batteries?!

#1 Posted by BetaMax (131 posts) -

Am I missing something, 8hrs in and i have 3 engery batteries. The first one recharges but the other two never recharge! Am I missing an abilitiy or aug?

#2 Posted by Ketchupp (672 posts) -

No you have to eat candy bars or whatever to recharge the ones after the first. If you're using stealth or something try to turn it off before it drains an entire battery and then it'll still recharge whichever still has some energy remaining in it.

#3 Edited by MetalBaofu (1383 posts) -

It will only recharge the first one.  The others are recharged by using items.   The candy bars, energy boost kit things, etc.   You can get an aug to make the first one recharge faster.   When that is maxed it will start to recharge immediately and take 20 seconds.

#4 Posted by BetaMax (131 posts) -

errrg that stinks! I want to always be invisible!

#5 Posted by Tennmuerti (8102 posts) -

You automatically recharge only the first cell or any cell that is not fully drained.

If you need to use more then 1 cell in a row use:

#6 Edited by thetenthdoctor (291 posts) -

I still hate this gameplay mechanic, and can't get used to it. I can't tell you how many times I've cloaked, run up to a dude and elbow bladed him, then turned to get the next guy and - "BZZZZT!"- not enough energy, guy shoots my face off. I have cybernetic arms, for God's sake. If I can move dumpsters and vending machine to my heart's content, I shouldn't need a candybar between punching dudes.

#7 Posted by gogbot (25 posts) -

Its an annoying mechanic but augmentations give you a lot of power.
Buy making your energy a finite resource you can't so much abuse and are forced to use it tactically.

Its not a very hard game as it is , too much energy will make it a cake walk.

#8 Edited by Omega (835 posts) -

I don't mind the one battery recharge thing. It's pretty simple to deal with. I never replenish my battery power until I know I'll need to use more than one block. If you keep using energy bars to replenish all your batteries then you're just wasting items since most situations can be dealt with using a single battery. Stuff like knocking down walls or stealth can be done easily with one bar. Cloaking is different in this game than most others, I think its meant for quick 7 second uses like running down a hall unseen or getting around a guard who just wont turn around. Those situations can be dealt with using just one battery. The times when you might need more than that like any extended use of cloak or if you're going to need to takedown more than one guy is when you'll want to munch on one of those candy bars you'd have saved up by not overusing your abilities. Because of this playstyle that I follow I don't need to invest in more than one extra battery upgrade, even then it's late in the game. In most situations you'll only need the two batteries already given to you, and you can use the points elsewhere on the upgrade tree. Like maxing out the battery recharge super early so you don't have to wait forever to break down a second wall.

#9 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

These are the reasons why you should plan ahead before going off all half cocked.

#10 Posted by misterhaan (227 posts) -

i’ve also come across boxes of proenergy bars which give you 2 batteries worth, and a jar (possibly also filled with proenergy bars) which refills 3 batteries.  i tend to hang onto the single bars since you can fit 5 in a single inventory square.  the boxes take 2 squares and i think you can fit 3 of them in each 2-square slot, and the jars take 4 squares but don’t stack at all.  so as far as inventory is concerned the jars are not worth hanging onto at 0.75 energy/square, the boxes are better at 3 energy/square, but the bars are a clear winner at 5/square.

and i’ll admit to eating an entire jar with no intention of using energy soon in order to make room to pick up a combat rifle to sell later.

#11 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

The thing is, without the handicap, this already easy game would be even easier.

#12 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

As everyone else says, it only recharges the first cell. Protein bars recover the rest. It sounds kinda iffy but if it recharges all of your cells it'll become extremely easy. The fact that it recharges your first cell alone is enough. Unless you intend to perform some elaborate tactics that require extra cells. For the most part, it's not a hard game to begin with. Also, don't worry too much about XP or money since about halfway through the game I already had what I wanted and with 50,000 credits by the end of the game.

#13 Posted by probablytuna (3664 posts) -

To be honest I never really used the second battery let alone invest in more batteries. It's already pretty easy with just one recharging battery (more so when you invest in the faster recharge upgrades).

