Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

What doesn't Destiny do, that you'd want it to do?

• 149 results
    Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@humanity said:

Fun and reactive combat as opposed to this RPG nonsense with lifebars. If it's first person then let me just shoot doods. In the Unfinished that Jeff shot with Brad they were just dumping into some of those guys and then a named shows up and whooopie-doo it's just a complete sponge.

You can have RPG elements and still remain an interesting shooter - Far Cry 3 did it as well as Wolfenstein: The New Order. Just because you want your "shooter" to feel more like an RPG doesn't mean you have to dilute the core gameplay to a numbers game.

It doesn't have RPG elements, it is an actual RPG. You're comparing it to very different games. What you want out of Destiny is something that it isn't trying to be.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Destiny does what Halon't?

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

need it to deliver a great story, based on the alpha, its really pretty fantastic.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Avatar image for daniel1cockerill
    daniel1cockerill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanna play but I have no code..........I am wounded

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@zevvion said:

@humanity said:

Fun and reactive combat as opposed to this RPG nonsense with lifebars. If it's first person then let me just shoot doods. In the Unfinished that Jeff shot with Brad they were just dumping into some of those guys and then a named shows up and whooopie-doo it's just a complete sponge.

You can have RPG elements and still remain an interesting shooter - Far Cry 3 did it as well as Wolfenstein: The New Order. Just because you want your "shooter" to feel more like an RPG doesn't mean you have to dilute the core gameplay to a numbers game.

It doesn't have RPG elements, it is an actual RPG. You're comparing it to very different games. What you want out of Destiny is something that it isn't trying to be.

That is one of my issues which isn't necessarily just Destiny's problem - if it's purely an RPG then why is it in first person? What do we gain by being in the first person perspective if it's not going to play to any of the strengths that such a choice affords?

If it's honestly just an RPG, and incidentally I don't think it's purely an RPG although a majority of it is, then just put it in third person over the shoulder instead of crafting this elaborate illusion.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57  Edited By artelinarose

More social options, honestly. There are four emotes and none of them ever really convey what I want.

The ability to type to talk to other people would be nice, too... I feel like a total dork when I'm running Devil's Lair or out and about and there's players nearby and all I can do is spam wave at them and point at a chest I want them to have, too. Just let me tell them "Hey, I found a chest." I won't do it with voice chat because immature boys on the internet will probably just say "yeah its on you lmao a/l are you hot?????"

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Zevvion

@humanity said:

@zevvion said:

@humanity said:

That is one of my issues which isn't necessarily just Destiny's problem - if it's purely an RPG then why is it in first person? What do we gain by being in the first person perspective if it's not going to play to any of the strengths that such a choice affords?

If it's honestly just an RPG, and incidentally I don't think it's purely an RPG although a majority of it is, then just put it in third person over the shoulder instead of crafting this elaborate illusion.

I'm not following you there. RPG's can't be first person because...?

I don't see the link between that. Borderlands is first person. Skyrim is first person. RPG's can be first person. The benefit is presentation. Third person is not the same as first person. If gives a different feel to the game which is what they are going for. Similarly, pure shooters can be third person. I don't see the logic.

But yeah, of course it is also a shooter. But it couldn't be more different from FarCry and Wolfenstein. Those are shooters with RPG elements. Destiny is an RPG in which you shoot stuff. Like Borderlands. The point is that you maximize your damage output with gear and skills. Being able to string takedowns together makes no sense in this type of game. Again, what you want is not what the game is. It's like saying you want Forza to have crashes and takedowns like Burnout, because you can also play it with a behind the car camera view. Just makes no sense.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Humanity

@zevvion said:

@humanity said:

@zevvion said:

@humanity said:

I'm not following you there. RPG's can't be first person because...?

I don't see the link between that. Borderlands is first person. Skyrim is first person. RPG's can be first person. The benefit is presentation. Third person is not the same as first person. If gives a different feel to the game which is what they are going for. Similarly, pure shooters can be third person. I don't see the logic.

