Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

Deus Ex: HR - Demo overview (no spoilers)

• 78 results
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Edited By Tennmuerti

As some of you might be aware a demo for Deus Ex: Human Revolution has leaked onto the internets.
    Having played through it I would like to share my thoughts, and hopefully people will be more informed as to what the game is like and if it is any good.

Some disclaimers:

1. This is based on the leaked DEMO version so keep that in mind as some of the points might not apply when the game is released.
    2. I have already pre ordered the full game, so please keep the pirate comments out.
    3. This will includes some images from the game, if mods have a problem with this due to forum rules, please PM me and I will remove them, rather then lock down the topic completely please, (Square Enix and Eidos don't seem to mind people talking about the demo so far)
    4. Will try to keep spoilers to an absolute minimum.
    5. If you have questions after this, I will try to answer them.

TLDR version.

Think Alpha Protocol but in a cyberpunk setting and imo better.

Pros:

1. It's pretty goddamn awesome!
    2. Many multiple ways to complete missions
    3. Well done leveling system
    4. Interesting conversation system
    5. Branching choices/consequences
    6. Looks cool as fuck, incredible style and atmosphere
    7. Expertly implemented game mechanics
    8. Hacking is actually fun an interesting unlike many mini-games in similar games
    9. Runs very smoothly on highest settings
    10. Sense of cohesiveness due to the game systems being explained by fiction

Cons:

1. NPC conversation expressions are on the wooden side
    2. Long load times
    3. Graphics are inconsistent in quality, skybox kinda sucks.
    4. Some problems with loading in textures (not popin/visivility, but slowdowns)
    5. Weird body proportions for some people
    6. Various minor demo issues (which seem easy to fix in full version)
    OK enough bullshit.

Cyberpunk is Back baby!

All sexy an' shit
     All sexy an' shit
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a hybrid fps/rpg set in a not so far flung future. It's a prequel to the previous games in a franchise. Cybernetic improvements and implants are propelling humanity forward and thee is a lot of shit going down. To put a general idea in your mind, take Alpha Protocol as the base, remove the faction systems, add awesome atmosphere, cyborgs, way more ways to go about completing levels and objectives, better shooting feel (if you even want to shoot anyone) and you will be pretty close to Deus Ex: HR . Obviously there is more to it. 
    The demo itself is actually quite substantial and I must have spent more then 10 hours exploring every nook and cranny.
    There is a short prologue, a hefty 1st mission which is also a tutorial, a section of the city acting as a hub with side quests and it's own areas where you need to complete some objectives main and secondary, and a 2nd mission after which the demo ends.

Ladies like to gossip in bathrooms
    When I knew this game way my type:
    "After running around the first minor hub area and checking out everything including both men and ladies toilets, I finally went to the required main quest NPC and promptly got reprimanded for wasting a bunch of time and reminded that cybernetic implants did not make me female"  Said NPC also was kind of a dick and gave me a bunch of shit in general.
    Whether or not this game is better then the original Deus Ex I cannot say, having played but not finished that one. But it seems to measure up at the very least especially if people don't put on their rose tinted goggles on. It definately does a better job of honouring the old franchise unlike games like Fallout3 or Xcom. Regardless of it's roots, this seems like a very solid game and if you enjoyed the hybrid shooter/rpgs like Mass Effect or Alpha Protocol it's definately worth checking out.

Play how you want to.

layers, cakes have layers
    Multiple approaches. Arguably the greatest strength of the game and the most important part of it (and also what the original is mostly known for) The games flexibility works on several levels. Lets start with the basic one, tactical mission approach and level design.
    The most straightforward way to go about getting through a level is to go guns blazing if you want to for example. Basic shooting is from the FPS perspective, switching to TPS while in cover. You have multiple tools at your disposal: assault rifles, shotguns, stun weapons, emp/flash/frag grenades, mines etc. (mele is a one shot kill on human enemies but it's limited by your energy reserves). The other directly opposing way is to go all stealthy like and try to silently take out enemies, avoid security, sneak around, etc. The levels themselves offer multiple approaches and many routes to traverse them. The cool part is that you can mix and match any style and any path through a level. This is not like you are picking either to go by path A, B or C, the various routes
    a floor plan of a part of one of the levels, not showing hidden routes
    through the level can be stringed together in various ways depending on what tools and skills you have access to like hacking, moving heavy objects, breaking through walls, stealth, availability of codes, side objectives. If you are a supreme completionist you can just go through ALL the different routes to explore the maps in their entirety and try out masochistic things to take out multiple enemies that are grouped together silently without raising an alert. You can sneak through vents, use cover to hide, create distractions for guards to kill them or avoid them. Combine the tools and skills at your disposal in fun ways: I once threw a flash grenade at 2 guards talking to each other, ran up to them and did a double take down (skill), was pretty fucking badass.
    Oh since we are talking about guards.You can take them out lethally or non lethally (either option from distance or in melee) the non lethal take down creates less noise and gives more XP, the downside is that if you fuck up and the body is found then his mates can wake his ass up.
    Another example would be a mission you get in the first game hub, it's not a separate level per se.
    You have to get into the police station and retrieve a certain item.
    We can: 
    1. walk right in and try to convince an old friend to let us walk around the station
    2. use the sewer system to get in from below but you will have to hack a laser fence with that approach
    3. stack some boxes in the side ally to jump a fence, climb up the fire escape and use the vents at the top of the building
    4. shoot our way in
    5. sneak in through the front entrance if we have stealth abilities
    You can even experiment with the game environment to a limited degree to game the system. In the above police station for example there is a hackable terminal behind in a room you can sneak into, unfortunately one of the guarding cops happens to be looking though the rooms window onto the workstation, so if you try to hack it he will see you and raise an alarm. So what I did was go back out to where the cop was standing guard, find a bunch of boxes throughout the level and stack them between the guard and the window, after some tries I managed to block his line of sight and he did not see me hack the terminal.

