anyone else frustrated and disappointed?

• 66 results
#1 Posted by tarquinbb (25 posts) -

i honestly can't see what the fuss is about.  i feel that the game is deserving of some critic, as i certainly didn't enjoy it as much as i'd hoped.

i was especially frustrated because DEHR cunningly disguises it's linear structure.  i spent a long time exploring and hacking only to find out later that the 584 metric tonnes of accumulated items were useless, because i didn't need to sell them to buy more useless augs.  i then ended up hoarding in my apartment only to find out that you could only visit your apartment in the detroit missions.

the feeling of uselessness returns when you're confronted with the overbearing choice of whether to kill people or just knock them unconscious and whether to complete the few optional side missions.  it's nice padding, but much like the game ending it all seems rather pointless unless you're interested in finishing achievements for gamer (time-waster) points.  

looking back, DEHR doesn't excel in any category.  a decent game, but easily forgettable when compared to similar story-driven semi-linear action games like assassins creed 2, batman arkham asylum or bioshock.

i feel that the game was cruelly stunted by unbalanced and uninspired aug design and the lacking of a suitable playground to try out all of the weapons (without breaking your stealth 'canon' story).  i think the game would have benefitted greatly from more powerful and varied augs, having an option to navigate between areas (so you can return to your apartment to manage inventory/restock ammo/change weapon) and the addition of more areas with plentiful enemies outside of missions.

p.s. PC Gamer mentioned in their DEHR review that the game was smart substantial, funny and creative.  okay it was pretty substantial and somewhat creative, but where is the funny?  unless they were referring to adam jensen's voice :P

#2 Posted by AlexW00d (6184 posts) -

Nope.

#3 Edited by Sputty (143 posts) -

There's no canon story, you're supposed to play how you want. You can't run and gun and blaze to victory but you can play the game however you want, combat focused runs can be done as long as you use cover.

Also, the gang members and police forces act as enemies outside missions as long as you get caught doing something they don't like. You can shoot your way through the Detroit police station and complete the main quest, though you'd probably die.

#4 Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef (55 posts) -

No.

#5 Posted by tarquinbb (25 posts) -
@AlexW00d said:

Nope.

then maybe you were expecting mediocritty when you bought the game? :)
#6 Posted by AlexW00d (6184 posts) -

@tarquinbb said:

@AlexW00d said:

Nope.

then maybe you were expecting mediocritty when you bought the game? :)

Nope. You just expected a different game. The whole damn point of it is playing it whichever way you want, and you seem to think that is padding. You sir, missed the point entirely.

#7 Posted by Sputty (143 posts) -

If you're not finding humor then you're not hacking enough emails. For example, if you go into people's offices and steal stuff then the next time you enter the offices you get a bunch of room combinations to help you 'track down the thief' and can use that to steal more. You can hack Pritchard's email to find out he's constantly writing and sending scripts to TV stations to make a show about him as an IT spy. Hack more emails!

#8 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

Game is awesome so I disagree.

#9 Posted by Infininja (881 posts) -

@tarquinbb said:

i feel that the game is deserving of some critic

*critique

#10 Posted by thehuntsmen5434 (427 posts) -

It really just sounds like you dont like the story.  They might've lied a little bit on saying how open it was, but the first game was like this also.  Give you hub, run around doing missions, new hub, new missions.  Dues Ex just lets you decide on stealth or no stealth.  In Batman and assassins creed you really just had 1 choice when you ran into certain situations.

I do agree though that its annoying how whatever you spec in (hacking, fighting, stealth)  the end result is always the same, so it really doesn't matter.  Not to mention nothing holds any weight in the game as far as those choices go.  For example my friend wiped out the entire police station just for fun, and it held no barring on anything.  Still though, its fun that you CAN do stuff like that and get away with it.  Reminds me of all the messed up stuff you can do in Oblivion or Fallout 3.

#11 Posted by Taklulas (401 posts) -
@Infininja said:

@tarquinbb said:

*critique

Boom! 
#12 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@tarquinbb: Nope. And as it was mentioned already, you expected the wrong game. DEHR is as linear as the first Deus Ex. It was never meant to be an open game.

#13 Posted by Infininja (881 posts) -

@Taklulas said:

@Infininja said:

@tarquinbb said:

*critique

Boom!

Honestly, it might even be critiquing, but I can't think that well right now. :p

#14 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1230 posts) -

I am of the opinion that Deus Ex 1 is the best gam ever made, and this game is actually not fucking up that legacy. I'm very pleased with just about everything except for the boss battles. I love, love, love the stealth, the combat system, the hacking, the story (when it picks up), the multiple approaches to do things. Would be nice to see some better augs though, yes, as well as some more consequences.