But yeah, of course it is also a shooter. But it couldn't be more different from FarCry and Wolfenstein. Those are shooters with RPG elements. Destiny is an RPG in which you shoot stuff. Like Borderlands. The point is that you maximize your damage output with gear and skills. Being able to string takedowns together makes no sense in this type of game. Again, what you want is not what the game is. It's like saying you want Forza to have crashes and takedowns like Burnout, because you can also play it with a behind the car camera view. Just makes no sense.

There is a very clear benefit and intent with first person perspective gaming. It makes you feel like you're the character, which is beneficial in terms of an RPG. It also greatly improves the fidelity of aiming your weapon with the distinct purpose of placing precise shots. In a typical First Person Shooter this is good because you have the holy trifecta of head, torso and limbs with the knowledge that a "baddie" will go down with a single headshot or several chest hits. When you have an RPG where damage output is not determined by your skill to shoot but rather by the numbers attached to your weapon the entire premise of being in that perspective is diluted. Normally you cannot take many hits and you run around franticaly going for 1-kill headshots. There is no point when every enemy will take bonus damage from headshots but won't necessarily die from them. The dynamic aspect of that perspective is gone.

I never said an RPG can't be a first person game, so you misunderstood me there. My link between FPS and RPG gametypes is that when you lose out on the twitch aspect of first person shooting the benefit of being in that view is lost. RPG's are about abilities management and a certain amount of multitasking which is why they play out so well in overhead camera modes because you need a better sense of the battlefield to plan out your attacks with abilities in mind. When thrust down to ground level into the first person you lose out on all the benefits of overhead view planning and gain zero benefits from first person aiming.

Sure it works, I'm just saying it's not ideal and almost counter-intuitive. Not to mention (like I said earlier in the thread) when I play an RPG with a ton of dress-up and player customization I usually want to see myself because it's part of the power fantasy - seeing how far you've come from the starting gear with your awesome flaming sword and spikey armor etc. Once again in first person you lose out on that, and yes I'm aware that in towns it switches to a third person view, which begs the question of why? So you can see your guy? So why not just make the whole game in third person which incidentally would show off some of the special abilities better in combat? I just don't see a good reason for why this is a first person shooty games.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Seppli

@themanwithnoplan said:

The thing I love the most is the movement of the Warlock. Getting across a map is super fun when you can leap huge bounds by gliding. There's a real verticality with that class I'm afraid doesn't transfer to the other two. As far as the combat, it's pretty good. The moment to moment is satisfying and the loot aspect isn't as in your face as a borderlands.

The hub is aesthetically nice too. The music that plays there gives me a warm fuzzy feeling anytime I hear it, and the clouds that wash through the area is a nice touch. Seeing the ships come and land, and actually have people warp out of them makes the hub seem busy in a way I can appreciate. One of the only complaints I have is the long spans of time I've went without running into people. (Which I could probably chock up to it being an alpha)

I'll start out into an area and see like five people. I'll run up to them and we'll all go into a single direction, but as soon as we hit a certain "gate" they disappear into the ether. It's always within a structure. It seems the only place you can fight with other people, not in your party, is the wide open spaces. Otherwise you have to party up, which kind of ruins that part for me. I'm traditionally a loner when I play games, but running into people in the game and briefly teaming up was a really exciting idea for the game in my mind. If I could change anything to be toward my liking it'd be that. To let the entire game world be a zone to run into people. I'd love to be running through a structure, start fighting a group of enemies only to have another couple people come out of the woodworks and fight with me.

Anyways, I really like the game so far and I can't wait to see the other planet's we get to go to. One of the things I've been most surprised about is the seemingly endless scope of the levels. I explored the main part of Old russia for hours and never found a dead end. If you looked hard enough you still find another area to go to. I went so far, at one point I encountered a squad of anointed acolytes underground in the darkness that just had question marks by their names. They had gold heath and seemed invincible or practically god like compared to my level. I'm assuming that was Bungie's way of gating me there so I couldn't continue. They really devoted a lot of time and resources to making the scope of the environments huge. At least that the feeling I get from what I've played.

To give an idea of how long the alpha stretches, at this point I've done everything that wasn't a recycled side quest. I did all that in one sitting and made it to level seven. Looking forward to the beta next month to see how expanded the game is compared to now, and also the main game as well.