The flexibility is not limited to level approach, it extends to NPC interaction together with choices and consequence. I will have to use an example here, but it's not spoilery. At the end of one of the levels we will confront a "bad dude" with a hostage (our orders are to neutralize him), here are the the various ways to hadnle the situation that I know of: 
    • let the bad dude go, he will take the hostage with him.
    • try to talk him into releasing the hostage (this is hard):
    • if we fail he will get away with the hostage
    • if we succeed he will let the hostage go and slip away
    • if we succeed really well he will let the hostage go and promise to help us out later, then slip away
    • ignore him and go aggressive, bad dude will go into animation to kill the hostage
    • most likely he will manage to kill the hostage at this point we can kill him or stun him (if we only stun him, we can meet him later in the police station)
    • if you are fast enough you might manage to pull out a gun to either stun him or kill him before he kills the hostage (i keep failing but i know it's possible, others have done it)
    Depending on weather or not the hostage was killed/saved/taken or bad dude killed/stunned/ran away we will have some different interactions with other NPCs and have some minor variations down the road also. For example the first time around I saved the hostage and let the bad dude go but he came through and provided me with a couple of codes that could be used on the majority of doors and computers in the second mission if I wanted.
    Like I said, this is really where the game shines.

Better, Stronger, Faster

choosing is HARD :(
    The system in which you gain new skills can't technically be called a leveling system because there are no levels. You gain XP and after reaching a certain threshold are awarded with a point to spend on improving your abilities. However you can also purchase these points for a lot of money in the cybernetic clinic (limited supplies) or find them in the world. Another cool part here is that not only all the ingame interface stuff is explained with ingame fiction together with your cybernetic augmentation, so is the system on how you gain your abilities. I found this cohesive approach quite satisfying. Some abilities cost more then one point and it seems like I was always tor between where to spend them, since all the skills seem useful in various situations. Overall it seemed well balanced and each upgrade meaningful. I soon adopted an approach of keeping 2-3 points in reserve rather then spending them, to be used when a situation arose where they would really help out.
     why sawed off shotgun is sawed off, learn bitch
    There is an inventory system which limits the items you can carry, with some items taking quite a large part of your space. Advantage of handguns: small size. Disadvantage of a bazooka: it's freaking BIG. Connection here is that you can use some of those precious points to upgrade your carry capacity :P Guns have various upgrades you can apply if you buy or come across upgrade kits. You get XP for almost everything you do, taking out enemies, hacking, finding secret routes, completing an objectives without anyone seeing you, never raising an alarm, reading research data, etc

Let us converse dear chap

The dialogue is a mixed bag, but it offers enough depth.
    The actual dialogue system is great mechanically. First of all the developers took heed of people bitching about conversation choices in games like Mass Effect / Alpha Protocol /
    some options are only available with cybernetic upgrades
    DA2 where you are provided with tiny ass one liners which frequently did not match up with what your dude actual said. So: you still have those small choices, BUT wenyou mouse over the choice you will see an expanded dialogue which is almost exactly what your character will say. So both people who don't want to read and who want control over their choices are satisfied! There is also an interesting persuasion system that is quite well done imo, and a way to sometimes force what you want by use of pheromones. Like I said mechanically is satisfying.
    The bummer comes in when dudes start talking. After games like L.A.Noire and Witcher 2 the animations are positively wooden. Half the time the only thing that moves on an NPC when talking are their lips. It's downright jarring. And faces themselves are of mixed quality, some have kinda bad textures. Voice acting is hit and miss, with great performances by some NPCs, terrible by others. The main character voice will very likely be a love/hate scenario with a lot of people 

Eye Candy

Like the dialogue system this is has some good moments and some bad moments.
    Good things first: atmosphere and style are excellent. I mean damn, it looks cool as fuck. The visual design is superb and really hammers in the cyberpunk feel of the game. Seriously 10/10 to dudes who designed the environments and the effects, props. 99% of the time the game also runs as smooth as a baby's bottom on max settings, on my gaming laptop.
    Bad things: technically the game is not very impressive. Even on max settings it looks a bit dated when compared to PC games like Withcher 2 for example. Up close most things look good, but the game very quickly degrades object quality with distance. Another issue is that the game seems to not be streaming in textures smoothly, that 1% of the time when you are quickly traveling from one area to another the game starts to really chug for a few seconds before becoming super smooth again. Hopefully whent he game is released we can get some more graphical options and they work out those texture loading kinks. But this is not a simple fix, so who knows. Also some of the NPCs  seem to have weird body proportions. Meanwhile here are some images for you to judge by yourselves, like all of the above this is max settings, 1920x1080:
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Hacking

