Deus Ex: Human Revolution Boss fights, Are they really That Hard?

• 53 results
#1 Edited by gogbot (25 posts) -

Before i Started my play-through of Deus Ex HR , the first things i heard were Jeff's Complains that the Boss battles were tedious/hard or annoying.
That comment was only reinforced by many Forum threads and reviewers saying the same thing.

So on my play-through of the hardest setting i took a rocket launcher with me to the first boss battle.
Only to find i had no need of it , and i was specked for exploration and inventory upgrades. No clock and no armor.

The Boss's don't really have that much health and it is easy to deal with them as long as you have a decent strategy in mind.

I shot him with Rocket launcher and emptied my Assault rifle , it only took me few tries and when i did it was less that a 4 min battle.

I latter discovered how inefficient i was in my approach  , 
A friend of mine playing through with  having only stealth abilities tossed grenade a stun grenade and used stealth to hide for a short while , The boss inevitably blew himself up as he threw grenades around the map in search of him. He effectively beat him without even firing a shot.
And another friend used the common tactic of tossing grenades to stun and shooting when possible.

What amazes me is that given the myriad of options available from your own spec to the weapons  at hand , why do people have such trouble with the boss battles.

Heck even if you go into the battle with the wrong spec all the boss battles give you the means to stock up on appropriate weapons before and during the battle with caches littering the room.

Apart form the 3rd boss battle , the others all provide you a way to beat your opponent though use of the environment alone.
Whether that be tricking them into blowing themselves up or luring them into EMP fields.

With the use of grenades and mines , which are available for pickup during the fights themselves. It is extremely trivial and quick to get through the fight.
Boss don't have very much health and once you have the upper hand its over in less than 5 min's .

Anyone who got the Typhoon system as one of their augmentation choices , will tell you how much it trivializes the fights even more. Not only are they damged a great deal , they are also stunned.

The last battle is so trivial its not even worth calling a boss battle , all i did was stealth , enter a bloody code , wait for 5 min's.

Deus Ex is game that offers you a range of different gameplay options to overcome an obstacle , the same applies to boss fights.

Try to experiment a little , every item in game is useful , 
i only realized the effectiveness of mines half way into the game. 
Hypostimming before and during battle can give you a lot of leeway when you start to take damage.

Try out different Augmentations , Only one or two of them are actually in-effective. Most can be used in rather creative ways.

The only augmentation i recommend people get are the inventory add on's . Being able to carry a decent amount of gear in their in the first place , gives you options right of the bat.
You can never go wrong with a good supply of EMP grenades , Hypostims or energy bars.

#2 Posted by tarquinbb (25 posts) -

i think jeff was referring to unbelievably boring boss fights.

it's like you get thrown into a cage with them and just have to shoot them until they die.  there's no tactics beyond 'hit with explosive to stun, then get 10 headshots while he's stunned, repeat'.

like the rest of the game, it's only too hard if you over-think.  trying to take cover and take potshots is useless....  you barely have to move, just unload a couple of missiles and a load of pistol shots to the face and they die.

#3 Posted by believer258 (11677 posts) -

They are boring. 

I picked up a rocket launcher about thirty minutes before the boss, and he down after two rockets on medium difficulty. 

I haven't gotten to the second boss yet, so please don't spoil it if you quote me.

#4 Posted by StarvingGamer (8030 posts) -

Fuck guess I missed the rocket launcher. It's ok though, I'm being all MGS up on this game and plan on tranq'ing every boss.

#5 Posted by Akyho (1586 posts) -

I found the Bosses easy. Only took me two or three tries to kill them.

I was on Give me a Challenge. I had zero combat augs. So i jump rolled and hit. died twice. Started to use grenades and getting him near explosive barrels blow them up. and then i shot him uint he face with my revolver. I only used my revolver and grenades on him.

Second, I figured EMP since they cloak. So i got EMP mines. Two failed attempts i started again. This time my mines didnt blow in my face. They hut the sides and got eltracuted and i unleashed with my Revolver once again.

Still no combat augs such as extra damage resistance.