Edit: I confirmed that the other classes have the glide ability as well.

Actually most players find the glide ability comparatively bad. I first played a Hunter, whom get the double jump ability, which is a lot more useful and reliable. Dunno how the glide ability evolves over time, but it starts out rather weak in my opinion. Aggravatingly so.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Humanity

@zevvion: Also if we must use car comparisons then Destiny being a first person RPG is like making a destruction derby game thats cockpit view only. Sure you can do it, but it defeats the purpose. In a destruction derby you want to see how badly your car gets banged up and you lose that by being forced to play in first person cockpit view. You also lose out on situational awareness by not having the camera outside your car. At the same time it's not really a driving intensive game so you don't really get anything out of being in the cockpit anyway.

EDIT: But I realize I've been beating this same drum for a while now so I'll just stop. To those that love it hey I'm glad for you. I will also give the game a good ol' fashioned college try. Hopefully it will change my mind who knows.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Seppli

@themanwithnoplan:

Ohhh... just figured out how to use *Glide*. Double-tap as quickly as possible to utilize the full kinetic force of the jump, and then it acts like a super-jump. Pretty darn neat. If only the Warlock wouldn't stop gliding when attacking from mid air. That'd be hella swell.

I guess many people dislike glide, because it's never properly explained. I've been going for like two hours before figuring it out on accident.

Guess that's gonna be super-useful in PvP. Just leaping everywhere, attacking people from angles they don't expect.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Zevvion

@humanity: The game goes into third person for several special abilities to showcase them. The game is not in third person, simply because as I said, first person invokes a different feel. It also plays different. I guess you can dislike it all you want, but it plays really, really well in first person and I can't imagine it would play this well in third person. It's simply not that kind of game. And of course there is a point in doing headshots and other critical shots. Go and try the Strike without aiming for the small critical spots on the enemies. Especially the last one. It will take you more than an hour to defeat if you won't hit it in its eye.

The game purposefully is first person. It's not an oversight. It kind of sounds like you just haven't played enough of it. Of course, it's cheap to say that, but that's the sense I get. Otherwise, I guess it's just not your thing maybe? You prefer RPG's in third person perhaps. That's valid. But I like it how it is. Works really well.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

Since I've spent more time than is probably healthy absorbing every scrap of info I can on this game since it was first announced, I figured I would respond to some of you with information about some of things you guys are hoping to see in the game.

@seppli: In the full game there will be other movements abilities available (as part of the other subclasses), and I'm 99% sure I remember things like a dash and short range teleport being among them.

@theht: Every subclass has an upgradable melee ability and there have been rumors that swords will part of the full game. Knives are on display in the alpha, with a hunter upgrade allowing you to throw them.

@believer258: Agility is a stat for all characters which determines your movement speed and can be upgraded as you level up, with the hunter being the most agile of the three classes.

@ares42: Whether you're in a mission or just roaming about the world doesn't matter, you will always be seeing other players doing their thing and public events can occur at any time.

@pweidman: You can unlock more supers as you level up and different subclasses (which aren't part of the alpha) have different abilities as well (including movement, super, melee, and grenade). You will also have the option to fully commit to a subclass, permanently preventing you from being able to change to another but also opening new high level aspects of the class.

@professoress: There are definitely support oriented subclasses as part of the full game.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Be out, in my apartment, inside a PS4, and hooked up to a giant tv.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: I meant a dash/evade move more in the sense of an additive maneuver that's always present for every class, not something that'll replace jump.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli: It's still bad compared to the Jump Pack or Double Jump though and very difficult to time your landings without a lot of practice. I do agree I wish they'd let you aim while jumping as that it make it stand out compared to the Titan's class.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@seppli said:

@themanwithnoplan:

Ohhh... just figured out how to use *Glide*. Double-tap as quickly as possible to utilize the full kinetic force of the jump, and then it acts like a super-jump. Pretty darn neat. If only the Warlock wouldn't stop gliding when attacking from mid air. That'd be hella swell.

I guess many people dislike glide, because it's never properly explained. I've been going for like two hours before figuring it out on accident.

