Deus EX: HR OXM UK Review

• 55 results
#1 Edited by me3639 (1608 posts) -

Just an FYI for those interested.

#2 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -
#3 Posted by xyzygy (9638 posts) -

This game is going to be stellar.

#4 Posted by Zor (653 posts) -

Early reviews tend to be bias towards game, mainly because the publisher will only allow positive reviews to come out before the game does. Not to say that these reviews are wrong, but that i would wait

#5 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@Zor said:

Early reviews tend to be bias towards game, mainly because the publisher will only allow positive reviews to come out before the game does. Not to say that these reviews are wrong, but that i would wait

These publications are magazines. They work on a different schedule and have to recieve a game early enough where a review is in line when they start shipping them to stores.

Also, that premise is false. Publishers would allow select locations to have a review of a game early but that does not mean the game will have a high score, just that they are given 'clearence' to release a review

#6 Posted by Subjugation (4694 posts) -

This makes me a happy panda.

#7 Posted by Hailinel (22759 posts) -

Excellent news. This game really caught my eye. I hope it does well.

#8 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

I've been hurting for something new to play, hope it does turn out as good as these early reviews suggest.

#9 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6077 posts) -

I want this game, i want it NAU!

#10 Posted by Roundlay (84 posts) -

Happy face. Decided to pick the game up on OnLive for a change. Can not wait for this.

#11 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Unlock on Steam now FFS

#12 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1229 posts) -

@Roundlay: Oh dear god, why? Have you tried the service before? When I did, with the Red Faction Armageddon demo, I was quite stunned to see that the game looked like a low res YouTube-video - and I have 100 mbit fibre.

#13 Posted by DystopiaX (5241 posts) -

@Dany said:

- OPM: 8/10

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...w-8/10-in-opm/

- OXM: 10/10

http://www.oxm.co.uk/31917/worlds-fi...ew-in-new-oxm/

- Play4 Magazine: 88% (360):

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpos...7&postcount=45

- Games Master: 94%

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...view-94-in-gm/

- Pelit Magazine: 91% (PS3)

- PSM3 Magazine: 8.8/10 (PS3)

From gaf, so far the game seems to be sound really great. No actual text in those reviews so we are going to have to wait a bit before I actually commit.

PC Gamer UK 94/100 too, but they've been fanboying the game since the first trailer lol so idk.

#14 Posted by GetEveryone (4454 posts) -

8 days: fucking hype.

At least I have a ton of XBLA games to tide me over.

#15 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@Ertard said:

@Roundlay: Oh dear god, why? Have you tried the service before? When I did, with the Red Faction Armageddon demo, I was quite stunned to see that the game looked like a low res YouTube-video - and I have 100 mbit fibre.

Yep it's pretty bad.. I hope he didn't "buy it" and if so.. best wishes for those $60 down the toilet.

#16 Posted by Cincaid (2948 posts) -

Got my copy preordered! Sadly it's from Amazon UK, which means I'll have to wait a few more days since I live in Sweden.

#17 Posted by X19 (2304 posts) -

Day 1 motherfuckers.

#18 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

Pretty excited for this one. Good to see some positive reviews.

#19 Posted by Tordah (2461 posts) -

This seems promising!

#20 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

If GTA IV and LA Noire taught me anything it's that reviews mean shit and the only way to know how good a game is without actually playing it is to check the forums a week after the game is out.

#21 Posted by Roundlay (84 posts) -

@Ertard: I don't have a TV or console so it's a great compromise for someone in my position. I live in Tokyo with a 300mb/s+ internet connection and have never experienced the quality issues you talk about. (:

#22 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9794 posts) -
@Zor said:
Even if that's true, it still means that the game is good enough for some people to think it's fantastic, which means a lot of gamers out there are going to think it's fantastic.
#23 Posted by Unchained (1080 posts) -

I'm really looking forward to this game. I've stayed out of the loop of all previews and screenshots, so I'm going in blind. That said, looks like I'm in for a good time.

