Deus Ex: HR - A MGS4 Love Story

Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

*SPOILERS GALORE!* You have been warned

The dudes at Eidos Montreal must have played a lot of MGS4. Like a LOT of MGS4. After finishing Human Revolution, I was shocked and pleased at how close it comes to Kojima's darling. Lets take a look at some of the similarities between the two.

I call him... Jensnake
  • Stealth action gameplay with lots of optional shooting
  • Crazy conspiracies about giant computers that control people
  • Genetically-engineered protagonists
  • Box robots vs Cow robots
  • The Illuminati vs The Philosophers
  • One-on-one boss battles with cybernetic mercenaries
  • Cigarettes
  • Crazy robot appendages vs crazy octo-camo suits
  • Weapon upgrade systems
  • Computer whiz sidekicks (Otacon vs Pritchard)

Granted, there's till plenty of differences. MGS4 is chock-full of crazy Japanese craziness (final boss fight anyone?), where Deus Ex has more western sensibilities. However both are truly excellent and I hope they inspire even more games in that genre.

Edit: Let's not forget that one of the achievements references Foxhound.

#1 Edited by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

*SPOILERS GALORE!* You have been warned

The dudes at Eidos Montreal must have played a lot of MGS4. Like a LOT of MGS4. After finishing Human Revolution, I was shocked and pleased at how close it comes to Kojima's darling. Lets take a look at some of the similarities between the two.

I call him... Jensnake
  • Stealth action gameplay with lots of optional shooting
  • Crazy conspiracies about giant computers that control people
  • Genetically-engineered protagonists
  • Box robots vs Cow robots
  • The Illuminati vs The Philosophers
  • One-on-one boss battles with cybernetic mercenaries
  • Cigarettes
  • Crazy robot appendages vs crazy octo-camo suits
  • Weapon upgrade systems
  • Computer whiz sidekicks (Otacon vs Pritchard)

Granted, there's till plenty of differences. MGS4 is chock-full of crazy Japanese craziness (final boss fight anyone?), where Deus Ex has more western sensibilities. However both are truly excellent and I hope they inspire even more games in that genre.

Edit: Let's not forget that one of the achievements references Foxhound.

#2 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

Holy crap, they almost look as similar as the iPad and the Galaxy Tab!

#3 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Wow, it's almost as if you'd never played the original Deus Ex. It's almost as if you'd never played or heard of Snatcher. It's almost as if you'd never heard of Cyberpunk, William Gibson, Neuromancer, Philip K. Dick or Blade Runner.

It's almost like you can't understand that Metal Gear as a concept is entirely derived from Cyberpunk. It's almost like you're a Weeaboo.

#4 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow said:

Wow, it's almost as if you'd never played the original Deus Ex. It's almost as if you'd never played or heard of Snatcher. It's almost as if you'd never heard of Cyberpunk, William Gibson, Neuromancer, Philip K. Dick or Blade Runner.

It's almost like you can't understand that Metal Gear as a concept is entirely derived from Cyberpunk. It's almost like you're a Weeaboo.

Wow, who stuck a turnip up your ass today?

#5 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

I am pleased to hear this.

#6 Edited by rift33 (30 posts) -

I 2nd that Enigma777..!  I thought you had a good point. They are both a lot alike.

#7 Posted by SASnake (338 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow said:

Its almost as if the dev team for Deus Ex : HR said they were inspired by MGS..OH WAIT, they DID say that!, Its almost as if the dev team posted a picture on their facebook account of Adam Jensen figure high fiving a Solid Snake figure when the game went gold...OH WAIT!, they DID do that!

#8 Posted by biospank (657 posts) -

OMG is he the solid Jensnake

#9 Posted by Legend (2659 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow Relax man, even the developers acknowledge MGS; the achievement for finishing the game without setting off any alarms is called "Foxiest of Hounds", a reference to FoxHound, the special forces unit that Big Boss and Solid Snake were part of.
#10 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

@Legend said:

@SeriouslyNow Relax man, even the developers acknowledge MGS; the achievement for finishing the game without setting off any alarms is called "Foxiest of Hounds", a reference to FoxHound, the special forces unit that Big Boss and Solid Snake were part of.

Damn, I completely forgot to add that one to the list.

#11 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

Wow, who stuck a turnip up your ass today?

