#1 Edited by Feels (78 posts) -

My set-up:  
Asus P8P67 Pro 
GeForce GTX 570  
Intel Core i5 2500K 
8 GB RAM  
Windows 7 64 bit 

My problem: 
Running DX:HR with DirectX 11 enabled provides a smooth experience with relatively high frames, HOWEVER, the game will consistently freeze and/or crash at random intervals of play time.  Sometimes after 30 minutes, sometimes 5.  

Running without DirectX 11 \ noticeably drops my frames and altogether provides a somewhat less smooth experience. No freezing/crashing though. Any suggestions?  

Anyone know what's preventing me from successfully running DirectX 11?

#2 Posted by JCTango (1362 posts) -

Is your graphics card overheating?  You might have to setup a fan speed profile with something like MSI Afterburner.

#3 Edited by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

hey look its another game not working properly with DX11, what a fucking surprise :( 

No idea whats wrong mate, its not out in europe yet, ill let you know if i run into any problems, i have a similar rig (worst cpu, better gpu, so hopefully should get similar results...well, i hope i dont get the crashes lol)

#4 Posted by project343 (2823 posts) -

Works fine on my setup, although, I'm AMD/ATI. I've also talked to one of my friends who's having similar issues. Could be certain cards/manufacturers.

#5 Posted by Feels (78 posts) -
@JCTango: Shouldn't be. My 570 is Asus built, so it comes big and bulky as hell due to the bigger fan integration.    

@Rhaknar: Appreciate it man, and hope you don't get the crashes either. With it disabled it's still completely playable and definitely enjoyable, just sucks to give up an overall smoother experience to prevent it from crashing so often. 
#6 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Rhaknar said:

hey look its another game not working properly with DX11, what a fucking surprise :(

Huh? Which other games don't work properly with DX11?

#7 Edited by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow: Dirt.

Edit: Crysis not always so hot either.
#8 Posted by Karkarov (3102 posts) -

Update your drivers if you haven't already.  I am also running a sandy bridge based pc with a gtx 460 and it plays fine on dx11.  Heck I get 40-60 FPS at all times (while frapsing) and the only thing not at max is ssao.

#9 Posted by Tennmuerti (8093 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow
Many have issues at initial release, at least until patched up.
DA2, Civ5  are the 2 I played personally, but heard about others too
#10 Posted by MikeHawk (382 posts) -

My setup is almost the same as yours (the only major difference being that I have a 2600k) and it runs perfectly with all DX11 options on. Not sure what to tell you to do, though.

#11 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I hate all of you for being able to play it. I have to wait until tomorrow

#12 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -

I need to get a DX11 card at some point. Anyone know what Tessellation does in this game or what single card could max the game out?

#13 Posted by theguy (796 posts) -
@Azteck said:
I hate all of you for being able to play it. I have to wait until tomorrow
Me too. :( Brofist of sadness.
#14 Posted by emem (1965 posts) -

@Feels: So this only happens with DX:HR, right? Do you get a bsod or what exactly happens when it crashes? If you get a bsod, which code do you get?

Usually when something like that happens to me it's a driver issue or my CPU is getting too hot. Actually most of the time it was because of an old chipset driver.

#15 Edited by Marz (5651 posts) -

check if your drivers are out of date.  DX11 seems to run fine for me.  I'm using a GTX 480

@Jams Tesselation seems to smooth out character models in this game.  As you can see from this image.

#16 Posted by SomeJerk (3244 posts) -

Everywhere I look the 570s have issues with DXHR, far more so than any other Nvidia model. Kill DX11, Tessellation, SSAO, Vsync, then pray

#17 Edited by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@rebgav: Either I have to run Dirt 3 on only 4 of the 8 logical cores or turn off DX11 for it to run without crashing after a few races.  I do the core affinity thing but it pisses me off.  I'm on an i7, with a GTX 570.  However, civ 5 dx11 works fine, and some of the crysis dx11 stuff hasn't worked so well.  It just seems to me like dx11 has not been as qa tested as it could for whatever reason.

