Deus Ex: Human Revolution huge let down

#1 Posted by xnoxiousx (170 posts) -

I just saw gameplay and 
As I expected, there was no way they were going to make this game a FPS/RPG hybrid like the original, given that it would too big of a risk to take, since the majority of people would assume the game has broken controls and the game would probability flop in the review and sales department if Eidos went that direction.

Granted though.... it still looks like I have fun with the game whenever I decide to pick it up, since it still shows promise in other departments such as the story and atmosphere

but it was clearly took console road and wont be like first game.

#2 Edited by BlastProcessing (947 posts) -
@xnoxiousx: Did you really think that in this day and age where casuals dominate the market, and ADD multiplayer FPS like Call of Duty reign supreme, that anyone would want to make a first person game as complex as the original Deus Ex? Shame, I know.
#3 Edited by MrKlorox (11142 posts) -
@BlastProcessing said:

" @xnoxiousx: Did you really think that in this day and age where casuals dominate the market, and ADD multiplayer FPS like Call of Duty reign supreme, that anyone would want to make a first person game as complex as the original Deus Ex? Shame, I know. "

This.

I mean seriously expecting this to be the game the Deus Ex franchise deserves is setting yourself up for disappointment. Why not just lube yourself and bend over?

Has Fallout 3 taught you nothing?
#4 Posted by pbhawks45 (819 posts) -
@xnoxiousx: Link to the gameplay footage?
#5 Edited by Fjordson (2556 posts) -
@pbhawks45 said:

" @xnoxiousx: Link to the gameplay footage? "

I can't say I'm crazy about the footage, but I'm still holding out some hope for it.
#6 Posted by Rowr (5862 posts) -

The genre is not so simple anymore that there is any chance of recreating faithfully what deus ex is remembered as. 

The best you can do is hope its decent and get over it.
#7 Posted by Tebbit (4572 posts) -

Wait... are you a troll? You've said it's going to be worse, while providing no actual reasons as to why the gameplay looks worse than the original. I'll grant you, it looks more action-focused than it's predecessors, but from what I can see from that video, plus what I've heard from the developers, it sounds like they understand what made the original great, and want to please the fanbase. 

I mean.... the console road? What about this says to you "console"? Furthermore, what inherently makes "console" bad?

#8 Posted by foggel (2777 posts) -

1:36 and 1:44 shows an FPS perspective. Maybe it's optional?

#9 Posted by OmegaPirate (5642 posts) -

it's FPS but switches to 3rd person when melee, cqc killing and taking cover

#10 Posted by artofwar420 (6898 posts) -

It's not an exact copy of the gameplay Deux Ex had, but it looks like an evolution. I don't mind change, and while it seems less like a PC focused game, I'd like to stay positive and think that the devs won't just crap a PC port and call it a day. It looks like a kickass game regardless.  

In fact I would be surprised if they didn't deliver on an awesome Deus Ex prequel on all platforms.

#11 Posted by trophyhunter (6039 posts) -

The game is not out yet and you have not played it.
The first one was a FPS too

#12 Posted by trophyhunter (6039 posts) -
@Tebbit said:
" Wait... are you a troll? You've said it's going to be worse, while providing no actual reasons as to why the gameplay looks worse than the original. I'll grant you, it looks more action-focused than it's predecessors, but from what I can see from that video, plus what I've heard from the developers, it sounds like they understand what made the original great, and want to please the fanbase. 

I mean.... the console road? What about this says to you "console"? Furthermore, what inherently makes "console" bad? "
He's a PC fanboy
#13 Posted by Stunt (222 posts) -

I saw a twenty-minute gameplay presentation behind closed doors at E3 and was pretty much left stunned by the game. There's a lot of choices involved in the game - during one portion of the demo I saw, there were at least five ways you could've broken into this building. The same goes with talking to that guy at the bar. There are several ways you could've obtained the information you needed.

I wrote up a preview on it during E3, if anybody wants to read: http://scrawlfx.com/2010/06/deus-ex-human-revolution-e3-preview

#14 Posted by SpiralStairs (1020 posts) -

All the game needs is some fancy graphics and a couple of nice guns and it will get 9's and 10's all across the webs.

I still have some hope left that it will be a good hybrid game like the original, but it'll probably just be another pretty but generic shooter.

bleh.

#15 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13807 posts) -
@Stunt said:
" I saw a twenty-minute gameplay presentation behind closed doors at E3 and was pretty much left stunned by the game. There's a lot of choices involved in the game - during one portion of the demo I saw, there were at least five ways you could've broken into this building. The same goes with talking to that guy at the bar. There are several ways you could've obtained the information you needed. I wrote up a preview on it during E3, if anybody wants to read: http://scrawlfx.com/2010/06/deus-ex-human-revolution-e3-preview "
I saw that to. But what bothers me is the game looks a bit dated. Maybe its just the color scheme. 
#16 Posted by trophyhunter (6039 posts) -
@SpiralStairs said:
" All the game needs is some fancy graphics and a couple of nice guns and it will get 9's and 10's all across the webs.  I still have some hope left that it will be a good hybrid game like the original, but it'll probably just be another pretty but generic shooter.  bleh. "
Whats wrong with how it looks now?
I think it look pretty good. it doesn't look like a ps2 game.
#18 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8734 posts) -
@drag said:
" What a shock to see people over-reacting about this ...  It looks fine to me. More than fine, in fact it looks good. What about it makes you weep uncontrollably onto the internet? That they showed lots of action bits in a trailer showing off a game? This is hardly uncommon, it's called making an exciting video. Everything good about the original seems to be in there if you ask me, it's not like they're turned it into Call of Duty. And of course it's been streamlined a bit ... if you want to play the original, just go and play the original, but the truth is that by today's standards a lot of that game is quite clunky.  "
Exactly what I was about to say.
#19 Posted by Stunt (222 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man:  You've got a good point with the color scheme. Looks like they're taking the Fallout road. Instead of overlaying everything with green, they're using gold instead.
#20 Posted by BunkerBuster (1054 posts) -

Dues Ex was great because of the characters and the story. It was never about the complexities of sneaking around or the amount of HUD options. If they can polish the story and get all the conspiracies together then it should be great no matter how it plays.