Third boss. I had upgraded alot by this time. I had most of the Damage restitance. I saw he cloaked switched on my see through walls aug. I also wasnt fudged due to choices i made. I shot him with my Revolver with explosive bullets and maxed on everything and he died.

Fourth boss. Set it so i took my time done. I also extremly upgraded come then.

My dad takes ages to defeat them. I even take the controlls off him and do it fine.

At had 150 revolver ammo at a point. come the end of the game I had 80 ammo. I had three full boxes of sniper ammo. I had full quiver? Of Crossbow bolts. Whole box of 10mm pistol ammo. tones of grenades and I only ever used my Revolver realy.

So yeah. Its not the game it the tactics.

#6 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@StarvingGamer said:

Fuck guess I missed the rocket launcher. It's ok though, I'm being all MGS up on this game and plan on tranq'ing every boss.

Fairly sure that doesn't work. That's one of the biggest problems people have with this iteration.
#7 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1230 posts) -

They're very easy even on the hardest difficulty setting. Stun them, kill them with something while stunned. Takes about 20-30 seconds.

They are boring and bad however.

#8 Posted by Ares42 (2589 posts) -

Try doing the 3rd boss with modified chip and no explosive weapons. Not gonna say it's hard, but it's damn stupid.

#9 Posted by RavenX302 (258 posts) -
@Ertard said:

They're very easy even on the hardest difficulty setting. Stun them, kill them with something while stunned. Takes about 20-30 seconds.

They are boring and bad however.

this is exactly what i did on hardest difficulty expect for the the final dude. The last guy I just ran to the right side of  the room and shot explosive rounds at him from cover. I don't know if the ending would be considered a boss fight or not...I just stayed in one of the rooms that opened up until the overload thing had happened took a couple shots at her.

Like everyone else says, the boss fights were a major flaw in an otherwise great game along with some questionable A.I.  To me, it cheapens the experience and takes me completely out of the world they created and back into some odd video gamey atmosphere.
#10 Edited by Kyle (2323 posts) -

If most boss strategies involve exploiting bad AI, then yes, they are too difficult. On that note, pro tip for third boss: use the laser rifle. The laser rifle has perfect accuracy while blind-firing, being a laser and all, and the boss won't move from where he's standing since you haven't poked your head out of cover. He will stand in place patiently as you roast him to death using blind-fire. 

Also, pro tip for 4th boss: laser rifle again. Being a laser, it can shoot through glass. Use it to shoot her immediately and win without even having to do any other steps of the boss fight. That one's more an intended effect, though, as it doesn't actually involve AI.

In short, 3rd and 4th boss battles: gg laser rifle.

#11 Posted by Tesla (1909 posts) -

I have had zero trouble with the first two boss fights. The fully upgraded Typhoon weapon system made short work of them.

#12 Posted by Tennmuerti (8012 posts) -

@Kyle:

There are many many strategies to kill them easily without exploiting the AI. The OP already mentioned some very simple ones in his post.

#13 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

Gas grenades are pretty damn effective in my experience, even on 'give me deus ex'

#14 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

I've only encountered the first boss, I ended up dispatching him with a single EMP grenade and just throwing a bunch of gas canisters in his face. Not exactly the way I thought I'd end up doing it but whatever works.

#15 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@NeverDave said:

Gas grenades are pretty damn effective in my experience, even on 'give me deus ex'

This. I never used a gas grenade except on the bosses. All died in less than two minutes.

#16 Posted by ronin00 (28 posts) -

Are they hard? No

Are they good/fun battles? No

#17 Edited by gogbot (25 posts) -
@Kyle said:

If most boss strategies involve exploiting bad AI, then yes, they are too difficult. On that note, pro tip for third boss: use the laser rifle. The laser rifle has perfect accuracy while blind-firing, being a laser and all, and the boss won't move from where he's standing since you haven't poked your head out of cover. He will stand in place patiently as you roast him to death using blind-fire. 

Also, pro tip for 4th boss: laser rifle again. Being a laser, it can shoot through glass. Use it to shoot her immediately and win without even having to do any other steps of the boss fight. That one's more an intended effect, though, as it doesn't actually involve AI.