Hacking is a major part of the game. There are many many doors/computers/safes/security systems to hack. Like mentioned in the first main part of this writeup if you don't want to hack shit, you don't have to, there are many ways to get what you want. However I recommend you hack. Main reason is that hacking is actually FUN! There is no usual silly mini game here. Instead hacking is pushed to a more abstract layer, you are not really a hacker, but you are a dude who knows enough, kind of like a script kiddie, you know how to use programs that do the hacking for you, your job as a human operator is not to hack yourself but to decide how to hack. I'm not going to explain the system in full detail,
    average difficulty hack
    average difficulty hack
    but the basics are that you have a network of nodes that must be navigated to reach target node/nodes, nodes have difficulty degrees, which increase hack times and chances of detection, when you are detected a security countermeasures activate and try to lock you out, at which point you need to works fast. The are different types of nodes that have various effects. The node webs you hack will vary from very simplistic ones to really big ones of 20+ nodes. There are some extra programs you can deploy when hacking that help you out, you can fortify your own nodes, capture bonus nodes for extra goodies, etc. Security systems are way way more effective then you, cleaning out and upgrading all connected nodes simultaneously, hence why the head start before they detect you. Just to give you an idea of how important hacking is in the game 4 out of 21 upgrade paths are just for hacking. I must have hacked over several dozen devices during the demo and not one of them was identical (there were a couple similar topologies but never with the same nodes).

Miscellaneous bullshit

Odds and ends that don't merit their own section.
    Skybox looks really fucking bad, I mean come on, is see boxes ffs
    There are hookers, no you can't solicit their services, it wouldn't fit the character or the atmosphere anyway.
    Some serious load times in this demo, maybe they'll fix this maybe not.
    Had a couple of crashes while playing.
    Tutorial system in the demo has many issues. If you access the tutorials through the game menu they don't have voice overs. They are voiced when you get prompted for tutorial tips ingame, however the text below them is messed up completely seeming to pull from random dialogue. Also the tutorial is for the Xbox controller only even tho this is a PC demo. But the tutorials are easy to fix and stick out so I assume this will not be an issue with the full version.

In conclusion: game is pretty dope imo.

If you have questions, ask.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Tennmuerti

As some of you might be aware a demo for Deus Ex: Human Revolution has leaked onto the internets.
    Having played through it I would like to share my thoughts, and hopefully people will be more informed as to what the game is like and if it is any good.

Some disclaimers:

1. This is based on the leaked DEMO version so keep that in mind as some of the points might not apply when the game is released.
    2. I have already pre ordered the full game, so please keep the pirate comments out.
    3. This will includes some images from the game, if mods have a problem with this due to forum rules, please PM me and I will remove them, rather then lock down the topic completely please, (Square Enix and Eidos don't seem to mind people talking about the demo so far)
    4. Will try to keep spoilers to an absolute minimum.
    5. If you have questions after this, I will try to answer them.

TLDR version.

Pros:

1. It's pretty goddamn awesome!
    2. Many multiple ways to complete missions
    3. Well done leveling system
    4. Interesting conversation system
    5. Branching choices/consequences
    6. Looks cool as fuck, incredible style and atmosphere
    7. Expertly implemented game mechanics
    8. Hacking is actually fun an interesting unlike many mini-games in similar games
    9. Runs very smoothly on highest settings
    10. Sense of cohesiveness due to the game systems being explained by fiction

Cons:

1. NPC conversation expressions are on the wooden side
    2. Long load times
    3. Graphics are inconsistent in quality, skybox kinda sucks.
    4. Some problems with loading in textures (not popin/visivility, but slowdowns)
    5. Weird body proportions for some people
    6. Various minor demo issues (which seem easy to fix in full version)
    OK enough bullshit.

Cyberpunk is Back baby!

All sexy an' shit
     All sexy an' shit
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a hybrid fps/rpg set in a not so far flung future. It's a prequel to the previous games in a franchise. Cybernetic improvements and implants are propelling humanity forward and thee is a lot of shit going down. To put a general idea in your mind, take Alpha Protocol as the base, remove the faction systems, add awesome atmosphere, cyborgs, way more ways to go about completing levels and objectives, better shooting feel (if you even want to shoot anyone) and you will be pretty close to Deus Ex: HR . Obviously there is more to it. 
    The demo itself is actually quite substantial and I must have spent more then 10 hours exploring every nook and cranny.
    There is a short prologue, a hefty 1st mission which is also a tutorial, a section of the city acting as a hub with side quests and it's own areas where you need to complete some objectives main and secondary, and a 2nd mission after which the demo ends.