#14 Posted by Management (596 posts) -

This is the worst part of that game.

#15 Posted by DougQuaid (1274 posts) -
@thetenthdoctor said:
I still hate this gameplay mechanic, and can't get used to it. I can't tell you how many times I've cloaked, run up to a dude and elbow bladed him, then turned to get the next guy and - "BZZZZT!"- not enough energy, guy shoots my face off. I have cybernetic arms, for God's sake. If I can move dumpsters and vending machine to my heart's content, I shouldn't need a candybar between punching dudes.    
It seems like you can, but carrying and throwing heavy objects also drains energy, just very slowly.
#16 Posted by FritzDude (2263 posts) -

For the multiple takedowns - that's what the combat reflex augmentation are for. For the slow recharge - That's what faster batteries augmentation are for. The solid purpose behind the one battery recharge only is that the game is trying to take two mechanics at once (kit using and recharge). If the game had recharge only, it would be too easy, and not to mention the debacle over it by core fans. If it's kit only it would force you to do something you wouldn't do, and would turn down the modern and mainstream users. it's mere for balancing purposes. Where's the fun in infinite cloaking and takedowns? Where's the fun in not be able to use them because you already used every kit? The game would be too easy, or too hard / annoying. As for the logic behind it - It's a bit silly yes, but this is a game, and games need balance. The same goes for the health regen. 100 health (maximum regen) is actually 50% health.

I think they did a good job on the balance and the split between "old school" and "modern" gameplay. But that's just me and my humble opinion.

#17 Posted by HellBrendy (994 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:
As everyone else says, it only recharges the first cell. Protein bars recover the rest. It sounds kinda iffy but if it recharges all of your cells it'll become extremely easy. The fact that it recharges your first cell alone is enough. Unless you intend to perform some elaborate tactics that require extra cells. For the most part, it's not a hard game to begin with. Also, don't worry too much about XP or money since about halfway through the game I already had what I wanted and with 50,000 credits by the end of the game.
Well, everyone who says this is wrong. It recharges every cell, as long as it isn't depleted. The last cell is the only one not getting depleted.  

You can get a lot of XP by hacking. I hack everything, and level up rather fast. On average I guess you get around 30-40 XP per hack, but you can do it alot if you just want to.
#18 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -
@HellBrendy: Oh yeah, I forgot about that. My bad. Then again, I use a lot of takedowns which use entire cells though so the whole recharging partially depleted cells only really relate to the other augs I rarely use.
#19 Posted by HellBrendy (994 posts) -
@eroticfishcake: Yeah, same here. I just landed on the roof of tyou-know-where and I just got cloaking and silent walking. Never saw the use of more batterypower until now, so I'll guess I'll upgrade them some. 
#20 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2161 posts) -

After you get the second recharge speed boost, it's not really a problem anymore.

#21 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

I just wish punching civilians wouldn't consume a whole battery.

#22 Posted by thetenthdoctor (291 posts) -

Punching civilians should refill energy. :D

#23 Posted by believer258 (11909 posts) -

I haven't even unlocked the third battery. I've still only got two, and I barely use the first. I haven't gotten to play it much, though.

Making takedowns use up an entire battery is perhaps the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. I can't say that I hate that mechanic but I certainly am not a fan of it.

#24 Edited by Buttenator (189 posts) -

Buying extra batteries is COMPLETELY POINTLESS. Since you always have to manually charge them, why not just manually recharge that second battery as it empties? You're still getting the same end result without wasting praxis points, and you can constantly use the recharging first battery for takedowns without needing to eat a damn Powersauce bar to punch a guy.

#25 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
My reaction when I punched one Dealer but then the other one shot me because I didn't have a battery left to deal with him as well.
#26 Posted by Tennmuerti (8102 posts) -

@Buttenator said:

Buying extra batteries is COMPLETELY POINTLESS. Since you always have to manually charge them, why not just manually recharge that second battery as it empties? You're still getting the same end result without wasting praxis points, and you can constantly use the recharging first battery for takedowns without needing to eat a damn Powersauce bar to punch a guy.