In short, 3rd and 4th boss battles: gg laser rifle.

I was on my pacifist run , so i did not have a chance to check out the laser rifle.
But yhea, that is a very effective way of getting it done.  
being able to so stuff like this why i like the game , but the AI is really a let down.

I will admit that the boss fights are uneventful for the most part , But it is interesting hearing about all the different ways people dealt with them considereing the varriety of options available.
I would prefer this to just wailing at gigantic health bar or Damage phase followed by waves of minions followed by quick time events.
I think Deus EX HR had the right ideas but the wrong implementation. Or do you guys think they should just have just been Deus Ex 1 style.

Next time round Eidos should definitely develop their own AI
#18 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

I'm not even sure what the devs thought they were doing with these boss battles. I wouldn't necessarily mind something like this if they were fun. But they're not. I tend to load up on some grenades before I get to one, just to blow through it. The game is so heavy on options everywhere else that it just feels wrong to be locked up with the boss and have to suddenly play shooter. The fights feel like a completely different game to me.

#19 Edited by gogbot (25 posts) -
@haggis: It is a radical  game-play shift if your play-style is pure stealth , i took me while to adjust my self when i got to the first boss.

But the way i think of it , even Ninjas get ambushed from time to time. Situations are such you just have to fight  you can't run or talk your way out it.
Considering there are only three such section in the entire game, it not really forced on you. SO much as you need to be prepared for those situations.
#20 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

they not that hard, I did it all on give me deus ex.

#21 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -
@gogbot

They're more irritating and don't fit with the rest of the game.
#22 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

I'm playing on "Give me Deus Ex" , and considering that i died once or twice on the easy difficulty...well, let's just say i suck at games. Now I'll probably have to change my tactics, but it's still nice knowing what the boss will do beforehand. 
Protip: Don't go into the limb clinic in China for that biochip replacement.

#23 Posted by Finstern (639 posts) -

I spec'd up the Typhoon just for boos fights, two hits every time

#24 Posted by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -
@TheDudeOfGaming said:
I'm playing on "Give me Deus Ex" , and considering that i died once or twice on the easy difficulty...well, let's just say i suck at games. Now I'll probably have to change my tactics, but it's still nice knowing what the boss will do beforehand.  Protip: Don't go into the limb clinic in China for that biochip replacement.
What happens when you do that? It was pretty obvious that the Illuminati had something to do with that so I didn't change my chip.
#25 Posted by GrandMarshal (387 posts) -

there easy, they die fast with a few frags

#26 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2139 posts) -

Yeah, not hard, just super shitty.

#27 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -
@gogbot said:
@haggis: It is radical  game-play shift if your play-style is pure stealth , i took me while to adjust my self when i got to the first boss.  But the way i think of it , even Ninjas] get ambushed from time to time. Situations are such you just have to fight  you can't run or talk your way out it.Considering there are only three such section in the entire, it not really forced on you. SO much as you need to be prepared for those situations.
I suppose I can understand that point of view. Still, it's not like Deus Ex has us ambushed very often. Even in the first boss fight, we kind of saunter up, listen in, and then jump right in to the fight. It wasn't an ambush. We could easily have set up at a distance or sneaked in to take him down. It was just ... an odd choice on the dev's part, especially in a game that is otherwise quite well put together.
#28 Posted by 137 (481 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

I'm playing on "Give me Deus Ex" , and considering that i died once or twice on the easy difficulty...well, let's just say i suck at games. Now I'll probably have to change my tactics, but it's still nice knowing what the boss will do beforehand. Protip: Don't go into the limb clinic in China for that biochip replacement.

I had saved my game at that point and was almost ready to backtrack to that point since I did that bossfight over about 30 times. I'd kick his ass and he popped me once or twice with the plasma and I was dunzo!

#29 Edited by Morien (159 posts) -

I used a tranq rifle for all aspects of the 4th boss and it worked, but don't think it matters using non-lethal or not on bosses.

And I also used the blind-fire laser on the 3rd.

On the second I had upgraded augs to resist electric shock so easily took that one down with the environment helping.

