Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Upgrading equipment raises its light value?

Alucitary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been sitting on full legendary armor with 18 light for a while now wondering how much grinding it would take to get me past an apparent roadblock at level 25. I had been neglecting to purchase the upgrades for the armor because I didn't want to gather the materials, when I finally did start upgrading them I freaked out when I noticed my level rising. Am I crazy? I didn't see this noted anywhere, obviously I should have been upgrading my gear, but I was really confused when my progression halted completely right before I was raid worthy. If I keep on with this I'll probably be 27 in a few hours.

JunkHype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, light goes up when you upgrade defense.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@alucitary: Light level is based on Defense thresholds. So, when you upgrade defense on a piece of equipment the light quantity on it will go up because the defense is higher. So if you really want to reach max level best start saving those ascendant shards.

Sniper26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you mean you haven't upgraded them at all? Or just not used Ascendant Shards? In full Legendary gear you should be 27 if you have upgraded everything without using Ascendant Shards. At least on both of my characters I am?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ares42

Yep, this is what most people haven't realized about the grind in this game yet. It's not about getting the awesome piece of loot, it's just about getting any legendary in the slot so you can upgrade it to improve your light value (which eventually requires a bunch more legendaries in the grinder for materials). It takes 22-24 legendaries to fully upgrade your four pieces, which should leaves you at level 28 in legendaries or 29 with an exotic (and evidently 30 if you have raid legendaries).

Alucitary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: Ya, knowing this the end game seems much more reasonable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.