#15 Posted by Ares42 (2573 posts) -

You seem to be mostly hitting on the open-world aspects of the game, and if you ask me you're completely right. As I've talked about in another thread, this was good design back in 2000 but now it's just lacking. The areas are small and empty, the exploration has mostly just hollow rewards and the whole loot/upgrade-metagame is just completely insignificant.

#16 Posted by Vinny_Says (5686 posts) -
@tarquinbb: Some of those side missions straight up reveal the truth about Adam and the world.  And it's not "cannon" to play it stealth....

I feel the devs did a great job and created an awesome game, so no I'm not dissapointed and frustrated.
#17 Posted by mak_wikus (503 posts) -

Sneezing SWAT member in a gas mask was kind of funny.

#18 Posted by theguy (796 posts) -
@AlexW00d said:

Nope.

Exactly what my post was going to be. Nope.
#19 Posted by Legend (2649 posts) -
@theguy
@AlexW00d said:

Nope.

Exactly what my post was going to be. Nope.
Yep. Nope.
#20 Posted by zungerman090 (311 posts) -
@Sputty said:

You can hack Pritchard's email to find out he's constantly writing and sending scripts to TV stations to make a show about him as an IT spy. Hack more emails!

WHAAAAT? (Starts up the game again)
#21 Posted by Zzzleepy (162 posts) -

Not at all. The game has some flaws to be sure, but nothing that gets in the way of the experience. At least for me.

#22 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (756 posts) -

I absolutely love DEHR. There's something old school about it that keeps feeding my younger self.

#23 Posted by wealllikepie (756 posts) -

how were the augs useless?

#24 Posted by Karkarov (2982 posts) -

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. 

That said sign me up with the "Nope" crowd.

#25 Posted by Mesoian (1572 posts) -

I think the mission structure and exploration elements of the game are fine. They're not so huge that you're spending copious amounts of time traveling and provides enough short cuts between important places. 

The problem I have is the AI and the lack of routines it seems to have. I remember specifically doing the undercover cop side mission in Detroit where you have to infiltrate gang territory without being seen. There's not a great way to call attention to other areas (the tranq darts SORT OF do it, but not really), so there were times where I just got stuck behind a guy who had decided to occupy a door and never moved, with another guy at a window watching that guy and never moving. I know there would be a certain lazy element and all but seriously, give them SOMETHING to do, don't just make their routines stop in a doorway... 
And of course because the AI is crap, if you do try to misdirect them, 9 times out of 10, they will still go to your last known location rather than the last location the sound you just made/event you just did, which is a huge bummer.  

And the boss fights are just...pretty aweful. In DE1, they didn't feel like bosses, they felt like enemies who had the same attritubes you did and had crafty enough AI to really make things interesting. I remember killing Anna with the GEP gun one time, and then another leading her back to the alien storage area and sicking one of the giant rankor looking things on her. In this one, it's a room, and you shoot until you realize that bullets are never a good idea and you throw explosive materials at them because they're everywhere; it's super dull. I would have loved to lead barrett back to the room where I had taken over a turret and watched the sparks fly. But no...

But the game the accels in other ways, and it's those ways that make me keep wanting to play and change the style of how I would normally play. Doing non lethal runs is aways a pretty fun blast, but I always forgo it when I see that I can hack turrets or robots because that is MORE FUN. I know this game is an adventure game first, FPS second, and that's where it's frustrating, the combat, almost every time (I remember plugging a normal guard 3 times in the head with a sniper rifle and him not dying, which is super dumb). But it was a blast exploring the area, figuring out how to sneak behind someone and take them out, then drag them into a vent and leave them there. 

Maybe they'll get it right next time, because there's definitely going to be another DE game just like this one, probably in 2013. I like it though, I just wish it was a little cleaner as far as combat goes.

#26 Posted by Mesoian (1572 posts) -
@wealllikepie said:

how were the augs useless?

If you just wanna blast through the game guns blazing, then you really only need 3 or 4 augs. 

But there are multiple ways of doing things, which is what makes this game so fun. I'm often torn about what I want to upgrade next because most of the augs will be super useful in different ways.
#27 Posted by Von (328 posts) -

Not disappointed at all. This is one of  the best games that has come out in quite a while. The only flaw it has is that it should be longer, because I don't want this  joyride to ever end.