#21 Posted by SpiralStairs (1020 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" @SpiralStairs said:
" All the game needs is some fancy graphics and a couple of nice guns and it will get 9's and 10's all across the webs.  I still have some hope left that it will be a good hybrid game like the original, but it'll probably just be another pretty but generic shooter.  bleh. "
Whats wrong with how it looks now?
I think it look pretty good. it doesn't look like a ps2 game. "
What I mean is that I hope that the it doesn't just looks pretty, but that it's got good gameplay and story and is just as fun as the original as well.
#22 Posted by jkz (4079 posts) -
#23 Posted by FatalError (172 posts) -
@BunkerBuster said:
" Dues Ex was great because of the characters and the story. It was never about the complexities of sneaking around or the amount of HUD options. If they can polish the story and get all the conspiracies together then it should be great no matter how it plays. "
Couldn't have said it better myself.
#24 Posted by mracoon (5084 posts) -

I still need to see more of the game before I can get real picture of how close to the original this will be. Looks fun though.

#25 Posted by oraknabo (1567 posts) -

I watched the youku videos and I really liked what I saw. The social stuff had a real Mass Effect feel and the stealth reminded me of Tenchu, which is a huge plus IMO.

#26 Posted by TheDuke (228 posts) -

i haven't expected it to compare to the first since they announced it
it's more just using the brand to sell 
i'm thinking it will turn out as an alright game

#27 Posted by oraknabo (1567 posts) -
@Fragstoff said:
" because you can all tell so much from that trailer.... "
Some of us saw a lot more than a trailer. 

The game looks good.
#28 Edited by Tennmuerti (8352 posts) -

Deus Ex is getting imo a much better treatment compared to the other franchises that were brought back recently like Fallout or Xcom.
So be happy :P

#29 Edited by ProfessorEss (7679 posts) -
@xnoxiousx said:

...but it was clearly took console road and wont be like first game. "

For a second I thought you trying to make a legit point, before I realized it was just more platform saber-rattling.
#30 Posted by TekZero (2856 posts) -

I have a feeling that I'll have more fun by replaying the first one. 

#31 Posted by Davvyk (780 posts) -
@xnoxiousx said:
" I just saw gameplay and  As I expected, there was no way they were going to make this game a FPS/RPG hybrid like the original, given that it would too big of a risk to take, since the majority of people would assume the game has broken controls and the game would probability flop in the review and sales department if Eidos went that direction. Granted though.... it still looks like I have fun with the game whenever I decide to pick it up, since it still shows promise in other departments such as the story and atmosphere   but it was clearly took console road and wont be like first game. "
dont think its really possible to gleam much information from that footage. There is certainly enough different "skills" on show that point to an rpg esq system but i agree its never going to be as deep as the original
#32 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13807 posts) -
@Davvyk said:
" @xnoxiousx said:
" I just saw gameplay and  As I expected, there was no way they were going to make this game a FPS/RPG hybrid like the original, given that it would too big of a risk to take, since the majority of people would assume the game has broken controls and the game would probability flop in the review and sales department if Eidos went that direction. Granted though.... it still looks like I have fun with the game whenever I decide to pick it up, since it still shows promise in other departments such as the story and atmosphere   but it was clearly took console road and wont be like first game. "
dont think its really possible to gleam much information from that footage. There is certainly enough different "skills" on show that point to an rpg esq system but i agree its never going to be as deep as the original "
No. From what I saw I also sort of agree. It looks dated and seems clunky at times. 
#33 Posted by bybeach (5152 posts) -

I do expect a better shooting system and access to weapons,skills, abilities and such, Deus Ex was as clunky as System Shock 2. That would not fly in this age, so expect..HOPE for a better shooting mechanic. 

And yes, same as others here, I hope it is a hybrid. Sometimes you just cannot combine everything to please everyone. I won't wilt before it's out, more than old enough now to know that  (heh)

But of course the purpose of this thread is to pass judgement before the product is out. I'm getting more and more tired ppl. generating noise without proof. All I know is now the color scheme may appeal to some and not others. And one guy and maybe 2 at least were impressed by a real game-play presentation or such he ACTUALLY saw. 

I' have positive hopes for this game, and am leaving the lube alone. If it doesn't try at least decently, I won't get it
#34 Posted by Davvyk (780 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Davvyk said:
" @xnoxiousx said:
dont think its really possible to gleam much information from that footage. There is certainly enough different "skills" on show that point to an rpg esq system but i agree its never going to be as deep as the original "
No. From what I saw I also sort of agree. It looks dated and seems clunky at times.  "
definitely  looks clunky at times that il agree with. Guess we will just have to see! Have to say the decision to outsource the CG to square seems to be reaping rewards as that stuff looks awsome but The gravely "christian bale" voice of the main character is likely to drive me mad over he course of the game...il just put it down to a cyber voicebox 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.