#24 Edited by RIDEBIRD (1229 posts) -

@Roundlay: Please post pics when playing. People's perceptions tend to differ, and it would be cool to see if it actually looks allright. I can't see my connection being a limiting factor, since the service is in no way designed for anything faster than 10 mbit at this moment.

#25 Edited by cheapandtacky (124 posts) -

Because the howling of fanboys and haters is so much more reliable than reviews?

I'm glad the early reviews are so positive, I loved the original but seemed to get the impression after E3 that some of the preview sessions had been less than impressive.

#26 Posted by JEC03 (892 posts) -

I can't help feel that these reviews where paid off I want this game to do good but every time in the past when I see early reviews there high then the major reviews are alot lower to say the least.

#27 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

I still don't quite believe it.

#28 Posted by Cincaid (2948 posts) -

@CaLe: Yeah, it's crazy-expensive in Sweden with new games (around 60 Euro), compared to roughly 40 Euro from Amazon UK. And there's no shipping cost either, so I don't mind waiting those extra days.

#29 Edited by Roundlay (84 posts) -

@Ertard: Without getting too far off topic, I whipped up a few screen grabs. I can totally see your point re the pseudo-YouTube filter, but it's barely noticeable (my end) during gameplay. Without a console at the moment, using OnLive is pretty much a features/benefits toss up. http://cl.ly/9Ix6 http://cl.ly/9JQX http://cl.ly/9JtQ http://cl.ly/9Izz http://cl.ly/9JAn

#30 Posted by Tebbit (4435 posts) -

I bet they gave it 10 just to make that terrible pun.

#31 Posted by DonutFever (3521 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:
@Zor said:
Even if that's true, it still means that the game is good enough for some people to think it's fantastic, which means a lot of gamers out there are going to think it's fantastic.
I think it's more than just a little bias. 1UP Yours used to talk about this, and the Bombcast has once or twice: Magazines promise a good score if they get a review early. Not saying that's definitely the case, but like Zor said, "Wait". 
#32 Posted by Ghostiet (5153 posts) -

Even if early reviews may be biased, I have good feelings about this game, since the response to the leaked version was pretty enthusiastic.

#33 Posted by jonny_eh (58 posts) -
@Ventilaator: Clearly your tastes are highly deviant from the standard. Therefore yes, you should ignore reviews. Thanks for sharing.
#34 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -
@jonny_eh said:
@Ventilaator: Clearly your tastes are highly deviant from the standard. Therefore yes, you should ignore reviews. Thanks for sharing.
Wat. All I'm saying is that the experience actual consumers seem to have with a product is always pretttttty far from what reviews will tell me. I'm not saying GTA IV and LA Noire are shit, I haven't even played LA Noire. I'm just seeing that every single review ever said how LA Noire is a complete and utter masterpiece and how you must be a dimwitted moron with half a brain to not see that, and the response it got from people was "Yeah it's pretty good. Shitton of problems though"

I'm not trying to pretend any sort of a high-horse here. Just an observation.
#35 Edited by Jazzycola (662 posts) -

@Ventilaator: Well in my opinion there are 3 reasons this happens(there are others but these are what I see as relevant)

1. The Hype - People were expecting to much too much from the game and the game not satisfying it.

The LA Noire reviews I read said it was a great game with problems. Some people hear the term great and all of a sudden think "Oh yeah this game is perfect" but it doesn't nearly match that expectation.As for the term masterpiece, it is way overused in gaming reviews to the point that every other game is a "masterpiece". Not to mention, Reviews are supposed to be a good indicator of quality not the end-all for quality of games.

2. The Snob - The fact that critic's reviews don't always align with a certain audience.

Self-explanatory

3. The Buyer - Critics don't have to buy the product their reviewing thus not having a need to justify paying $60 dollars on a game.

The consumer have to buy the games and has that need to justify paying $60 could account for a big difference in opinion.

#36 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -
@weeman105 said:

This makes me a happy panda.

#37 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2661 posts) -

So glad I only paid $35 for this game. It will make it all the better. Can't wait to get that Steam code.