Guess that's gonna be super-useful in PvP. Just leaping everywhere, attacking people from angles they don't expect.

Yeah, hopefully they explain that better in the full game, because like you I went awhile without figuring it out, but when I did it became very useful.

dbzgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Space flight simulator for sure. Would be so much fun

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like a true single player mode. Where I don't have to see other players, or have them auto added to a party. An offline mode I guess. And in that mode they turn down the boss difficulty since it would only be one person.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Interest me. :/

TechDemoTREX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish the story missions worked like a real single player game. That respawn mechanic is a real bummer for narrative drive.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A chat log would be nice.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#75  Edited By jay_ray

Space combat

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Seppli

@zirilius said:

@seppli: It's still bad compared to the Jump Pack or Double Jump though and very difficult to time your landings without a lot of practice. I do agree I wish they'd let you aim while jumping as that it make it stand out compared to the Titan's class.

You can hit the jump button again to stop gliding at any time you wish. Pretty soon you'll unlock the ability to steer while gliding. From a pure mobility point of view, gliding seems like the most empowering power to me. I guess the hunter's triple jump will be amazing, especially if the game lets me bind jump to a shoulder button, since the upgraded double jump can go in any direction. Zig zagging mid-air like Dante.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Come out this Tuesday!

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Destiny. It doesn't do windows.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

@zirilius said:

You can hit the jump button again to stop gliding at any time you wish. Pretty soon you'll unlock the ability to steer while gliding. From a pure mobility point of view, gliding seems like the most empowering power to me. I guess the hunter's triple jump will be amazing, especially if the game lets me bind jump to a shoulder button, since the upgraded double jump can go in any direction. Zig zagging mid-air like Dante.

Yeah I know but your momentum still carries you sometimes causing you to overshoot. Only really sucks when you are trying to hit the smaller boxes or platforms. I just unlocked the steering right towards the end and that does pretty much fix the majority of my issues with it. I wish they'd let you aim while gliding still but overall my issues were minimal as I was willing to put the time into learning how the mechanic worked. I still think its the worst jump to learn of the three to learn.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else find the Tower too dark? It's an interior environment the size of a small town but its lite like the interior of space ship. It should be more Citadel than Normandy.

In general some of the areas are too dark without poor environmental cues for ledges. In the strike section where you are decoding the mesh there is a camp spot on a broken metal ledge that I missed jumping onto at least half a dozen times because I couldn't see it while shit was exploding around me. I don't need this to be Tomb Raider where every grapple point is color coded, but there were a bunch of points where I didn't understand if I could get on top of a rock or ledge. I think the game also desperately needs a grapple or mantle mechanic. I would boost to a ledge only to barely miss and fall back.

EternalMesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatball: I assume it's intentional since he's playing an AI

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

Replacing Peter Dinklage (sp?). I'm really enjoying what I've played so far, but he's giving off the most stale performance you could imagine. I'm not sure if it's intentional or what, but it's pretty bad.

Totally agree. I think that was my first critique of the game. I said to myself "I hope they change the voice acting for the final performance". Here's hoping it's just a sort of placeholder for the final game.

I've heard that it is actually place holder. They just placed it in the Alpha but the real on is supposedly a lot better. We'll see.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#83  Edited By sarahsdad

I'd like a map, or an option for waypoints to be either temporary or always on. maybe it won't matter so much once I learn level layouts, but as it is, popping the ghost every few seconds can get old.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#84 fisk0  Moderator

I wish it would stick to one perspective, preferably first person perspective all the way. I really don't like it when games jump to third person when you use vehicles, or as in the case with Destiny, use your special ability or even visit the hub city.

koolaid39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like a map, or an option for waypoints to be either temporary or always on. maybe it won't matter so much once I learn level layouts, but as it is, popping the ghost every few seconds can get old.

Totally this. A map would help wonders.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@turboman said:

Replacing Peter Dinklage (sp?). I'm really enjoying what I've played so far, but he's giving off the most stale performance you could imagine. I'm not sure if it's intentional or what, but it's pretty bad.

