Augmentation and Praxis points

Posted by Krendrayven (85 posts) -

I'm currently playing Deus Ex as I've mentioned and I find myself stuck at times.  Most of the time it's because my hacking abilities are lower than average for a point in the game, but I've been trying to upgrade everything else that I like to use in combat situations, etc.  I guess what I'm trying to state here is I want to know how everyone else is handling it.  I know it's different for everyone.. I'm trying to play as an upfront shooter, which really is not working at all.  I thought I'd suck at stealth, and it turns out that it works a hell of a lot better than just going in and shooting everyone dead.  (Until I got the crossbow, thank god)   

I'm not super far into the game, so no spoilers please.  I am extremely lucky to have gotten where I am in the game, and would just like some tips on how to better distribute the Praxis points.  :)  I was told that some of the augmentations are a little useless, more or less.  

#1 Posted by Krendrayven (85 posts) -

I'm currently playing Deus Ex as I've mentioned and I find myself stuck at times.  Most of the time it's because my hacking abilities are lower than average for a point in the game, but I've been trying to upgrade everything else that I like to use in combat situations, etc.  I guess what I'm trying to state here is I want to know how everyone else is handling it.  I know it's different for everyone.. I'm trying to play as an upfront shooter, which really is not working at all.  I thought I'd suck at stealth, and it turns out that it works a hell of a lot better than just going in and shooting everyone dead.  (Until I got the crossbow, thank god)   

I'm not super far into the game, so no spoilers please.  I am extremely lucky to have gotten where I am in the game, and would just like some tips on how to better distribute the Praxis points.  :)  I was told that some of the augmentations are a little useless, more or less.  

#2 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

Having finished the game myself it really seems geared towards stealth/hacking. But this is a Deus Ex game so you can still do well without using either of those skills. That said, putting points into combat isn't a bad choice since it seems some people have a hard time dealing with bosses (While others are finding them really easy). Also, if you can't get past a door by hacking, try blowing it up instead 'cause you know, it's a Deus Ex game.

#3 Posted by Spoonman671 (4555 posts) -

If you want to have an easier time hacking then put some points into the stealth hacking augmentation.  It will prevent you from being detected when you capture nodes and makes it much easier.

As for combat, a certain amount of stealth is pretty much always required, but purchasing some sub-dermal armor augs should help with your longevity a bit.

#4 Posted by MetalBaofu (1348 posts) -

In games like this I usually grab any kind of speech upgrades and/or lock picking/hacking/etc.     I played this one on hard for my first play through, so I upgraded my armor pretty fast, too.   Personally, I think the inventory space is really important.   As for the combat kind of stuff, the one to let you take down 2 guys at a time is pretty nice, and I found the energy upgrades kinda helpful(the increase in batteries more than the faster recharge).  I also used the fall from any height thing quite a bit, and being able to pick up heavier objects.

I tried to sneak around and use take downs as much as possible.   I did carry around some big guns, grenades, and mines  for whenever I got spotted and had to fight and for the bosses.

#5 Posted by MiniPato (2719 posts) -

My first time through, I spent my first praxis point on picking up heavy objects, then on the conversation module, and then pooled everything into hacking and hacking stealth. I highly suggest you upgrade your hacking because it can yield some good exp from datastores and just because there's so much to hack. You get so much just from the Detroit police station alone. Then I put some in batteries, no fall damage (especially useful in Hengsha since you can easily fall off rooftops if you are not careful or make a bad jump), and cloaking. Oddly enough, combat augmentations were the last thing I upgraded. Recoil reduction was the very last thing I upgraded in the game, just because finding alternate routes is more fun than tackling the enemies head on.

#6 Edited by Krendrayven (85 posts) -
@MiniPato: The very first thing I upgraded was the conversation module along with hacking.  The problem I had was that I didn't upgrade hacking 'stealth' which I quickly fixed with a few sidequests.  As I type this I'm in a debate whether to upgrade my cloak or not, and believe me, I experienced first hand how much falling from Hengsha rooftops is annoying.   

I'm trying to do a lot more combat then stealth but I just can't get my head around it.  That and I seem to enjoy crawling through vents and knocking enemies out rather than attracting a bunch of attention.  I also heard that cloaking doesn't do much.. this is from a friend of mine.  So I decided to not upgrade it, but now I'm second guessing myself.
#7 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

I never knew people were having so much problems falling off the roofs in Hengsha. I only used Icarus landing system since it's just faster to get down ladders. Anyway, fully upgrading the Cloak to be active for seven seconds is actually quite handy for general stealth but as well as for breathing room in combat situations. Upgrading the battery recharge helps a lot too.

#8 Posted by sharkeh (70 posts) -

My main problem with the game is it rewards stealth a lot more than other types of gameplay. Now stealth is my preferred playstyle and I went straight for the pacifist achievement but now I've started playing it through again with killing in mind this time and I've found you just get A LOT less xp for not being stealthy. Even using the kill takedown instead of the knockout takedown nets you less xp. It's really annoying because I'm forced to play a certain way to get the most xp. I still absolutely love the game and I've already played through twice and there are a lot of diverging paths, more than I expected, but the whole xp system for me feels unnecessary or at least they shouldn't link the xp to the praxis points, in my opinion.