First boss like another poster said I stealthed so he lost sight of me then he threw 'nades like a madman and almost killed himself before I shot him in the face.

#30 Posted by HistoryInRust (6275 posts) -

I don't think the issue is that the boss battle difficulty is inconsistent with the rest of the game (which it is), but that they are so poorly designed for a game wherein literally everything else is really spectacularly designed. Their dumb programming and archaic construction are unnecessary, tedious callbacks to a bygone fixture in modern video game structure. It's not fun, in point of fact. Not fun, and a total departure from what makes the rest of the game enjoyable.

Just because there are multiple ways to deal with a boss doesn't mean the boss fight itself is good, or even flexible, or even coherent within the thesis of the game's design.

#31 Posted by Aetheldod (3514 posts) -

I am the only one who thinks that the boss battles were fine? Actually I wanted a bigger boss in the end .... my minigun was over eager :( altho I would give it to the folks who would've wanted to by pass them entirely .....

#32 Posted by Jerome85 (258 posts) -

Yeah I didn't have any problems with the boss fights.  Common sense is underrated. 

#33 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (756 posts) -

Boss battles hard? Really? Played it on "Give me Deus Ex" and defeated them all in couple of tries.

#34 Posted by TheHT (10924 posts) -

The only one that was a bit tricky is Namir, and that's only because he'll occasionally throw a frag grenade.

Fighting the chick was fun though. Felt good when she cloaked and I was all "CYBER VISION WHAT WHAT!!"

#35 Posted by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -

Proxy mines make them easy as hell.

#36 Posted by Korolev (1700 posts) -

They're easy if you know the trick. The first boss battle can be won fairly easily on the hardest setting, but that's provided you know what to do. When I first came up against the first boss, I died about 5 to 6 times because I didn't have any armour upgrades and he could kill me in seconds and one grenade would kill me - plus if you happened to be standing near any barrels, he'd shoot them and you'd die. Now that I know how to beat him, it's easy - you can do it in a minute. But it's more than a little frustrating the first few times, especially since they can come with very little warning.

The second boss battle can be very easy if you have the EMP shielding upgrade, which I had, and the third boss is actually probably the easiest in my opinion. Especially if you have enough typhoon ammo. The Fourth boss-battle is just a pain unless you use the laser exploit.

It's not so much that the boss battles are hard.... it's just that they aren't liked. They represent a radical departure from how many people chose how to play DE:HR, and we didn't like them for that reason alone. Plus, they get repetitive.

#37 Posted by guiseppe (2838 posts) -

I barely had any trouble with any of them. First one is slow so I just ran around and took cover and shot him till he died. Took about 3 minutes. The second one was the most difficult for me, but once I started using P.E.P.S, she went down quickly. The third one was a cakewalk, grenade launcher and he's down in 3 shots. Last boss was also way too easy.

#38 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5138 posts) -

I thought they were quite easy, all you need is three grenades and a few shots and they are dead. With that said they were pretty fun, especially the second boss.

#39 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

lol no. First boss took me maybe two minutes to kill with a couple rocket shots to the face. I could maybe see if you're low on ammo, but they're not that hard otherwise. The hardest part is your lack of health, but even that can be upgraded if you augment appropriately. 

#40 Posted by StarvingGamer (8030 posts) -

@GetEveryone said:

@StarvingGamer said:

Fairly sure that doesn't work. That's one of the biggest problems people have with this iteration.

Weird, never got this in my inbox.

Anyhoo, you can beat bosses using the tranquilizer rifle. On normal it seemed to take about 5 headshots to take the first two down. It's just that afterwards they still went into the death cutscene so there really is no reason to do it this way unless you're crazy obsessive like me.

#41 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -
@StarvingGamer said:

@GetEveryone said:

@StarvingGamer said:

Weird, never got this in my inbox.

Anyhoo, you can beat bosses using the tranquilizer rifle. On normal it seemed to take about 5 headshots to take the first two down. It's just that afterwards they still went into the death cutscene so there really is no reason to do it this way unless you're crazy obsessive like me.