Edit: I really should say that it seems individual developers have not been as thorough as they could be.  My issue with Dirt3 was that people worked out a 'fix' to get around crashing issues, and codemasters couldn't reproduce the crash on their pcs.  This was strange because at least for me, I'm running i7 2600K, gtx570 and 8 gb of ram.  Almost the exact config that the tested crew built +/- a couple components.  Anyways, I don't have highly specialized parts, and it baffles me that a games developer can't reproduce the issues I was having.  It also baffled me that so many people consistently had nvdia 500 level GPU's and i5-i7 sandybridge processors (or the i7 extremes hexacores), and yet for some reason codemasters couldn't work out the pattern (>4 logical cores and the latest Nvidia boards), and work out a way to test this.  Meh.  Anyways- my point is more so that it seems like DX11 is complex in such a way that developer QA isn't work as well as it could.
#18 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

@SeriouslyNow: Many have issues at initial release, at least until patched up. DA2, Civ5 are the 2 I played personally, but heard about others too

None of them have had issues for me, nor have any demoscene DX11 supporting demos had issues/ Are you an ATI user perchance?

@mfpantst said:

@rebgav: Either I have to run Dirt 3 on only 4 of the 8 logical cores or turn off DX11 for it to run without crashing after a few races. I do the core affinity thing but it pisses me off. I'm on an i7, with a GTX 570. However, civ 5 dx11 works fine, and some of the crysis dx11 stuff hasn't worked so well. It just seems to me like dx11 has not been as qa tested as it could for whatever reason.

That's a compiler issue which relates to logical cores. Not a DX11 issue. DX11 is fine.

#19 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow: Nvidia user- which baffles me more because Nvidia provides such good support.  Also, yes I agree it's a compiler issue- however, in the specific example I have if I run the game in dx9 mode it never crashes.  (I don't have to set core affinity).  When I turn on dx11 I have to manually set core affinity.  That says to me that while potentially the issue is a core issue, DX11 is related because turning on/off dx11 features causes the crash.
#20 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@mfpantst said:

@SeriouslyNow: Nvidia user- which baffles me more because Nvidia provides such good support. Also, yes I agree it's a compiler issue- however, in the specific example I have if I run the game in dx9 mode it never crashes. (I don't have to set core affinity). When I turn on dx11 I have to manually set core affinity. That says to me that while potentially the issue is a core issue, DX11 is related because turning on/off dx11 features causes the crash.

Yeah well Nvidia have been making noise about their thread aware driver support for shader performance enhancement (it's been a thing since the release of the beta Civ5 driver) so it could be related. Possibly, maybe even likely, it's actually an older driver causing the issue, or it could even be Hyper Threading (I'm guessing this due to your demonstrated logical core count being over 4). Try the latest drivers (including the new betas) and disabling Hyper Threading. I personally don't think much of hyper threading (especially for games which have more real time demands than, say, a 3D or non linear video rendering app which is what HT is really made for).

#21 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow: I should try that.  Going into task manager and setting the program's affinity to the 4 actual cores tends to work, then ironically F1 2010 works fine  for me, which boggles the fuck out my mind.
@rebgav: I think you have a point there.  Ironically, given my emotional placement somewhat against DX11, I love so many of the things you get with DX11 that I really do like it.  For example, in Dirt3 the snow tracks look so flat and ugly in DX9, DX11 really gives them life.
#22 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@mfpantst said:

@rebgav: Either I have to run Dirt 3 on only 4 of the 8 logical cores or turn off DX11 for it to run without crashing after a few races. I do the core affinity thing but it pisses me off. I'm on an i7, with a GTX 570. However, civ 5 dx11 works fine, and some of the crysis dx11 stuff hasn't worked so well. It just seems to me like dx11 has not been as qa tested as it could for whatever reason. Edit: I really should say that it seems individual developers have not been as thorough as they could be. My issue with Dirt3 was that people worked out a 'fix' to get around crashing issues, and codemasters couldn't reproduce the crash on their pcs. This was strange because at least for me, I'm running i7 2600K, gtx570 and 8 gb of ram. Almost the exact config that the tested crew built +/- a couple components. Anyways, I don't have highly specialized parts, and it baffles me that a games developer can't reproduce the issues I was having. It also baffled me that so many people consistently had nvdia 500 level GPU's and i5-i7 sandybridge processors (or the i7 extremes hexacores), and yet for some reason codemasters couldn't work out the pattern (>4 logical cores and the latest Nvidia boards), and work out a way to test this. Meh. Anyways- my point is more so that it seems like DX11 is complex in such a way that developer QA isn't work as well as it could.

I'm running a similar set-up, 2600k, 580sli, 16gb RAM but I haven't had any issues with Dirt 3. Not sure how I'm avoiding the DX11 issues that other people seem to be having as luck usually puts me directly in the customer support queue.

