Why is My Tower So Empty? (Alpha)

#1 Posted by Tearhead (2214 posts) -

So, I've been loving the Destiny alpha so far, the only issue I'm having is a serious lack of other player characters. Whenever I go to the Tower it's completely empty, not a single soul. Out in the wild is not much different, as I will see maybe one or two people who will appear and disappear randomly, but no more than that.

I know it's an alpha, and things may change later on, but after jumping into someone else's game and seeing the Tower packed with players, I'm really curious as to why it's desolate when I'm playing alone. Is it because of where I live? Do I have some option set to private?

#2 Posted by SadPatrol (502 posts) -

Same here. Not one single person in my tower but with a friend it was full. It's depressing, I hope it's just a bug in the alpha.

#3 Posted by SomeJerk (3393 posts) -

My first character gets a boatload of characters in his tower, but the other two never get a single person. Both are maxed out.

#4 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1934 posts) -

Weird, it's always jam packed for me. I hate to be "that guy," but what's your NAT situation?

#5 Posted by FinalDasa (2065 posts) -

I saw on the Bungie twitter they know it's a problem and are working on it. Seems this alpha, or beta, or whatever is actually a serious beta to work out some network bugs.

#6 Posted by SadPatrol (502 posts) -
#7 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1934 posts) -

@ll_exile_ll: How would I check that?

Some games tell you, I don't think Destiny does. Is it something you've had a problem with in the past?

#8 Posted by Variable_ (33 posts) -

@ll_exile_ll: It seems like it could be more of a server side issue, I've had it happen to me twice when I've gone back to the tower. One of the times it cleared up after I backed out of talking to a vendor.

#9 Posted by SadPatrol (502 posts) -

@ll_exile_ll: No I haven't. On my xbox it's open, I don't think that means anything though.

#10 Posted by mrfluke (5347 posts) -

yea sometimes its full sometimes its empty, that area looks fantastic though so i dont mind.

#11 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (468 posts) -

I find it to be about a 50/50 shot whether or not there are other players around. Probably just a pre-release issue.

#12 Posted by TurboMan (7734 posts) -

There's always like 30+ people (dunno what the cap is) jumping around The Tower whenever I'm there, but only like 3 people in the explore section :(

#13 Posted by Zella (827 posts) -

I either have no one else there or it is full of people, more often the former. Probably just Alpha stuff, I see plenty of people in world so it doesn't bother me at all.

#14 Edited by insane_shadowblade85 (1530 posts) -

Yeah, my tower is really empty but my explore mode map usually has at least 3 - 4 people running around. I miss seeing people jumping in town!

#15 Posted by dropabombonit (1492 posts) -

Yeah the first couple of times I went there I did not see any other players but the 2 times after that it was full of people

#16 Edited by Demoskinos (15157 posts) -

@sadpatrol: Go to network on PS4 settings then do internet connection test one of the things you will see is a NAT setting. It can be either Type 1, Type 2 or Type 3. Ideally you want Type 2 (open).

#17 Edited by bslayer (220 posts) -

It happens to me occasionally as well. But after exploring for a bit its repopulated. Also as a side note: there is a bouncy ball near the bounty guy that you can kick around. Its near the crates next to him. Its fun trying to get other people to mess around with it with you.

#18 Posted by SadPatrol (502 posts) -

@demoskinos: Thanks! I do have a type 2 nat. It must be server side as others have mentioned. Oh well.

#19 Posted by Irvandus (2886 posts) -

@bslayer: Revolutionary gameplay. I'm not even sure if I'm joking about that or not.

#20 Posted by ripelivejam (4874 posts) -

i like how now i'm hearing about goofy MMO shit happening in this game when up until now it seemed a deadly serious affair.

#21 Posted by bslayer (220 posts) -
#22 Posted by Dussck (353 posts) -

It took me about 2/3 hours to witness anyone in the game, not just the tower but in the game itself as well. After that it was flooded with people,

#23 Posted by Jesus_Phish (1152 posts) -

@turboman: The cap is 18. My friend tried to join my fireteam while I was on the Tower and it told him that the Tower was at 18/18 players. The most I've seen is about 6?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.