Any Other Praxis [or skill points in general] Hoarders?

#1 Posted by Diachron (91 posts) -

So my general upgrade philosophy in all games is: Hoard Upgrade Points Until I:

• Better understand the relative effectiveness/need of each skill.
  • Am stymied and cannot proceed any further without upgrading something.
  • Maximize my min/max opportunities.

I should probably confess I sometimes just like hoarding points for the sake of hoarding them, but that's a different topic.

DE:HR is a great example-- with the exception of a few points spent early in the game, I've still managed to stall most upgrades and have not felt any significant pinch. This includes all social battles, alternate objectives, etc. Now, that's probably more of a statement on the true efficacy of upgrades in this game, but I'm curious what your own general upgrade philosophies tend to be.

About to start Tai Yong Medical mission in Shanghai.. Maybe I'll spend some points.
#2 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

Put points into Hacking Capture (level 5), Hacking: Fortify, lift heavy objects, recharge rate upgrade and get cones of vision.

#3 Posted by Legend (2659 posts) -

You're actually missing out on extra Praxis points by not unlocking certain augs like the Punch through Walls aug, and augs that make stealth and takedowns easier to do, thus, rewarding you with more XP. So yeah, the more Praxis points you spend, the more Praxis points you'll gain.

#4 Posted by Nadafinga (958 posts) -

@Diachron said:

So my general upgrade philosophy in all games is: Hoard Upgrade Points Until I:

• Am stymied and cannot proceed any further without upgrading something.

This is exactly what I did in Deus Ex HR. I routinely had up to 8-10 points just sitting there, and Usually spent them all in one spot when I needed to.

#5 Posted by Diachron (91 posts) -

@Legend said:

You're actually missing out on extra Praxis points by not unlocking certain augs like the Punch through Walls aug, and augs that make stealth and takedowns easier to do, thus, rewarding you with more XP. So yeah, the more Praxis points you spend, the more Praxis points you'll gain.

I didn't mean to imply I haven't spent ANY points. I quickly got to Hacking 5, Icarus Landing, Heavy Lifting, and Punch Through Walls (plus an extra set of inventory columns). However, once having gotten those (and heavily upgrading a 10mm with silencer, armor piercing, laser, etc).. most of the stress points melted away. To be frank, the most powerful augment in this game is the save/load anywhere system. ;)

But in any event I wasn't soliciting DE:HR upgrade advice-- I might have been too vague in my Subject header.

My real question was far more general: What do you think about, when you think about upgrades? (In all games). Maybe I shouldn't have made it so DE:HR specific, heh.

#6 Edited by Getz (3004 posts) -

Jesus Christ, that's a lot of points. To answer you question, no I don't: I'm the exact opposite. I get so pumped up when I ding that I have to spend my points immediately on something. I usually read the tool-tips (or in the case of a really complex RPG, the manual) thoroughly before I make the decision though. Nothing worse than being gimped after dumping 5 hours in to the game (I'm looking at you Oblivion)

#7 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -

I'll take your points from you if you don't want them.

#8 Posted by Binman88 (3687 posts) -

I think I had 3 at one point, but they're really meant to be spent so it doesn't make sense to hoard them. I made sure to go for the augments that opened up the most paths to me.

#9 Edited by AndrewB (7610 posts) -

I had 14 at the end of the game, but I also had every skill that fit my play style maxed out. I'm playing through Deus Ex (the first game) right now, and haven't spent a single skill point I've earned so far besides the initial ones. Always holding out for when I feel like I need them, but... I haven't needed them.

I think hoarding Praxis in the early game in Human Revolution is a must, spending only as you come across obstacles (like doors to hack) that are necessary to progress even side missions. At a certain point you might as well start spending, otherwise you'll end up like me. Again, not that I had any problems beating the game, but if you don't use them, they go to waste.

#10 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I think a good philosophy is to have a few laying around. It saved my ass during the 2nd boss battle since I could get the  SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.. 

Other than that, I think a run using only cones of vision could be really successful. Can't believe I went through nearly half the game without that. Hardly needed the cloaking skin upgrade after getting it.

#11 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Not really, no. I mean, I don't use the point immediately sometimes, but I certainly don't hoard them. Most of the time, anyway. Oh, and great avatar.

#12 Posted by HellBrendy (994 posts) -

The backdraw Op seems to have missed about games with multiple paths to the target is that non of the targets requires a special skill - everyone is always accessible in an esy way just because the developer can't tie something to just one skill.

To take Deus Ex HR as an example, you can choose not to hack - in other words, important doors are either always working, or at level 1 so it's hackable for all. No mission is impossible to complete just because you can't punch through a wall, because some people doesn't care for that skill. so, there is always another door or airvent to sneak through.

#13 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10990 posts) -

Unless I wanted a skill that needed two points, I always used them as soon as I got them.

At least until I started my no aug playthrough. Pretty far into the game, and no augs used. Yeah!

#14 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

At least until I started my no aug playthrough. Pretty far into the game, and no augs used. Yeah!

This sounds like an awesome way to play. What's been the hardest part so far without augs?

#15 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10990 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

This sounds like an awesome way to play. What's been the hardest part so far without augs?

Honestly, the hardest thing about it is the lack of inventory space. I ran out of ammo for my combat riffle during the second boss fight and had to search all the lockers for more ammo.

Of course, it's also my third playthrough, so I know exactly what to do and where to go, so it hasn't been hard. It's just that now I can't hack most things or jump down from high heights.

#16 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

I usually had 2-4 points

#17 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

Nope, I usually spend upgrade points as I unlock them.

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Put points into Hacking Capture (level 5), Hacking: Fortify, lift heavy objects, recharge rate upgrade and get cones of vision.

Agreed. I also found the see through walls aug to be extremely helpful, and ended up using it a ton, although I was playing all-stealth. It became kind of an unfortunate crutch, however, like detective mode in Batman AA.

#18 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

Yeah I'm really bad about this.

#19 Posted by BoringK (265 posts) -

I had a tendency to hoard praxis points. I think I had six or seven at the most at one point. I don't think it's something I've ever done in any other game, but I guess early on I got into some situation where I'd spent points on something dumb instead of something I needed, and got into the habit of saving my points until I absolutely needed something I didn't have (additional level of hacking, more armor, etc.).

#20 Posted by zanshin (148 posts) -

I am doing pretty much the same thing, hoarding points (but not to the same level as you), but once in a while I go on a spree and upgrade some stuff that I think will help with my current situation, though sometimes those upgrades don't help me out at all.

#21 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Hoarding serves no purpose at all in this game. You get enough praxis through finding it and purchasing it every time you enter (or reenter) a city that you can upgrade just about everything. They make a point of saying "hey you can't upgrade everything" but yeah, its a line.

#22 Posted by fox01313 (5072 posts) -

Nope, I just save up two points for some new skill (ie. cloak, typhoon or the conversation booster) but seeing how most of the points in upgrades will help out it's silly to not put them to use even if you are just going through with lethal force.

#23 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I bet hoards Praxis.

#24 Posted by Praxis (261 posts) -

Flattering as it may be, this is really not necessary guys. There's enough of me to go 'round.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.