Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

So, why is the reticule not in the middle of the screen?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Spoonman671

Is there an actual reason for this, or is it just so I can constantly be aiming too low in Destiny until I switch to a different game where I end up aiming too high? I should note, I've never played a Halo game, so maybe this is just a Bungie thing that everybody was expecting, but it still seems extremely weird and unnecessary to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't noticed it. If i see it now after reading this... *shakes fist*

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

It wasn't a Halo thing. I didn't notice it in Unfinished, but I'll go look at that again.

EDIT: I just watched some of the Unfinished and the first thing I thought was "shit fuck, he was right, the reticle is just below the halfway down the screen line."

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Oh wow, that's weird; I wonder if there's a good reason for it. Maybe they figured something out about shooters that nobody else knows.

Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Garfield518

@believer258 said:

It wasn't a Halo thing. I didn't notice it in Unfinished, but I'll go look at that again.

EDIT: I just watched some of the Unfinished and the first thing I thought was "shit fuck, he was right, the reticle is just below the halfway down the screen line."

It's definitely a Halo/Bungie thing - every Halo had the reticule below the centre of the screen.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Checking out the unfinished video it looks like they centered it based on the "play area", as in they cut off the top part that is UI. If you consider the bottom of the health bar the top of the screen it sorta looks centered.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By xyzygy

@garfield518 said:

@believer258 said:

It's definitely a Halo/Bungie thing - every Halo had the reticule below the centre of the screen.

I actually think Halo 3 was the first one to do that. I only say that because I remember being very put off by it at first. 343 has since continued it in Halo 4.

EDIT: Whoops, looks like it was Halo 2.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

Damn it, now I've gotta go check the Halo games too. I really don't remember it in those games, though.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

...wow, I guess all you folks that put a bit of clear tape with a dot in the middle of you screen for shooters will have to move that dot...such a shame.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bungie have been doing that for a long time. They probably do it to compensate for that fact that pretty much everyone that plays any FPS will put the reticle on the ground. You have to train yourself not to do it. So by putting the reticle lower it allows you to see up more.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As somebody who generally aims by feel, and often turns the reticule off when given the option, this fucks me up a little bit. It just seems like such a purposeless thing to change about shooter conventions. The only argument I can see in favor of it would be that it could potentially allow for the weapon model to sit lower on screen, and therefore take up less space, enhancing visibility. I don't think it's worth making the game feel so unnatural, but it seems that I'm just about the only person who even notices it, so maybe I'm wrong.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's the most logical answer I could immediately find, from a moderator on the 343 industries forum (which is not Bungie, but is clearly working with their ideas):

RedStarRocket91:

There's a theory, which is very popular with game designers, that most players don't look up very often. This increases their chances of getting killed from above as they're less likely to spot enemies.

Lowering the reticule increases the amount of space available for vision above the player's head, making it more likely that players will spot targets higher up. You don't normally need to see what's on the ground in front of you as most enemies will be at head height or just below, so you'll see them anyway.

When you add to that the fact that Halo (and Destiny) has so many more tall, vertical vistas and architecture than most video games, encouraging people to look slightly higher makes a lot of sense.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@garfield518 said:

@believer258 said:

Damn it, now I've gotta go check the Halo games too. I really don't remember it in those games, though.

Yep, you were right garfield, Reach's reticule is lower than most games. I've never noticed this.

As somebody who generally aims by feel, and often turns the reticule off when given the option, this fucks me up a little bit. It just seems like such a purposeless thing to change about shooter conventions. The only argument I can see in favor of it would be that it could potentially allow for the weapon model to sit lower on screen, and therefore take up less space, enhancing visibility. I don't think it's worth making the game feel so unnatural, but it seems that I'm just about the only person who even notices it, so maybe I'm wrong.

But now that I have noticed, I can see that they did it to show you more of the upper parts of the screen. Its purpose seems to be to show you what's above your vision as well as make sure you see those gorgeous Bungie skyboxes. I wouldn't say that it's "purposeless".

Anyway, if most people didn't notice it then I'd say that it probably isn't "unnatural".