He does have a point though, all of the things you mention might as well have come from some place else. It's just that he's a bit of an asshole and can't put it nicely. But if what @SASnake says is true then I guess you're spot on.

As a side note, I can probably count the number of games this is NOT inspired by on one hand. So much good stuff in here!

#12 Posted by Legend (2659 posts) -
@biospank

You're fired.
#13 Posted by Vinny_Says (5709 posts) -

I'm sure the Original Deus Ex did all that before MGS2 even came out. But you have a good point, a lot of achievements reference MGS and the storylines are pretty parallel. 

On the other hand Deus Ex HR is one the -of if not the- best games I've played this year (I just have to finish one last mission before judging) while MGS4 was completely unplayable for me....but that's just my opinion.

#14 Posted by jkuc316 (981 posts) -
@Legend said:
@biospank

You're fired.
Peace Walker reference?

Anyways, after reading, I have to get Deus Ex:HR now! Sorry Suda51, maybe I'll get No More Heroes next time
#15 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -

@SASnake said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

Its almost as if the dev team for Deus Ex : HR said they were inspired by MGS..OH WAIT, they DID say that!, Its almost as if the dev team posted a picture on their facebook account of Adam Jensen figure high fiving a Solid Snake figure when the game went gold...OH WAIT!, they DID do that!

lol

#16 Posted by biospank (657 posts) -

@jkuc316 said:

@Legend said:
@biospank

You're fired.
Peace Walker reference?

No, he is the dude you controll in 1 and 4 is "Solid Snake" and the dude you controll in peace walker is "Big Boss". He got the name when he killed The Boss in 3. If I wanted to have a Peace Walker referemce I would have had "Naked Jensnake" because big boss was called "Naked Snake".

#17 Posted by jkuc316 (981 posts) -
@biospank said:

@jkuc316 said:

@Legend said:
@biospank

You're fired.
Peace Walker reference?

No, he is the dude you controll in 1 and 4 is "Solid Snake" and the dude you controll in peace walker is "Big Boss". He got the name when he killed The Boss in 3. If I wanted to have a Peace Walker referemce I would have had "Naked Jensnake" because big boss was called "Naked Snake".

No I meant what @Legend said, because I always hear that line when I permanently remove soldiers on Peace Walker. Sorry for causing confusion
#18 Posted by Turambar (6784 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow said:

Aside from the fact that you're completely wrong as there are ample evidence given by Eidos themselves on the influence MGS had on them, how does anything in the OP suggest he's a weeaboo.

#19 Posted by TooWalrus (13202 posts) -

Cigarettes, eh...? Maybe I should buy Deus-ex. Or maybe I just miss Solid Snake & Metal Gear. Did they ever officially cancel MGS Rising? I hope that makes it out, eventually.

#20 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

cow robots? you mean geko robots?

#21 Posted by Spoonman671 (4640 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
cow robots? you mean geko robots?
They definitely moo.
#22 Posted by StarvingGamer (8246 posts) -

I especially liked the fact that you can get augmentations for vision cones on your radar and an alert countdown timer.

#23 Edited by Omega (835 posts) -

My favorite part in Deus Ex Human Revolution is when Shodan makes a cameo. That was cool. 

And yeah, I got a serious MGS4 vibe from Deus Ex: HR. Right down to the enemy AI.

#24 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

@Omega said:

My favorite part in Deus Ex Human Revolution is when Shodan makes a cameo. That was cool. And yeah, I got a serious MGS4 vibe from Deus Ex: HR. Right down to the enemy AI.

Yea, I got the same feeling from the AI. I wonder if it's because it needs to act in specific ways to make stealth viable in games like this.

#25 Posted by krazy_kyle (716 posts) -

...this is a bad thing why?
#26 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

@krazy_kyle said:

...this is a bad thing why?

Did you even read the OP? Where did I say it was a bad thing?

#27 Posted by RadixNegative2 (521 posts) -

I felt the look of the some parts of the game were also very reminiscent of mgs2 and mgs4, particularly how some of the shading and lighting on some objects looked.

#28 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

@ashkanhoss29 said:

I felt the look of the some parts of the game were also very reminiscent of mgs2 and mgs4, particularly how some of the shading and lighting on some objects looked.

I think the mech design is also pretty similar.

#29 Posted by HODGEY3000 (344 posts) -

jensen ..... jensen,,, JENSEN!!!!!!!!!!!   do do, do do do, DO DO DO!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.