Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

Deus EX reality in 20 years?

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Jackel2072

in the Year 2030 A.I. will be a reality. Technology will move so fast that the only way to keep up with it, you will have to merge your self with Technology. This is the Theory of Dr. Ray Kurzweil. he is pretty far from a nut, even if his claims are bold. I watched his movie the other week Transcendent Man. it gave me chills. excited for the future, but chills none the less. but really made me realize just how young and stupid the Human Race is. We think we have come so far, when really we haven't done a whole lot in our short time... yet. seeing the story behind Deus Ex and watching Kurzweil's film there are a lot of similarities, and Deus Ex paints a bleak look at what our world can become with a Lust for new Technology. The film is on Netfix give it a shot.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By N7

Do you know how convenient life would be if I had a toaster built inside of me? Toast any time, anywhere! I can't wait for the future!

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By John1912

We were riding horses for transportation 100 years ago.  We are still stupid as can be, science has given us a false sense of thinking we actually know what that fuck is going on...

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Kyle

I love the kind of "transhumanism" stuff that Deus Ex deals with; I think about it all the time. It's a large part of why I'm so excited for the game.

I'll totally watch that movie, although just judging from the trailer, some of that stuff sounds a little crazy. Did that guy say he wanted to bring his father back from the dead?? >_>

Also, YES: toast, any time! THINK ABOUT IT!!

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jackel2072

@Kyle said:

I love the kind of "transhumanism" stuff that Deus Ex deals with; I think about it all the time. It's a large part of why I'm so excited for the game.

I'll totally watch that movie, although just judging from the trailer, some of that stuff sounds a little crazy. Did that guy say he wanted to bring his father back from the dead?? >_>

Yes but think Mona lisa Overdrive. he wants to in a way rebuild his father inside of the a computer. a Digital soul if you will. Yeah some parts are crazy. however the movie is not one sided. for every theory he brings up. he has another scientist who is in a similar filed explain why he thinks his theory is wrong. If anything you will come out of that movie with about 10,000 ideas for a Sci-Fi book.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ryanwho

I enjoyed that documentary but I agree with another scientist in there. That man's optimistic figures are driven by his personal desire to be alive for when that stuff happens. Naturally, he thinks immortality will happen in 20 years because he has about 20 good years left.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jackel2072

@ryanwho said:

I enjoyed that documentary but I agree with another scientist in there. That man's optimistic figures are driven by his personal desire to be alive for when that stuff happens. Naturally, he thinks immortality will happen in 20 years because he has about 20 good years left.

Yeah i dont know about the living forever stuff. but his theroy on Technology moving so fast that people will have a hard time keeping up. sounds like somthing that could happen. Like the Diet pills he talks about in the movie. being able to to turn off the gene that makes your body store fat, is pretty crazy. and that will most likely come to market in the next few years. but it begs the question. are we making our selfs less human for taking advantage of that stuff? or are we really taking the regins of Evolution into our own hands? I always come back to a quote by the late Michael Crichton from Jurassic Park. "We were so obessed with the fact that we could do it, we never stoped and asked our selfs if we should?"

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By N7

@Jackel2072 said:

@Kyle said:

Yes but think Mona lisa Overdrive. he wants to in a way rebuild his father inside of the a computer. a Digital soul if you will. Yeah some parts are crazy. however the movie is not one sided. for every theory he brings up. he has another scientist who is in a similar filed explain why he thinks his theory is wrong. If anything you will come out of that movie with about 10,000 ideas for a Sci-Fi book.

You mean GHOST IN THE SHELL!?!?

Yeah, I could live with that.

Life is gonna be awesome in 20 years. Aliens, living out GITS. Man, what a time that'll be.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho

Its not a question of if this stuff happens, it almost certainly will. Futurists in general tend to overindulge in what we're capable of doing in a fixed amount of time. Just look at how people in the 50s envisioned people in the 80s for a good example. Most of what he said will come to pass just not nearly as quickly as he predicts.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Kyle

@N7 said:

@Jackel2072 said:

@Kyle said:

Did that guy say he wanted to bring his father back from the dead?? >_>

he wants to in a way rebuild his father inside of the a computer. a Digital soul if you will.

You mean GHOST IN THE SHELL!?!?

No, he means a spirit in a machine. Totally different, dude.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By valrog
    @Jackel2072: Aren't they doing something to prevent aging? And being somewhat successful at it? I doubt you can achieve immortality, though. Well, preventing aging would come close, but that only prevents one cause of death...

Also, don't get your hopes up for the the "In 20 years, we will X" statements too much. Remember how 20 years ago people claimed we will stop using paper in 20 years? And yet we now use more paper than ever before.

Anyway, the next step in humanity should be the double jump.
    cribbel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cribbel1
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BBQBram

Ah, good old technopocalypse. A bit one sided as singularities go.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@ryanwho said:

Basically. He's buddies with Tony Robbins. Yes, that Tony Robbins. They're just rich arseholes wanting immortality.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By probablytuna

Coincidentally, I downloaded Deus Ex today..

Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Edwardryu

2030 is only 20 years later. I will see that happen if it could be. but I will be 59 years old. too bad.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Doctorchimp

Is this on Netflix? I can't remember if I saw it on there or not. I think I need to see this.

Vestigial_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vestigial_Man

These talks cover similar topics very well.  

http://www.ted.com/talks/juan_enriquez_shares_mindboggling_new_science.html 

http://www.ted.com/talks/eythor_bender_demos_human_exoskeletons.html 

http://www.ted.com/talks/harvey_fineberg_are_we_ready_for_neo_evolution.html 

I hope to go into this field once I get out of school because of the limitless possibilities of controlling our own evolution. Genetics and regenerative medicine are equally remarkable in what they're able to do. 

http://www.ted.com/talks/anthony_atala_growing_organs_engineering_tissue.html 

People have already made bionic arms as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpS7Lq7lfAk 

I realise this is mainly links but these videos make their points far better than I could by paraphrasing them and anyone interested in this topic will gain a lot from watching them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.