Just like in MGS games. Why does he have bullets holes when i tranq/punched him? 
And yeah, i beat the first boss with the stun gun.
#42 Posted by HistoryInRust (6275 posts) -

Not hard, no.

Mostly just fucking stupid.

#43 Posted by AndrewB (7511 posts) -

On normal difficulty I dispatched every single one of them in a matter of seconds with a combination of explosives (to stun them) and an upgraded assault rifle (and an entirely stealth-based character). But yes, for as brain-dead easy as they are, they're all just kind of stupid. Especially given that the final boss is beatable with a couple of hacks and a stun gun.

#44 Posted by Marz (5646 posts) -

Nah it wasn't hard for me at all.   And i was playing max difficulty.
 barrett
yelena
jaron

links to my vids, if you really want to see how i beat them.

#45 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

They're definitely not hard at all, but like in most other games, I found the boss fights to be borderline boring.

#46 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

They are difficult just because there is no AI, so you basically have to win by brute force. If you didn't know what to bring then the bosses would be difficult.

#47 Edited by plaintomato (598 posts) -

There was nothing wrong with the bosses. I didn't have a single combat focused aug at the first boss. He was a challenge, but with a simple layer of basic strategy no problem. By the second boss it's no problem to have typhoon, your easy out if you want it. And by the third you are as upgraded as you want to be unless you've been purposely wasting praxis points on mark and track or something.  

If you are really playing as a stealth hacker, unless you are running through the game without actually knocking dudes out and hacking, you'll have so many praxis points that you'll easily be combat auged up by the second boss and have just about every worthwhile aug by the third.

The boss fights weren't out of place and they weren't boring. How can a change of pace that lasts less then five minutes bore you to the point that you dock a game with easily 20 hours worth of other gameplay?

#48 Posted by misterhaan (227 posts) -

i found the first one especially jarring.  i play jensen as a careful, calculating, stealthy dude who always checks out a room from cover looking through a doorway / around a corner.  then i get to the objective that turns into a boss fight and the cutscene shows him strolling through the middle of the room into an obvious ambush!  my adam jensen would have known better than that, found the boss dude and knocked him out.  instead, somehow i'm the one who got snuck up on and now there's some huge dude throwing grenades and trying to shoot me in the head, and all i have that's lethal (supposedly) is a silenced pistol which doesn't appear to affect this dude at all.

i didn't like the boss fights because they force you to kill and up until the first one the game led me to believe that there was no need to kill anyone (though it seemed to encourage that in the first attack when you're not augmented yet, and in the side quest asking you to take out two drug dealers -- was i supposed to think that knocking them unconscious would actually complete the quest?)  i was vastly unprepared and could barely get away from him to the ammo and weapons in the corners (and also had to drop stuff from my full inventory to pick anything up), so after a dozen or so short-lived attempts i looked for tips on the internet and found that you could just keep on hitting him with the stun gun (which i assumed had no effect on him beyond temporarily stunning him when i first tried it).

after the first boss fight i knew what to expect but still didn't appreciate having to switch to a completely different play style.

#49 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

They are badly configured towards the rest of the game, especially if have decided to take a more passive approach. It could be entirely possible to inadvertently wander into a boss area, as you immediately get 'locked' into that mission once you enter. 

I made this mistake with the first boss, thankfully I used the stun gun to trap them in a infinite loop. 

From a storyline perspective it makes sense, Jensen is out for their blood so even if he has been non-lethal up until this point its still justified. Its a matter of gameplay and story colliding in a bad way unfortunately, it could completely ruin someone's game.

#50 Posted by rynbeed (143 posts) -

Like a small number of people here, I feel that although the Boss fights weren't hard they were unnecessary in their set up. Locking Adam in a small room with one dude to fight and the only way out is for you to kill said dude? That goes against everything that the game had trained me to do.

If anything the final "Boss" was the most tuned to the game - I could hack, fight, stealth my way around to end. Everything that I had been doing outside of the four (Four Bosses right?) Bosses the entire 25 hours spent in DX:HR.

The Boss fights didn't ruin the game for me, but they were the most frustration and pretty much punched me out of the enjoyable experience I was having in the other 99% of the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.