When I knew this game way my type:
    "After running around the first minor hub area and checking out everything including both men and ladies toilets, I finally went to the required main quest NPC and promptly got reprimanded for wasting a bunch of time and reminded that cybernetic implants did not make me female"  Said NPC also was kind of a dick and gave me a bunch of shit in general.
    Whether or not this game is better then the original Deus Ex I cannot say, having played but not finished that one. But it seems to measure up at the very least especially if people don't put on their rose tinted goggles on. It definately does a better job of honouring the old franchise unlike games like Fallout3 or Xcom. Regardless of it's roots, this seems like a very solid game and if you enjoyed the hybrid shooter/rpgs like Mass Effect or Alpha Protocol it's definately worth checking out.

Play how you want to.

Multiple approaches. Arguably the greatest strength of the game and the most important part of it (and also what the original is mostly known for) The games flexibility works on several levels. Lets start with the basic one, tactical mission approach and level design.
    The most straightforward way to go about getting through a level is to go guns blazing if you want to for example. Basic shooting is from the FPS perspective, switching to TPS while in cover. You have multiple tools at your disposal: assault rifles, shotguns, stun weapons, emp/flash/frag grenades, mines etc. (mele is a one shot kill on human enemies but it's limited by your energy reserves). The other directly opposing way is to go all stealthy like and try to silently take out enemies, avoid security, sneak around, etc. The levels themselves offer multiple approaches and many routes to traverse them. The cool part is that you can mix and match any style and any path through a level. This is not like you are picking either to go by path A, B or C, the various routes
    through the level can be stringed together in various ways depending on what tools and skills you have access to like hacking, moving heavy objects, breaking through walls, stealth, availability of codes, side objectives. If you are a supreme completionist you can just go through ALL the different routes to explore the maps in their entirety and try out masochistic things to take out multiple enemies that are grouped together silently without raising an alert. You can sneak through vents, use cover to hide, create distractions for guards to kill them or avoid them. Combine the tools and skills at your disposal in fun ways: I once threw a flash grenade at 2 guards talking to each other, ran up to them and did a double take down (skill), was pretty fucking badass.
    Oh since we are talking about guards.You can take them out lethally or non lethally (either option from distance or in melee) the non lethal take down creates less noise and gives more XP, the downside is that if you fuck up and the body is found then his mates can wake his ass up.
    Another example would be a mission you get in the first game hub, it's not a separate level per se.
    You have to get into the police station and retrieve a certain item.
    We can: 
    1. walk right in and try to convince an old friend to let us walk around the station
    2. use the sewer system to get in from below but you will have to hack a laser fence with that approach
    3. stack some boxes in the side ally to jump a fence, climb up the fire escape and use the vents at the top of the building
    4. shoot our way in
    5. sneak in through the front entrance if we have stealth abilities
    You can even experiment with the game environment to a limited degree to game the system. In the above police station for example there is a hackable terminal behind in a room you can sneak into, unfortunately one of the guarding cops happens to be looking though the rooms window onto the workstation, so if you try to hack it he will see you and raise an alarm. So what I did was go back out to where the cop was standing guard, find a bunch of boxes throughout the level and stack them between the guard and the window, after some tries I managed to block his line of sight and he did not see me hack the terminal.

The flexibility is not limited to level approach, it extends to NPC interaction together with choices and consequence. I will have to use an example here, but it's not spoilery. At the end of one of the levels we will confront a "bad dude" with a hostage (our orders are to neutralize him), here are the the various ways to hadnle the situation that I know of: 
    • let the bad dude go, he will take the hostage with him.
    • try to talk him into releasing the hostage (this is hard):
    • if we fail he will get away with the hostage
    • if we succeed he will let the hostage go and slip away
    • if we succeed really well he will let the hostage go and promise to help us out later, then slip away
    • ignore him and go aggressive, bad dude will go into animation to kill the hostage
    • most likely he will manage to kill the hostage at this point we can kill him or stun him (if we only stun him, we can meet him later in the police station)
    • if you are fast enough you might manage to pull out a gun to either stun him or kill him before he kills the hostage (i keep failing but i know it's possible, others have done it)
    Depending on weather or not the hostage was killed/saved/taken or bad dude killed/stunned/ran away we will have some different interactions with other NPCs and have some minor variations down the road also. For example the first time around I saved the hostage and let the bad dude go but he came through and provided me with a couple of codes that could be used on the majority of doors and computers in the second mission if I wanted.
    Like I said, this is really where the game shines.

Better, Stronger, Faster

The system in which you gain new skills can't technically be called a leveling system because there are no levels. You gain XP and after reaching a certain threshold are awarded with a point to spend on improving your abilities. However you can also purchase these points for a lot of money in the cybernetic clinic (limited supplies) or find them in the world. Another cool part here is that not only all the ingame interface stuff is explained with ingame fiction together with your cybernetic augmentation, so is the system on how you gain your abilities. I found this cohesive approach quite satisfying. Some abilities cost more then one point and it seems like I was always tor between where to spend them, since all the skills seem useful in various situations. Overall it seemed well balanced and each upgrade meaningful. I soon adopted an approach of keeping 2-3 points in reserve rather then spending them, to be used when a situation arose where they would really help out.
    There is an inventory system which limits the items you can carry, with some items taking quite a large part of your space. Advantage of handguns: small size. Disadvantage of a bazooka: it's freaking BIG. Connection here is that you can use some of those precious points to upgrade your carry capacity :P Guns have various upgrades you can apply if you buy or come across upgrade kits. You get XP for almost everything you do, taking out enemies, hacking, finding secret routes, completing an objectives without anyone seeing you, never raising an alarm, reading research data, etc