#28 Edited by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Nope, not even your stupid rant frustrates or disappoints me. I was sure this game was going to be crap before I actually played it.

#29 Edited by tarquinbb (25 posts) -
@thehuntsmen5434 said:

It really just sounds like you dont like the story.  They might've lied a little bit on saying how open it was, but the first game was like this also.  Give you hub, run around doing missions, new hub, new missions.  Dues Ex just lets you decide on stealth or no stealth.  In Batman and assassins creed you really just had 1 choice when you ran into certain situations.  I do agree though that its annoying how whatever you spec in (hacking, fighting, stealth)  the end result is always the same, so it really doesn't matter.  Not to mention nothing holds any weight in the game as far as those choices go.  For example my friend wiped out the entire police station just for fun, and it held no barring on anything.  Still though, its fun that you CAN do stuff like that and get away with it.  Reminds me of all the messed up stuff you can do in Oblivion or Fallout 3.

you're right, i don't think the story was very smart.  

i'm sorry, but where's the social interactions?  where's the tickling of emotions and senses?   maybe adam's coupled lack of charisma and hideous deformity mean that people are scared to interact with him...

the combat gives you plenty of choices, but realistically you can't go around killing everyone.  jensen is an ex-swat guy and somehow i don't believe he'd be capable of murdering hundreds of security guards.  even the 'evil' mercs are probably being controlled by biochips, so there's noone in the game you can kill without chalking it up to murder one.  who wants to play the story 'adam jensen - mass murderer' ?

the freedom is all an illusion that comes crashing down around the second chapter.  nice try though eidos montreal.
#30 Posted by ProfessorEss (7280 posts) -

Apparently we're in the disappointed and frustrated minority. I don't like stealth games. Maybe I'm not "getting" it but I feel like this game should've been marketed as a stealth game as opposed to a "choose your playstyle game". I just don't find any of the non-stealth gameplay is implemented very well, and the iffy graphics and bad voice acting aren't exactly helping either.

I'll try again later and see what happens - it wouldn't be the first game that took me a while to get into, the original Mass Effect took me over two years and three attempts, while Dead Rising took over three years and like six attempts and I really, really like both of those now.

#31 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
@tarquinbb

Fucking opinions man.... they do how work? 

It's a great game, and I've officially become a Deus Ex fanboy, which is why imma call you a troll OP. 

#32 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

Sounds like you were upset the game didn't reward your hoarding ways.  Guess what, it's not called Deus Ex: Hoarder Revolution

#33 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

I really like the game but there are some issues that are quite annoying like ammo having to take up more and more room.  The whole 'only the first battery recharges fully' thing is annoying.
#34 Posted by Duke_of_IRL (87 posts) -

The game's pretty awesome, not a shitstain like Invisible War was, but still it has a number of problems from my point of view. Forced boss fights are ridiculous, immersion-breaking and totally unnecessary. Ammo is nearly as scarce as a survival horror game. There aren't enough hubs, and the ones that exist are boring after being there for hooours. These are somewhat minor points that blemish an otherwise badass product, but the one GIANT fault is the PC port. Cats are running this game maxed out with 100 FPS steady and still having stuttering issues. To date the problem hasn't even been acknowledged by the devs. It's pretty sick that tons of reviewers gave this game a great score and didn't mention this issue at all. Only person I know who makes a point of mentioning this bullshit is Jeff.

#35 Posted by tarquinbb (25 posts) -
@Duke_of_IRL said:
The game's pretty awesome, not a shitstain like Invisible War was, but still it has a number of problems from my point of view. Forced boss fights are ridiculous, immersion-breaking and totally unnecessary. Ammo is nearly as scarce as a survival horror game. There aren't enough hubs, and the ones that exist are boring after being there for hooours. These are somewhat minor points that blemish an otherwise badass product, but the one GIANT fault is the PC port. Cats are running this game maxed out with 100 FPS steady and still having stuttering issues. To date the problem hasn't even been acknowledged by the devs. It's pretty sick that tons of reviewers gave this game a great score and didn't mention this issue at all. Only person I know who makes a point of mentioning this bullshit is Jeff.
maybe that's because most people aren't having stuttering issues?  kinda hard to fix something if they can't replicate the issue.

i'm below the recommended specs (radeon 4890), and the game runs at >50 fps at 1920x1080.  the only 'stutter' i had was the first 1-2 seconds after the start of each boss fight, which was a little unfair as the boss puts a barrel down your throat while you can't react.  but the bosses were mind-numbingly easy on hardest difficulty so it wasn't that big of a deal for me.

anyway, i'm not saying it's a bad game at all.  i'm just wondering why there's so much acclaim for a game that hasn't done anything exceptional.
#36 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

No

#37 Posted by Brians (1458 posts) -

@tarquinbb: No because I remember how shitty Invisible War was.

