Coolest sunglasses ever, but...

#1 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

...couldn't the person who augmented Jensen's vision have just put in brightness/contrast settings?

#2 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

Then he'd have to put in an external dial somewhere and there would be more wiring involved.

#3 Posted by believer258 (11907 posts) -

Or given him cybernetic eyes so that he didn't need sunglasses at all?

#4 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

but then you wouldn't be able to tell how cool he is

#5 Posted by Leptok (942 posts) -

Or you could argue that the technology needed to be put into the glasses because it wouldn't work otherwise.

#6 Posted by PassiveKaerenai (326 posts) -

Someone at Eidos was just way into the Matrix.

Uh, I mean, someone at Sarif Industries. Yeah.

#7 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Well yeah, that's what I meant.

#8 Posted by believer258 (11907 posts) -

@EvilNiGHTS said:

@believer258 said:

Well yeah, that's what I meant.

Oh. Well... oops. My bad for not reading very well.

#9 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

cybernetic eyes

I never asked for this.

#10 Posted by believer258 (11907 posts) -

@Morrow said:

cybernetic eyes

I never asked for this.

Who wouldn't want a pair of eyes that will never fade with age? Or eyes that have better vision than any organic eyes? Or eyes that serve as their own sunglasses? Well, provided all of this comes with little to no drawbacks. I guess I wouldn't want them if it means I have to depend on a drug for the rest of my life.

Anyway, to make up for my dumb earlier post in this thread, I'm going to go ahead and say that with cybernetic eyes comes no need for sunglasses. The sun won't be hurting your eyes anymore, so why would you need sunglasses?

#11 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Morrow said:

cybernetic eyes

I never asked for this.

Who wouldn't want a pair of eyes that will never fade with age? Or eyes that have better vision than any organic eyes? Or eyes that serve as their own sunglasses? Well, provided all of this comes with little to no drawbacks. I guess I wouldn't want them if it means I have to depend on a drug for the rest of my life.

Anyway, to make up for my dumb earlier post in this thread, I'm going to go ahead and say that with cybernetic eyes comes no need for sunglasses. The sun won't be hurting your eyes anymore, so why would you need sunglasses?

An EMP wouldn't be very nice if you have cybernetic eyes.

#12 Posted by believer258 (11907 posts) -

@Gargantuan said:

@believer258 said:

@Morrow said:

cybernetic eyes

I never asked for this.

Cybernetic eyes that are EMP resistant. How? I dunno. It's fiction.

#13 Posted by yinstarrunner (1199 posts) -

Doesn't he already have augmented eyes? His iris does some weird spinny shit. I think the glasses are just for aesthetics and hiding his cybernetic eyes from us lowly human folk.

#14 Posted by The_Nubster (2144 posts) -

@yinstarrunner said:

Doesn't he already have augmented eyes? His iris does some weird spinny shit. I think the glasses are just for aesthetics and hiding his cybernetic eyes from us lowly human folk.

I feel like this was mentioned somewhere in the game, that sick-ass sunglasses are less creepy than weird-ass robo-eyes. Or maybe I ginned that up in my head, I dunno, but it makes sense to me.

#15 Posted by Draugen (649 posts) -

"Excuse me, sir. Would you like me to scoop out your eyes and replace them with fake ones, or would you like me to implant you with a frame that pops out the world's coolest sun glasses on command?"

Come on, mate. The answer gives itself. :)

#16 Posted by Wampa1 (668 posts) -

@Draugen: To be fair he didn't get to choose what happened. Pretty sure it's a Robocop situation of "We own him we can do what we want". Though the real answer I'm sure is just that they look cool.

#17 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

Well his eyes are obviously augmented, but maybe the stuff they're made of is fragile, so the glasses are actually for protection from shrapnel or whatever? But then why would they be tinted? I demand free DLC that clears this up!

#18 Posted by NTM (7379 posts) -

@PassiveKaerenai said:

Someone at Eidos was just way into the Matrix.

Uh, I mean, someone at Sarif Industries. Yeah.

More like, the original Deus Ex, which those guys were probably into the Matrix. I'm sure Eidos wasn't so much into the idea of making a character look like someone from the Matrix as much as they were into having Jensen look like JC Denton.

#19 Posted by NegativeCero (3003 posts) -

But if he didn't have the sunglasses, I would find Jensen that much more ridiculous for talking in that gravelly voice of his.