Let us converse dear chap

The dialogue is a mixed bag, but it offers enough depth.
    The actual dialogue system is great mechanically. First of all the developers took heed of people bitching about conversation choices in games like Mass Effect / Alpha Protocol /
    DA2 where you are provided with tiny ass one liners which frequently did not match up with what your dude actual said. So: you still have those small choices, BUT wenyou mouse over the choice you will see an expanded dialogue which is almost exactly what your character will say. So both people who don't want to read and who want control over their choices are satisfied! There is also an interesting persuasion system that is quite well done imo, and a way to sometimes force what you want by use of pheromones. Like I said mechanically is satisfying.
    The bummer comes in when dudes start talking. After games like L.A.Noire and Witcher 2 the animations are positively wooden. Half the time the only thing that moves on an NPC when talking are their lips. It's downright jarring. And faces themselves are of mixed quality, some have kinda bad textures. Voice acting is hit and miss, with great performances by some NPCs, terrible by others. The main character voice will very likely be a love/hate scenario with a lot of people 

Eye Candy

Like the dialogue system this is has some good moments and some bad moments.
    Good things first: atmosphere and style are excellent. I mean damn, it looks cool as fuck. The visual design is superb and really hammers in the cyberpunk feel of the game. Seriously 10/10 to dudes who designed the environments and the effects, props. 99% of the time the game also runs as smooth as a baby's bottom on max settings, on my gaming laptop.
    Bad things: technically the game is not very impressive. Even on max settings it looks a bit dated when compared to PC games like Withcher 2 for example. Up close most things look good, but the game very quickly degrades object quality with distance. Another issue is that the game seems to not be streaming in textures smoothly, that 1% of the time when you are quickly traveling from one area to another the game starts to really chug for a few seconds before becoming super smooth again. Hopefully whent he game is released we can get some more graphical options and they work out those texture loading kinks. But this is not a simple fix, so who knows. Also some of the NPCs  seem to have weird body proportions. Meanwhile here are some images for you to judge by yourselves, like all of the above this is max settings, 1920x1080:
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Hacking

Hacking is a major part of the game. There are many many doors/computers/safes/security systems to hack. Like mentioned in the first main part of this writeup if you don't want to hack shit, you don't have to, there are many ways to get what you want. However I recommend you hack. Main reason is that hacking is actually FUN! There is no usual silly mini game here. Instead hacking is pushed to a more abstract layer, you are not really a hacker, but you are a dude who knows enough, kind of like a script kiddie, you know how to use programs that do the hacking for you, your job as a human operator is not to hack yourself but to decide how to hack. I'm not going to explain the system in full detail,
    average difficulty hack
    average difficulty hack
    but the basics are that you have a network of nodes that must be navigated to reach target node/nodes, nodes have difficulty degrees, which increase hack times and chances of detection, when you are detected a security countermeasures activate and try to lock you out, at which point you need to works fast. The are different types of nodes that have various effects. The node webs you hack will vary from very simplistic ones to really big ones of 20+ nodes. There are some extra programs you can deploy when hacking that help you out, you can fortify your own nodes, capture bonus nodes for extra goodies, etc. Security systems are way way more effective then you, cleaning out and upgrading all connected nodes simultaneously, hence why the head start before they detect you. Just to give you an idea of how important hacking is in the game 4 out of 21 upgrade paths are just for hacking. I must have hacked over several dozen devices during the demo and not one of them was identical (there were a couple similar topologies but never with the same nodes).

Miscellaneous bullshit

Odds and ends that don't merit their own section.
    Skybox looks really fucking bad, I mean come on, is see boxes ffs
    There are hookers, no you can't solicit their services, it wouldn't fit the character or the atmosphere anyway.
    Some serious load times in this demo, maybe they'll fix this maybe not.
    Had a couple of crashes while playing.
    Tutorial system in the demo has many issues. If you access the tutorials through the game menu they don't have voice overs. They are voiced when you get prompted for tutorial tips ingame, however the text below them is messed up completely seeming to pull from random dialogue. Also the tutorial is for the Xbox controller only even tho this is a PC demo. But the tutorials are easy to fix and stick out so I assume this will not be an issue with the full version.

In conclusion: game is pretty dope imo.

If you have questions, ask.
    Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Mars_Cleric

already pre-bought it a while ago so I'm gonna get it anyway but I'm glad it's looking good.

I still play Deus Ex evry now and then so I'm super excited

Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ChristianCastillo

How often did loading screens show up or rather when did they show up?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @ChristianCastillo said:
    How often did loading screens show up or rather when did they show up?
    In the game itself not often.
    Loading screens are only between levels and for a couple major buildings in the hub.
    It's really only an issue if you are reloading a lot.
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Kyreo

Awesome read, duder!