He is a robot...and let's be realistic... the director in the booth was the one giving direction to Dinklage. The actor doesn't matter in this case, when the director wants a flat voice robot performance that's what any actor will give - unless they feel like fighting someone in a booth for six hours.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#87  Edited By monkeyking1969

What could it do...??

Well, it could load faster. Those loads they are trying to hide behind your ship in orbit are hidden so poorly as to be worthless.

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't do it with voice chat because immature boys on the internet will probably just say "yeah its on you lmao a/l are you hot?????"

lol, That's... okay maybe I'm a bad person for laughing but I've never heard that one before.

Avatar image for joeyeatszombies
    JoeyEatsZombies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While playing a story mission with a friend in alpha, it added a third man to our party. I think that is pretty annoying and I could not find a way around it. I am sure a lot will change from the alpha though. Plus I could have just missed something haha

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zirilius said:

@seppli said:

@zirilius said:

Yeah I know but your momentum still carries you sometimes causing you to overshoot. Only really sucks when you are trying to hit the smaller boxes or platforms. I just unlocked the steering right towards the end and that does pretty much fix the majority of my issues with it. I wish they'd let you aim while gliding still but overall my issues were minimal as I was willing to put the time into learning how the mechanic worked. I still think its the worst jump to learn of the three to learn.

If you hit jump a third time it cancels the glide.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I feel like some people are looking for a completely different game based on some of the suggestions given here...

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#92  Edited By me3639

@syndrom:

The first thing i noticed also. That movement has nothing but mouse and kb written all over it.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wish it had an FOV slider and the ability to rotate your character in character creation. Otherwise?... ... Man the spider tanks are a little op. I guess those things count.

@aetheldod said:

Play like Halo ... what I mean is the combat being skilled based ... not number/stat /loot based , or something along those lines , I mean I dont need carbon copy of Halo but I always liked having to change weapons and do with what is available on the combat scenario. Im still waiting to see if the story is good or if the sidequest go beyond what seems to be heavily mmo inspired.

You haven't seen the pvp. In pvp all level and gear advantages are disabled and everyone is tuned to the same "stats". So yeah, you get some different skills based on your unlocks but if a level 3 guy with raw starter gear is playing really well he is fully capable of owning a level 8 and getting a good kill streak. PVP even includes vehicles, just like halo. Most of the vids don't show weapon depth. I have seen rocket launchers, snipers, shotguns, charge shot rifles, fully auto rifles, 3 shot bursts, etc etc etc. Plenty of weapon depth.

@themanwithnoplan: There is only one area in Old Russia you can't reach in explore mode. It is called King's something.... You can actually get to the entrance but it is blocked off by two doors you can't open. I would verify the exact name of the area since you can see it from the "earth" map but the Alpha just ended like 5 minutes ago. ;-; Sadface...

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not in the Alpha, and I think they're going to have it in the full game, but ship combat and vehicle combat. I noticed that the ships and speeders have durability ratings, so maybe that will be in the final game.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not in the Alpha, and I think they're going to have it in the full game, but ship combat and vehicle combat. I noticed that the ships and speeders have durability ratings, so maybe that will be in the final game.

They did have vehicle combat in alpha. In pvp there were multiple vehicles you could use and you could find a rare fallen attack bike called a "Pike" here and there in the forgotten coast section of Old Russia. It handled badly and wasn't as fast as the Sparrow .... but it had guns!

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I vote for ledge grabs too. Granted it's not a big deal.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zirilius said:

@seppli said:

@zirilius said:

If you hit jump a third time it cancels the glide.

If you had read my post you'd see that in my first sentence I said

Yeah I know but your momentum still carries you sometimes causing you to overshoot.

Stopping the glide doesn't instantly stop the games physic's from working.

Avatar image for deactivated-613c903ddf820
    deactivated-613c903ddf820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Make money.

Also I don't know what people dislike about the voice acting, I think it's fine. I like Peter Dinklage's robot voice.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By EthanielRain

@zirilius Wow, yeah I completely whiffed on that conversation. In my defense, I've been on pain medication the past couple of days!

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Zirilius

@ethanielrain: No worries man! We all have lapses in reading comprehension from time to time. must have been some good stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.