Destroy All Humans! Big Willy Unleashed is an open-world, action-adventure game developed by Locomotive Games and published by THQ for the Wii. It was released on February 25th 2008 in North America, March 6th in Australia and March 7th in Europe. A PlayStation 2 version was originally planned to be released alongside the Wii release but was cancelled due to budget cuts. A version of the game was also planned for the PlayStation Portable but was also cancelled due to "control issues" involved with transferring the controls to the handheld system.
The game is set in 1975, before the events of Destroy All Humans! Path of the Furon but 8 years after Destroy All Humans! 2. The plot follows Cryptosporidium 138, Crypto, and his mentor, Orthopox 13, as they attempt to support and defend the Big Willy food franchise, a fast-food franchise which Orthopox owns, against the attacks from fast-food rival, Colonel Kluckin.
The Big Willy restaurant chain which Pox uses as a front to dispose of the bodies that Crypto has killed is in the process of opening it's 500th location at the offset of the game when the franchise is attacked by an uprising of hippie protesters lead by Patty Wurst, a spoiled heiress who is rebelling against her father by working for Colonel Kluckin to take down the Big Willy fast-food franchise. Once Crypto deals with Wurst, he then goes in search of the Colonel, the mastermind behind the scheme to destroy the rival franchise.
Once the Colonel is dealt with at the end of the game, Pox claims that he's finished with the fast food industry. Although angered by Pox giving up abruptly after the defeat of the Colonel, Crypto gleefully takes the profits from the business telling Pox that he'll make all future transactions from now on starting with an idea that involves a "little town in Nevada".
The gameplay is follows that of the previous games in the series which combines GTA's open-world with Ratchet & Clank's gameplay.
There are four locations in the game which act as the open-world environment for players to accept missions and side-quests or track down the collectibles that are scattered throughout each of the locations.
The locations are:
- Harbor City - loosely based off Staten Island, New York, Harbor City is located where New York state would be and the location of the original Big Willy restaurant. Here you fight Patty Wurst, inspired by the 1970's brainwashed heiress Patty Hearst, as she attempts to destroy the Big Willy franchise.
- Fairfield - loosely based on rural Pennsylvania, this is the second location visited in the game where you fight off the notorious gang the Roller Girls who have began working for Colonel Kluckin.
- Fantasy Atoll - as the name suggests this is an atoll located where Indonesia and the Pacific Islands would be, the atoll is owned by a Mr Pork and is an island retreat inspired by 1970's TV shows such as The Love Boat and Fantasy Island.
- Vietmahl - clearly inspired by Vietnam, Vietmahl is the final location in the game and the home of Colonel Kluckin's headquarters.
Crypto's arsenal includes a mixture of weapons from the previous games such as the Zap-O-Matic, Anal Probe and Ion Detonator but also features new weapons such as a Zombie Gun.
He also has access to his saucer which retains it's weapons from the previous games of a Death Ray, Electro-Cone, Quantum Deconstructor and Sonic Boom. The weapons no longer require ammunition as was the case in the previous games but rather require a period to cool-down and recharge after they have been used. Finally the saucer can also disguise itself as a Big Willy blimp and there are several other skins for the blimp which are unlocked as you progress through the game.
Finally, Crypto can take control of the Big Willy mech, which has it's own assortment of weapons and abilities. It's weapons include a Heat Beam, the Wind Breaker (which is a shock wave produced when Big Willy flatulates) and Regurge A Tron (an attack in which Big Willy vomits acid). The robot can also be used to pick up items to use as either a throw or smash attack and humans can be grabbed and squeezed until their brain pops out which when consumed by Big Willy gives a power boost which slowly drains as the various weapons are used.
- Apparently the music used in the game was taken directly from Destroy All Humans! Path of the Furon without the developers, Sandblast Games, realizing it.
- A Big Willy bobble head was released as an item of merchandise alongside the game.