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dragonzord

game is not pretty dope

game is MEGA dope. I'm glad Eidos was 'cool' with the leak because I know it changed a bunch of people's minds for the better because of this.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Deusx

Thanks for this, I actually don't want to play the leaked demo since I don't want to spoil a second of that beautifull game. I'm just glad people are having such a great time with it. This will not dissapoint.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Adamsons

Only had a fleeting interest in this until playing the leak, will probably give the demo another playthrough trying out some different augs, as I can imagine you would have to adopt pretty different play styles according to the ones you select. 

At first I wanted to buy augs that improved combat etc, but after a little exploring I felt that I was missing too much by not putting points into hacking (there are a lot of places that are blocked off by security doors with panels that need to be hacked.)

The inventory system was for me, infuriating at first. After dropping my sniper rifle and sticking to a silenced handgun / assault rifle it was smooth sailing.

One thing that confused me though was -- are there supposed to be any penalties for killing most / if not all bystanders? 

I tried to use stealth in the police station mission but that failed hard as I had no stealth augs, and I was ultimately forced to annihilate everybody. To my surprise there were no repercussions (or at least none that I noticed.) So i ventured out and killed most of the punks and hobos, and then the shopkeepers.

Finally

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By niamahai

how does the game tell you how 'stealthy' you are? is there a gauge or something?

trying to sneak my way around in Alpha Protocol was kinda.. dumb.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SlashDance

It's not a demo, it's a preview build. They wouldn't make a 10 hour long demo.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Adamsons:

Yes I killed that enemy. The amount of damage the EMP does depends on the distance from target. If it goes off right under him it's a one hit kill. There is also a rocket launcher in the same room.

@niamahai:

There is no stealth gauge.

At the start you have to do it manually. Your footsteps make sound to you as much as to the enemy (crouching basically negates sound anyway). Their cone of vision is what you would expect a normal human would have and depends on where they are looking at. If you are in cover then an enemy on the same height level will never see you unless they are looking from an appropriate angle. Also enemies that see you only become alert at first, they only turn hostile if they see you for a period of time.

As you level up you can put points into augmentations that let you see on the minimap how much noise you are making or the cone of vision of enemies or completely silence your steps or turn on stealth(invisibility) for a few seconds.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Nice read! 

I am just happy this game exists whether I play it or not I hope it does really good critically and sales wise :D

DaSmart1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DaSmart1

Pretty much agree with everything you said. I love this beta, and it ends right when the story starts picking up pace so it makes you want to pick up the game. The variety of ways to tackle an objective are astounding. Don't want to hack but need to get in to an area behind a locked door? Take out a guard and get the passcode, find a vent the goes around it, or use an automatic unlocking device. Want to go stealthy? More than possible, even with no augs at all. Want to go guns blazing? Also completely possible, and both stealth and assault tactics are appropriately difficult. If you need something done but you don't have the right abilities for a certain path, there are always several others, and that's what I love most about the game.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Adamsons

I haven't tried it yet but instead of hacking / using auto hack tools, apparently you can just blow the doors up instead.

Edit - something I also forgot to mention. Load times are staggering, I really hope they are vastly improved.

DaSmart1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DaSmart1

My load times were bad but not as bad as I've seen in some videos (some people seem to get 1-2 minute load times while mine have never gone over 10 seconds).

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By eroticfishcake

I got a strong Metal Gear Solid vibe going through the compound which isn't a bad thing. But yeah, apart from cutscenes and boss fights (no!) it seems like a much, much better sequel then Invisible War ever was. I don't think I could be happier for it.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Adamsons: Nice didn't know you could blow the doors up, could be useful if you aren't going with a sneak approach.

@DaSmart1: Yea my load times were up to a minute long.

@eroticfishcake: True, I wish you were given a few more options at the end of the demo.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By Zippedbinders

I'm actually incredibly relieved that its turning out like a good game, the developers had an enormous task ahead of them and (I'm sure) a lot of pressure from the fanbase. Everything I'm hearing about it though sounds like exactly what I'd want out of a Deus Ex.

DaSmart1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DaSmart1

I think my biggest complaint is the amount of cutscenes. I can understand pre-rendered cutscenes for bug story moments, but sometimes they had cutscenes for the smallest of evenets (like Adam walking into the LIMB clinic, or meeting Sarif in his office). Also, couldn't they have at least made them look a little more like the gameplay if they were gonna have so many? I mean it would have been great if they looked like they do in the trailers, but it's so jarring in the game because they look completely different and they're horribly compressed giving them poor quality anyway.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Cincaid

I'm really, really excited of this game as well (even if I think it's a tad weird you're complaining about stuff like long loading times found in a preview build the public were not supposed to play). I have faith that the final product will be awesome!

Bongos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bongos

People are going to talk about this game for years like the original deus ex.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By DocHaus

I'm hearing good things about this game, and it's one of the two coming out this year that I am actually thinking of preordering.

Also, Adam Jensen is living the dream.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#23  Edited By DJJoeJoe

it's common that load times are the last thing to get optimization, so ideally the comments about the long load times will be unfounded for the final version of the game. 

Also things like cutscene compression could obviously be changed for retail.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tennmuerti said: 

TLDR version.