#38 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow

Nope, not even your stupid rant frustrates or disappoints me. I was sure this game was going to be crap before I actually played it.

You seriously need to figure out the difference between you not liking a game and it actually being bad. You bitter bitter person.
#39 Edited by FajitaBoss (43 posts) -

I had a couple of rough hours at the begining. The Police station quest is rubbish after it the game takes off.

#40 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Vodun said:

@SeriouslyNow

You seriously need to figure out the difference between you not liking a game and it actually being bad. You bitter bitter person.

I think you missed my point Vodun. The game is great and I was wrong.

#41 Edited by Ares42 (2573 posts) -

Finally finished the game today, and gotta say I was bitterly disappointed. I went into the game ready to be immersed in a great cyberpunk world, but what I was met with was poorly tuned gameplay-systems and outdated story-telling. The most obvious flaw is just the graphics. Comparing this to other modern story-driven games like Mass Effect or Uncharted is like night and day. Stiff characters with bad lip-sync is just terrible for immersion. And the few cutscenes are neither very "epic" or technically impressive. There is a decent story there, but it's nothing new to someone that has already played Deus Ex. 

I've already talked about some of the gameplay-flaws earlier in the thread, but the absolute big killer for me was realizing that halfway through the game I already had all the weapons, augs and viruses I needed and all xp/loot/creds was pointless from that point. Reaching that point so early in the game just made it less and less enjoyable to hack yet another terminal, or climb through yet another vent to find a room with a hidden credit chip and some ammo. There is one shining star though, which is the e-mails, but it's far from enough to out-weigh everything else. The stealth also takes a bad swing once it turns into "get as far as you can in 7 seconds then hide and recharge battery".

Also, even though it probably goes without mention, if you make the "right" choices the second to last boss is just utterly stupid.

#42 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow

@Vodun said:

@SeriouslyNow

I think you missed my point Vodun. The game is great and I was wrong.

Indeed I did, just so much expression of opinion as facts on these forums.
#43 Posted by ze_ro (181 posts) -

Loving it

#44 Posted by yinstarrunner (1182 posts) -

I think someone is missing the difference between "open world" and "great level design". Deus Ex was never great because of its hub areas, or because of its story. It was a linear game. The story was pretty cheesy, although the very subtle ways that you could influence it were interesting. However, The thing that propels Deus Ex into the echelons of the greatest games ever made is fantastic level design. Human Revolution follows suit fantastically.

#45 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Ares42 said:

... halfway through the game I already had all the weapons, augs and viruses I needed and all xp/loot/creds was pointless from that point.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous in the last area in the game you can still pick up credits but there's never any way to spend them.

DX:HR has many minor flaws but they didn't stop me from enjoying my playthrough.

#46 Posted by yinstarrunner (1182 posts) -
@Ravenlight there's a limb clinic in the last area of the game where you can buy two more praxis kits and other stuff.
#47 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

This game is amazing. You are wrong. I feel sorry for you.

#48 Posted by SomeJerk (3142 posts) -

I remember people shitting on FF13 calling it railroading, when FFX which always is a favourite for those people, was railroady as hell until the last steps of the game.

Which is something that also goes for Deus Ex 1 and DXHR.

Skyrim will have to provide me with hookers and beer to beat this, with everything they've dumbed down in it compared to this might-as-well-been-a-2001-title game.

#49 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@yinstarrunner: Yeah, I remember that part, but I'm pretty sure you keep finding credits after a certain "point of no return."

Maybe I'm crazy. I'm on my second playthrough now, I'll try to confirm this when I hit that point.

#50 Posted by Getz (2989 posts) -

From your title it seemed like you had expectations going in from the first two games, but as I read I realized that you're not comparing this game to it's predecessors at all. The progression is very similar to the previous two games, with you hopping to different hub locations rather than some kind of "open-world" (which, in the early 2000s didn't even exist save Daggerfall and GTA III). I personally thought it was a fitting entry in to the series, nailing most of the right things perfectly (ie atmosphere, story, wealth of choices) and falling flat in areas that don't necessarily make Deus Ex what it is (gunplay, voice acting, etc)

I wasn't disappointed like you because I didn't have some other game in my head when I sat down to play it. I went in expecting the worst and came out pleasantly surprised.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.