There are several reasons to purchase extra batteries actually:

• you maxed out everything else you need
  • better battery recharge consumables restore 2 and 3 cells at a time
  • there are situations in the game when you want to takedown 5 or more enemies in a very very short period of time and still remain unetected to maximize XP, for that a lot of batteries help a lot
#27 Posted by Buttenator (189 posts) -

@Tennmuerti:

1. Anything else is equal to, or better than something that's essentially functionally useless.
  2. Largely irrelevant since you're still manually charging all but the first battery. If anything, it's an excuse to not lug around the giant jugs.
  3. Do a takedown and then eat an energy bar, repeat as needed.
#28 Edited by Tennmuerti (8102 posts) -

@Buttenator:

• there are plenty of augs that have less use then extra batteries, and this point is not an equivalency of value, you can simply get enough Praxis points where you are basically choosing which things you don't really need to upgrade
  • not irrelevant at all if you want to make use of all the energy boosts you find and never be short on energy in tough situations
  • when you have many many dudes in a room a few energy bars are simply not going to cut it, see rescuing Malik while remaining Pacifist as one example, your suggestion is simply non viable if you are trying to takedown multiple paroling intersecting enemies in a very short time while still remaining undetected ad not raising alarms, yes you can do it once, but next time you will have no energy bars left
#29 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

@Management said:

This is the worst part of that game.

This about the energy not replenishing, not a boss thread.

#30 Posted by Vinny_Says (5709 posts) -

The game is easy enough

#31 Posted by Buttenator (189 posts) -

@Tennmuerti: I had two batteries for the whole game, and at the end I had 11 bars, 14 packs, and 2 jars left over. This was on the same playthrough that I got pacifist and foxiest of the hounds. I took down every single guard I came across to max xp, and rescuing Malik was not hard in the slightest thanks to cloak, the stun gun, and a few takedowns. It's really not hard to just press a hotkey to use a bar when needed, and early on I had 3 extra praxis points to put into something practical. Endgame it really doesn't matter what you do. Cloak, run past everything, spam typhoon at bosses. It's all stupid easy.

#32 Posted by Tennmuerti (8102 posts) -

@Buttenator: I'm not arguing that one should put spend points on them early on at all. But by the mid game I already had every practical aug that I wanted, because I was maxing XP. At that point you are spending Praxis only on convenience stuff or even almost useless stuff. By the end of the game I had every aug except a couple. And those bars proved convenient, since they enabled me to just use a pack/jar and just clean rooms out much quicker.

No aug is required to finish game at all, you can do it without Cloak, or without Typhoon, or without Hacking, etc...

It's all a matter of convenience and all I'm saying is that extra batteries can indeed be convenient in certain situations (Malik, end of TYM, main entrance of Harvesters)

#33 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -

If there was no battery cooldown for the melee take down, it will completely break the game IMO. 

#34 Posted by sarahsdad (1092 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Making takedowns use up an entire battery is perhaps the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. I can't say that I hate that mechanic but I certainly am not a fan of it.

Agreed. I would have really appreciated one of the augment upgrades to be Energy Efficiency or something similar. It could have been similar to one of the hacking upgrades, where each additional level means you use 10% less energy, or something.

#35 Edited by Luccaface (218 posts) -

Yup, it's a pretty stupid system. What they should have done is made all your batteries recharge instead of just one and balanced that by having candy bars only speed up the recharge speed rather than doing it instantaneously, so you couldn't endlessly string takedowns so easily like you can now. That way there would also be some incentive to having more batteries before you start an assault on a group of enemies.

#36 Posted by project343 (2825 posts) -

@BetaMax: Look at the batteries the same way that you look at your health. 1 blip is like 100 health. You need to use items to "boost" past that.

If you want to melee more frequently, I recommend grabbing the faster energy recharging augs. They're invaluable.

#37 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

I'm not a fan of it either, but I understand completley why they did it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.