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

@garfield518 said:

@believer258 said:

Yep, you were right garfield, Reach's reticule is lower than most games. I've never noticed this.

@spoonman671 said:

But now that I have noticed, I can see that they did it to show you more of the upper parts of the screen. Its purpose seems to be to show you what's above your vision as well as make sure you see those gorgeous Bungie skyboxes. I wouldn't say that it's "purposeless".

Anyway, if most people didn't notice it then I'd say that it probably isn't "unnatural".

Yeah, but can't I just look up? I've managed to figure that out in every other FPS I've ever played. It's seems like they're trying to fix a problem that doesn't actually exist. It feels like player coddling. Like we've both said, I'm the only person that this bothers apparently.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't notice it in Halo games until I was replaying Reach one day, last year I think. And that was probably because I was just coming off of a Borderlands game or something. All in all, I'd say I generally prefer the way that Bungie/Halo games control and move more than most FPS games, so, maybe it's doing something that I don't notice.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#16 sgtsphynx  Moderator

@angrighandi: I'd go so far as to say people in general, not just video game players, don't look up. I saw this quite a bit during a workup for deployment where almost everyone either looked straight ahead or towards the ground when clearing a room. Walk around outside, and a good portion of people will be looking down at their phones or slightly towards the pavement.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

@believer258 said:

@garfield518 said:

@believer258 said:

@spoonman671 said:

Yeah, but can't I just look up? I've managed to figure that out in every other FPS I've ever played. It's seems like they're trying to fix a problem that doesn't actually exist. It feels like player coddling. Like we've both said, I'm the only person that this bothers apparently.

It is kind of a small thing, and I can see why it bothers you, but after thinking about I'd say that it's a fine design decision.

You'll probably get used to it. Look on the bright side - at least if you don't get used to it in the Alpha, you won't waste $60 only to come home and find out that the game really bothers you.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I noticed it the first time I played Halo 2 and I hated it ever since.

It was also in Goldeneye Rogue Agent

Tortoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This is an interesting question. It seems like something a designer wouldn't even think of changing - I don't think I would have.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Bungie have been doing that for a long time. They probably do it to compensate for that fact that pretty much everyone that plays any FPS will put the reticle on the ground. You have to train yourself not to do it. So by putting the reticle lower it allows you to see up more.

totally, I think you hit on the reason. I've noticed my view drifting down in most FPS games due to where I need to be putting the crosshairs. Putting it low on the view allows you to "keep your head up" and it feels much better.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Itwastuesday

I also think it's the reason! I realized this a couple times in Bioshock Infinite, or other FPS games with really nice looking stuff in the sky. You miss it most of the time you're concentrating on the game, you just have your cursor trained on the ground.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#23 riostarwind  Moderator

Hm I never noticed this in any game that had it. I guess I'm so used to adapting to whatever viewpoint a game has I don't really pay attention to it.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

You guys run around with the reticle pointed at the ground instead of at head-level of where an enemy will be?

I'm with Spoonman, this is something that would annoy the shit out of me, to the point where it might even hinder my enjoyment of the game. I understand the reasoning for the 'fix,' but it seems like they're trying to fix something that isn't broken. I don't have a PS4, so moot point, I guess.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Okay, I don't really care overmuch about this, because I find I adjust pretty quickly....but do you guys seriously tend to aim towards the ground / the enemy's feet when you play an FPS?

Maybe it's just years of Counterstrike but I ALWAYS keep my crosshair at about neck/chin level when I'm walking around / turning corners in an FPS. The less you have to move your crosshair for a headshot, the better...right?

Not that it really matters unless you're playing a more competitive shooter, but the idea of walking around with your view centered on the ground seems REALLY weird to me. If that's the case though, I guess I can see the impetus for lowering the crosshair a bit. I'd never heard anyone say that they do that before, so I've always found the crosshair placement in Halo and such an odd choice, although again, one adjusts pretty quickly. Makes more sense now, though.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe they're trying to go for realism since people don't actually hold guns right in front of their eye line unless they're ATS? ie they hold them just above their hips...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.