Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

Anyone preordering this?

• 69 results
    Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Gargantuan

I'm gonna pre-order it on Steam

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By Tennmuerti

@DystopiaX:

AP and Borderlands shooting function very similarly. In both games the higher your skill and better gun attachments the smaller your bullet spread is. If you max your assault rifles in AP there is very little spray just like in Borderlands. No you don't automatically hit what you are shooting at in Borderlands, there is still spread just like in most FPS games, just like in AP, and your stats affect it just like in AP. The main thing is that in most pure FPS games the first bullet is always dead on target (Deus Ex: HR has that too)

Deus Ex: HR has a similar system, of spread and reticule adjustment. The one big difference is that it only takes 2 skills (4 level up points) in Human Revolution to remove most of the spray and make guns very acurate. So if someone wants to shoot dudes all the time, they can make their shooting very stable quickly, before they start their second mission even. Unlike AP where it took almost half the game before you mazed your gun skill. And the initial acuracy is better then the default one of AP or Borderlands.

(for sniper rifles it's sway, for obvious reasons)

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By eroticfishcake

GAME automatically pre-order a copy for loyalty members free of charge is pretty dandy. I'll love to get it day one but I'd prefer to see what they'll price it at. I'm really looking forward to it after the playing the leak.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By Jimbo

Anybody know if there's a mechanic for giving XP for avoiding guards entirely? That is typically the most challenging way to play games like this, but obviously you won't really wanna play that way if you just lose out on all the XP you would be getting if you killed / knocked everybody out instead.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#55  Edited By jacdg

@Jimbo said:

Anybody know if there's a mechanic for giving XP for avoiding guards entirely? That is typically the most challenging way to play games like this, but obviously you won't really wanna play that way if you just lose out on all the XP you would be getting if you killed / knocked everybody out instead.

I'm pretty sure they said there was bonus XP for not being spotted at all.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Jimbo said:

There is.

There are several levels of bonus XP you can get for how undetected you were. One if for not being seen at all, another for not raising an alarm.

BUT (at least in the demo) if you were really good you could maintain the 2 above parameters as true, but still knock out every guard, which would net you both the XP for the knockouts and the bonus XP for not raising an alrarm/not beeng seen. This is harder however then just sneaking by everyone and takes way more time. So appropriate imo.

comikid1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By comikid1991

I've got my preorder in at gamestop,  figure the explosive pack suits my playing style better than the silenced weapons.  Plus, the extra level means more game for the same price.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58  Edited By haggis

I had a few games to trade in at Gamestop, and decided to pre-order. I was going to wait to read some initial reviews (I had mixed opinions about the other games in the series), but everything I've seen points to me at least liking the game, if not outright loving it, despite some concerns about the story and themes being a bit dry. Plus, it's been awhile since I picked up anything decent. I'm itching to play something that eats up hours, and I don't want to wait until November for Skyrim. It's easily the most interesting RPG in the short term.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#59  Edited By Gav47

I was going to but now I think I'm going to get Red Orchestra 2 instead. 

comikid1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By comikid1991
    @haggis said:
    I had a few games to trade in at Gamestop, and decided to pre-order. I was going to wait to read some initial reviews (I had mixed opinions about the other games in the series), but everything I've seen points to me at least liking the game, if not outright loving it, despite some concerns about the story and themes being a bit dry. Plus, it's been awhile since I picked up anything decent. I'm itching to play something that eats up hours, and I don't want to wait until November for Skyrim. It's easily the most interesting RPG in the short term.

I really think that by far, it's the most interesting game to come out for the next few months.  What Story concerns do you have?
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By haggis
    @comikid1991: I read a lot of science fiction, and so far the themes and narrative the game seems to have were dealt with in SF novels twenty years ago. It's difficult to imagine they're bringing anything new to the discussion of cybernetic augmentations that better writers didn't bring back in the 90s. It feels very retro to me. That doesn't mean the story isn't going to be entertaining, but I think the game designers seem to think it's somehow provocative or timely. It isn't. So, I have concerns. It's not going to stop me from enjoying the game, but I'm expecting the story to be basically a mashup of twenty- or thirty-year-old SF tropes. Of course, that's exactly what Mass Effect was, and I love those games, so it's not a huge concern. I'm just setting my expectations low.
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By Cincaid

Just preordered my copy, can't wait!

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Tennmuerti

@haggis said:

@comikid1991: I read a lot of science fiction, and so far the themes and narrative the game seems to have were dealt with in SF novels twenty years ago. It's difficult to imagine they're bringing anything new to the discussion of cybernetic augmentations that better writers didn't bring back in the 90s. It feels very retro to me. That doesn't mean the story isn't going to be entertaining, but I think the game designers seem to think it's somehow provocative or timely. It isn't. So, I have concerns. It's not going to stop me from enjoying the game, but I'm expecting the story to be basically a mashup of twenty- or thirty-year-old SF tropes. Of course, that's exactly what Mass Effect was, and I love those games, so it's not a huge concern. I'm just setting my expectations low.

I had this feeling playing through the demo, keep in mind it was just a general feeling, a kind of vibe. The entire game/setting felt very "retro" futuristic. But in a good way. I mean cyberpunk in and of itself is a cool concept, but it's a 90s cool concept. If we think of Fallout 1&2 as being set in the 50s world of tomorrow. The Human Revolution I would say feels like something set in a 90s world of tomorrow. Not just from technological perspective but from social as well as aesthetic angles.

For me this was perfect.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By haggis
    @Tennmuerti: It may be too recent for the kind of commentary than Fallout makes about the 1950s. Still, if the game has a Neuromancer/Hardwired/Snow Crash kind of vibe to it, I'm sure I'll like it. I'm even picking up a noir-esque vibe in the game that reminds me a lot of William Gibson and Blade Runner. I just wish some of these games would try to pick up on current SF trends. For some reason they never seem to.
    mgray5159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By mgray5159

Probably not, I preordered Rage instead.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By amomjc

Unless the pre-order bonus is spectacular, I avoid playing into that scam that gives retail companies tons of money for no reason at all. There will never be a game you need to pre-order, you will always get that title.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@mgray5159 said:

Probably not, I preordered Rage instead.

Whoops!
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Tennmuerti

@csoup said:

Unless the pre-order bonus is spectacular, I avoid playing into that scam that gives retail companies tons of money for no reason at all. There will never be a game you need to pre-order, you will always get that title.

If you are paying for a preored it's silly sure. But there are plenty of retailers of digital distributors that don't charge anything for a preorder.

On the other hand if preorder is spectacular that is kind of screwing over the people who didn't preorder because they are waiting for reviews.

GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#69  Edited By GJSmitty

Gunna wait for more reviews (IGN, Giant Bomb, etc) to decide.  Also, the only game I have ever pre-ordered is Portal 2, I'm not big on doing it.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.