Good enough for me!
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By warxsnake

Great post man, thanks

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Tennmuerti

@CrazyChris:@DJJoeJoe: I really hope that the load times get fixed duders.

@DocHaus said:

I'm hearing good things about this game, and it's one of the two coming out this year that I am actually thinking of preordering.

Also, Adam Jensen is living the dream.

Lmao, that was hilarious. Especially the part where the cops were trying to revive the pedestrians!

greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By greenygrey

At firs, I was like "meh". But after seeing more and more of this game, it certainly looks to be what Invisible War should have been from the start. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm REALLY excited for this game.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Tennmuerti

I'm kind of disappointed in hearing he GB crew thoughts on the new Deus Ex.

This is really not the kind of game you can play properly at a convention for a few minutes and get ANY real sense of how the game holds up.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Marz
    @Tennmuerti: Yeah i have mixed feelings now, but it's interesting hearing Patrick Klepek say the first game was his favorite game of all time and he just didn't like the new game, so it doesn't sound like it's going to be a polished game by the time it's released.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Marz said:

@Tennmuerti: Yeah i have mixed feelings now, but it's interesting hearing Patrick Klepek say the first game was his favorite game of all time and he just didn't like the new game, so it doesn't sound like it's going to be a polished game by the time it's released.

Keep in mind a lot of people have their rose tinted goggles on when it comes to their old favorite games. The original Deus Ex was revolutionary (no pun intended) for it's time. But go back and play it now (I did just that) and it put's things into perspective.

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By Nomin

I'm afraid that if it is similar to Alpha Protocol, then it is going to get 'the Alpha Protocol' treatment by the lamestreet media at large, only to come back a few months later after the game had flopped with a sheepish mea culpa saying 'you know, that game wasn't as bad as we first made it out to be'.  

DaSmart1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DaSmart1

Honestly, GB didn't really play the game long enough to get a good feel for the game. Just ask people who played the beta. I can honestly say I don't know a single person who played the beta and didn't like it.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By vitor
    @DaSmart1 said:
    I think my biggest complaint is the amount of cutscenes. I can understand pre-rendered cutscenes for bug story moments, but sometimes they had cutscenes for the smallest of evenets (like Adam walking into the LIMB clinic, or meeting Sarif in his office). Also, couldn't they have at least made them look a little more like the gameplay if they were gonna have so many? I mean it would have been great if they looked like they do in the trailers, but it's so jarring in the game because they look completely different and they're horribly compressed giving them poor quality anyway.
    I thought I was the only one that was bothered by that so much.... 

It just gives the game a wildly inconsistent look and, honestly, they look awful as they're clearly encoded in 720p and the image quality is actually below the ingame quality, despite all the extra effects/edge smoothing they employ in those. If they were of the quality of the CGI teasers I wouldn't mind but they really stand out as is. Wish they went for all in-engine stuff. 

Enjoyed the demo but the world felt very stale to me. NPCs just stood in place and had no routines, there was no traffic and every environment felt like a static map and not a breathing world which bothered me. Made the game feel a little antiquated when compared to more recent titles. 
    DaSmart1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DaSmart1
    @Vitor: I definitely see where you're coming from, although it didn't bother me quite as much. But it is weird when you knock someone out in the middle of the street and they stay there forever. They never wake up and nobody ever hauls them off. Stuff like that. I wouldn't say the world is stale, just lifeless. It looks beautiful but nothing ever really happens. Nobody's ever driving around, everybody's always in the same place and doing the same things, always having the same conversations. It's just...odd. Despite this, I still think the CG scenes are the worst problem. They're just such poor quality and the world in the CG scenes looks nothing like the world in gameplay; all the lighting and colors are all different and it's very jarring.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By vitor

@DaSmart1: The story seems potentially interesting but the way it's presented via those poor cutscenes, and the general delivery with NPCs/dialogue is just a little underwhelming. Not to mention the fact that the game seems to expect you to know a lot more about the world and the organisations within it than it's actually willing to explain.

DaSmart1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DaSmart1
    @Vitor said:

@DaSmart1: The story seems potentially interesting but the way it's presented via those poor cutscenes, and the general delivery with NPCs/dialogue is just a little underwhelming. Not to mention the fact that the game seems to expect you to know a lot more about the world and the organisations within it than it's actually willing to explain.

Really? I never got that impression. The only really important organizations you need to know in the beta are Sarif and FEMA, and both are explained pretty quickly. As far as current events in the world you just need to know that augmentations are a new thing that are causing a lot of controversy and political issues, which is definitely well explained. As far as story presentation, I think it's alright. The CG is definitely a downside but the dialogue seems to be well-written and the acting is pretty decent most of the time. The main characters look impressive but it's the less important NPC's that are definitely the glaring issue.
    SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SlashDance

I don't know what game Patrick Klepek played to find it so much worse than the first one.

If anything Human Revolution is too much like Deus Ex 1.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By KowalskiManDown

How's the music? Cos the stuff in the trailers is beyond epic.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @creamypies: Pretty good so far though I still haven't found a particular track that stands out to me. There's some good throwbacks to the first game too which is cute. 

