Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

A Duder's Perspective: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

dkessler175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dkessler175

The first AAA game for the Duder's Perspective is Deus Ex: Human Revolution which is conveniently available on 360, PS3, PC and even Wii U. I look forward to hear everyone's opening thoughts to this game on Sunday! (7/19)

Want to find out more about the Duder's Perspective Book Club? check it out HERE

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By monetarydread

I just started replaying the game last week. I look forward to seeing how others are enjoying the experience.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I'm assuming we're playing the director's cut version?

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

Question to those who happen to know. My options are limited to the console versions of the game (meaning PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U). Which is the version to play? I'm mainly looking for the version with the least technical problems.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By meteora3255

How far in are we playing? I didn't see any mention of a chapter/section/level in either thread.

Maf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started playing this game last week as well, I'm around chapter 10 according to the loading screens. Should we hold off on gameplay/story discussion until the weekend?

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maf03: i think the idea is every so often we will all check in with where everyone is at. Doesn't seem like we aren't starting discussions until this weekend (gives people time to actually get the game if they don't have it)

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

Ok I have installed the base version of the game since Directors Cut is 10GB larger and I have no free disk space.

Looking forward to replaying this one since I haven't touched it after beating it in the release week.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

So are we just playing as much as we can/want and then talking or is there a point we should get to and then stop? Sorry for asking the same question again but I am not sure if/when I should stop playing.

dkessler175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The wiki for Deus Ex suggests the game may be broken up by locations so for this first week why don't we try to play up until montreal? I've never played it before so I'm not sure how long that goes

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@dkessler175: It's been a long time since I played Deus Ex, but I would suggest playing until the first boss goes down. You'll know it when it happens.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, just so everyone knows, Deus Ex is on sale for 3.74 on Xbox Live this week. Some timing huh?

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Question to those who happen to know. My options are limited to the console versions of the game (meaning PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U). Which is the version to play? I'm mainly looking for the version with the least technical problems.

Wii U seems to be the best version of the Director's Cut

The PS360 versions were farmed out to some random SE interns, and as a result, are filled with issues not present in the vanilla version.

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

@mortuss_zero: unfortunatly only at that price if you have Xbox Live Gold.

Update: good news to those who don't have Xbox Live Gold. Gamestop is selling this (the original. Not the Director's Cut) used at 2.99.

robbparris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Woo! Will download when I get home from work ^_^

IrishFighter38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By IrishFighter38

I've been reading up on the Director's Cut and it seems to have some serious issues in addition to improvements on the base game. (Or at least it did on release.) What's the consensus here? Should a first time player start with the original or go to Director's Cut? I'm going to be playing Xbox 360 as well.

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

@irishfighter38: I personally decided to go the least expensive route and got a $3 used copy of the original game.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irishfighter38: what are some of the serious issues that you read about? As far as I know a lot of the bugs on the 360 have been patched since release. I've only finished the original "cut" but the improvements and extras on the Director's Cut sound pretty good.

IrishFighter38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

OH MY GLOB IVE BEEN WANTING TO TALK ABOUT THIS FOR DAYS.

Well I've only had enough time to get past the first mission with the hostages and the bomb and there are just a few things I can say about the game. (Also playing Xbox 360, non directors cut version)

I absolutely hate how this game controls. I really wish this could have stayed either a third person shooter or first person. Changing perspectives so frequently between movement and when you are huging the wall has been so jarring. Also making the button non bindable has been a nightmare. Who the hell puts iron sights on clicking in the left thumbstick? Ugh. Also Jensen is a little too fragile for my liking. I'm playing on normal and he easily goes down 4 to 5 hits.

Besides that I'm not really that invested in whats going on in the story. Jensen seems like he's just a super boring character putting on as gruff as a voice as possible. I do like how his glasses pop up from the side of his face from his augments. Thats pretty rad at least.

Honestly I'm not having to great of a time so far but I'm gonna keep pushing forward to find out if it indeed gets any better for me. I hope by then I at least get used to the controls.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

I'm about six hours in so far, playing the non-directors cut edition, and I'm enjoying it a lot. I'll try to put more hours in after EVO. Maybe hours aren't a good metric for this game though - I'm poking around sneakily (and creepily, reading people's emails!) and just taking my time with it. I'm at the morgue right now, if that helps.