#20 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

Even cybernetic eyes need protection, I don't feel theres a lot that needs explaining away.

#21 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Maybe he just has glaucoma and they can't cure it. Ever thought about that you insensitive bastards.

#22 Posted by HistoryInRust (6315 posts) -

Dude. I forgot this game even exists. I stopped halfway through because of the shotty bosses. Maybe I'll try to finish it.

#23 Posted by Sackmanjones (4705 posts) -

He never asked for those sunglasses

#24 Posted by BisonHero (6526 posts) -

@HistoryInRust said:

Dude. I forgot this game even exists. I stopped halfway through because of the shotty bosses. Maybe I'll try to finish it.

The bosses suck, but make sure you save like 3 or 4 frag mines for each fight, and the bosses go down really quick. If you're halfway through, that sounds like you're already past the first boss, and he's the hardest one since he's so early on that you don't have that many augmentations or very many explosives/good weapons.

The Typhoon system is also really effective, as long as you have some energy bars so that you can use it a few times in a row.

#25 Posted by probablytuna (3662 posts) -

I would like shades that retract into my skull.

#26 Posted by JonSmith (171 posts) -

For an 'in universe' explanation: Perhaps all the cybernetic implants in Jensen's body rendered large parts of him immune to pain, or at least the ability to determine damage beyond visual verification, which is inefficient in a firefight. Where he'd presumably be otherwise concerned. Thus the necessity for a 'HUD', which could instantly report said damage to augmented hardware and essential vitals. However, just implanting that tech directly into his eye sockets would probably get quite annoying, if they couldn't figure out a way to turn it off when he wanted. Thus, the lenses. A relatively unobtrusive way to convey the damage report instantly, that can be retracted at his will.

For an out of universe explanation: They look cool, dude.

#27 Posted by CatsAkimbo (626 posts) -

@JonSmith said:

For an out of universe explanation: They look cool, dude.

People still care about aesthetics in-universe too. Sunglasses could still look cool in the future, so it would make sense to sell implants that look cool. The wealthy people who can afford all that stuff especially want to look stylish as well, I'm sure, otherwise they could have grotesque looking robot attachments all over the place that function well but look inhuman.

#28 Posted by Lake (126 posts) -

@EvilNiGHTS said:

...couldn't the person who augmented Jensen's vision have just put in brightness/contrast settings?

Then how would tell other people to "Deal with it?"

#29 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5007 posts) -

Those are really cool looking sunglasses. Good enough reason for me.

#30 Edited by louiedog (2335 posts) -

Why didn't they augment Jensen's body with dog fur so he didn't need that jacket? Because style.

@HistoryInRust said:

I played as a stealth character and had no trouble with my method. Roll around the later parts of stages with 5 or so mines. When a boss encounter starts throw them all between the two of you.

#31 Posted by ModernAlkemie (363 posts) -

It's Sariff Industries marketing their product. You want your showcase cybernetic superman to look as cool as possible. Imagine how many more people would be on-board with cybernetic implants if they threw in the "badass sunglasses" upgrade.

#32 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen said:

Are they still really cool considering that they retract into your head?

#33 Posted by AndrewB (7613 posts) -

@Gargantuan said:

And a bullet wouldn't be nice if you had organic eyes.

#34 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5007 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

Espesially if they retract into my head, so I can't lose them or accidentally break them.

#35 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

Espesially if they retract into my head, so I can't lose them or accidentally break them.

Take better care of your stuff and then you don't have to get deep cuts into your forehead to protect your eyes from the sun!

#36 Posted by Creamypies (4065 posts) -

I reckon Jensen is way more into gamma settings.

#37 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5007 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

Take better care of your stuff and then you don't have to get deep cuts into your forehead to protect your eyes from the sun!

I don't have a problem with the forehead thing. But if I could choose, I would choose the Illusive Man's eyes instead.

#38 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

I don't have a problem with the forehead thing. But if I could choose, I would choose the Illusive Man's eyes instead.

Good point. Considering he stares directly at a giant burning sun-thingy I bet his eyes are pretty well done.

#39 Posted by AssInAss (2646 posts) -

#40 Posted by Scrawnto (2446 posts) -

@AssInAss: Haha, excellent.

#41 Posted by HatKing (5949 posts) -

@drag said:

but then you wouldn't be able to tell how cool he is

Best, most logical, response. Hahahah....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.