Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Your 'gut-feel' rating of the game so far...

• 66 results
    extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

Poll Your 'gut-feel' rating of the game so far... (443 votes)

5 stars 5%
    4 stars 32%
    3 stars 55%
    2 stars 6%
    1 star 2%

Bungie PR has asked for patience from players before judging their game, and for the reviewers to hold back before putting out a score.

That makes a degree of sense given the nature of the game...All we can really do at this point is indicate how positively we feel about what we've played so far.

So until we get the considered view of this and other review websites, for those that have been playing it, what are your individual gut feelings towards this game?

• 
    caskstrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just to add to @kjebka's post. If you actually read the grimoire, the lore is pretty sweet in there! I mean, some of the named enemies I killed during the missions I didn't even see their name or understand why I was killing them. Go to the grimoire and it's like "This badass basically destroyed all of this US city by itself and is greatly feared by all." I'm like really? Why didn't my ghost tell me that?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

4 stars. It's everything I like about Borderlands with all the stuff I don't like about it (the godawful "humour" and the shared loot) stripped out and set on fire. It feels amazing and it's very pretty even on PS3.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

As the game is right now it's a 4/5 for me as I'm having a blast with friends but if they decide to stop playing for whatever reason I really can't see myself continuing to grind by myself, especially when other games start coming out.

Once Advanced Warfare comes out Destiny will likely fall to the background as the go-to multiplayer shooter that I play with friends in our free time.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Was it...hidden DLC content we will pay for but not see for weeks? I hope not.

Considering the two expansion DLCs are up on the store at 9.5 MB each....yeah.

FajitaBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By FajitaBoss

As much as I want to like this, I just can't get into it... kinda bored my already:

- Missions are pretty much the same

- Getting back to the same area over and over to kill a diferent bunch of mobs.. he not fun

- Combat is kind of the same

- Loot is not that varied nor that interesting to play with, little stats.. not meaningful

- Lore is nonsensical

- Self serious tone is dorky and annoying

- Lack of matchmaking for key activities is WTF?

- Not liking the unispiring weapon desing, most assault rifles feel the same, other than the stat boost no weapon is memorable.

For a game that is supose to be like the biggest game ever and stuff, it feels very contrived, monotonous and flat. It may be my personal bias as I usually don't like loot driven games with shooters (contradictory design), Yet this being Bungie I was expecting more I guess.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I think its a 4 if you're willing to engage with the multiplayer elements, a 3 otherwise. As someone who hates every console shooter (but Vanquish), I'm amazed at how great the shooting in Destiny feels with a controller.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 25

it's very fun. i'm having a fantastic time. the only other game i spent this much time with and got this into this year was mario kart 8. so 5 stars.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

For me, 3 stars. I never got into borderlands. I like RPGs and Loot games with more self serious stories, don't know why. But I can recognize this game is missing a lot of the more diverse loot and customization of other RPGs or even shooters. The shooting is great. Story seems serious enough but really stretching for this epic feeling. The darkness? The areas are good but feel like the patrol doesn't good a good enough job of telling you not to take on missions that will just get you killed.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I put a 4 because I genuinely don't think there's anything offensively bad about the game. I am underwhelmed, especially after all the positive press and Beta user opinions this summer. But it's not bad. I think the story is still better than other games I've played in the past year. I'd say the story feels like the first half of a Call of Duty campaign: it has all the set up without any of the big action, betrayal, or drama. As a shooter, it's great. They fixed some things about the Halo gunplay that I dislike. As far as the "loot", it's not loot. Loot is when stuff falls in combat. This is more like "collectibles" and store stuff. I think the weapon variation and quantity is more on point with Mass Effect, rather than Borderlands (which I'd hoped). Also, 4 locations? Why can't I go to Pluto?!?!

Seriously, if they had added the whole solar system and made it longer with some "space magic drama" then it would be great. Halo's story was just "run here, shoot things, repeat", but there were lots of environments, big set pieces, and drama. This feels very much like part one of a multi-game arc, but a very slow part one. Like The Fellowship of the Ring.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@l33t_haxor: You can just open this link in an incognito window (or log out and revisit the thread), and the results will be right there.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I put a 4 because I genuinely don't think there's anything offensively bad about the game. I am underwhelmed, especially after all the positive press and Beta user opinions this summer. But it's not bad. I think the story is still better than other games I've played in the past year. I'd say the story feels like the first half of a Call of Duty campaign: it has all the set up without any of the big action, betrayal, or drama. As a shooter, it's great. They fixed some things about the Halo gunplay that I dislike. As far as the "loot", it's not loot. Loot is when stuff falls in combat. This is more like "collectibles" and store stuff. I think the weapon variation and quantity is more on point with Mass Effect, rather than Borderlands (which I'd hoped). Also, 4 locations? Why can't I go to Pluto?!?!

Seriously, if they had added the whole solar system and made it longer with some "space magic drama" then it would be great. Halo's story was just "run here, shoot things, repeat", but there were lots of environments, big set pieces, and drama. This feels very much like part one of a multi-game arc, but a very slow part one. Like The Fellowship of the Ring.

This is pretty spot on. The game is damn fun, there's just not a lot here and the absence is glaring.

I really like it when I'm playing (except when it's loading) but it's just blowing my mind how fast I'm plowing through it.

The best analogy for this game is a fancy restaurant. The food is great but the portions are lacking.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Whitestripes09

I gave it a 4 because I've been playing it non stop and I'm still having fun. The gameplay is really addicting and fun, for me it doesn't feel stale yet even though I just got to level 20 and I'm now in for a big grind for better loot. The story doesn't bother me as much as others I guess. I kind of enjoyed how the game didn't have an excruciatingly long intro that talked about every event from finding the traveler to the game's current time line. It was pretty refreshing to see a game that just gives you enough to get going. It's pretty great though to see that there is some sort of backstory and lore to everything, but I don't think it's right that you have to download a companion app or log onto a website to view it. I would have much preferred some sort of encyclopedia like Mass Effect that's in game.

I'm curious to see what kind of events we're going to see from Bungie. Obviously there are some things they haven't been activated in yet like raids and more crucible stuff, but as far as events go I wonder if we'll see Holiday events with specific gear like all mmos seem to do or if we're going to get new areas to explore. I think a lot of people would like to see more of Earth since we just get that small area in Russia. Spoilerish, I remember seeing something about a colony on Jupiter, hopefully we'll see that sometime in this game and then of course there is the fact that supposedly Mercury has been transformed into a machine world by the Vex.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not worth playing if you play alone or playing with strangers. So with that caveat its ok

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems like another Watch Dogs, just from what I'm hearing and reading. I don't think I'll be buying it.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I just wanted a Halo MMO, it clearly isn't that so.. meh..

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Tyrrael

It seems like a solid 4 to me. The shooting is extremely satisfying, but there are a lot of facets to the gameplay and structure, outside the core shooting, that could have been polished and improved which would have earned the game a 5. The thing that really gets me is that a solid 5 could have been achieved with just a bit more polish like I mentioned, however, a 4 is still a damn good score, and it was a solid purchase as far as I'm concerned. I can see myself playing it a lot, and if I ever get bored, I can just try a different class. The hunter, so far, has been very fun, and I can't wait unlock some more skills.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#68  Edited By extintor

I started off thinking 4, then dropped down to 3 when I realized just how hollow some elements to the game's story felt... but after playing a lot online with friends it feels like a 4 again. I'm definitely much more positive on this game than I was when I'd played 10 hrs of Watch Dogs and Titanfall. Destiny is definitely a little bit 'stickier' (to borrow Jeff's term) at this point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.