I'm not sure that DX11 is particularly complex, I think it's more that some of the developers who have built support for it into their games aren't necessarily the most technically adept. Codemasters, CD Project Red and Bioware all seem to have a long list of technical issues in their games besides their DirectX woes, while Crytek took forever to get DX11 into their game after launch (which suggests that it may have been a last minute thing). Until we have games built for DX11 from the start, properly optimized, and hopefully made by competent PC-savvy devs then we can't really know if DX11 is a mess or if there are implementation issues.

DX11 is actually just a much more streamlined DX10 in terms of D3D (the GPU stuff which offers rendering, tessellation and other whizbangers and math). Nothing wrong with DX11 but there are some issues with hyper threading and newer DX11 thread aware drivers I mentioned in the previous post. Hyper Threading is automatically enabled on Core i7 CPUs and I think it's the root of the issue.

#23 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow: It strikes me as odd though that there are dx11 games that have no issues with this while there are that do.  As if there is a way for developers to work around this issue, but they don't always.
#24 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Karkarov said:
Update your drivers if you haven't already.  I am also running a sandy bridge based pc with a gtx 460 and it plays fine on dx11.  Heck I get 40-60 FPS at all times (while frapsing) and the only thing not at max is ssao.
That is good to know. I also will be running the game on a GTX 570 and i hope i won't be having this problem
#25 Posted by Feels (78 posts) -
@emem:   Not exactly sure. Under my Deus Ex Folder within the steamapps\common folders it lists all of my crashes, all labeled as .MDMP files. All of them are roughly 140 KB in size. Any ideas what that means?
#26 Posted by Feels (78 posts) -

Oh , all of my drivers were up to date, so don't think that should be the issue. 

#27 Posted by emem (1965 posts) -

@Feels: Oh, bsod = bluescreen of death (it appears when your windows crashes and reboots), it looks like this http://webderwunder.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/bsod-0p6b.png and the messages are different depending on what causes it. But it looks like a looot of people do have problems with DX11 and that game so you will probably be fine playing it with DX9 until they fix it.

#28 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:

@Rhaknar said:

Huh? Which other games don't work properly with DX11?

off the top of my head, DA2 is the most famous (infamous), but Civ 5, Dirt3 also had problems at launch i believe
#29 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@mfpantst said:

@SeriouslyNow: It strikes me as odd though that there are dx11 games that have no issues with this while there are that do. As if there is a way for developers to work around this issue, but they don't always.

Well it's more likely that most developers aren't doing testing with Hyper Threading enabled because i7's exist in much smaller numbers than i5s and i3s.

#30 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

to the OP: tried it for about 10-15mins (i really gotta go to work ffs) and it works fine with DX11 and everything maxed dude, ill let you know more tomorow when i put some serious time into it.

Side note...damn the game is pretty maxed out :O

#31 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow: So weird.  I would think devs would test on i7's because it's the fastest you can get (except in some cases the hexacore pre sandybridge i7's).  Well, that'll teach me for buying the best...
#32 Posted by Barrock (3533 posts) -

So I started up the game this evening. Everything maxed out. Looks great. Got to the part where you enter the lobby and talk to the woman. I asked about directions to other people and the game froze, and then exited saying it had stopped working. I had the game freeze on me clicking on the tutorial video on the main menu originally but I thought I had just clicked exit too quickly and messed up.

GTX 570 (Latest Drivers), i5 2500k, 8 GB Ram, Windows 7 64 bit.

#33 Edited by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@Barrock said:

So I started up the game this evening. Everything maxed out. Looks great. Got to the part where you enter the lobby and talk to the woman. I asked about directions to other people and the game froze, and then exited saying it had stopped working. I had the game freeze on me clicking on the tutorial video on the main menu originally but I thought I had just clicked exit too quickly and messed up.

GTX 570 (Latest Drivers), i5 2500k, 8 GB Ram, Windows 7 64 bit.

yeah now that I have the game works fine for me.  Same as you but the i7 2600k.  I think a patch came out overnight?
#34 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Played all the way through chapter 1 and the game never froze once.

• Core i5 750 @ 3.2ghz (600mhz overclock)
  • 4GB DDR3 2000mhz @ 1600mhz (supertight timings)
  • Gigabyte P55-UD4P Motherboard
  • EVGA GTX 475 (275.50 driver)
  • Windows 7 x64.
  • Game res : 1920x1080@60hz
  • FXAA High FSAA
  • 16x Anisotropic Filtering
  • Tessellation
  • Soft Shadows
  • SSAO High
#35 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow: I has a feeling that people had issues with the release code (there's already been a patch)  i've had no issues either.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.