Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

But it feels so good...

coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By coreymw

I had to take Deus Ex back to the redbox kiosk today. I was at the point where I could no longer justify paying $2 a night to rent a game. It was hard to return it. I was really enjoying myself. I did, however, have a few issues.

Something I hadn’t noticed for the first few hours was the way people move during conversations. For one thing they stand in place. Why aren’t we walking around when we converse? Secondly, why are they waving their hands about as if they’re robots. Once I noticed it I couldn’t stop from seeing it. It probably shouldn’t have bothered me, but it’s annoying. Oh, and they bob their heads around in an unrealistic manner. I wouldn’t have minded these things if I hadn’t seen games before it doing a better job.

As I said before, the game’s been a treat to play. It’s nice to have options. I’m halfway through and I’ve yet to kill anyone. I take to the vents when I can, stay out of site and choke people when need be. It’s almost as powerful a feeling as wielding a heavy gun and mowing people down. They don’t know I’m there, I’ve been inside their offices and on their machines and there’s nothing they can do about it.

The voice acting leaves a little to be desired. I feel like The Dude and Clint Eastwood were paid handsomely for their voice work. For a game that takes its story and setting seriously, they could have sprung for better voice actors. It gets better as the game progresses, which I find odd. It’s bad enough to be jarring, and that doesn’t bode well for immersion.

Maybe my favorite aspect of the game is the way side quests and main missions intertwine. This is something I feel has been unmatched since Oblivion. When side story characters or actions affect or help to decide main quest missions I feel like the world is cohesive, as if I’m making a difference. Who doesn’t like the feeling of working on a main quest and someone mentioning a job I completed or about me helping someone. I love that.

In short, I can’t wait to finally pick this game up again and finish it.

coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By coreymw

I had to take Deus Ex back to the redbox kiosk today. I was at the point where I could no longer justify paying $2 a night to rent a game. It was hard to return it. I was really enjoying myself. I did, however, have a few issues.

Something I hadn’t noticed for the first few hours was the way people move during conversations. For one thing they stand in place. Why aren’t we walking around when we converse? Secondly, why are they waving their hands about as if they’re robots. Once I noticed it I couldn’t stop from seeing it. It probably shouldn’t have bothered me, but it’s annoying. Oh, and they bob their heads around in an unrealistic manner. I wouldn’t have minded these things if I hadn’t seen games before it doing a better job.

As I said before, the game’s been a treat to play. It’s nice to have options. I’m halfway through and I’ve yet to kill anyone. I take to the vents when I can, stay out of site and choke people when need be. It’s almost as powerful a feeling as wielding a heavy gun and mowing people down. They don’t know I’m there, I’ve been inside their offices and on their machines and there’s nothing they can do about it.

The voice acting leaves a little to be desired. I feel like The Dude and Clint Eastwood were paid handsomely for their voice work. For a game that takes its story and setting seriously, they could have sprung for better voice actors. It gets better as the game progresses, which I find odd. It’s bad enough to be jarring, and that doesn’t bode well for immersion.

Maybe my favorite aspect of the game is the way side quests and main missions intertwine. This is something I feel has been unmatched since Oblivion. When side story characters or actions affect or help to decide main quest missions I feel like the world is cohesive, as if I’m making a difference. Who doesn’t like the feeling of working on a main quest and someone mentioning a job I completed or about me helping someone. I love that.

In short, I can’t wait to finally pick this game up again and finish it.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By emergency

When I talk to someone I often don't really move around that much. Anyway, there are some scenes specifically the interrogation type dialogues that involve a lot of walking about from the character. Sarif, Taggart etc. some other big name guys.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Yeah, the five dialog animations are pretty terrible.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Some people can't multi-task, i.e. talk and walk.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Yeah, the animations when talking to people (mainly Malik in my time with the game) are a low point in the overall quality of the game. 

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By napalm

You guys are nuts, I quite enjoy Malik's robot hands.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Napalm said:
    That's because she's augmented. In all fairness it is 2027.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By napalm
    @eroticfishcake said:
    @Napalm said:
    That's because she's augmented. In all fairness it is 2027.
    That's so 2027?
    coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By coreymw

@emergency said:

When I talk to someone I often don't really move around that much. Anyway, there are some scenes specifically the interrogation type dialogues that involve a lot of walking about from the character. Sarif, Taggart etc. some other big name guys.