#38 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -
@cheapandtacky: Yeah there was some post E3 buzz (I remember them being bummed about it in the Bombcast too and comparing it negatively to Prey 2 a little) that had me kind of worried, so I'm glad to hear some positive things about it.
#39 Posted by RampageAssassin (416 posts) -

Have my Augmented edition copy pre-ordered. Can't contain my excitement for this ! I've been waiting a long time for a deep game to come along and here it is only a week away.

#40 Posted by bybeach (4615 posts) -

I going to remember these reviews to see if I am being set up for a nasty suprise. On the flipandfoolish side, I did pre-order.

#41 Posted by Solh0und (1681 posts) -

Great to know that this is much better than Invisible War.

#42 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

It falls into a genre surrounded by suck - so you can see part of the reason why it is scoring so highly.

But seriously - it should be OK. It'll tide people over until the next big thing comes out but will sadly never be considered as the best thing to come out this year.

#43 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

i MUST install Deus Ex and its new texture pack and beat it before playing human revolution!!!

#44 Posted by Wraxend (540 posts) -

It looks brilliant but I'll wait for reviews that come out closer to the time of its release. I don't generally trust reviews that come out so early.  
I think its first review was a month before its release.

#45 Edited by emergency (1190 posts) -

So I just went back after upgrading my pc a bit, to play this game with everything as high as it'll go and well it looks fabulous, all the faces and backgrounds etc. wonderful stuff. I was only really there to take a look at it and see how it runs. Was in the Sarif building at the first real mission, where you are responding to a hostage situation. I got sucked in by the music and starting walking about chatting to everyone. Hell I even went into the womens toilets and eavesdropped there. When I got around to getting to my first objective to get my HUD fixed, as a final comment in the dialogue he commented on how I should I grow up and stop lurking around in the womens toilets. I was impressed to say the least, I mean considering how little people will take the time to actually explore the female toilets on the 2nd floor when there mission is elsewhere. That being said it's incredibly easy to get spellbound and just enjoy an hour reading all the promotional signs, e-books, e-mails, watch the tv news or listen to chatter that maybe people will explore. Well after a good 20minutes of dicking around, the guy waiting for me on the helipad radios me for the 3rd time exceedingly angry informing me that i'm an idiot and the situation has got a lot worse. Once I reached the chopper, he was noticeably pissed off in tone and entered into a completely different dialogue sequence because all the hostages where already dead. It brought a tear to my eye, and I almost want to order the extra flashy version with an Adam Jensen statue to support this lovingly crafted game. I can only hope the hours after the leaked build are as strong as those in it.

#46 Posted by MikkaQ (10228 posts) -

I think I can breathe easy now. Though even I enjoyed invisible war, so I guess any Deus Ex is fun for me.

#47 Posted by EuanDewar (4517 posts) -

@Dany: Oh great, Gamesmaster gave it a 94%. You know, the same score they gave Fable 3.

Fuck dude, fuck.

#48 Posted by Gooddoggy (409 posts) -

I'm not saying that you can't trust print media, and I'm certainly not saying that any of those reviews were bought, but magazines are a lot more reliant on publishers for early copies than websites are. If Giant Bomb doesn't get a game early, they can buy it on release and hopefully have a review up in a few days, or at least a Quick Look in a day or two. If a magazine doesn't get a copy before deadline, it could be weeks before they have a chance to review it, so I think there's more pressure to not piss off publishers in order to provide content.

So I'm cautiously optimistic about positive reviews, but I'll think I'll wait for a GB review or some talk on the Bombcast. It's been so long since Deus Ex that Human Revolution seems like an unknown quantity, and people's expectations are all over the place on it.

#49 Posted by Animasta (14466 posts) -

@Gooddoggy: remember that a leaked build came out a while ago, and everyone who played it (hardcore deus ex fanatics as well) really liked it.

#50 Posted by Gooddoggy (409 posts) -

@Laketown: That's fair, but I don't really have a way to gauge how closely my tastes square with those of people who played the leaked build. Just by calling it "Deus Ex," Eidos have managed to split everyone into either the "I love Deus Ex, it'll be great" camp or the "I love Deus Ex, there's NO WAY this will stack up" camp. I haven't seen a lot of middle ground out there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.