Deus Ex Stereotyping African Americans?

• 172 results
#151 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -
@Edwardryu said:
are you guys serious? it is just a game. don't take for granted. do you think that many people are still friendly for each race even today? NO. they just pretend to be nice. in their mind, they are not. me? I do. that's why more than 90% of marriage is the same race because they understand each other, have the same attitude.  don't get me wrong.   
Ugh.
#152 Posted by kishan6 (1914 posts) -

It annoys me when people call black people african americans.  Its not racist to call black people black....

#153 Posted by actionTACO (496 posts) -

now that i think about it, i can't think of a single prominent character in this game that is black. i guess there was that couple that was taken hostage and that lady you meet during a sidequest the 2nd time you're in detroit.  

oh wait, there was the gunrunner and i think maybe those two drug dealers. nvm, i give deus ex the "most diverse game ever" award.

#154 Posted by kyrieee (379 posts) -

This is just crying wolf

#155 Posted by Marz (5672 posts) -

last night i was amazed the video had 30k views.  Went to sleep, woke up this morning and it's over 100k views...   obviously getting alot of attention from some folks, (not complaining, more traffic to my youtube channel :D)

#156 Posted by Gangsterlax (113 posts) -

What the fuck were they thinking... and is that a man's voice?  what the hell :/

#157 Posted by DarkShaper (1349 posts) -

@actionTACO: Arie van Bruggen

#158 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I had a waitress that talked like this when I went out to eat last weekend.

#159 Posted by 137 (481 posts) -

@OllyOxenFree said:

Hehe... French Canadians...

Exactly, if I was a french canadian game designer who lived around black people who spoke french-canadian and I wanted a jive esque black voice actor this is what I'd research and ask for. I thought it was hilarious. I know plenty of asians who can speak english perfectly well but de make awe da chinuh men sown de sem. So bam.

#160 Posted by Gabriel (4082 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

I had a waitress that talked like this when I went out to eat last weekend.

Gates BBQ in KC revolves around the concept of angry black women yelling at you in this dialect while you stand confused about what you want to order.

Gamers need to stop acting like they belong to the NAACP.

#161 Posted by valrog (3648 posts) -

That character really annoyed me. Like someone said earlier in the thread, they should just get Nolan North to do all the voices.

#162 Posted by AntoineDiamonds (78 posts) -

who cares..it's a game

#163 Posted by HotSauceMagik (264 posts) -

I don't understand why its racist to have an chinese man speaking english with, what sounds like, an chinese accent. If you went to china/japan/korea etc and found someone who spoke english, it would sound very similar. Why the fuck is that a problem?

This women actually has what sound like a very real accent. People in the deep south (louisiana mostly) speak with what sounds like "normal" southern accent mixed with french. Its called Creole .

I just don't get why this is considered racist?

#164 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

I knocked her out, hid her body, and took her information that pertained to the mission. I didn't want to hear her talk anymore.

#165 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

People are always getting offended over this kind of stuff. I don't understand it. I don't care that mexicans are portrayed the way they are in games. Look at Red Dead Redemption - it made Mexicans look like fucking animals (notice I didn't say "it made US", because I am not my heritage). Your heritage is where you came from, and not who you'll become. Remember that and fuck being offended.

#166 Posted by bybeach (5009 posts) -

Letishia sounded rediculous. Just that.

#167 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

Can we comment on the awful abuse of the rhetorical fallacy of "if you care about this why don't you care about the chinese stereotypes?!?" in this thread? It's a poor and nonsensical response to a serious post. "If you're trying to raise money to fight sex trafficking in houston why aren't you also rasiing money to fight sex trafficking in aruba?" "If you're against the war in Iraq, why aren't you also against the war in Israel?" It doesn't make one wit of sense to try to belittle someones concerns by assuming that they're not concerned about something else that may or may not even be related. And nothing says they're NOT equally concerned. As for the sterotyping of the characters, it's only MORE offensive because she's the only character. It really annoys me when people of different cultures, instead of seeking to understand wh ysomething WOULD be offensive, start telling a person all the reasons why it's NOT.

#168 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -
@huntad said:

People are always getting offended over this kind of stuff. I don't understand it. I don't care that mexicans are portrayed the way they are in games. Look at Red Dead Redemption - it made Mexicans look like fucking animals (notice I didn't say "it made US", because I am not my heritage). Your heritage is where you came from, and not who you'll become. Remember that and fuck being offended.

The odds are good that you don't care because you've lived a life in which you have been allowed not to care. Not everyone does. Everything teaches. Every little bit of media content that is released into the eather impacts the opinions of it's audience one way or the toher for the rest of their lives.Now clearly no one image or sequence is going to framea persons perception fo a group of people forever, but a consistent representation certainly will. Black people have had an unfair and untrue depiction in the media as long as there as BEEN media. And, as a result, many people's views and perceptions of black people are RADICALLY flawed. I can't tell you how many times I've bene told by white epopel that I don't "talk like a black person"because I don't sound one wit like "leticia" despite the fact that nobody in my extended family talks like her and weare very much black people and we number in the hundreds. 

As long as people are thinking about "leticia" when they vote, when they tell their kids who they can and can't play with (yes I've had parents tell their kids they can't play with me because I was black), and when they hire people, I can't afford to just ignore or forget about it.
#169 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1499 posts) -

I had a problem with the Hong Kong speakers in the game. Not because it was racist, but because it wasn't authentic enough. There was a bit of a disconnect for me when this hooker could hardly put together sentences in english but nailed the word "neuropozyne". Even the Chinese was very slowly speaken and formal, whereas real chinese is lightning quick and a mess to listen to. Then again, I have kind of a privileged position where I live in a community where people struggle with english and speak Chinese.

In any case, I just shrugged my shoulders and moved on. Was it slightly racist? Kind of. Was it intended to be as such? Probably not, and that's good enough for me.

#170 Posted by siaynoq (86 posts) -

I honestly thought Letitia was a man in drag. Is she not?

#171 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@siaynoq said:

I honestly thought Letitia was a man in drag. Is she not?

That voice is definitely man-ish.

#172 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1335 posts) -

This is offensive because it's kinda unbearable to experience, because of how dumb it is... nothing more, nothing less.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.