I'm more animated when sitting and talking than they were when standing. If I'm not sitting, I'm walking and talking. Maybe I haven't gotten there yet, but I've yet to see a conversation with walking and talking. There have been cut-scenes like that, but nothing where I am making choices in dialogue.

magimix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By magimix

For me, its more that characters seems afflicted with a mild palsy in dialogue scenes - either that or they are stimmed up and jittery (hey, it is a corporate-dystopian cyberpunk future). The heads and hands seem *twitchy* as they move.

Von

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Von

To me it seems like they had to take parts of Jensens bladder when they augmented him because when he talks to people he jumps around like he really, really need to go to the bathroom. Quite funny in a way but just ridiculous when they're talking serious business.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By probablytuna

I have to say aside from Portal 2, this is my favourite game of 2011 so far.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

This is the best game of 2011, or easily one of the best, the only better game in my opinion might be Skyrim. So show some respect damn it!

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Tennmuerti

Stiff animations especially the faces are one of the things I noticed even in the demo. It's a valid criticism after many games have done them so much better, Witcher 2 for example.

One must keep in mind however that this is the studio's first major project and they were a bit more concerned with trying to make the game that both honoured the original revered Deus Ex and was also aproachable by todays crowd.

Hopefully by their next game they will have learned a thing or 2 and improve the aesthetic part of the dialogue to match up with the great mechanical part of it.

coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By coreymw

@Tennmuerti said:

Stiff animations especially the faces are one of the things I noticed even in the demo. It's a valid criticism after many games have done them so much better, Witcher 2 for example.

One must keep in mind however that this is the studio's first major project and they were a bit more concerned with trying to make the game that both honoured the original revered Deus Ex and was also aproachable by todays crowd.

Hopefully by their next game they will have learned a thing or 2 and improve the aesthetic part of the dialogue to match up with the great mechanical part of it.

I suppose the excuse could be made that they were developing a game that is a prequel to a 2001 game. Thereby granting them permission to include terrible animations. That just seems a little too dedicated.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Coreymw said:

@Tennmuerti said:

I suppose the excuse could be made that they were developing a game that is a prequel to a 2001 game. Thereby granting them permission to include terrible animations. That just seems a little too dedicated.

That's not a good excuse imo :)

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Nubster
    @Tennmuerti said:

@Coreymw said:

@Tennmuerti said:

That's not a good excuse imo :)

But it's a homage! All Deus Ex games should look dated! In fact, I would be rather angry if a Deus Ex game looked modern and animated impressively.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShaneDev

Eh, I didn't really mind the way they move since every game does it. I am pretty sure the gesture were they scratch the back of their head is lifted straight from Mass Effect. I thought the voice acting was really good for Jensen but Sarif is spotty at a few times with certain words and Pritchards reactions to things are a little poor also.

coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By coreymw

@ShaneDev said:

Eh, I didn't really mind the way they move since every game does it. I am pretty sure the gesture were they scratch the back of their head is lifted straight from Mass Effect. I thought the voice acting was really good for Jensen but Sarif is spotty at a few times with certain words and Pritchards reactions to things are a little poor also.

Every game doesn't do it though. It's inexcusable and looks terrible.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ShaneDev
    @Coreymw said:

@ShaneDev said:

Eh, I didn't really mind the way they move since every game does it. I am pretty sure the gesture were they scratch the back of their head is lifted straight from Mass Effect. I thought the voice acting was really good for Jensen but Sarif is spotty at a few times with certain words and Pritchards reactions to things are a little poor also.

You mean recycle the same conversation animation over and over again for NPC. Yes, lots of game do it and apart from the club hands in Deus Ex they don't look much better.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tennmuerti

@ShaneDev said:

@Coreymw said:

@ShaneDev said:

You mean recycle the same conversation animation over and over again for NPC. Yes, lots of game do it and apart from the club hands in Deus Ex they don't look much better.

I still shudder when I recall Dragon Age 1 & 2 hands.

Those are way worse. brrrrrrr

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.