Speaking of which, I'm pretty surprised with the staff's impressions on the game since it plays just fine to me as well as how some people think the graphics are bad. Granted, they're not Crysis 2 or BF3 but it's got a great art style then both those games ever had.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ryanwho

I put up with bad gameplay for a cool experience almost every time I play a blockbuster game. So that alone isn't scaring me away.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#41  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Tennmuerti said:

@Marz said:

Keep in mind a lot of people have their rose tinted goggles on when it comes to their old favorite games. The original Deus Ex was revolutionary (no pun intended) for it's time. But go back and play it now (I did just that) and it put's things into perspective.

I'd like to second this, having played and blogged about Deus Ex fairly recently. There's a lot of stuff that that game does extremely, almost frighteningly well. It's just that the bread and butter mechanics were less than amazing then and are certainly less than amazing now. I'd just chalk it down to "Game Journalists rarely go back and play old games and thus they always have a skewed perspective of what has aged well and what hasn't". If anything, your preview has gotten me more interested in this game. And if it turns out to be another Alpha Protocol? I'll just roll with that particular punch (although initial critical reviews will determine how much I am willing to spend on this game). For all the mess I talk about AP, there are still aspects of it that are well done.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ryanwho

A lot of people who shit on AP never even played it. So many bad posts on it read like "I saw enough scores to talk shit about this game" and its like, who the fuck does that? Its a good story with good characters, great dialogue system. Really the only nadir is the combat, and the Obsidian trademarked jank.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By KowalskiManDown

@eroticfishcake: I think the game looks nice. Sure, it's no match for that original CG trailer that they put out... but still, it hardly looks bad,

I loved the first game, and couldn't be more happy with what I've seen of Human Revolution thus far. Can't wait until August.

@ryanwho: I'm with you dude. Alpha Protocol was awesome!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#44  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @ryanwho: Eh, I did play Alpha Protocol. Obviously the gameplay is the weak point, but I wasn't the biggest fan of the story (basically every modern espionage trope smooshed together in a series of vignettes sort of resembling a coherent plot) or a lot of the characters (basically, I felt like the game never gave me a reason to care about a lot of the people I interacted with. Obviously Bioware has a similar problem but I think they have a better ratio).  I've gotten to the point where I understand why people like it, but I still totally disagree. Actual realization of that "Your choices have consequences" nonsense found in plenty of games does not, as a singular point, automatically make the game amazing. But whatever. I don't want to really talk about that game anymore.
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By Nasar7

Thanks for the write-up man, I'm following this game with interest and really want it to do well.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Tennmuerti

So I was giving the demo another pass yesterday. Being a completionist I was pretty sure to have seen everything the first time around.
    Boy was I wrong.

Gave myself some extra skill points to broaden the options a bit, first of all. :)
    Spent several hours scrubbing through the first main hub area with a fine tooth comb and monkeying around with the game systems.
    Here are some random ass observations:

• discovered probably another 10 or so little secret areas
    • for example in one of the sewers there is a weak wall you can break through that contains some buried police cases along with 5+ passwords for computers in the police station, plenty of little shit like that
    • preorder silenced sniper rifle - there are 2 of these available in the first little city hub already, one hidden, another beyond high level locks (making the preorder bonus insignificant, beyond some cash)
    • weak walls can be broken with explosives or bullets, you don't need the special augmentation (take a lot of bullets) BUT the augmentation is still quite useful since it highlights all breakable walls, making them way way easier to find
    • electrified water can be traversed by leapfrogging 2 boxes while standing on them :P
    • enemies will investigate where the shot came from when you fire a standard weapon
    • enemies will investigate the bullet impact if you are using a suppressed weapon (this is very useful to create distractions if throw able objects are unavailable)
    • weapon modifications come in 3 types: special mods that are unique to specific weapons, one off mods like suppressors or laser targeting, and general mods that can be applied multiple times like damage ammo count etc (at least that's what can be seen from demo) not all weapons support all mods
    • melee kill and stun animations depend on enemy positioning plus some randomisation
    • tranquilizer darts work instantly if you do a head shot
    • you can hack your bosses computer for some nice info (it's very high level and topology is a bitch you pretty much need to use consumable hacking aids in addition)
    • sniper rifle sway can be eliminated completely with 2 augmentation points
    • there are 2 cops in the police station talking about a movie set in the future about a cop who got killed and then made into a cyborg, one of the cops names is Alexander Murphy  :D
    Major_Lag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Major_Lag

Apologies if I missed a mention of this, but what spec PC are you using to have it run "very smoothly on highest settings"?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Major_Lag said:

Apologies if I missed a mention of this, but what spec PC are you using to have it run "very smoothly on highest settings"?

it's an asus G73 model laptop:
    i720
    ATI HD 5800
    8GB ram
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49  Edited By mfpantst

hey thanks- might go check out the leak...

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By mfpantst

So I'm digging it- feels very much Deus Ex 1.  I'm not sure if reception/press wise that's a good thing.  The first person perspective feels very Deus Ex (that is, feels like a camera on a stick, not a body) but I like that.  Though the classic head bobble is there which makes me smile.  No iron sights unless you have a scope- that makes me smile.  So I'm fairly excited then.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.