As for recommendations, as someone else said, the armour upgrade helps keep you alive and the no recoil upgrade can be useful depending on your weapon of choice. Also, if you want to completely break the game get the typhoon upgrade. Boos fights have never been so easy.

#9 Edited by Marz (5642 posts) -

i find cloaking the least useful augmentation because everything can be avoided if you know how to stay out of enemy LOS.   Hacking augs definitely are the best investment because not only do you get to hack stuff you couldn't before, you also get experience points back for your investment for hacking every little thing you find.

#10 Edited by AyKay_47 (293 posts) -

In my experience, because I like to hack everything I see, I found that getting level 5 capture and level 1 or 2 hacking stealth gives you the most return as far as experience is concerned. The data stores can have up to 500xp in them (usually around 100, but still), and that adds up quite nicely in the long run, and there's even a level 5 lock in one of the Detroit apartments that hides a Praxis Kit.

I just beat it on hard while mostly stealthing/hacking/knocking guys out, and didn't find it very difficult at all. The silenced 10mm with the armor piercing bullets was my best friend. You should get acquainted. Once you fully upgrade the damage and rate of fire on it, it'll cut through the bosses as if they were paper. Especially if you get the no recoil aug. This will also let you skip the aim-while-moving aug, and save you a lot of inventory space.

One more bit of general advice: Keep at least 2 unspent praxis points at all times, just in case you run into a shitty situation, and always keep at least 10,000 credits on you for the 2 praxis you can buy at every LIMB clinic. If you do all the sidequests you should find yourself rolling in Praxis soon enough.

Edit: Don't forget the laser sight on the 10mm. Makes the long range weapons close to obsolete.

#11 Posted by The_Nubster (2046 posts) -
@AyKay_47 said:

In my experience, because I like to hack everything I see, I found that getting level 5 capture and level 1 or 2 hacking stealth gives you the most return as far as experience is concerned. The data stores can have up to 500xp in them (usually around 100, but still), and that adds up quite nicely in the long run, and there's even a level 5 lock in one of the Detroit apartments that hides a Praxis Kit.

I just beat it on hard while mostly stealthing/hacking/knocking guys out, and didn't find it very difficult at all. The silenced 10mm with the armor piercing bullets was my best friend. You should get acquainted. Once you fully upgrade the damage and rate of fire on it, it'll cut through the bosses as if they were paper. Especially if you get the no recoil aug. This will also let you skip the aim-while-moving aug, and save you a lot of inventory space.

One more bit of general advice: Keep at least 2 unspent praxis points at all times, just in case you run into a shitty situation, and always keep at least 10,000 credits on you for the 2 praxis you can buy at every LIMB clinic. If you do all the sidequests you should find yourself rolling in Praxis soon enough.

Edit: Don't forget the laser sight on the 10mm. Makes the long range weapons close to obsolete.

@blackaurora555: Listen to this man and his pistol wisdom. 10mm and I, along with laser sight and armor-piercing bullets, were very close friends as well.
#12 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

I'm investing my Praxis points in the Cybernetic Arm Prosthesis at the moment. I'm not very far in myself.

#13 Edited by Karkarov (2980 posts) -

I find the stealth augs are mostly worthless.  I get smooth operator and ghost on almost every mission on max difficulty and I have no cloak, cant see cones of vision, cant see my sound range, dont have mark and track, and I cant see through walls.  I do have max radar range though, that's something.  I just play like it is MGS and I do fine.  You just have to accept that sometimes you can't "stealth" a certain encounter so you have to just bypass and suck up the lost exp.

The pistol is boss though.  No where near as insane as it was in Alpha Protocol however.  I still laugh when I think of people saying how hard the shooting was in that game.  Max pistol, slow mo, tag, headshot boss 5 times at point blank, roll credits.

#14 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

I really dislike the cloaking aug, especially when you first upgrade it. But I can also see a use for it, I just wish it was more useful.

#15 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10468 posts) -

I got up to level five with hacking as soon as I could. And yeah, despite the fact that the game's marketing tried to make it seem like the game can be played like a shooter, it was definitely designed as a stealth game first (and this is from two playthroughs, one of which was a no-kill, no alert playthrough on hard).  

So I'd just recommend getting your hacking up, and that even when you're feeling murder-happy, just be stealthy about it. 

#16 Posted by Aetheldod (3509 posts) -

Upgrade your guns (whichever you prefer) also when you get more than 100 health and the skin augs your life goes down slower , but as soon you hit 100 you die fast , but it is doable , also mines yer best friend and the magnum with exploding bullets or the minigun .... oh yes the minigun fully upgraded is so wonderful ^^ ignore this folks and their punny pistol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.