OK, so, first of all: those stealth take downs. Holy shit. They're so brutal. I also kind of like how they limit you with the energy system - makes me avoid taking out every single person I see.

I've called bullshit a few times getting seen by people though - the stealth seems kind of unforgiving - probably gets easier the more stealth upgrades you get or maybe they intended for you to shoot fools in the face if you mess up the stealth. Either way, so far I've just been reloading my last save when I get seen... Oops?

Can't wait to hear more people's thoughts.

Jensen seems like he's just a super boring character

I felt the same way about Jensen at first - he just seemed like a standard gruff voiced action hero type guy. But I dunno. I've kind of grown to like him(?), and I think a lot of it is thanks to the dialogue system and manipulating people based on their personality types.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Finished it. I had given up 2 times before, but I finally made trough it. Previous times it was the controls that kept me enjoying this game, but as I started to play it again a week a go or so. I had forgotten that you can lean in to things, and because of that game felt better (strange, I know). Since my thoughts on the game are somewhat scattered, I will divide my opinions into categories.

Gameplay:

Controls were ok. Biggest problem was that most actions that you can perform, were tied to to your upgrades and your battery. The fact that battery does not reload past the first block without some additional aid, was really annoying. It meant that in some cases, I had to just stare at the walls and wait it to recharge. Items that recharge the battery past one bar were suspiciously rare in a world were there is either shop or vending machine behind every other corner. Situations where you needed your upgrades, were kind of unnatural, leaving me to save my upgrade points until I met a circumstances where I needed some special thing in order to proceed bit more easily.

8 Points in case I need to jump a fence or somebody farts in a room.
    8 Points in case I need to jump a fence or somebody farts in a room.

Inventory management was annoyingly big part of my play trough. I tried no kills/ no detection route, so ended up carrying non-lethal riffle, pistol and a shotgun. Since the first boss soaked in some many hits, for rest of the game two heavy weapons were added to the carry load. About the aforementioned battery, apparently only item that reloads few more bars is the same size as a assault shotgun and Adam Jensen can't eat anything that isn't in his pocket. While we are complaining, what kind of shop carries only 2 protein bars?

Thanks for putting that exploding barrel there so my stun blast kills everyone.
    Thanks for putting that exploding barrel there so my stun blast kills everyone.

Speaking of not killing anyone - I had to come into terms that this was not going to happen. About middle trough the game, I was backtracking and rechecked few baddies that I had stunned a good while ago with double take down. Surprisingly one of the was dead. Luckily I decided "so be it" since later stumbled on few instances where stunned guys died very easily due to exploding barrels/robots and such. Still, I decided to kill as few people as possible. No detections was more manageable, if I would used only take downs, but I didn't want to wait for the battery to recharge, so I had to use the stun gun. That weapon was bit random about whether it triggered detection or not. Other weapons behaved strangely too, like gas grenade would trigger full alert even if it stunned everybody in the room.

Characters:

Best part of the game was the characters. I really liked almost all the personalities in the game. Shame how the main bad guy is so cliched that you can spot him the second he appears.

World:

One of the big misses in this game. The world just never felt real. Movement in the cities was too constricted and the indoor levels were too identical. People and things looked too similar regardless of the place. Really, no one has a different log on splash screen in the future? Fact that every one you meet is always discussing something that relates directly what you are doing or to the plot points does not help the illusion one bit.

I hope the cops beate that dancer guy thoroughly.
    I hope the cops beate that dancer guy thoroughly.

Story:

Starts promising, feels good in the middle and falls flat in the end. After certain point, I could call every plot point that was to follow and was not surprised once. If it wasn't for the fact that pulling of stealthy take downs was very satisfying, I would not had the strength to continue. There is lot of stuff to go trough story-wise if you want go peoples emails, however most of it is bland. Most I enjoyed the story heavier side-mission and wished that there were more of those, instead of long corridors of the latter part of the game.

Hey, this mirror has a back story! Spoiler: it's replacement was in the warehouse all this time.
    Hey, this mirror has a back story! Spoiler: it's replacement was in the warehouse all this time.

