Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

Deus Ex: On The Fence

killr0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By killr0y

So I've been looking for something that can tide me over until Borderlands 2 and I was thinking of downloading Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Thing is, watching videos and reviews of it remind me of Ubisoft's Rainbox Six series as far as the clunkiness of navigating the game world and a not-so-polished graphics engine. After playing a story-driven, non-linear sci fi game like Mass Effect, would playing Deus Ex seem like a let down?

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Terramagi

The story is linear.

The levels are not.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jerseyscum

@killr0y said:

So I've been looking for something that can tide me over until Borderlands 2 and I was thinking of downloading Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Thing is, watching videos and reviews of it remind me of Ubisoft's Rainbox Six series as far as the clunkiness of navigating the game world and a not-so-polished graphics engine. After playing a story-driven, non-linear sci fi game like Mass Effect, would playing Deus Ex seem like a let down?

It's rough around the edges at parts, but it was one of my favorite releases of last year. Check it out.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By mordukai

@killr0y said:

You seriously just compared Deus Ex 3 to Rainbow Six. Amazing just how wrong you got it.

Play the game. it's awesome.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

I'd say Mass Effect is very linear.

Yes, get Deus Ex HR, it's a very good game. Problems? Yes, there are some, but none of them are that bad. It's got a decent story but that's not really the reason to play it. Besides, you're getting Borderlands 2, you probably don't need a good story to have fun with a game.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Deus Ex is a damn good game you should give it a shot. More action oriented then Mass Effect and while it's not really a full on open world game, it's not completely linear. There's pretty big hub levels to explore and side quests to take, stuff you can find if you wanna look around. My only gripe, and a problem that a lot of people had, is that while the majority of the game you can tackle however you like, which is the cool part, someone totally spec'ed towards stealth is gonna have some trouble with bosses. I negated that by carrying around one big gun for when I needed it. I really liked it anyway, I'd say try it out.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By FancySoapsMan

if you're willing to put up with some dated graphics/gameplay you could play the original Deus Ex which (in my opinion) is a lot better than Human Revolution.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Human Revolution does have a bit of a clunk to it, but it's story-driven, has a great narrative, and while the game as a whole is a rather linear journey, the individual levels are not, and leave you a lot of room for choice. I say go for it.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jerseyscum

The art direction and general look of the game is just damn cool.

Wrect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wrect

Human revolution is awesome. Get it.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jmfinamore

I though it had a lot of problems, but it's okay.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#12  Edited By Kidavenger

Human revolution is better than mass effect. There is a reason the metal gear guys say they want their next game to be like it. Get it, great game.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mordukai

@FancySoapsMan said:

if you're willing to put up with some dated graphics/gameplay you could play the original Deus Ex which (in my opinion) is a lot better than Human Revolution.

I hope that given the really positive reception and the nice sales numbers Deus Ex 3 got that it would spark enough interest in the first one and have someone give the old gal a makeover.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By triviaman09

Navigating the game world and graphics are the least of that game's problems. The more pressing problem is that Deus Ex's game design feels ten years old plus at points and not all the ways you can spec your character and play the game are equally viable even though the game pretends that they are. Also the boss fights are garbage. Nevertheless, it is a story-driven experience, and I did enjoy it. If it seems at all interesting to you, you should give it a shot. It has to be dirt cheap by now.

killr0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By killr0y

@mordukai said:

@killr0y said:

You seriously just compared Deus Ex 3 to Rainbow Six. Amazing just how wrong you got it.

Play the game. it's awesome.

Would Splinter Cell have been a better comparison?

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jerseyscum

Don't get The Missing Link. It is ass.

Eviternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Eviternal

@FancySoapsMan said:

Very much this. Human Revolution is ok, but the original is outstanding.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Deus Ex has problems that I wouldn't forgive if it didn't take ambitious risks. The game is fucking incredible and you should definitely buy it.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EquitasInvictus

Deus Ex: HR is an amazing experience if you're a fan of cyberpunk. Being one myself, I loved it to death. It's one of the only games I cared enough to 100% in terms of achievements and even enjoyed it all the way through. (Only took two playthroughs, even!)

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I dunno what ya'll are talking about, DXHR is polished as hell.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it's Human Revolution, not On the Fence. Where did you even get the idea of such a name for it?

erichr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By erichr

I'm surprised this game is getting the hate that it is, it was probably my game of 2011. It's a fantastic game and the story is great.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By natetodamax

I finished it last night. It's one of my favorite games. The universe, atmosphere and aesthetic are amazing.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ThePaleKing
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bybeach

Deus Ex-Human Rev. fan here....Very true it had some clunk. I think the protagonist's sunglasses made up for it, though. That game just trying did better than I thought some GB GotY choices actually achieving, so I might admit to bias on the matter...

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By Dagbiker

I only noticed the graphics when it would show me this wonderfully lit cut scene for 30 seconds, then put you back into the action. But on no account did it look ugly, and it is a great game. I am playing through it now.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27  Edited By JasonR86

@killr0y said:

You've named three really different games. Deus Ex is nothing like Rainbow Six in any meaningful way. It's not really like Mass Effect either. Here's the thing. If you like the idea of a universe that is influenced by Blade Runner and has open-ended gameplay scenarios then you'll like Deus Ex. If those things don't interest you then move on.

glyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By glyn

@killr0y said:

Which has the worse ending?

Please Tell us Your Thoughts!

codynewill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#29  Edited By codynewill

Deus Ex doesn't have the most coherent story, but damn if I still don't love that game. It's linear, but offers room for exploration and deviation. Also, the upgrade system has the potential to make multiple playthroughs feel completely different. Give it a shot for sure.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By crithon

I say get it the game is pretty good. The style and art direction are really excellent, but the whole shooting mechanics are a bit off, and can get frustrating at all the boss battles. The better comparison is Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodline.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#31  Edited By musubi

If you have the option get the PC version. Its a pretty damn smooth looking game on PC at least. Loved it.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@killr0y said:

You meant to say purchase, right?

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

Reading these comments make me want to try it again. I've owned it for around 5 months and haven't really given it a chance.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Blackout62

@jerseyscum said:

Do not listen to this man, Missing Link is pure original Deus Ex style gold!

Avatar image for zombie_shakespeare
    Zombie_Shakespeare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Blackout62 said:

@jerseyscum said:

I'll second this.

I thought The Missing Link was great. It corrected almost every single issue that people (or at least that I) had with the base game. Well worth it. I got it on sale, though.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By AndrewB

The only clunk I remember is within the last few minutes before the credits (but is redeemed after the credits). Human Revolution is an amazing game.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BisonHero

@Zombie_Shakespeare said:

@Blackout62 said:

@jerseyscum said:

I'll second this.

I thought The Missing Link was great. It corrected almost every single issue that people (or at least that I) had with the base game. Well worth it. I got it on sale, though.

Yeah, I thought The Missing Link was perfectly fine, though I wish it had filled in some more unresolved plot threads such as "Why did Adam and Megan break up in the first place?" and "How did Megan suddenly become a heartless monster who wants to help with the massively unethical projects she is assigned to?".

Also, did anyone else think that the first 10 minutes or so of The Missing Link where Adam is getting tortured while shirtless and bound to a weird big metallic thing was an homage to the first Metal Gear Solid? It only seems appropriate, given how Human Revolution borrowed more than a couple of ideas from that series.

procrasturbate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By procrasturbate

yo, you liked it?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.