped ships.

What the shit. That from the Grimoire cards?

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Why am I getting Kingdom Hearts flashbacks reading about Destiny's lore?

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

@chaser324 said:

And now you know the terrible truth about Roombas. They run on your very soul!

You know, by saying that, you made more sense then Destiny...... Oh no, having chest pains..... lil roomba stops for a bit. No wait, it was heart burn, roomba whirls back up

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NTM
    @jonny_anonymous said:

@rorie said:

Well to do it in seconds you would

Well, seeing how the loads can be longer than one second, it's really unrealistic, even for the other planets in our solar system, so technically, they'd only need to implement the warp speed travel in some kind of DLC where it'd actually make sense, not in our solar system; well, it can make sense for the planets, but not the moon. Another thing to note is that, while I'm not entirely sure if it's real or not (since I've never stood on another planet or our moon and looked at the sky), but it seems as if most of the planets show the entire galaxy at once. That's just a few things, but at least Bungie didn't say that they were going for something realistic, though I'm not actually sure about that... I kind of wish they were more grounded, even going so far to perhaps teach about the planets and the moon in some way.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@development: I liked Oblivion. Funny you say that though, because early on, when I played the beta, I kept calling The Traveler, the tet, which is the thing in Oblivion, but no, it's not similar.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Niceanims

@theht said:

@itwongo said:

What the shit. That from the Grimoire cards?

And tidbits Bungie has spread out over interviews, panels, etc.

I wish Destiny explained this all better in the story. I think it's neat.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@itwongo: That is some cool art.

I had no idea that they were supposed to be their own faction, I thought it was basically just some intelligence that used the fallen etc to wage war.

If they are a separate faction it doesn't make much sense why they don't swoop in and blow up the traveller after several hundred years of it lying weakened. But hey I guess we will see in Destiny 2!

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Crembaw

@crithon said:

@chaser324 said:

That thing wasn't the Darkness, that was a different evil thing the W'rkncacnter from Marathon unassociated with the Darkness. It needed killing because otherwise it would swim in the Sun or something.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crembaw said:

@crithon said:

@chaser324 said:

That thing wasn't the Darkness, that was a different evil thing the W'rkncacnter from Marathon unassociated with the Darkness. It needed killing because otherwise it would swim in the Sun or something.

so it's the typical lovecraftian type "creature from another dimension if it comes out it will kill us all." Except in Hellboy comics those themes go on for 25 pages of punching, so this is closer to hellboy.

soooooo, the Traveler was never at risk? Just a general all purpose thing needs killing because it might go to the local mall and annoy teenage girls?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.