The whole deal:

Kind of disappointment. I can see the potential, but the mix is just not right. I never felt like I could approach the situation any way you like and I never felt that I could influence the story. The whole game just felt bit too mechanical and cold - not enough heart (oh, the irony).

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm just bumping the topic to say I'm out of town this past week and until saturday, but once I get home I'm gonna start the director's edition and have stuff to add.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I had a much more detailed comment but the website ate it. Ugh

Well I've only had enough time to get past the first mission with the hostages and the bomb and there are just a few things I can say about the game. (Also playing Xbox 360, non directors cut version)

I absolutely hate how this game controls. I really wish this could have stayed either a third person shooter or first person. Changing perspectives so frequently between movement and when you are huging the wall has been so jarring. Also making the button non bindable has been a nightmare. Who the hell puts iron sights on clicking in the left thumbstick? Ugh. Also Jensen is a little too fragile for my liking. I'm playing on normal and he easily goes down 4 to 5 hits.

Totally with you man, which is why I ended up going the non lethal amount. The camera doesn't mess with me as much on takedowns as it does in gunfights.

Plus it actually seems easier that way too and I think the XP reward is higher? I'm playing on Deus Ex and so far it hasn't been that bad. I'm only to the Morgue though.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna have to skip the inaugural book club. I'm too consumed in other stuff, sorry guys!

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

Well this is an odd turn of events. The PS3 directors cut version is part of the PSN Flash sale right now. So now I found myself starting over again with this version instead. I'm not quite sure what the difference is now, but after replaying the first bit with the bomb/hostages on the directors cut I just feel like something kinda clicked. I have now started taking the more stealthy approach versus a gunho I'm-gonna-murder-these-fucks style I first started with. I am aware that one of the major differences between the original and the directors cut is that now ALL the batteries recharge instead of just the first one which makes playing with stealth much better.

To those mentioning inventory pains. So far it looks like Deus Ex just took the Resident Evil 4 approach to inventory management which I have never had a problem with.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just started playing the Director's Cut with the developers' commentary turned on. It's really good! They're honest even about things they're disappointed with, even about small details like Megan's idle animation, and it sounds very unscripted and conversational. It's not often that I hear dev commentaries of AAA games this casual (I can only think of Hideki Kamiya's Bayonetta videos.) I'm pretty excited to hear the rest of the game's commentaries. I'm playing on easy, so this is actually pretty relaxing.

Maf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've made it to the beginning of Montreal so far. The story is alright, pretty standard stuff. I am enjoying exploring around the levels and finding the different ways that you can access different areas. In a few cases, I've gone through most of an area and then discovered a shortcut that I could have taken that would have shaved 10-15 minutes off of traversing through the level.

I'm trying to stick to non-lethal methods (mostly hand-to-hand takedowns) unless I need to. For the times when things get messy, I've chosen a silenced pistol with the laser upgrade as my main weapon. It almost makes the game too easy since headshots are not difficult to pull off.

I was interested to see what the much-maligned boss fights were like. They are a little annoying since Jensen is as fragile as glass if you don't put points into defense, but I don't think they are that bad from what I've seen. After dying about 4 times on the first boss fight, I distracted him with a flash grenade, sneaked to the other end of the room, and fired about 4-5 sniper rifle rounds into his confused mug and it was over.

I'm enjoying the game so far and I think I'll stick with it until the end even though Rocket League is threatening to steal away all the time I have for video games.

mrroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope this is not too much of a necro, but I just tried playing this game again after having been pretty meh on it when it first came out. I played for a little over an hour and *really* disliked it.

Agreed with what folks have said about it controlling badly and the 1st/3rd person switch being unpleasant. I tried going the stealth route at first but it was just so boring to sit and do nothing while generic dudes walk around generic space. The checkpointing was really bad in that first mission (maybe it gets better later?), putting you several rooms back making the already dull gameplay repetitive (and then you get to sit and wait for the doors to get ready).

The guns feel bad, the takedowns look bad, the few characters I've met so far are uninteresting, the in-game tutorial videos are irritating, the hacking stuff is dumb. I tried to like some aspect of this, but couldn't.

Sorry for ranting. I am certainly not saying there's nothing to like here, just nothing for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.