Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

Director's Cut, anything I should know? (first play)

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fetchfox

So yeah, I'm finally committing to play Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I've had the first PC release and DLC sitting forever, but when I noticed that I would get the director's cut at a discount (3,99 EUR) I figured why not. So, anything I should know, tips or anything? I'm a sucker for a good stealth game.

NicksCorner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I am playing a non lethal play through and I like to explore ever nook and cranny.

At first I upgraded Hacking to lvl 2. Then strength to pick up heavy objects. Then a bit more hacking (lvl 3 and stealth). Parachute and Wall breaking next. Finally I upgraded hacking to lvl 5.

Don't take jumping, those places can be reached by rearranging objects.

Same gun can be upgraded multiple times.

Make sure you get those sweet Praxis kits at the LIMB clinics.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SlashDance
    • You will not get enough points to upgrade everything in one playthrough, so choose your upgrades wisely and stick to one play style.
    • Save your money for the praxis kits.
    • If you have the code for a door, you can still hack it to get more experience points. Same thing for computers.
    • Take your time to explore. There is hidden stuff everywhere.
    me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By me3639

@nickscorner said:

I am playing a non lethal play through and I like to explore ever nook and cranny.

At first I upgraded Hacking to lvl 2. Then strength to pick up heavy objects. Then a bit more hacking (lvl 3 and stealth). Parachute and Wall breaking next. Finally I upgraded hacking to lvl 5.

Don't take jumping, those places can be reached by rearranging objects.

Same gun can be upgraded multiple times.

Make sure you get those sweet Praxis kits at the LIMB clinics.

Same here plus going for the no alarm and playing on give me Deus Ex difficulty. I actually only upgraded hacking to an extent and going invisible. I always seem to have >5 paraxis kits in my inventory all the time and throughout my entire playthrough i probably only used a weapon <20 times. The freedom on how you want to approach each level is really cool. The game is really easy, if you are patient. The only thing i hate is that friggin shanghai map, and the exclusion of a map on the main screen. It really has me excited, since this was a success, on the next entry to the series. There is somthing here that isnt at that highest level but it has a foundation to build and improve, ala Assasins Creed.

Immortal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Immortal_Guy

You might not get enough praxis points to upgrade everything in one playthrough, but by the end of the game I had all the abilities I wanted, so you don't have to agonise over every decision - I don't think it's possible to "mess up your build" or anything on that game.

The only thing I'd have liked explained better is the way your energy bars work - you can have as many "battery" icons as you like, but only the first one recharges over time - the rest can only be filled by using items. So, the "extra energy bar" upgrades aren't nearly as good as they might seem.

Also, when you're hacking you can "attack" multiple nodes at once with no penalty - you don't need to wait for the previous one to finish. Took me ages to work that one out...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read the Directors Cut was poop compared to the original. Bugs abound, missing textures, all sorts of issues. Playable but glaring considered it's different problems than the original had.

@immortal_guy said:

The only thing I'd have liked explained better is the way your energy bars work - you can have as many "battery" icons as you like, but only the first one recharges over time - the rest can only be filled by using items. So, the "extra energy bar" upgrades aren't nearly as good as they might seem.

I thought they changed it to two recharging bars now?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@immortal_guy: Yep, you can't get all the upgrades, but if you try to maximize XP, you can get most of the skills that aren't total garbage, by which I mean most of the "stealth" skills that are all just shitty HUD improvements and there are 2 hacking upgrades that "give you more information" but don't actually boost your hacking ability in any way and you should never get them.

And yeah, because of the way energy works, you shouldn't bother filling out the "more energy bars" skills. If you really need to use a bunch of energy in a short amount of time, just hotkey energy bars and keep each those fuckers.

Another note about the hacking: if you hack the enemy command node (the red tower thing), you automatically get ALL of rewards in the datachest nodes and you successfully hack the object. It's not always possible, but sometimes it is actually easier than collecting all of the datachest thing and getting to the green sphere.

Also, I swear doing a nonlethal playthrough is actually far easier than a lethal one, because lethal kills make way more noise, even lethal takedowns (large noise radius) and lethal silenced headshots (a smaller noise radius, but still enough to alert a guard like 5 feet away). Sure, ammo for the tranq rifle is sorta rare, but the only real drawback to a nonlethal playthrough is that guards can wake each other up, but in most cases they're so far apart this will never happen. So at that point, the only drawback is that you need a way to handle bosses (except the Director's Cut has fixed this, presumably) and there are one or two times in the game where you're ambushed by a bunch of guards and it's hard to take them all out nonlethally (but doable if you reload a few times).

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hack computers for more exp, even when you have the codes for them.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Ravenlight

If you're planning on going nonleathal, you pretty much only need the stun gun. Best weapon in the game IMO.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.